ADVERTISEMENT

A Perspective On Brian Kelly

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Something to think about...

I coached football and was the recruiting coordinator under Jamie Barresi at the University of Ottawa. Who you may ask? Coach B spent 20 years as an assistant at Penn State, Wake Forest, Florida (where he recruited and coached Emitt Smith), UCF, among other places, before heading to the CFL as an offensive coordinator. Finally, he had the opportunity to be his own head coach, at the University of Ottawa (Alma mater) and at a similar time, was offered an assistant position with the Detroit Lions, Under Jim Caldwell (who he coached with at Wake Forest, and who is among his best friends)... He chose Ottawa and the opportunity to be his own boss.

So what? When Coach Barresi was hired, it came with much fanfare. He was highly motivated, qualified and he recruited well, right off the bat. 3 years into his tenure, his offense was full of talent, and setting all time league records, while the defense, which lacked the elite talent of the offense, but still had a ton of quality players, progressively got worse under his DC, who he had hired and who had lots of experience. Said DC had produced some of the nation's best defenses at his previous stop and came highly regarded. Unfortunately, he himself proved to be an average recruiter and the obvious raw talent that was being recruited into the program was being underdeveloped and the energy had been drown out of the group, while their growth and development lacked.

In 2015, despite setting the CIS passing record and scoring a ton of points, U Ottawa missed the playoffs because of it's porous defense, which started with a year long suspension of a starting CB and season-ending shoulder injury to the FS, their most athletic defender, in an exhibition game, one week before the start of the season. That issue was magnified, when in game 2, the 2nd best DB in the group went down with a high ankle sprain that cost him most of the season. A secondary that was already young (starting 2 true freshman), was forced to start as many as 5 true freshman at times in the season, and they simply got shredded. At the same time, Ottawa's best pass rusher suffered a concussion that caused him to miss a month of the season, and his two primary backups were true freshman, both of whom were talented, but not physically ready to play. The season was a disaster and many were calling for Coach Barresi's head.

Fast forward one year. The administration gave Coach B an opportunity to fix the mistake he had made in his first DC hire. He did extensive research and brought in a really quality, young, energetic DC (who brought a secondary coach with him). The players had a great off season lifting, a simpler, more direct scheme was implemented, focusing on fundamentals and sound scheme. Players were allowed to simply "go play". All the freshman that played in 2015, we're a year older, more prepared and physically ready to play. A few key recruits were brought in to bolster some deficiencies and a scheme change allowed some players already on the roster, but who weren't contributing, to join the rotation and a couple have become impact players. Rather than trying to fit players into a scheme, the new DC developed his scheme around the talent he had on hand.

Ottawa U is currently ranked 8th nationally, with a 5-1 record and tied for top place in their 11 team conference. Their offense is still putting up great numbers, but their defense has been the reason for the huge change in record. They've come a long way in a year. From 3rd worst in the conference in PPG in 2015, to 3rd best heading into tomorrow's game... With basically the same players, minus 3 key loses to graduation and the addition of 1 impact player, plus the return of the FS who missed the entire season with a shoulder injury.

Coach Barresi is among the two favorites to win Coach of the Year, one year removed from people calling for his job. His job security no longer seems to be a topic in Ottawa (at least for now) and with the exception of one game, the team has played well. They've beat 2 nationally ranked, top 10 teams thus far, who they lost to by a combined 40+ points last year.

What does that have to do with Brian Kelly? In 2012 he took ND to the national title game. Last year, had his DC not been substandard, ND would have been on the brink of the playoffs again. In 2016, his lame duck DC was finally fired, but not after the damage had been done. He had under recruited, implemented an outdated pro scheme that was not applicable to college football. And just yesterday, in a press conference, Brian Kelly hinted at why ND had become so disfunctional on defense and why many of the positions had been so poorly developed. He noted in his press conference that not nearly enough time was being alloted to fundamentals under VanGorder and that his assistant coaches were not given the opportunity to teach their own units and run their own film rooms.

Guys, Kelly isn't going to throw BVG (his longtime friend) under the bus. He without a doubt screwed up in trusting the man to sail a sinking ship, and for that reason, Kelly has a hard lesson to learn. The truth, however, is that VanGorder was a control freak and his ego was so big, that he stubbornly was not willing to make the necessary changes or come to some essential realizations, to make his defense successful. He spent all his time implementing schemes that players struggled to grasp and he willingly put players in positions (Drue Tranquil) that they had no opportunity to succeed in. Furthermore, he refused to allow his assistants (per Brian Kelly) to teach, meaning a guy like Todd Lyght was essentially the DB coach in title only and instead, tried to do everything on his own, until Kelly was forced to fire him... We've all worked with or associated with somebody like that at some point during our lives. Some people are extremely knowledgeable and qualified, but are horrendous teachers to anyone who don't possess the near superhuman ability to execute what that person had in mind. That's why Jaylon Smith won the Butkus and developed. Because he was a supernatural talent in a scheme designed to be executed by people of that talent level. And even Jaylon was horrendously misused in my estimation.

This is my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me...I want to see Brian Kelly coach this team with the talent that currently resides on offense, and a new DC in 2017 (I'd do anything to get Dave Arranda), bringing a college scheme, fresh energy, maybe a couple key recruits, and a scheme suited for the players on this roster (that's a 3-4 front, zone-coverage scheme, if you ask me). A year from now, under the right tutelage and a great off season in the weight room, think of how much better ND could be with the return of Nick Watkins and Shaun Crawford and the development of Daelin Hayes, Julian Okwara, Jay Hayes, Khalid Kareem, Pete Mokwuah, Asmar Bilal, Te'Von Coney, Nyles Morgan, Devin Studstill, Jalen Elliot, Donte Vaughn, Troy Pride and Julian Love. Those are 12 talented kids, that are playing for essentially the 1st time, just now learning the fundamentals of college football and a how to play in a sound scheme.

If there isn't immense improvement next year, I think you fire Kelly and start from scratch. I'm not usually a patient person, but in this case, looking at what's gone on, I'm willing to wait another year, with a quality DC (hopefully) in place, a bunch of young kids who will be a year older, more mature and developed and a defensive staff who are allowed to do their job, teach and make kids better.

If I'm Kelly, I'm already rallying Kizer (or preparing Wimbush) and in the ear of Nelson, McGlinchey and Hunter Jr to return in 2017 and right the ship.

I'll go on record in saying this. If ND makes a quality DC hire, replaces Scott Booker with Jeff Quinn as TE Coach and their roster looks like this, they'll win at least 10 games in 2017, with a shot at the playoffs.

QB: DeShone Kizer
2. Ian Book

RB: Josh Adams
2. Dexter Williams

WR: EQ St. Brown
2. Miles Boykin

WR: Tori Hunter Jr.
2. Kevin Stepherson

Slot: CJ Sanders
2. Michael Young

TE: Aliz'e Jones
2. Nick Weishar

LT: Mike McGlinchey
2. Liam Eichenberg

LG: Quenton Nelson
2. Colin McGovern

C: Sam Mustipher
2. Tristan Hoge

RG: Alex Bars
2. Colin McGovern

RT: Tommy Kraemer
2. Liam Eichenberg

DE: Jerry Tillery
2. Jonathan Bonner

NG: Daniel Cage
2. Pete Mokwuah

DE: Jay Hayes
2. Khalid Kareem

OLB(Drop): Drue Tranquill
2. Greer Martini

ILB: Asmar Bilal
2. Te'Von Coney

ILB: Nyles Morgan
2. Josh Barajas

OLB (Rush): Daelin Hayes
2. Julian Okwara

CB: Nick Watkins
2. Julian Love

FS: Devin Studstill
2. Jalen Elliot

SS: Chase Claypool
2. Jalen Elliot

CB: Donte Vaughn
2. Troy Pride

NB: Shaun Crawford
2. Thomas Graham

JMO... But I've seen the difference a year can make with a quality hire, some fresh energy in the program and the implementation of an appropriate scheme, coupled with a focus on teaching and player development. I'm betting on a huge turnaround in 2017.

yikes, a lot of assumptions. Many of the assumptions that failed in past season.

And today, Claypool is still on Offense and no discussion (except you n me) has taken place to shift him.

Noooooooo pass rush.

You only focus on the D, the O-line has not perform up to expectations either, I would even say they haven't perform up to an average unit. Can't create holes for the run, can barely pass protect on the pass plays. The talented RBs are not living up to expectations either or could it be due to lack of Oline execution or both. TE U has not had a star since Weis recruit Effiert left. Kiser is the only QB recruit that has developed into a player with NFL potential, was it coaching or just his talent emerging inspite of coaching. There is too many issues that can't be blamed on BVG. The D is playing worst than under Weis and he was only given 5 years, we are in year 7 of this nightmare.
Since you are in coaching, I would expect you'd have scratched your head every year on some of the play calls Kelly has made, it's like he hasn't learn a damn thing since the Tulsa debacle. The Chefs are line cooks, time to fire them all and bring in a new head chef, the ingredients are still good, just need new cooks to run this kitchen.

You only focus on the D, the O-line has not perform up to expectations either, I would even say they haven't perform up to an average unit. Can't create holes for the run, can barely pass protect on the pass plays. The talented RBs are not living up to expectations either or could it be due to lack of Oline execution or both. TE U has not had a star since Weis recruit Effiert left. Kiser is the only QB recruit that has developed into a player with NFL potential, was it coaching or just his talent emerging inspite of coaching. There is too many issues that can't be blamed on BVG. The D is playing worst than under Weis and he was only given 5 years, we are in year 7 of this nightmare.
Since you are in coaching, I would expect you'd have scratched your head every year on some of the play calls Kelly has made, it's like he hasn't learn a damn thing since the Tulsa debacle. The Chefs are line cooks, time to fire them all and bring in a new head chef, the ingredients are still good, just need new cooks to run this kitchen.

You're obviously entitled to your own opinion. Thanks for the read!

I coached football and was the recruiting coordinator under Jamie Barresi at the University of Ottawa. Who you may ask? Coach B spent 20 years as an assistant at Penn State, Wake Forest, Florida (where he recruited and coached Emitt Smith), UCF, among other places, before heading to the CFL as an offensive coordinator. Finally, he had the opportunity to be his own head coach, at the University of Ottawa (Alma mater) and at a similar time, was offered an assistant position with the Detroit Lions, Under Jim Caldwell (who he coached with at Wake Forest, and who is among his best friends)... He chose Ottawa and the opportunity to be his own boss.

So what? When Coach Barresi was hired, it came with much fanfare. He was highly motivated, qualified and he recruited well, right off the bat. 3 years into his tenure, his offense was full of talent, and setting all time league records, while the defense, which lacked the elite talent of the offense, but still had a ton of quality players, progressively got worse under his DC, who he had hired and who had lots of experience. Said DC had produced some of the nation's best defenses at his previous stop and came highly regarded. Unfortunately, he himself proved to be an average recruiter and the obvious raw talent that was being recruited into the program was being underdeveloped and the energy had been drown out of the group, while their growth and development lacked.

In 2015, despite setting the CIS passing record and scoring a ton of points, U Ottawa missed the playoffs because of it's porous defense, which started with a year long suspension of a starting CB and season-ending shoulder injury to the FS, their most athletic defender, in an exhibition game, one week before the start of the season. That issue was magnified, when in game 2, the 2nd best DB in the group went down with a high ankle sprain that cost him most of the season. A secondary that was already young (starting 2 true freshman), was forced to start as many as 5 true freshman at times in the season, and they simply got shredded. At the same time, Ottawa's best pass rusher suffered a concussion that caused him to miss a month of the season, and his two primary backups were true freshman, both of whom were talented, but not physically ready to play. The season was a disaster and many were calling for Coach Barresi's head.

Fast forward one year. The administration gave Coach B an opportunity to fix the mistake he had made in his first DC hire. He did extensive research and brought in a really quality, young, energetic DC (who brought a secondary coach with him). The players had a great off season lifting, a simpler, more direct scheme was implemented, focusing on fundamentals and sound scheme. Players were allowed to simply "go play". All the freshman that played in 2015, we're a year older, more prepared and physically ready to play. A few key recruits were brought in to bolster some deficiencies and a scheme change allowed some players already on the roster, but who weren't contributing, to join the rotation and a couple have become impact players. Rather than trying to fit players into a scheme, the new DC developed his scheme around the talent he had on hand.

Ottawa U is currently ranked 8th nationally, with a 5-1 record and tied for top place in their 11 team conference. Their offense is still putting up great numbers, but their defense has been the reason for the huge change in record. They've come a long way in a year. From 3rd worst in the conference in PPG in 2015, to 3rd best heading into tomorrow's game... With basically the same players, minus 3 key loses to graduation and the addition of 1 impact player, plus the return of the FS who missed the entire season with a shoulder injury.

Coach Barresi is among the two favorites to win Coach of the Year, one year removed from people calling for his job. His job security no longer seems to be a topic in Ottawa (at least for now) and with the exception of one game, the team has played well. They've beat 2 nationally ranked, top 10 teams thus far, who they lost to by a combined 40+ points last year.

What does that have to do with Brian Kelly? In 2012 he took ND to the national title game. Last year, had his DC not been substandard, ND would have been on the brink of the playoffs again. In 2016, his lame duck DC was finally fired, but not after the damage had been done. He had under recruited, implemented an outdated pro scheme that was not applicable to college football. And just yesterday, in a press conference, Brian Kelly hinted at why ND had become so disfunctional on defense and why many of the positions had been so poorly developed. He noted in his press conference that not nearly enough time was being alloted to fundamentals under VanGorder and that his assistant coaches were not given the opportunity to teach their own units and run their own film rooms.

Guys, Kelly isn't going to throw BVG (his longtime friend) under the bus. He without a doubt screwed up in trusting the man to sail a sinking ship, and for that reason, Kelly has a hard lesson to learn. The truth, however, is that VanGorder was a control freak and his ego was so big, that he stubbornly was not willing to make the necessary changes or come to some essential realizations, to make his defense successful. He spent all his time implementing schemes that players struggled to grasp and he willingly put players in positions (Drue Tranquil) that they had no opportunity to succeed in. Furthermore, he refused to allow his assistants (per Brian Kelly) to teach, meaning a guy like Todd Lyght was essentially the DB coach in title only and instead, tried to do everything on his own, until Kelly was forced to fire him... We've all worked with or associated with somebody like that at some point during our lives. Some people are extremely knowledgeable and qualified, but are horrendous teachers to anyone who don't possess the near superhuman ability to execute what that person had in mind. That's why Jaylon Smith won the Butkus and developed. Because he was a supernatural talent in a scheme designed to be executed by people of that talent level. And even Jaylon was horrendously misused in my estimation.

This is my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me...I want to see Brian Kelly coach this team with the talent that currently resides on offense, and a new DC in 2017 (I'd do anything to get Dave Arranda), bringing a college scheme, fresh energy, maybe a couple key recruits, and a scheme suited for the players on this roster (that's a 3-4 front, zone-coverage scheme, if you ask me). A year from now, under the right tutelage and a great off season in the weight room, think of how much better ND could be with the return of Nick Watkins and Shaun Crawford and the development of Daelin Hayes, Julian Okwara, Jay Hayes, Khalid Kareem, Pete Mokwuah, Asmar Bilal, Te'Von Coney, Nyles Morgan, Devin Studstill, Jalen Elliot, Donte Vaughn, Troy Pride and Julian Love. Those are 12 talented kids, that are playing for essentially the 1st time, just now learning the fundamentals of college football and a how to play in a sound scheme.

If there isn't immense improvement next year, I think you fire Kelly and start from scratch. I'm not usually a patient person, but in this case, looking at what's gone on, I'm willing to wait another year, with a quality DC (hopefully) in place, a bunch of young kids who will be a year older, more mature and developed and a defensive staff who are allowed to do their job, teach and make kids better.

If I'm Kelly, I'm already rallying Kizer (or preparing Wimbush) and in the ear of Nelson, McGlinchey and Hunter Jr to return in 2017 and right the ship.

I'll go on record in saying this. If ND makes a quality DC hire, replaces Scott Booker with Jeff Quinn as TE Coach and their roster looks like this, they'll win at least 10 games in 2017, with a shot at the playoffs.

2. Ian Book

2. Dexter Williams

2. Miles Boykin

2. Kevin Stepherson

2. Michael Young

2. Nick Weishar

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Colin McGovern

2. Tristan Hoge

2. Colin McGovern

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Jonathan Bonner

2. Pete Mokwuah

2. Khalid Kareem

2. Greer Martini

2. Te'Von Coney

2. Josh Barajas

2. Julian Okwara

2. Julian Love

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Troy Pride

2. Thomas Graham

JMO... But I've seen the difference a year can make with a quality hire, some fresh energy in the program and the implementation of an appropriate scheme, coupled with a focus on teaching and player development. I'm betting on a huge turnaround in 2017.
It's more than likely because of ND's struggles this year, but more and more people are starting to notice how Kelly reacts to adversity(see link), and Kelly doesn't come out looking all that good. If they manage to turn the season it probably all doesn't amount to much, but if they continue to struggle stuff like this is going to begin to torpedo your recruiting efforts as well, it's just not a good look coming from a HC.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/14/13274402/brian-kelly-notre-dame-coach

yikes, a lot of assumptions. Many of the assumptions that failed in past season.

And today, Claypool is still on Offense and no discussion (except you n me) has taken place to shift him.

Noooooooo pass rush.

3-4 defenses don't rely on elite pass rushers. They get coverage sacks and rely on collapsing the pocket. What elite pass rushers has Alabama had in its 3-4 defense? Was KLM an elite pass rusher in Bob Diaco's defense? Was Prince Shembo? Nope. But both were highly effective and disruptive. A 3-4 scheme is much more realistic for the typeople of athletes ND is able to recruit up front. ND needs powerful, block destructors, Long, Cover 2 corners that leave small windows to throw in and physical safeties that can tackle. ND can recruit all of those players, leaving the two focus positions on defense as the Rush linebacker that becomes the 4th man on the line, rushing from a stand up position, and the noseguard, as the tough positions for ND to recruit.

Reactions: Bodizephax
IIO, I like the perspective that you shared from your alma mater. There is hope! and I like others are starting to get down on Kelly and the coaching staff. They deserve the criticism. This team has talent and hopefully Kelly learns something otherwise the patience will wear thin from people who make decisions. Personally, Kelly probably will not be sacked at the end of the season. however, he has the opportunity to change the perspective of everyone nationally and more importantly the people who make decisions at Notre Dame. If he is able to get this years team moving in a positive direction in little steps. What I mean is have this Defense play better every week not perfect but improve especially for run D and a little more pressure. The other things offensively: if the o-line improves as a unit and the run game slowly improves. We know the Irish can pass. Also some basic improvement on tackling especially in special teams. If those things happen the Irish could go 7-5 and maybe have a bowl win. Then going into next season with a new motivating D-coach that can recruit with all the things that you pointed we could be a 10 game winning program or better.

I read the presser transcript and had the EXACT same reaction.....BVG was a Control Freak and that is just crazy!!!! BUT I have to wonder WHY BK or other Assts did not complain about this too.

If fundamentals in coverage finally get better......

BEAT da sapling!!!

Kelly has simply made too many egregious errors in judgement to be given another season. The change in DC should have been done after the bowl game blowout. Kelly has taken a tenth ranked team to losses to Duke and NCstate. His team will not even qualify for a bowl game. Weis was given an extra season in a similar situation and it was a disaster just like next year will be for Kelly. LSU gave Miles another season with a much better record than Kelly will have and had to fire him wasting another season. The negative recruiting against Kelly from his statements to the press will only get worse when ND doesnt get to a bowl game and will take its toll on recruiting.

IIO, with the benefit of time passing since the NCST game, I am able to appreciate and agree with a lot of what you write, but nothing can erase the ridiculous judgement of our coach throwing the ball in hurricane force winds. Just can't explain or accept that. That judgement (err lack thereof) is what concerns me about retaining Brian Kelly. He just seems to be in over his head.

Last edited:
I've struggled a lot with my own opinion of what ND should do with Kelly. I want to believe that he just needs to hire a great DC and everything will fall into place. However, I've lost trust in Kelly, as he let this Vangorder situation go on for so long. Kelly is supposed to be an elite coach, right? Would an elite coach have ever hired somebody like BVG and if they did allowed them to stay, as long he did? I don't think so. I'm not excited about the idea of firing Kelly and having to get a new coach, new philosophy, a new era, and having to wait 5 years to see if the guy is a success or not. But this is Kelly's SEVENTH year in the program. His best win to date is the Oklahoma game in 2012. He is not going to achieve a "signature win" or a major bowl/playoff victory this year. I am tired of this. I am keeping in mind that you do not fire a coach, unless the guy coming in is better than the one you currently have. It's just a tough situation for ND and Swarbrick. I think they need to carefully evaluate how Kelly does the second half of this season and also evaluate potential replacements and go from there. I'm not claiming to have an answer here, cause I don't know what it is, to be honest. I am however, leaning towards Kelly being shown the door. I don't see how he'll get ND to do any better than he already has.

I've struggled a lot with my own opinion of what ND should do with Kelly. I want to believe that he just needs to hire a great DC and everything will fall into place. However, I've lost trust in Kelly, as he let this Vangorder situation go on for so long. Kelly is supposed to be an elite coach, right? Would an elite coach have ever hired somebody like BVG and if they did allowed them to stay, as long he did? I don't think so. I'm not excited about the idea of firing Kelly and having to get a new coach, new philosophy, a new era, and having to wait 5 years to see if the guy is a success or not. But this is Kelly's SEVENTH year in the program. His best win to date is the Oklahoma game in 2012. He is not going to achieve a "signature win" or a major bowl/playoff victory this year. I am tired of this. I am keeping in mind that you do not fire a coach, unless the guy coming in is better than the one you currently have. It's just a tough situation for ND and Swarbrick. I think they need to carefully evaluate how Kelly does the second half of this season and also evaluate potential replacements and go from there. I'm not claiming to have an answer here, cause I don't know what it is, to be honest. I am however, leaning towards Kelly being shown the door. I don't see how he'll get ND to do any better than he already has.

My 6th grade teach Sister Constant Agony would know what to do with Kelly

Reactions: cgaynor
in your Catholic School, if you got caught running in the halls did the Nuns line you up and beat you across the back of the calfs ... with a yardstick? Ah the good old discipline! I miss that. One would have thought we could out run them!

IIO, you sound like you know your football, no doubt about that. Your analysis of what is going on is pretty accurate. I have been following ND football for 45 years. Football is very basic at its core. If you win the line of scrimmage, your chances of winning increases greatly. In 6 games played so far, I cannot say that either the offensive or defensive lines have won that battle. Nevada maybe the only game. Kelly's offensive unit has never been good inside the 20. They alaways seem to struggle on that part of the field. They also struggle in short yardage and running out the clock. No need to talk about defense. Other than 2012 it's been lousy. Why do I bring this up? NDs most successful teams are teams that always have the ability to run the ball. In my opinion the biggest issue is the style of football Kelly likes. That is the " spread " offense. That offense is fine for teams that have trouble getting top talent. It's an equalizer and allows teams with lesser talent compete with the bigger and better teams. Kelly isn't at Cincinnati or GVS. For all the scoring his offense has done, its not equating to many wins. Consequently, 2012, the year they went 12 and 0 was a team that didn't score that much. What they did do is not make many turnovers and control the ball with a run game. This kept the "break but don't bend defense" fresh and they were able to win a lot of close games. I think the spread is the wrong offense for ND. I think a more traditional offense would be better. It would emphasize run blocking which would help short yardage and red zone efficiency. It would also work the clock to keep an average defense off the field and fresh late in the game. I personally think Kelly is a real good coach. I also think he has plateaued at ND. I don't think one more year or ten more years will matter. If the goal is to compete for Championships, then it's time to find that coach. He had many things break the right way in 2012. I also recognize last year everything went wrong yet the team was in the hunt until the final 30 seconds of the year. Still, 7 years in,this team should be much better prepared and they simply are not. Anyway , that's my 2 cents worth. Over and out. Go Irish!!

OK..I'll bite.

Questions..
Does coach baressi's players regress ? This is factual problem with us.

Would Baressi call or allowed to be called 37 drop backs in a hurricane?

Is baressi unprepared and spot the other team 14-17 points in big games?

See I'm sick of this DC excuse. Kelly will only ever get so good because he always manages to piss himself in a big game.

Always.

George perles... steel curtain
Buddy Ryan... 85 bears
The Hugh Green led defense of the 1980 Pitt panthers....

It does not matter.

There are things Kelly does or doesn't that kill his chances...regardless his DC.

Moreover...
Jaylon Smith

Might be the greatest raw talent on defense in a long long time. Was used wrong or not used effective enough.

A traffic cone could see that. Why can't Kelly?

He has zero sense of feel.

I like reading your stuff IIO but
I think there needs to be a lot of progress made in strength and conditioning. (Footwork of the offense lineman)
(Booker needs to be fired).
Any coach who can't recruit needs to be fired. The fact that BVG didn't want to recruit and wasn't good at it is mind boggling why he was even hired.
You can't recruit/ you don't want to do it. Holy sh*t. That's what college coaching is. Recruiting.

implementation of a downhill running game. Call it what you want.
Fine- we don't use a fullback-
H back lead blocker- power sweeps, pitchouts - with lead blockers
Power running. Let these backs get a head of steam.
I can honestly say the first drive vs LSU in the music city bowl was a thing of beauty. I thought the team had overcome a huge hurdle and was going to become a power team again.
Watch Michigan with Harbaugh.
That's dynamic downhill power running.
We need dynamic running plays not static read- option shit.
Half the runs get nothing- stuffed.
It's a hold and react. We need an aggressive running game. Not this garage we run.
We haven't been a team that can confidently run between the tackles to pick up 3rd and 3 since Holtz.

People talk about yards per game/ points per game.
With Kelly Just like Weis.

Those stats are garbage. Our eyes tell us differently. 3rd and. 3. Can't run.
Can't out physical a good defense.

It basically comes down to: until we can win 10 games in back to back seasons. All of our talk is crap.
I'm not asking for major bowl wins- that would be nice since I'm 40 and I was in high school the last time that happened.
Two seasons in a row like last year and I would say we are in the right direction.

Bottom line: Kelly comes back in 2017.
He won't change and hopefully someone can fix this.

Reactions: Uncle Money

2. Ian Book

2. Dexter Williams

2. Miles Boykin

2. Kevin Stepherson

2. Michael Young

2. Nick Weishar

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Colin McGovern

2. Tristan Hoge

2. Colin McGovern

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Jonathan Bonner

2. Pete Mokwuah

2. Khalid Kareem

2. Greer Martini

2. Te'Von Coney

2. Josh Barajas

2. Julian Okwara

2. Julian Love

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Troy Pride

2. Thomas Graham

How is Ian Book ahead of Wimbush?

in your Catholic School, if you got caught running in the halls did the Nuns line you up and beat you across the back of the calfs ... with a yardstick? Ah the good old discipline! I miss that. One would have thought we could out run them!

No they did have their erasers on a yo yo so they could repeat the hit on going. :)

2. Ian Book

2. Dexter Williams

2. Miles Boykin

2. Kevin Stepherson

2. Michael Young

2. Nick Weishar

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Colin McGovern

2. Tristan Hoge

2. Colin McGovern

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Jonathan Bonner

2. Pete Mokwuah

2. Khalid Kareem

2. Greer Martini

2. Te'Von Coney

2. Josh Barajas

2. Julian Okwara

2. Julian Love

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Troy Pride

2. Thomas Graham

Unbelievably great post, IIO. Keep em coming!

I like reading your stuff IIO but
I think there needs to be a lot of progress made in strength and conditioning. (Footwork of the offense lineman)
(Booker needs to be fired).
Any coach who can't recruit needs to be fired. The fact that BVG didn't want to recruit and wasn't good at it is mind boggling why he was even hired.
You can't recruit/ you don't want to do it. Holy sh*t. That's what college coaching is. Recruiting.

implementation of a downhill running game. Call it what you want.
Fine- we don't use a fullback-
H back lead blocker- power sweeps, pitchouts - with lead blockers
Power running. Let these backs get a head of steam.
I can honestly say the first drive vs LSU in the music city bowl was a thing of beauty. I thought the team had overcome a huge hurdle and was going to become a power team again.
Watch Michigan with Harbaugh.
That's dynamic downhill power running.
We need dynamic running plays not static read- option shit.
Half the runs get nothing- stuffed.
It's a hold and react. We need an aggressive running game. Not this garage we run.
We haven't been a team that can confidently run between the tackles to pick up 3rd and 3 since Holtz.

People talk about yards per game/ points per game.
With Kelly Just like Weis.

Those stats are garbage. Our eyes tell us differently. 3rd and. 3. Can't run.
Can't out physical a good defense.

It basically comes down to: until we can win 10 games in back to back seasons. All of our talk is crap.
I'm not asking for major bowl wins- that would be nice since I'm 40 and I was in high school the last time that happened.
Two seasons in a row like last year and I would say we are in the right direction.

Bottom line: Kelly comes back in 2017.
He won't change and hopefully someone can fix this.

Awesome post. Get an offensive line like the Dallas Cowboys and watch even rookies look good. It's not rocket science. A strong O-Line controls the clock, helps the D...but they are soft in a spread formation.

How is Ian Book ahead of Wimbush?

I highly doubt Wimbush stays of Kizer is back next year. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would take lot to convince a kid that talented to wait until his senior year to have a chance to start. Again, I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but it's my gut feeling.

Awesome post. Get an offensive line like the Dallas Cowboys and watch even rookies look good. It's not rocket science. A strong O-Line controls the clock, helps the D...but they are soft in a spread formation.

In my opinion, ND doean't lack the bodies or the talent on the OL. They've recruited the position as well as anyone in the country. Running the ball out of the spread is no different than running the ball out of a set using attached TE's or an FB. It's all about toughness and mindset. It's up to a head coach, an OC and an OL coach to commit to the run and demand toughness from RB's and the OL in front of them. When ND is committed to it, they can run the ball extremely effectively. Remember Stanford past year and LSU in the bowl game. Those are perfect examples of games in which ND decided to play "mean" and the result was favourable.

Something that I think some people are overlooking, however, is that ND lost a top 10 draft pick LT, a 2nd round center, and a quality would be senior, who decided to walk away from football. ND should be a better rushing team than they are, but it's obvious they prefer to pass with Deshone.

In my opinion, ND doean't lack the bodies or the talent on the OL. They've recruited the position as well as anyone in the country. Running the ball out of the spread is no different than running the ball out of a set using attached TE's or an FB. It's all about toughness and mindset. It's up to a head coach, an OC and an OL coach to commit to the run and demand toughness from RB's and the OL in front of them. When ND is committed to it, they can run the ball extremely effectively. Remember Stanford past year and LSU in the bowl game. Those are perfect examples of games in which ND decided to play "mean" and the result was favourable.

Something that I think some people are overlooking, however, is that ND lost a top 10 draft pick LT, a 2nd round center, and a quality would be senior, who decided to walk away from football. ND should be a better rushing team than they are, but it's obvious they prefer to pass with Deshone.
Yes and no imo.

Power football is a mindset alright bit notice I said power football...because today many teams try and run the ball but do so in a finesse fashion. Like us.

The only way to succeed running the way we do is to have an electric fast QB to pose that threat. It makes everyone play honest.

Example...most spread teams run the ball in a finesse way. We run the ball as such..more laterally. Ohio State on the other hand ...while running from a spread are north and south. Very north and south including the qb.

So while you can run power football from the spread most teams run laterally and don't get as much as they could from it unless that blazing fast qb is in the mix.

The ones that do run north and south get significant rewards from it because defenses today are set up to stop lateral play by everyone.

Are we really saying that Kelly is not to be held to account for taking two full seasons and part of a third to discover that BVG was not allowing his assistants to coach, or fundamentals to be taught? He just discovered this after getting more involved with the defense after he finally fired his buddy? He either knew this and accepted this, which is bad; or he was out of touch with how his defense was being taught, which is equally bad.

Reactions: greengael
I've been in BKs corner, but it concerns me that the probably #1 overall pick would be on the bench if not for an injury to Zaire.

2. Ian Book

2. Dexter Williams

2. Miles Boykin

2. Kevin Stepherson

2. Michael Young

2. Nick Weishar

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Colin McGovern

2. Tristan Hoge

2. Colin McGovern

2. Liam Eichenberg

2. Jonathan Bonner

2. Pete Mokwuah

2. Khalid Kareem

2. Greer Martini

2. Te'Von Coney

2. Josh Barajas

2. Julian Okwara

2. Julian Love

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Jalen Elliot

2. Troy Pride

2. Thomas Graham

Reading this I can see good judgement is a gift. Certainly none here. You are watching a different team and coach(s) than I am.

IIO, you sound like you know your football, no doubt about that. Your analysis of what is going on is pretty accurate. I have been following ND football for 45 years. Football is very basic at its core. If you win the line of scrimmage, your chances of winning increases greatly. In 6 games played so far, I cannot say that either the offensive or defensive lines have won that battle. Nevada maybe the only game. Kelly's offensive unit has never been good inside the 20. They alaways seem to struggle on that part of the field. They also struggle in short yardage and running out the clock. No need to talk about defense. Other than 2012 it's been lousy. Why do I bring this up? NDs most successful teams are teams that always have the ability to run the ball. In my opinion the biggest issue is the style of football Kelly likes. That is the " spread " offense. That offense is fine for teams that have trouble getting top talent. It's an equalizer and allows teams with lesser talent compete with the bigger and better teams. Kelly isn't at Cincinnati or GVS. For all the scoring his offense has done, its not equating to many wins. Consequently, 2012, the year they went 12 and 0 was a team that didn't score that much. What they did do is not make many turnovers and control the ball with a run game. This kept the "break but don't bend defense" fresh and they were able to win a lot of close games. I think the spread is the wrong offense for ND. I think a more traditional offense would be better. It would emphasize run blocking which would help short yardage and red zone efficiency. It would also work the clock to keep an average defense off the field and fresh late in the game. I personally think Kelly is a real good coach. I also think he has plateaued at ND. I don't think one more year or ten more years will matter. If the goal is to compete for Championships, then it's time to find that coach. He had many things break the right way in 2012. I also recognize last year everything went wrong yet the team was in the hunt until the final 30 seconds of the year. Still, 7 years in,this team should be much better prepared and they simply are not. Anyway , that's my 2 cents worth. Over and out. Go Irish!!
This I completely agree with

Barresi's situation has zero relationship to Mr Potato Head's. Relating kelly's future success at ND to that is nothing more than a stab in the dark. As for Canadian football well.....not many people outside of Canada care about it.

Find the top 25 rankings in any statistical category on offense or defense under Tinkles watch. Just what the heck has this team done consistently well?
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/national/index.html

What kelly does consistently well is offer on and off field incredibly embarrassing moments....so much so that they often receive national media attention. Here's an article from yesterday.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/14/13274402/brian-kelly-notre-dame-coach

weis was participating in major bowls at a 40% clip. He was a "bush push" away from nc game consideration. 16 of weis recruits started in that nc game and were not according to kelly "his guys".
imo that 2005 team was the best we've had for years.

kelly stinks to high heaven. Every core discipline is a disaster. He is an x rated underachieving comic strip character.

The drums are beating and they are using toby s' empty head.....

see, while toby and I generally disagree, he is not a complete blockhead along the lines of a Telx ilk.
Toby at least makes points to agree with or disagree with and general it is about the topic. There are posters that ONLY post about posters.

Last edited:
Barresi's situation has zero relationship to Mr Potato Head's. Relating kelly's future success at ND to that is nothing more than a stab in the dark. As for Canadian football well.....not many people outside of Canada care about it.

Find the top 25 rankings in any statistical category on offense or defense under Tinkles watch. Just what the heck has this team done consistently well?

What kelly does consistently well is offer on and off field incredibly embarrassing moments....so much so that they often receive national media attention. Here's an article from yesterday.

weis was participating in major bowls at a 40% clip. He was a "bush push" away from nc game consideration. 16 of weis recruits started in that nc game and were not according to kelly "his guys".

kelly stinks to high heaven. Every core discipline is a disaster. He is an x rated underachieving comic strip character.

Cvgr, you know you might, just might, come off with a little more credibility if you'd simply grow up and stop the childish name calling ( porky, Mr. Potato Head ). ... you sound, or maybe you are, a 12 year old.

CGVR,

Your first paragraph is about as ignorant as it gets. Maybe you are correct that CIS football isn't followed closely by many outside of Canada, but the relativity of situation that you assert is a "stab in the dark" may be much closer to the truth than you think. Is Brian Kelly going to lead ND to a national championship? Probably not. The same can be said for all but a select few coaches around the country. You obviously hate Kelly, which is your right, but I focus less on the individual loses, or the crybaby, softcats on this board that have an issue with him yelling at his players (thr same tactic some of the nation's best coaches use every week) and instead, I focus on the big picture. This program has come further under Kelly than anytime since Holtz. He has helped modernize the image of the program and made a school that was desperately in need of upgrades across the board, finally spend some of the billions of dollars they horde to put ND back on a decently fair playing field. Everything from overseeing the instituion of an advanced training table, major upgrades in strength and conditioning and health monitoring, media relations, the new deal with Under Armor, the massive expansion of ND football support staff, etc, etc have been done under Kelly's and Swarbrick's watch. ND needed a major overhaul and Brian Kelly played an instrumental role in that work... And he took ND to a national title game in the process, while pumping out NFL talent. Only Ohio State had more players drafted last year than ND.

Kelly's time at ND is nearing an end, but I don't think it's quite there yet, although I'be been wrong in the past. While the average fan focuses only on the wins and the loses, I worked around Notre Dame's football program during the transition to Brian Kelly and I know how behind it was compared to where it's at now. And while you, in all your American arrogance may think that it is completely irrelevant because I was in Canada, I spent nearly 3 years as part of staff that needed to rebuild the image and then infrastructure of a once proud program (much like Kelly at ND) so I can attest to and empathize with the COUNTLESS hours of work, the numerous fights, the commitment and passion it takes, and the careful navigation it requires to bring a team from the middle of the pack, back to the national spotlight.

I remember when Kelly beat Stoops in Norman (a place that he had only lost something like 4 games in his tenure) in 2012, on his way to the title game, then beat USC later that year. I remember Brent Musberger and Kirk Herbstreit commenting on how fans ought to make no mistake "Notre Dame is relavent once again". That's all Brian Kelly.

I sincerely hope that ND makes a great hire with their next coach, because whoever they choose, will be in the best position to compete for a championship since Lou Holtz left. We all have different opinions, but as someone who has spent his entire life around the game, I can appreciate what BK's done at ND, even if he leaves without a national championship to show for it. There are nearly 130 teams in college football and there is only one Urban Meyer and one Nick Saban. Everyone else is simply fighting (Brian Kelly included) to prove he belongs in that conversation.

CGVR,

Your first paragraph is about as ignorant as it gets. Maybe you are correct that CIS football isn't followed closely by many outside of Canada, but the relativity of situation that you assert is a "stab in the dark" may be much closer to the truth than you think. Is Brian Kelly going to lead ND to a national championship? Probably not. The same can be said for all but a select few coaches around the country. You obviously hate Kelly, which is your right, but I focus less on the individual loses, or the crybaby, softcats on this board that have an issue with him yelling at his players (thr same tactic some of the nation's best coaches use every week) and instead, I focus on the big picture. This program has come further under Kelly than anytime since Holtz. He has helped modernize the image of the program and made a school that was desperately in need of upgrades across the board, finally spend some of the billions of dollars they horde to put ND back on a decently fair playing field. Everything from overseeing the instituion of an advanced training table, major upgrades in strength and conditioning and health monitoring, media relations, the new deal with Under Armor, the massive expansion of ND football support staff, etc, etc have been done under Kelly's and Swarbrick's watch. ND needed a major overhaul and Brian Kelly played an instrumental role in that work... And he took ND to a national title game in the process, while pumping out NFL talent. Only Ohio State had more players drafted last year than ND.

Kelly's time at ND is nearing an end, but I don't think it's quite there yet, although I'be been wrong in the past. While the average fan focuses only on the wins and the loses, I worked around Notre Dame's football program during the transition to Brian Kelly and I know how behind it was compared to where it's at now. And while you, in all your American arrogance may think that it is completely irrelevant because I was in Canada, I spent nearly 3 years as part of staff that needed to rebuild the image and then infrastructure of a once proud program (much like Kelly at ND) so I can attest to and empathize with the COUNTLESS hours of work, the numerous fights, the commitment and passion it takes, and the careful navigation it requires to bring a team from the middle of the pack, back to the national spotlight.

I remember when Kelly beat Stoops in Norman (a place that he had only lost something like 4 games in his tenure) in 2012, on his way to the title game, then beat USC later that year. I remember Brent Musberger and Kirk Herbstreit commenting on how fans ought to make no mistake "Notre Dame is relavent once again". That's all Brian Kelly.

I sincerely hope that ND makes a great hire with their next coach, because whoever they choose, will be in the best position to compete for a championship since Lou Holtz left. We all have different opinions, but as someone who has spent his entire life around the game, I can appreciate what BK's done at ND, even if he leaves without a national championship to show for it. There are nearly 130 teams in college football and there is only one Urban Meyer and one Nick Saban. Everyone else is simply fighting (Brian Kelly included) to prove he belongs in that conversation.

Cvgr, you know you might, just might, come off with a little more credibility if you'd simply grow up and stop the childish name calling ( porky, Mr. Potato Head ). ... you sound, or maybe you are, a 12 year old.
Yeah, okay.... I forgot "tinkles"....

I can vouch for IIO's understanding of the situation at our Alma Mater , and may have actually been closer on some levels to the issues that faced the program in question than even he is aware of. The moves that were made were measured and necessary and certainly not the result of fan or alumni pressure. These are things that happen when rebuilding a program and are a part of an organic process. the Irish program had outgrown the O coordinator first, then it outgrew Diaco on the Defense. Van Gorder may not have been the right choice but we don't really know what the available pool of candidates was at that time do we? Anyway He's gone ,and we move on . Go Irish beat Indians.

Reactions: Telx1
Are we really saying that Kelly is not to be held to account for taking two full seasons and part of a third to discover that BVG was not allowing his assistants to coach, or fundamentals to be taught? He just discovered this after getting more involved with the defense after he finally fired his buddy? He either knew this and accepted this, which is bad; or he was out of touch with how his defense was being taught, which is equally bad.

Of course not. Brian Kelly is responsible for everything that happens in his program. My point made simple is that many coaches make critical mistakes in their tenures and that can sometimes lead to their dimissal. That could be the case with Brian Kelly because VanGorder was obviously a huge mistake and a bad hire... You're crazy, however, if you don't think that the vast majority of college football programs don't operate the way ND's does. All head coaches come from either primarily offensive or defensive backgrounds and for that reason, they spend the majority of their week coaching on the side of the ball where they are most comfortable and feel they can have the most impact. It is not even close to uncommon for a head coach to let the coordinator of the side of the ball he works with less, run his own operation with little intervention. Head coaches will intervene in game and make demands and suggestions in certain situations, but the game plan and teaching is put together by the coordinators. Brian Kelly had a guy who turned out to be an awesome DC in Bob Diaco, and he allowed Diaco to run his own show on defense. They rode that combination to the championship game. Kelly tried to do the same thing with BVG and it's cost him immensely... such is the profession that is coaching.

Question for you. If ND's returns all it's personnel and hires a quality DC, and Kelly again focuses on the offense and let's the guy he hires do his job, and the guy turns out to be another Bob Diaco... And the results in ND winning 10-11 games next year, what should Jack Swarbrick do? If a head coach has his team on the brink of the playoffs in 2 of 3 years, would you fire him? That's pretty gutsy considering that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban aren't leaving their jobs for ND.... We all think that Tom Herman is going to be a great coach, but it's still speculation. Dabo Sweeney has turned out to be a gpod coach, but he still lost to Saban last year and has nothing to show for it. Jimbo Fisher, who won a natty with FS not too long ago, and has more talent than you could ever need on his roster, is already out of the playoff picutre. Jim Harbaugh is being harolded as the savior at Michigan, but what if he loses to Urban Meyer and Ohio State? He'll miss the playoffs and be just irrelevant as any of the other coaches whose team isn't one of the top 4 this year. Mark Dantonio has won more games (with less talent) than any other Midwestern school in the past 5 years, but attrition has caught up to him this year as well, and MSU is out of the picture. The same can be said of David Shaw at Stanford, who comes limping into ND tonight, season already "over" in relation to title implications... Tom Herman (who I really respect) just lost to Navy, likely ending any chance Houston had.

ND does not exist in a vacuum and Urban Meyer and Nick Saban aren't coming to South Bend. Before Jack Swarbrick fires Brian Kelly, he has to damn well make sure he has a better guy lined up to replace him. And even if he thinks he has that guy, can he really be sure? Afterall, in most years all it will take is a loss or two for an independent ND team to be out of the playoff picture and the fans to start screaming about how the new guy is "not the guy".

ND has been blessed with legendary coaches, who have had a lot of success. Those coaches did so, however, in a time when the best football was largely played by predominantly white, Catholic schools, across the country, that acted as feeder schools for the prestigious Notre Dame. They produced students with grade grades and who were the best football players. ND recruited, in those days, like Alabama and Ohio state are recruiting today... It's not possible to consistently recruit that volume of talent anymore at ND because priorities have changed with kids. More than half of the top players in the country cannot qualify for Notre Dame. Another half of the kids that can don't want to get 2 hours of sleep like Asmar Bilal on Monday because he was studying for exams, when they can go other places where they can still get a quality degree and graduate much easier, while focusing primarily on football.

All things to keep in mind for Jack Swarbrick as he contemplates firing Brian Kelly for the next "sexy" name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT