ADVERTISEMENT

5 must have qualities in NDs next head football coach

Who said that ? Petersen has made it pretty darn clear about his desire to remain in that part of the country.
Saban made it very very clear he wasn’t leaving the dolphins. Coaches say things they don’t mean all the time

The super bowl ring and outstanding personality should also resonate well with recruits
Outstanding personality? Ever hear him interviewed? He is a bore and not very bright. Belichick makes him look like a fool on a regular basis.

Saban made it very very clear he wasn’t leaving the dolphins. Coaches say things they don’t mean all the time
not in the thousands of conversations i've ever had with him. what did petersen tell you about his avid interest in the notre dame job ?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288

Echo, I’m not sure what your conversations w/ Saban have to do w/ it. He said repeatedly he wasn’t leaving the dolphins for bama. 53 is right, coaches say a lot of things, not all of them are truthful. I’m not saying a guy can’t have a change of heart, but he did over & over say he wasn’t leaving, and then he left. I’m not saying Petersen would come to ND, but never say never I guess. If Kelly ever gets booted, he’s be the first coach I’d go after.

“Of course they listen
Their agents wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. Until an elite level coach shows more than a passing interest in the job I'll remain skeptical.”

I thought you were an optimist? ;)

“Of course they listen
Their agents wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. Until an elite level coach shows more than a passing interest in the job I'll remain skeptical.”

I thought you were an optimist? ;)
the last four coaching searches have sucked the optimism right out of me....

Saying you aren’t going somewhere while you have a job is not only expected, but a must under most contracts. Saban said the same when he was at LSU too. He (and every coach) aren’t going to talk about the next job while at a job.
The question is how do they talk/act when they are looking for a new job?
Petersen isn’t leaving the area. He was offered A LOT of money to coach on the West Coast at USC & turned them down.

I don’t see Petersen turning down more money at USC (like he did before going to Washington) to go to ND. Not happening. Sorry.

Elite coaches, or coaches that envision themselves among the elite, will go where there is the greatest possibilty of success. Success=fame and $$$$$. Notre Dame currently is not thought to be one of those destinations.

Reactions: chaseball
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288

Echo, I’m not sure what your conversations w/ Saban have to do w/ it. He said repeatedly he wasn’t leaving the dolphins for bama. 53 is right, coaches say a lot of things, not all of them are truthful. I’m not saying a guy can’t have a change of heart, but he did over & over say he wasn’t leaving, and then he left. I’m not saying Petersen would come to ND, but never say never I guess. If Kelly ever gets booted, he’s be the first coach I’d go after.
i'm sure lou holtz never intended on leaving the jets either. both guys were much better suited for the college game. coach not once ever told me he thought the dolphins would be his final job. i'm sure when he took the job his intentions were to stay like almost all of us would if we changed jobs. if not why change in the first place. a move to the nfl is moving to the highest level of your said profession. petersen moving from washington to nd could easily be seen as a lateral move by many. i can almost guarantee his agent had been contacted by nd in the past to test his temperature about the job. notre dame is not the desired, sought after job it may have once been in the coaching world. it's just not. sad but true.

Elite coaches, or coaches that envision themselves among the elite, will go where there is the greatest possibilty of success. Success=fame and $$$$$. Notre Dame currently is not thought to be one of those destinations.
sad but quite true.

Did the administration go public on what has to be accomplished in order for BK to keep his job or are we just making this stuff up?

Everything on this board is a fantasy. No one on here has coached, recruited or directed an Athletic Department at ND,s level. Yet dozens of people come on here with the "quick fix" soup of the day.

I fully intend to sound like a broken record. Look at ND walk out of the tunnel, and then look at Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia & Alabama walk out of the tunnel. There is your fix, look like those dudes.

Reactions: chaseball
Farly, I realize that coaches can’t tell the truth about potential moves while under contract, that’s the point. And I agree w/ you it’s more about “how they act” while being asked, and saban “acted” like a condescending jackass about it at the time. As for you saying it’s “not happening”, you don’t have a clue to what Chris Peterson may or may not do if asked to coach at ND.

Oh and the 1 point loss to UGA was fools gold. Game was at home, UGA had a new QB and NDs vaunted O-Line could not gain an inch vs UGAs Front.

UGA would have stomped a mud hole in Miami, just like Clemson did, and they would have beaten that 5 loss Standord team by 2 TDs at minimum ND is not close.

“the last four coaching searches have sucked the optimism right out of me....”

Not sure why, the last search secured one of the hottest, if not the hottest coach in the country.

Not sure why, the last search secured one of the hottest, if not the hottest coach in the country.
why ? davie promoted from within before he was ready, willingham was a poor choice from the get go, weis was like the 6th guy offered the job and truly not qualified. kelly ? yeah he was the hot name so i will give them that. one out of four is not a great average.

Farly, I realize that coaches can’t tell the truth about potential moves while under contract, that’s the point. And I agree w/ you it’s more about “how they act” while being asked, and saban “acted” like a condescending jackass about it at the time. As for you saying it’s “not happening”, you don’t have a clue to what Chris Peterson may or may not do if asked to coach at ND.
as i posted earlier, i would bet buckets of money that petersons agent has been contacted by notre dame in the last 15 years to gauge his interest. him and likely every successful coach. i know for a fact that bob stoops was contacted by nd twice as an assistant and numerous times for the head job. again nd its just not everyones dream job.

Reactions: justified1
I like Washington and always have (my dad played w/ Donny James at u of Miami so I’ve had a personal interest in the program for years), and I realize that Petersen has put them into the upper echelon of the sport recently, but to say it’s a lateral move is a little off, IMO. I think the splash that would be made if he took the ND job would far exceed the splash he made when he took the Washington job. I don’t agree it’s a lateral move and that’s not based on where I think the two programs are right now (pretty close actually), it’s based on ND’s stature compared to Washington. Again, not comparing the quality of the two teams currently, just the program brand.

Reactions: echowaker
Echo, you said the last 4 coaching searches have sucked the optimism out of you but one of them secured a guy that you have tirelessly defended here for years now. That was my point.

Oh and the 1 point loss to UGA was fools gold. Game was at home, UGA had a new QB and NDs vaunted O-Line could not gain an inch vs UGAs Front.

UGA would have stomped a mud hole in Miami, just like Clemson did, and they would have beaten that 5 loss Standord team by 2 TDs at minimum ND is not close.

The OL was playing a true freshman & redshirt freshman both in their 2nd career games against UGA. With a QB who couldn’t hit wide open receivers.

So why didn’t Clemson stump a mud hole agsinst below .500 Syracuse last year?
Clemson the last two years lost to below .500 Pitt & Syracuse.
Alabama lost to Ole Miss.
UGA lost to below .500 GT. Beat below .500 UK by 3. Beat FCS Nichols St. by 2. Beat below .500 Mizzou by 1. Lost to .500 Vanderbilt.

So you act like those teams don’t lose games to bad teams?

This why everybody hates ND fans. Even ND fans bash their own team.

Reactions: Pennick4
As for stoops, I’d put him in the same boat as Meyer that wanted concessions but I don’t know that for sure. But if coaches don’t want to come to ND w/o concessions, I think that says more about the difficulty to win at ND as opposed to ND’s brand. It may not be what it once was, but it’s still ND.

Reactions: Pennick4

Both Fleck and Frost were equally sought after as was Kelly. All three were coming off successes at lesser prestigious jobs. And yet posters here mock both Fleck and Frost as inexperienced or not qualified for the ND job. IF, that is if the ND job was available both of those guys would have been hotly sought after.

Echo, you said the last 4 coaching searches have sucked the optimism out of you but one of them secured a guy that you have tirelessly defended here for years now. That was my point.
" tirelessly defended " ? really ? how so ? i believe he is a good coach, i don't believe he should have been fired after one horrible season that based on his track record was clearly an anomaly and he righted the ship last year. if that fits your definition ok. is he elite ? far from it but he is the coach going forward so lets see how this season plays out. another double digit win season will mean he keeps his job. anything less and how bad it was getting there and he may not. i'm always looking forward to a new season. do i expect nd to win a natty ? nope make the playoff ? probably not. the format is stacked against them.

As for stoops, I’d put him in the same boat as Meyer that wanted concessions but I don’t know that for sure. But if coaches don’t want to come to ND w/o concessions, I think that says more about the difficulty to win at ND as opposed to ND’s brand. It may not be what it once was, but it’s still ND.
that may be true. i remember bobs quote when he turned down holtz to be secondary coach, he said " if nd goes 8-3 lou isn't getting fired but i might ". plus the pay for assistants at the time at nd was abyssmal.

Both Fleck and Frost were equally sought after as was Kelly. All three were coming off successes at lesser prestigious jobs. And yet posters here mock both Fleck and Frost as inexperienced or not qualified for the ND job. IF, that is if the ND job was available both of those guys would have been hotly sought after.
yeah but neither of those guys had anywhere near the years of being a head coach that kelly had albeit at a lower level.

I like Washington and always have (my dad played w/ Donny James at u of Miami so I’ve had a personal interest in the program for years), and I realize that Petersen has put them into the upper echelon of the sport recently, but to say it’s a lateral move is a little off, IMO. I think the splash that would be made if he took the ND job would far exceed the splash he made when he took the Washington job. I don’t agree it’s a lateral move and that’s not based on where I think the two programs are right now (pretty close actually), it’s based on ND’s stature compared to Washington. Again, not comparing the quality of the two teams currently, just the program brand.
Peterson would not enjoy the scrutiny of the ND job. He appears to be somewhat introverted. Great coach but doubt he has any interest.

i don't think its a lateral move either bit i do think it would be seen by some as one.

Reactions: francade
The OL was playing a true freshman & redshirt freshman both in their 2nd career games against UGA. With a QB who couldn’t hit wide open receivers.

So why didn’t Clemson stump a mud hole agsinst below .500 Syracuse last year?
Clemson the last two years lost to below .500 Pitt & Syracuse.
Alabama lost to Ole Miss.
UGA lost to below .500 GT. Beat below .500 UK by 3. Beat FCS Nichols St. by 2. Beat below .500 Mizzou by 1. Lost to .500 Vanderbilt.

So you act like those teams don’t lose games to bad teams?

This why everybody hates ND fans. Even ND fans bash their own team.

Side bar, one of the difference between the free board and the paid board there are more negative posters on the free board. also people are less likely to ignore you on the paid board. Part of it is the conversations go to social and political conversations

whats with the pipe dreams ? can't find a suitable REALISTIC candidate ?
If Chris Petersen is a pipe dream at freaking Washington then Notre Dame is in a worse spot then I thought... be cutting edge make him the highest paid coach in CFB. ND can afford that and still feed every poor kid in Indiana with the money left over

Echo, it seems as though u r one of the lead defenders of Kelly. If im wrong, I stand corrected, I’m not saying you’re completely wrong for doing so either. All I’m saying is that you mentioned how the latest coaching searches have made you a bit cynical about ND’s chances for landing a top notch coach and I was just pointing out that our last search garnered the hottest name in the business at that time. Have faith, maybe we will surprise you (if we are looking anytime soon).

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Echo, it seems as though u r one of the lead defenders of Kelly. If im wrong, I stand corrected, I’m not saying you’re completely wrong for doing so either. All I’m saying is that you mentioned how the latest coaching searches have made you a bit cynical about ND’s chances for landing a top notch coach and I was just pointing out that our last search garnered the hottest name in the business at that time. Have faith, maybe we will surprise you (if we are looking anytime soon).
i guess i am. do i think he's been fabulous ? hell no. i also think change for the sake of change rarely works out. last year was a great bounce back season. now, what can he do to keep the arrow pointing up ? he's a proven commodity and until the powers that be think someone else can do a better job he's the guy.

i guess i am. do i think he's been fabulous ? hell no. i also think change for the sake of change rarely works out. last year was a great bounce back season. now, what can he do to keep the arrow pointing up ? he's a proven commodity and until the powers that be think someone else can do a better job he's the guy.
My opinion- he has done an admirable job for the most part, has the arrow pointing in the right direction. I would be so happy if he can squeeze out 2 more 10 wins and maybe a big bowl and go out as a very highly looked upon coach.

Nothing personal, but his history shows that it isn’t likely for him to do that. I think both parties realize he is getting pretty burnt out. Maybe it would be best for him to take a PAC 12 or Big 12 job where winning 9 games is a great season and he can ride off in the sunset. If he does prove he can win big in the next few years then I will gladly shut up and sing his praises again.

Petersen will never leave boise:
Petersen will never win against a real schedule
Petersen will never come to ND

Regarding #2: Petersen has won against the real schedule of the Huskies, but at a MUCH lower clip than how he did in Boise. .903 conference win percentage vs. .638 in Washington.

He’s clearly glued to the Pacific Northwest. Making him the highest paid coach in CFB and giving him the most powerful brand in the country won’t have any impact on him wanting to come to ND.

Please, if we can’t steal a coach from Washington that’s trouble

1a- John Harbaugh (a little more potential than Petersen
1b Petersen
3- Brohm
4- Kyle Whittingham
5- Pat Fitzgerald

Last edited:
BK was Chris Petersen back in the mid 00s (turning around multiple programs and even leading Cincinnati of all places to a undefeated season/near national championship game).

We need a good coach (which I believe BK and Chris Petersen are) who can also recruit above NDs baseline and attract star athletes again. Petersen has no such track record of being a monster recruiter.

There's a reason nobody took Washington or MSU or Wisconsin or any other cinderella team that made the playoff seriously (their 2 deep was out-talented by their oppositions 3rd teams/scout teams when they got there).

Last edited:
BK was Chris Petersen back in the mid 00s (turning around multiple programs and even leading Cincinnati of all places to a undefeated season/near national championship game).

We need a good coach (which I believe BK and Chris Petersen are) who can also recruit above NDs baseline and attract star athletes again. Petersen has no such track record of being a monster recruiter.

There's a reason nobody took Washington or MSU or Wisconsin or any other cinderella team that made the playoff seriously (their 2 deep was out-talented by their oppositions 3rd teams/scout teams when they got there).
John Harbaugh would be a monster recruiter. Amazing personality and harder worker + super bowl. I’d get ray Lewis and Ed reed to help me out too

Brohm is probably the best recruiter of the bunch of 5 guys I listed previously. He would bring ND to OSU levels in regards to recruiting. I’d still take Petersen as he is much more seasoned.

None of those names will ever be Head Coach at ND. You need to let this go.
Kelly:ND —> Winter Itch:Seniors

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT