ADVERTISEMENT

18 Boykin, 19 Claypool

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
We lack any returning headliner at WR. First time in a few years. Boykin got us Pitt and Chase Va Tech.

Does this help us? Book not staring down Chase? Spread it around to a ton of young talent?

Who takes Claypools receptions? Last two years we needed that dominant player. Can anyone step in?

A ton of young talent? Notre Dame has a five-star wide receiver who is a true freshman and then a whole lot of jags they need Austin to come back a total stud next year

We lack any returning headliner at WR. First time in a few years. Boykin got us Pitt and Chase Va Tech.

Does this help us? Book not staring down Chase? Spread it around to a ton of young talent?

Who takes Claypools receptions? Last two years we needed that dominant player. Can anyone step in?
Austin is key. Also if Kmet comes back he'll get more touches. Tremble and Lenzy will have to step up

Ouch. Book won’t have a slew of guys to help him. 2020 will be a solid season. I hope we win every game. However, I’m not naive. I’m personally feeling like 2022 can be a special season. We have to deal with Ohio State, but who knows if they’ll be as good after Urban’s impact starts to wane. We will have a lot of talent, especially if 2021 recruiting finishes off well. Also a lot of young guys so maybe it’s 2023? Either way, I’m excited for the bowl game, next season, and the 2021 season. I’m just very ready for the next stage/era under BK. I just don’t see us elite enough to win a playoff game until at least 2022.

Last edited:
A ton of young talent? Notre Dame has a five-star wide receiver who is a true freshman and then a whole lot of jags they need Austin to come back a total stud next year

Agree.

We have Austin and Johnson and then a bunch of schleps after that.

I'm hopeful that Johnson is a pretty polished player like Floyd coming in and can contribute immediately but that does not seem to be the trend under Kelly.

I'm also guessing that Austin is going to take a while to get integrated back into the offense as well given the Kelly factor.

Lenzy is an okay gadget player but has a long ways to go. Still looks pretty awkward out there trying to play as an every down type WR. Not sure if he will ever get there. Just doesn't look like a very natural football player. Just a fast guy trying to play football.

Keys will never be put into a position to utilize his primary strengths (short game, run after the catch) under Kelly's scheme so while I consider him to be talented in a vacuum (at least allegedly from the various practice reports but honestly hasn't really flashed much in game opportunities), all he really will be in the Kelly scheme is an undersized possession receiver as he doesn't appear to have a deep game component to him.

After those guys, you truly have a dearth of talent at the position. We are talking back to the dark days of guys like Robby Parris, Jon Goodman, David Grimes, George West, etc. Guys that just are not rosterable at this level. The other two incoming receivers unfortunately should not have been adds either but need to fill out the roster I suppose. Hopefully they at least do right and move Watts over to DB.

When I think of the skill position players next year, it sends chills down my spine and not in a good way.

Likely lineup of Book, whatever RB (they're all pretty brutal in their own ways), Lenzy, Keys, and Tremble sends shivers down my spine--and not in a good way. That will probably be the least talented skill position group since 2007.

And it'll be hilarious watching Johnson, Austin, Tyree, and Mayer riding pine next year for various inane reasons.

One thing is for sure, all the "insiders" are going to be lamenting Tryee's inability in pass protection.

I can hear them now....

"Until Tyree can pick up his assignments better in the passing game its just not realistic to see him get much playing time. Its not a video game out there, these guys gotta know their assignments before they get on the field. Its really a no brainer quite frankly. I'm getting tired of having to answer this question every week."

Agree.

We have Austin and Johnson and then a bunch of schleps after that.

I'm hopeful that Johnson is a pretty polished player like Floyd coming in and can contribute immediately but that does not seem to be the trend under Kelly.

I'm also guessing that Austin is going to take a while to get integrated back into the offense as well given the Kelly factor.

Lenzy is an okay gadget player but has a long ways to go. Still looks pretty awkward out there trying to play as an every down type WR. Not sure if he will ever get there. Just doesn't look like a very natural football player. Just a fast guy trying to play football.

Keys will never be put into a position to utilize his primary strengths (short game, run after the catch) under Kelly's scheme so while I consider him to be talented in a vacuum (at least allegedly from the various practice reports but honestly hasn't really flashed much in game opportunities), all he really will be in the Kelly scheme is an undersized possession receiver as he doesn't appear to have a deep game component to him.

After those guys, you truly have a dearth of talent at the position. We are talking back to the dark days of guys like Robby Parris, Jon Goodman, David Grimes, George West, etc. Guys that just are not rosterable at this level. The other two incoming receivers unfortunately should not have been adds either but need to fill out the roster I suppose. Hopefully they at least do right and move Watts over to DB.

When I think of the skill position players next year, it sends chills down my spine and not in a good way.

Likely lineup of Book, whatever RB (they're all pretty brutal in their own ways), Lenzy, Keys, and Tremble sends shivers down my spine--and not in a good way. That will probably be the least talented skill position group since 2007.

And it'll be hilarious watching Johnson, Austin, Tyree, and Mayer riding pine next year for various inane reasons.

One thing is for sure, all the "insiders" are going to be lamenting Tryee's inability in pass protection.

I can hear them now....

"Until Tyree can pick up his assignments better in the passing game its just not realistic to see him get much playing time. Its not a video game out there, these guys gotta know their assignments before they get on the field. Its really a no brainer quite frankly. I'm getting tired of having to answer this question every week."
Austin will be our number 1 receiver next yr

Reactions: ftnfan62
as a Fr. Tyree’s assignment will be:
“take this (football)”
“go there (end zone)”

Reactions: nemeth#5
were not even the stud receiver in 2017 when Long got here.

as a Fr. Tyree’s assignment will be:
“take this (football)”
“go there (end zone)”

That's what most staffs would do with a talented freshman but for some reason that hasn't been this staff's modus operandi with talented freshman on offense for some reason.

I wouldn't count on Austin. If he is back and focused, than we will see what he brings.

Experience is a problem but there is talent and Book will be better I believe. Look at his receivers that he has available:

Kmet
Austin
Keys
Lenzy
Johnson
Tremble
Jafar
TJones if he returns
Maybe someone like Wilkins, Watt, Bruenelle, Tyree or Kyren will contribute.

Book will have really good protection so lots of time to throw. He focused on 3 receivers this year but 10 had 10 or more receptions.

ND will dominate it’s schedule with exception of Clemson.

Coming out of 2017 Miles Boykin was considered nothing special at all, known almost solely for one catch against LSU. And when he got a chance to be the guy, he delivered. So you need to give the kids a chance before you dismiss them and their ability to produce.

Reactions: ftnfan62

sorry, back late to the party. At the bowl game. “Young talent” is Tremble, Austin, Lenzy and our prize 5 star. Seems like lots of good talent. But, why I asked. I don’t see that link from 19 to 20 like we had 18 to 19. Maybe that’s Austin.

Any insight on the following:

Micah Jones
Joe Wilkins Jr
Cam Hart
Isaiah Robertson
Kendall Abdur-Rahman

There’s gotta be one of the above ready to step up next year, right?

People said the same thing when Boykin left. We'll definitely miss Chase but we have a lot of emerging talent and we'll have an experienced QB at the helm who:

Got us the win in relief vs. LSU in a bowl game.
Got us to an undefeated regular season in 2018.
Got us to 11-2 this year (while dealing with a coaching breakdown...)

If Kelly makes the right decision at OC we'll be a better offense next year.

I wasn’t big on him as a prospect to begin with. Was he moved out of need for corners or was it obvious that WR just wasn’t happening for him? If you know....
Im not really sure. He prefers playing on defense I know that. They like him over there. Read some good buzz on him at one point. He'll get a shot in spring

Micah Jones
Joe Wilkins Jr
Cam Hart
Isaiah Robertson
Kendall Abdur-Rahman

Good list. Isaiah and Micah have the size. Have not seen much. Highly ranked. Austin looks like “the guy”. Maybe like our LB’s this year BK has something up his sleeve.

Javon McKinley still has a season left and could be a star if given the chance. Reminds me of Sterling Sharp.

Last edited:

Micah Jones
Joe Wilkins Jr
Cam Hart
Isaiah Robertson
Kendall Abdur-Rahman

Of that list I was most excited about Kendall when he signed. Very impressive athlete with speed. Problem is he played QB and is totally raw. Plus unless you've been to ND ND practices nobody knows if the guy can catch.

Of that list I was most excited about Kendall when he signed. Very impressive athlete with speed. Problem is he played QB and is totally raw. Plus unless you've been to ND ND practices nobody knows if the guy can catch.

He will have had a year to develop. We should have a much better idea of where he is this spring.

Sterling Sharp would’ve been in the HOF if not for the neck injury. You sure about that?
McKinley had 4 rec td's in just 5 games and was second only to Lenzy in yards per catch at 24.4. He could be the replacement ND needs.

McKinley had 4 rec td's in just 5 games and was second only to Lenzy in yards per catch at 24.4. He could be the replacement ND needs.

That’s great production, don’t get me wrong, but most of that came against UNM and BGSU. I’m hoping McKinley finally puts it all together, but I definitely don’t see Sterling Sharpe.

Here’s Sterling Sharpe. There’s even a couple clips of him getting the better of Deion Sanders

If Sharpe stays healthy and continues his terror of opposing defenses, he’s in the same company as Jerry Rice IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
That’s great production, don’t get me wrong, but most of that came against UNM and BGSU. I’m hoping McKinley finally puts it all together, but I definitely don’t see Sterling Sharpe.

Here’s Sterling Sharpe. There’s even a couple clips of him getting the better of Deion Sanders

If Sharpe stays healthy and continues his terror of opposing defenses, he’s in the same company as Jerry Rice IMO.
Sterling Sharp had the same # of td catches his last year in college over 12 games and only 15 yds per catch. He might become SS if given a full season of starts because the talent is there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT