ADVERTISEMENT

5 must have qualities in NDs next head football coach

I feel a 9-10 win season. It's the homer in me. Gotta get this November thing fixed though.

at minimal 10 games this year and I would be still disappointed
i guess it depends on your expectations. i think this team is more than capable of going 11-1 and then who knows what happens after that. its really tough to win ten games or more especially with a formidable schedule though. luck both good and bad almost always are a factor in the outcome any teams season. bad bounce, bad call, tipped ball, a slip on either side of the ball, inadvertent whistle. i've seen them all in my time.

twelve and oh or we let you go
eleven and one or you'll be done
ten and two or we get someone new
nine and three and we set you free
eight and four and we show you the door

I wouldn't not want to not be BK this season

Reactions: NDIRISH53

You don't see triple negatives in a sentence often. I'm not sure if you would or wouldn't want to be BK this season.

Reactions: Telx1

Well, I was primary inquiring about fan reaction. As for ND, evidence is that Kelly cannot be fired at ND for anything football performance related.

Well, I was primary inquiring about fan reaction. As for ND, evidence is that Kelly cannot be fired at ND for anything football performance related.
i don't agree with that. had he followed up 2016 with a 6-6 record in 2017 he'd be long gone.

Not sure I'd say Purdue's schedule is brutal.. maybe for them but if UM or OH St has that schedule (which they basically do) its soft as Twinkie fillin.

Mizzou+BC+EMU for OOC and SPatrty/anOSU in their 9 conference games is no slouch. The BUG 14 may have unbalanced divisions, but the East has the tomato cans at the bottom while the west has a lot of known upset risks.

True. Lay an egg this year and he may get canned though.

An egg would be 6-6 and a bad one sided minor bowl loss.
(Must include losses to UM, FSU,SU,USC)

It will not be easy for BK to get fired, that is barring some deviant behavior.

1. Players over coaches, players over plays
2. SELL OUT for recruiting, understand the sheer importance of having a roster full of the best athletes in the country
3. Create an attractive/popular/trendy brand of football that resonates with the nations best prep stars out of high school every year
4. Be remarkable / differentiate / capture national media attention (e.g. think Kiffin with his twitter account trolling Saban, or Harbaugh being a member of a high school football chain gang, etc.)
5. Be highly analytical and have a firm understanding of data trends/next gen statistics/sabermetrics in football (e.g. the work being done over at footballoutsiders.com)
BONUS: Demand the highest pay among assistant coaches. Make NDs coaching staff the envy of college football again/a destination job not a springboard for another program who actually rewards their coaches.
BONUS II: Demand a recruiting staff that rivals that of Ohio State & Georgia where some 100+ staff members are involved with scouting and recruiting talent.

this isn't 1960 anymore.

the days of head coaches being stereo typical middle aged hard @sses who runs players into the ground/barking at their assistants/behaving like drill sergeants (e.g. Brian Kelly's style) are long gone/ in the past
I definitely agree on number (5) the two bonus qualities! Whether it happens or not is a whole nother story.

Did the administration go public on what has to be accomplished in order for BK to keep his job or are we just making this stuff up?

Reactions: justified1
Did the administration go public on what has to be accomplished in order for BK to keep his job or are we just making this stuff up?

We make stuff up all the time. Creativity is a pre-requisite.
Reading between the lines, the lines that we have no access to, as mentioned, it will be very difficult for BK to get fired at ND.

Let's face facts, the numbers don’t lie, it’s been 30 years of mediocrity. Since Lou, and Barry left town no one fears preparing for ND. Whoever is responsible for highering coaches needs to self examine those decisions. The fan base needs to be more diligent, and call for change. BK is an okay- good coach, that’s it. You want to be great..... hire a great coach.

Reactions: chitown sot
Let's face facts, the numbers don’t lie, it’s been 30 years of mediocrity. Since Lou, and Barry left town no one fears preparing for ND. Whoever is responsible for highering coaches needs to self examine those decisions. The fan base needs to be more diligent, and call for change. BK is an okay- good coach, that’s it. You want to be great..... hire a great coach.
Seeing posts like these warm my heart. Couldn’t have said it any better. Don’t settle for mediocrity!

no but it really is just common sense. if this season is a repeat of 2016 you don't think nd will be in the market for another coach ?

duh, and what " great " coach has shown anything more than a passing interest in the last 4 coaching searches ? easy to say, much harder to do given the conditions in place.

Reactions: justified1
no but it really is just common sense. if this season is a repeat of 2016 you don't think nd will be in the market for another coach ?
I don't know. What about seven wins? Eight? Seven or eight with a bowl loss? Seven or eight with a bowl win? Nine with a bowl loss? Six wins or less might start a discussion but I'm not sure the administration would make a change without knowing they can get a realistic hire who would be an improvement from BK. Is there somebody out there like that who is a realistic upgrade and would definitely take the ND position? I don't believe in making a change just for the sake of making a change with no solid plan supporting the change. Maybe changing the strategy by going after the best proven assistants/recruiters money can buy and leave BK in place. I'm just a fan speaking here with no experience at hiring or firing Head Coaches. As of now, we have a Head Coach.

Reactions: Pennick4
I don't know. What about seven wins? Eight? Seven or eight with a bowl loss? Seven or eight with a bowl win? Nine with a bowl loss? Six wins or less might start a discussion but I'm not sure the administration would make a change without knowing they can get a realistic hire who would be an improvement from BK. Is there somebody out there like that who is a realistic upgrade and would definitely take the ND position? I don't believe in making a change just for the sake of making a change with no solid plan supporting the change. Maybe changing the strategy by going after the best proven assistants/recruiters money can buy and leave BK in place. I'm just a fan speaking here with no experience at hiring or firing Head Coaches. As of now, we have a Head Coach.
i just don't think he can survive two subpar seasons out of three nor should he in my opinion. what is subpar ? at this point anything less than 9 wins should put some serious heat on him i believe. less than 8 and i think he's definitely gone.

i just don't think he can survive two subpar seasons out of three nor should he in my opinion. what is subpar ? at this point anything less than 9 wins should put some serious heat on him i believe. less than 8 and i think he's definitely gone.

I don't know if the correlation is that tight. But if it is, 2012 bought him nearly 10 losses, in 2015 he torched all his goodwill in the next year, so 2017 bought BK another 8 to 10 losses which will likely last two years.

Of course the reality is that ND could not afford to buy him out in 2016, and the lag on this website is beyond acceptable.

well, two of the last three seasons have resulted in ten wins so there goes your logic.
Wow... a 10 win season where your best win was Temple and you lost to every good team, followed by a total dumpster fire of 4-8, followed by the biggest November collapse I remember in the longest time. What a job BK

Reactions: chitown sot
ADVERTISEMENT