ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame secondary good enough to hide lack of elite pass rush?

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
We all saw in 2012 how Kelly used the Linebackers / DE to hide the youth and inexperience in the secondary. Is it possible that the secondary / Linebackers will be elite enough to hide the lack of an elite pass rusher?

CB 1: Russell, Watkins, Colemen
CB 2: Luke, Butler, Crawford
SS: Shumate, Tranquil, Turner
FS: Redfield, Farley, Baratti

Reactions: ForeverNole22
Short answer is no. I don't have faith in the safety play. I think Shu and Max could be a top 10 Safety tandem but the last 10 years they have made too many mistakes and played way too inconsistently to believe that before we see if/how they have grown this year.

I love 2-3 of those corners. Let's be honest though, our safeties are horrendous. It's ND football of the new age variety. Great depth at some positions and lacking in others. It's impossible to have great teams at ND or Stanford. Academic restrictions won't allow it. We can see a team like 2012 pop up though where it's a good team that overachieves.

Short answer is no. I don't have faith in the safety play. I think Shu and Max could be a top 10 Safety tandem but the last 10 years they have made too many mistakes and played way too inconsistently to believe that before we see if/how they have grown this year.
Kelly royally f'd up team chemistry by benching guys in the secondary/others for making mistakes while giving other players favored treatment. The lack of consistency and discipline this team regularly demonstrates is a perfect reflection of Kelly's coaching approach. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
I think benching Redfield helped some. He played better in the Music City bowl because of it. Yes he got beat a couple of times. But that happens in any good game. His thing was to get back in position and stop the next play.

Hard to say what will happen - lets hope BVG isn't John Tenuta Version 2.0 - we certainly need great team "D" to make up for the lack of a pass rush.

I think benching Redfield helped some. He played better in the Music City bowl because of it. Yes he got beat a couple of times. But that happens in any good game. His thing was to get back in position and stop the next play.
The bowl game was the first time Redfield really made an impact in a game. I think it bodes well for this season.

I think it will be interesting to see how Kelly uses depth in this aggressive of a model that BVG wants to run.

Like I said in 2012 he played the LB's in coverage most of the time, only rushing Prince Shembo from the edge. And Manti rarely. The rest of the time they fell into coverage to help stop the passing game. But at the same time they had a pretty elite front 4 on the line.

Just curious if they will use the now experienced secondary to slow down the passing game enough to allow the defense to penetrate the pocket and get to the QB.

This to me will especially be important in the Clemson, USC, Temple, and even GTech games. All of them have QB's that can either run or in USC's case a play action game that ranks in the top 5 in the country.

Kelly royally f'd up team chemistry by benching guys in the secondary/others for making mistakes while giving other players favored treatment. The lack of consistency and discipline this team regularly demonstrates is a perfect reflection of Kelly's coaching approach. He needs to get his head out of his ass.
THIS post shows you know how to get your head up your ass. The benching of Shumate and Redfield is probably why the coaches are feeling better about the position. They are beginning to understand their roles and to play to their potential.

THIS post shows you know how to get your head up your ass. The benching of Shumate and Redfield is probably why the coaches are feeling better about the position. They are beginning to understand their roles and to play to their potential.
This post shows you don't know any current or former players under kelly.
He f'd up and has been doing a crap job.He has divided this team by playing favorites among a host of other inept things. (Interestingly, the player that got the most fair haired treatment bailed on him). On another note, would you care to share this team's identity? Smashmouth, tough, physical...what is it? It's been a cluster f***. Take a look at each footbal discipline and tell me what area of the game we are good at. It's embarrassing. The non stop sis boom bah over our team lacks intelligence. We are the reigning Music, City Bowl Champs.... southern cal pulled kelly's pants off... northwestern hahaha.
Many of us alum see through the bs....

This post shows you don't know any current or former players under kelly.
He f'd up and has been doing a crap job.He has divided this team by playing favorites among a host of other inept things. (Interestingly, the player that got the most fair haired treatment bailed on him). On another note, would you care to share this team's identity? Smashmouth, tough, physical...what is it? It's been a cluster f***. Take a look at each footbal discipline and tell me what area of the game we are good at. It's embarrassing. The non stop sis boom bah over our team lacks intelligence. We are the reigning Music, City Bowl Champs.... southern cal pulled kelly's pants off... northwestern hahaha.
Anyone close to the program wouldn't confide in you. You are one of the biggest nitwits on this site and that is saying something. You can take that "identity" and stick it but don't put your eye out. Kelly is one of the best college football coaches in America!!

Reactions: Bodizephax
Anyone close to the program wouldn't confide in you. You are one of the biggest nitwits on this site and that is saying something. You can take that "identity" and stick it but don't put your eye out. Kelly is one of the best college football coaches in America!!

Really? Then why do I get invited to private NFL/College workouts all the time in so cal? What HS have Brees, Sanchez other NFL QB's been working out at in SD? Who else was participating? What current ND NFL players and ND players vying to make NFL teams have been in regular attendance? Which of these ND players have also been working out in Orange County? They all talk to me because I am not a douche fan boy like you. I asked a very specific question of one current NFL former ND player. "What does kelly's offense lack?" His one word answer was, "power." You can stick all your wise ass comments where the sun doesn't shine.

kelly is far from one of the best coaches in America. He's a disorganized buffoon. Some of us know what championship caliber football looks like. We're no where close. Until kelly figures out how to get out of his own way we're lost.

Have you come up with what this team's identity is? It's not your pipe dream. I am talking reality.... Now review the stats since kelly's tenure began and tell me an area, any area where we excel. You won't be able to because you are a dull fan boy with zero worthwhile substance.

"Kelly is one of the best college football coaches in America!" Let's see you prove that with some numbers.....

Poor cgvr, making a fool of himself once again. keep to comments about things outside of football or sports because it is quite obvious you know nothing about football, coaching and any aspect of team sports when you make such stupid statements as those made here.

My God, you're a fool.

Poor Epictitus, making a fool of himself once again. keep to comments about things outside of football or sports because it is quite obvious you know nothing about football, coaching and any aspect of team sports when you make such stupid statements as those made here.

My God, you're a fool.

There I fixed it for you.

Poor cgvr, making a fool of himself once again. keep to comments about things outside of football or sports because it is quite obvious you know nothing about football, coaching and any aspect of team sports when you make such stupid statements as those made here.

My God, you're a fool.
It is so perfect when you chime in on any issue. It immediately discredits whatever side of the ledger you are on. Thank you for solidifying my point. Kelly has divided this team on multiple occasions. Do you recall his b.s. with Manti? kelly is such a putz that he alienated one of the most decorated players in ND history along with others. That was some dopey head coaching stunt and he was forced to apologize. kelly is a polarizing underperforming jackass.

As for my questions on performance.....crickets..... as an alum I was always perplexed by the hatred many have for ND. This site has made very clear to me why..... we have a bunch of assho** fans with you being the king ah.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-irish-offends-players-apologizes-report-says

It is so perfect when you chime in on any issue. It immediately discredits whatever side of the ledger you are on. Thank you for solidifying my point. Kelly has divided this team on multiple occasions. Do you recall his b.s. with Manti? kelly is such a putz that he alienated one of the most decorated players in ND history along with others. That was some dopey head coaching stunt and he was forced to apologize. kelly is a polarizing underperforming jackass.

As for my questions on performance.....crickets..... as an alum I was always perplexed by the hatred many have for ND. This site has made very clear to me why..... we have a bunch of assho** fans with you being the king ah.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-irish-offends-players-apologizes-report-says

CGVR, You can not be an ND Alumn. Your posts are mostly vile and hateful and unintelligent. You constantly insult all things Notre Dame.
You wallow in the muck.

CGVR, You can not be an ND Alumn. Your posts are mostly vile and hateful and unintelligent. You constantly insult all things Notre Dame.
You wallow in the muck.
You regularly wallow in your own stupidity. Not one of you assh**es has the intellect to refute anything I write. I know kelly is a jerkoff and he proves it often.
You should take your "we're number one" prom poms and stick them up your very stupid a**. You are a boring dullard. It is no wonder you couldn't get into ND. Please root for another school. We don't need idiots like you ruining our good name.

You regularly wallow in your own stupidity. Not one of you assh**es has the intellect to refute anything I write. I know kelly is a jerkoff and he proves it often.
You should take your "we're number one" prom poms and stick them up your very stupid a**. You are a boring dullard. It is no wonder you couldn't get into ND. Please root for another school. We don't need idiots like you ruining our good name.

All class.. Your fellow Notre Dame alumns must be very proud of you.

All class.. Your fellow Notre Dame alumns must be very proud of you.
They are and one of my former room mates is on the BOT. It must be awful to know you were too stupid to attend ND. You prove that idiocy daily. You're good at it.......
Keep up the cheerleading. It suits you.
"We're #1." "We're going to go undefeated." "Brian Kelly is the best coach in cfb". You are an imbecile.

This thread was DOA 12 hours ago but fear not... in 4 months from now I am sure Bodi in a moment of boredom will go find this gem and give it a solid *BumP* just for old time sake

Reactions: Bodizephax
I corrected it for you.
I am sure you've swallowed a lot of them and yearn/long for kelly's gherkin....
"We're #1!" "We're #1" "kelly is the best coach in cfb"
Crushed by a 51 man southern cal team....
Crushed by northwestern.....
We are going to have a hell of time chasing Navy and Ga Tech's qb's down.... if Zaire twists his ankle in game 1 we are f'd.....
At least our te's have 1 career reception between them.....
Our special teams blow......
Let's play make believe and kiss kelly's ass.
"We're #1!"

I like you CGVR, I really do, but i don't understand why you feel like you need to kill Bodi's parade. If he wants to ride off into the sunset with fireworks in both hands why does that matter?

I like you CGVR, I really do, but i don't understand why you feel like you need to kill Bodi's parade. If he wants to ride off into the sunset with fireworks in both hands why does that matter?
Sal, I have always respected your posting here. Thank you. However, take a peek at this thread and you will see that Bodi felt the need to chime in as a wise ass and made derogatory remarks towards me from out of the blue. He has.done this in the past. His act is tedious and has always lacked substance. He is an insufferable lazy minded pri**. I am guessing he wears a leprechaun outfit when he watches ND on tv.

I am sure you've swallowed a lot of them and yearn/long for kelly's gherkin....
"We're #1!" "We're #1" "kelly is the best coach in cfb"
Crushed by a 51 man southern cal team....
Crushed by northwestern.....
We are going to have a hell of time chasing Navy and Ga Tech's qb's down.... if Zaire twists his ankle in game 1 we are f'd.....
At least our te's have 1 career reception between them.....
Our special teams blow......
Let's play make believe and kiss kelly's ass.
"We're #1!"

Classy post by an angry NARP..

Thank you. There isn't one thing in that post that isn't true.

cgvr is obviously no better than Mo1e. Mo1e has called Kelly a murderer and now the moron cgvr disrespects him in his own idiotic way. They deserve each other.

cgvr is obviously no better than Mo1e. Mo1e has called Kelly a murderer and now the moron cgvr disrespects him in his own idiotic way. They deserve each other.

I have for months asked very specific questions of the "sis boom bah" kelly crew and apparently not one of you is capable of a cogent thought.

Again, would you care to share this team's identity? Smashmouth, tough, physical...what is it?
Take a look at each football discipline (O,D, Special Teams...) and the statistics over the past 5 years.
Tell me what area of the game we are consistently good at. It's embarrassing.

The non stop sis boom bah lacks intelligence.

PS kelly is mercenary and only cares about himself. He's a selfish egotistical pri*k. The door can't hit him in the a** fast enough.

We may be number 1 in moron fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT