ADVERTISEMENT

5 must have qualities in NDs next head football coach

Many NFL guys who know what they’re talking about say this is his last season with the Ravens. I could see him doing tv for a year or 2 then wanting to coach again. Also a Catholic and I believe his daughter may be going to ND. Very realistic
No dopey Harbaughs. How about Bill Belichick. :D

Pennick must think ND is working on its 9th consecutive National title.
But,
“Kelly, who is now 11-14 (.440) against teams ranked in the Top 25 at the time of the game. Kelly is also 1-5 against teams ranked No. 10 or higher at game time. He just doesn’t win big games.”
6/17 article. Through 90 games.

Pennick, how many W’s does Kelly have vs higher ranked teams? losses? Bowl W’s vs Top 10 teams.

There may be factors faced that other ND head coaches of past did not but, it is what it is.
That is not poster posting, just the history.

Last edited:
Pennick must think ND is working on its 9th consecutive National title.
But,
“Kelly, who is now 11-14 (.440) against teams ranked in the Top 25 at the time of the game. Kelly is also 1-5 against teams ranked No. 10 or higher at game time. He just doesn’t win big games.”
6/17 article.

Pennick, how many W’s does Kelly have vs higher ranked teams? losses? Bowl W’s vs Top 10 teams.

There may be factors faced that other ND head coaches of past did not but, it is what it is.
That is not posting, just the history.
This just in. Coach Kelly will lead the ND team on to the field this year!
I can't wait!

Many NFL guys who know what they’re talking about say this is his last season with the Ravens. I could see him doing tv for a year or 2 then wanting to coach again. Also a Catholic and I believe his daughter may be going to ND. Very realistic
Not based on that logic. In 2021, your timetable, harbaugh will have been completely removed from the college game for 24 years. That should resonate quite well with recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
Not based on that logic. In 2021, your timetable, harbaugh will have been completely removed from the college game for 24 years. That should resonate quite well with recruits.
His back up pick is Marv Levy.

Fans want a young coach but then they say they want an experienced coach. When you are trying to identify and hire that next Hall of Fame head coach, you will need to be willing to take a degree of risk.

And yes, Kelly will lead ND onto the field for his 9th season. And yes, when Kelly leaves in 2022, I think he will be a legend in the eyes of ND fans.

And Pennick, thanks for answering those questions, in your usual factless fashion.

Last edited:
The super bowl ring and outstanding personality should also resonate well with recruits

Actually, the question I asked, I asked because, I have not found the actual up to date stats.
Kelly record vs teams ranked higher a/o game time
Kelly record vs teams ranked in the top 10 a/o game time.
Kelly record vs teams in the top 25 a/o game time.

Anyone have those stats.

Let's just say that the anti-BK argument has a lot of merit to it and they have successfully convinced everyone on this board that BK has worn out his welcome. Now what? How does any message board discussion translate to Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Fleck, or Brohm coming to ND? It doesn't. BK leaves when he is good and ready or when Jack says it's time. Not a moment sooner. I'm surprised that no one has made the suggestion that ND tanks this season to make things go quicker.

Very likely to happen.in fact, more than very likely

Let's just say that the anti-BK argument has a lot of merit to it and they have successfully convinced everyone on this board that BK has worn out his welcome. Now what? How does any message board discussion translate to Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Fleck, or Brohm coming to ND? It doesn't. BK leaves when he is good and ready or when Jack says it's time. Not a moment sooner. I'm surprised that no one has made the suggestion that ND tanks this season to make things go quicker.

Merit or no merit, this as much about Notre Dame as it is Kelly. Kelly has 4 years to go and they will play out regardless of who else is or becomes available.

Last edited:
The super bowl ring and outstanding personality should also resonate well with recruits
because there is a long storied history of super bowl winning coaches returning to the college game after more than two decades of being away from it. gotta think you would have a better pipe dream than that. your Brohm scenario while highly unlikely is more plausible.

Reactions: Pennick4
Year 1 Year 9 Year 19 it is completetly and utterly irrelevant. The talent is what the talent is...some of you savants seemingly believe a football roster is like a fine.

The #2 guy in the College Football business said NO, to his dream job. Why? Because the ND fan base has Dom Perignon champagne expectations with a Cooks champagne roster...the fan base should just pop the cork and enjoy a 10 win season, because 9 times out of 10 seasons thats the self imposed ceiling ND Football has put on itself...but keep blaming the HC...

Holtz 94-96 Davie, Ty, Weis & BK...who is going to be the next patsie to take this thankless job? Whomever it is should ask for 20M a year.

Is it the arrests or the losses to Tulsa USF and Duke that excite you the most?
actually its the optimism of a new season, a team with lots of talent returning coming off a 10 win season in 2017. the season can't come fast enough. the question is would you prefer notre dame to go 4-8 or 11-2 in 2018 ? i'm sure we'd all prefer a perfect season but those are a rarity for pretty much every team.

Top to bottom the most talented roster in 10 years. Then consider the foe friendly schedule, there is real cause for high expectations. Plus Bodi has promised 13-0. Has he ever been wrong!

Reactions: echowaker
Watch the OL, the QB position, the RB position, the late season schedule where Jack has this team traveling all over tarnation with some pretty hefty games as part of that world tour, and of course, our favorite month for ND football....November. As a fan, I am tamping down any high expectations. Just going to enjoy the season....one game at a time.

Reactions: NDlb46
Watch the OL, the QB position, the RB position, the late season schedule where Jack has this team traveling all over tarnation with some pretty hefty games as part of that world tour, and of course, our favorite month for ND football....November. As a fan, I am tamping down any high expectations. Just going to enjoy the season....one game at a time.

OMG! I hope Bodi is not online, yee of lilfaith in Bodi!

OMG! I hope Bodi is not online, yee of lilfaith in Bodi!
Well, everybody has their own way of coping with the season. I'm not going to let any possible fails take away from my enjoyment of watching OUR kids play from week to week. When I was younger, I was definitely more intense, but with age comes an appreciation for things that youth might not see. For example, took a three day trip to Columbus, Ohio earlier this summer and managed to talk my way into the OSU stadium for a quick picture session. I'm no OSU fan but one should appreciate the history of this stadium and I do. I probably wouldn't have 20 years ago or so. So, I'll be at the home games and I'll be watching on TV the away games and I will try to enjoy every minute of it.

Reactions: francade
i think the whole schedule thing is WAY overblown.

i think the whole schedule thing is WAY overblown.
As a fan, I don't. I think that if you talk to BK and the staff, off the record, they wouldn't be too pleased with all this travel from one end of the country to the other and back again. It's the crucial time of the season and Jack made it needlessly harder just to please....wait for it....the east coast NY crowd. Cuse at Yankee Stadium is ridiculous. Shamrock game should have been special from the start. Is a game against Cuse special? Yankee Stadium has been done. Fenway....done. Jack gave up a home game for this nonsense. Now it sets up in crunch time like this....out east vs Navy, Chicago Northwestern, home FSU, out east for Cuse, out west USC.

Fans want a young coach but then they say they want an experienced coach. When you are trying to identify and hire that next Hall of Fame head coach, you will need to be willing to take a degree of risk.

And yes, Kelly will lead ND onto the field for his 9th season. And yes, when Kelly leaves in 2022, I think he will be a legend in the eyes of ND fans.

And Pennick, thanks for answering those questions, in your usual factless fashion.
Purs,
The fact that you thought Mike Sanford should have been replaced BK eliminates you from any head coaching discussion.

As a fan, I don't. I think that if you talk to BK and the staff, off the record, they wouldn't be too pleased with all this travel from one end of the country to the other and back again. It's the crucial time of the season and Jack made it needlessly harder just to please....wait for it....the east coast NY crowd. Cuse at Yankee Stadium is ridiculous. Shamrock game should have been special from the start. Is a game against Cuse special? Yankee Stadium has been done. Fenway....done. Jack gave up a home game for this nonsense. Now it sets up in crunch time like this....out east vs Navy, Chicago Northwestern, home FSU, out east for Cuse, out west USC.

If the admin is committed to the Shamrock series in order to boost ND's "national brand" image, the question is whether you want to give up a GOOD home game (USC, Michigan, FSU, etc) or an also ran home game (Syracuse, NCState, etc). Playing NC State in Bank of America Stadium is arguably more "special" than playing them in South Bend; or at least, that seems to be your AD's thinking.

i said " i think " . don't care what others do.

because there is a long storied history of super bowl winning coaches returning to the college game after more than two decades of being away from it. gotta think you would have a better pipe dream than that. your Brohm scenario while highly unlikely is more plausible.
In what world is someone coming from Cincinnati more qualified than someone who led an NFL team to the Super Bowl? Also love his special teams background and attitude. College players would love his attitude

In what world is someone coming from Cincinnati more qualified than someone who led an NFL team to the Super Bowl? Also love his special teams background and attitude. College players would love his attitude
who said the guy from cincinnati was ? enjoy your fantasy.

of course i do. i also think harbaugh is way too far removed from the college game.
That’s a fair criticism. I think the postives outweigh the negatives by far. Petersen is probably my #1 choice. Money talks and if ND is serious about winning they’ll pay up

The guy from Cincy had a resume. A damn good one. He was a hot ticket and not many Irish fans were not in favor of his hire. I tend to agree that when the time comes for a new hire, ND should throw money at their #1 guy. If you want him, go ahead and get him. But, as you all know, as soon as an outside offer has been made, the current employer nails down the hot coach to a long term with all kinds of perks and promises, if even a rumor about their coach is heard.

Kelly had a big year in the Big East (football not basketball). One of the hot young coaches (Frost?) had that kind of year last year. ND is not currently (till 2022 at earliest) in the market for a head coach...even if Vince Lombardi in his prime, was available, ND is set in it’s course.

The guy from Cincy had a resume. A damn good one. He was a hot ticket and not many Irish fans were not in favor of his hire. I tend to agree that when the time comes for a new hire, ND should throw money at their #1 guy. If you want him, go ahead and get him. But, as you all know, as soon as an outside offer has been made, the current employer nails down the hot coach to a long term with all kinds of perks and promises, if even a rumor about their coach is heard.
I 100% agree. Just because BK’s time is damn near up in many fans opinions does not mean he wasn’t the right hire.

We don’t actually know that Petersen won’t leave the northwest to come to ND until ND asks and he says no. I realize that’s the talk, but when ND comes calling, no matter where the program is perceived to be currently, coaches will at least listen. Who knows unless we offer.

We don’t actually know that Petersen won’t leave the northwest to come to ND until ND asks and he says no. I realize that’s the talk, but when ND comes calling, no matter where the program is perceived to be currently, coaches will at least listen. Who knows unless we offer.
Of course they listen
Their agents wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. Until an elite level coach shows more than a passing interest in the job I'll remain skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT