ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame 1950-1984 vs Notre Dame 1985-2015

he was NEVER the overall # 1 pick. fantasy does not count

Whatever you want to think Pops. There's the official Wiki, and you, an anonymous internet opinion.

But NO other ND player was #1 overall. Only Rocket. The WR.

He's starting over 2 of them. Tate and Floyd. And frankly, he's starting over Tim Brown on some downs. I guess you had to see him to believe him.

Start any other #1 NFL overall pick from ND over him. Especially one drafted as a WR.

And you're not putting in the Rocket at RB, because you're using Ricky Watters for that. You just don't know because I assume you didn't see either play. We haven't had a RB like Ricky Watters since, well, Ricky Watters.
he's NEVER starting over tim brown. the only thing he had over brown was straight line speed. brown was superior in every other facet. not even close. and brown WAS a first round pick.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Whatever you want to think Pops. There's the official Wiki, and you, an anonymous internet opinion.

please show me in what nfl draft raghib ismail was selected as the first overall pick ? the real world not in your fantasy or some wikipedia hypothesis. i prefer facts not ifs, ands or buts.

fantasyland lives on in your mind. facts apparently don't matter.

I like straight line speed. And Rocket was the best of all at YAC. Better than Tim Brown, who was also great. But Rocket was better after he had the ball than anyone of the others. And he was the only #1 pick. EVER.

The point was that Rocket deserved in the conversation of great ND WR's. I don't think it's still even in question. He was one of the best. If not the best, in ND history and will always be in the conversation.

And he was the only #1 pick. EVER. I'm gonna go with the official Wiki over an anonymous internet opinion.

I like straight line speed. And Rocket was the best of all at YAC. Better than Tim Brown, who was also great. But Rocket was better after he had the ball than anyone of the others. And he was the only #1 pick. EVER.

The point was that Rocket deserved in the conversation of great ND WR's. I don't think it's still even in question. He was one of the best. If not the best, in ND history and will always be in the conversation.

And he was the only #1 pick. EVER. I'm gonna go with the official Wiki over an anonymous internet opinion.

Look on down to 1991 ... Rocket Ismail selected in 4th round, 100th pick overall.

ND's ONLY #1 overall pick since 1966 was Walt Patulski.

From the old days (pre-1966) #1 overall picks included Paul Horning, Leon Hart, Boley Dancewicz (I never heard of him), and Angelo Bertelli.

Reactions: echowaker
Echo what I am gathering from Johns' assertion is that the Cowboys [hate'em since after Landry]Considered picking Ismael number one until his flirtation with the CFL became an issue. John if I am mistaken about your position I apologize. If I were picking a pro team I would take Brown's skill set every time as it wears better long term and raw speed alone is like buying ice cubes on the installment plan.[smile]

Thank you green but it wasn't really a flirtation with the CFL. They offered more money than the NFL were offering Rocket for being the #1 pick. So he chose CFL over being the #1 pick. That's never happened before or since so effectively he was the #1 pick. He just chose CFL. To say he wasn't was to deny the reality.

That's the way I spin it, but I'm a fan of Rocket's. So there's that. And I have heard no real argument to refute it, so I'm staying with it.

Thank you green but it wasn't really a flirtation with the CFL. They offered more money than the NFL were offering Rocket for being the #1 pick. So he chose CFL over being the #1 pick. That's never happened before or since so effectively he was the #1 pick. He just chose CFL. To say he wasn't was to deny the reality.

That's the way I spin it, but I'm a fan of Rocket's. So there's that. And I have heard no real argument to refute it, so I'm staying with it.
Perhaps flirtation was the wrong word to use. Was that when Ballard or maybe Bassett owned the Argos and he was trying to buy a Grey Cup?

Thanks for straightening me out and fixing the Wiki on the Rocket. I went and checked and you are correct sir. There is no longer any mention of him being a #1 pick of the Dallas Cowboys. You're right. Thanks for straightening out the wiki entry so it no longer mentions the fact that Rocket was the #1 pick for the Cowboys. You're really intelligent and have certainly taught me a lesson.

Your argument isn't with me, it's with wikipedia:

Ismail was going to be selected as the first overall pick in the 1991 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys, until he decided to sign with the Toronto Argonauts.

Please work out your argument with them then return with the corrected wiki link.
the word "was" is speculation. can't be a fact if it never happened. i WAS going to date jennifer aniston too. it WAS my intention. it just never happened. i was always too busy.

Thanks for straightening me out and fixing the Wiki on the Rocket. I went and checked and you are correct sir. There is no longer any mention of him being a #1 pick of the Dallas Cowboys. You're right. Thanks for straightening out the wiki entry so it no longer mentions the fact that Rocket was the #1 pick for the Cowboys. You're really intelligent and have certainly taught me a lesson.
how can someone be the # 1 pick yet never be selected # 1 ? that lump on your head from the continual wall banging must be huge. it's okay to be wrong. we all are more than we are not.

^^Yeah, I see my mistake now. I was reading the full article with all the facts, not reading only the narrow portion that you approve of. Best to stay in your little world there fella. Let the men read all the facts and get it worked out for you.

Blinders on Pops, full speed ahead!

^^Yeah, I see my mistake now. I was reading the full article with all the facts, not reading only the narrow portion that you approve of. Best to stay in your little world there fella. Let the men read all the facts and get it worked out for you.

Blinders on Pops, full speed ahead!
fantasyland lives !

crable could hang with eifert. he was one of the most underrated players in nd history. i'd take him over teo in a heartbeat. more fundamentally sound and consistent over his entire nd career.

While Crable was a fantastic linebacker, I think it would be suicide to match him up on Eifert, particularly in the passing game. I don't think people credit Eifert enough for his special he is / was... Tyler is 6'6, 255lbs, ran 4.68 (sub 4.7 for a TE is cooking) and had a 35.5 inch vertical at the NFL draft and caught EVERYTHING around him.

I don't know that you could ever legitimately play a linebacker on Eifert for the entirety of a game and not have him eat you alive... Eifert was the first TE in decade (a decade that produced some of the best pass catchers, including pass catching tight ends in NFL history) to have 1000 yards receiving on the season. Just incredible feat....

Even if we adjust Crable's weight up to about 240lbs (he played at ND at 225lbs) to reflect modern training, Eifert was 3 inches taller, has longer arms, a higher vertical jump, and 15lbs on Crable... I'd take that matchup all day, although I doubt Crable follows Eifert out into space when he plays detached, because he would be completely lost covering him out there where Eifert ran routes like a guy 4 inches shorter and 40lbs lighter.

Head-to-head, Eifert, IMO, little contest...

In fact, I think Ara's entire secondary (except Bradley) would be highly overmatched by the receiving group I presented... Consider this...

Tim Brown: 1st round pick
Michael Floyd: 1st round pick
Tyler Eifert: 1st round pick
Golden Tate: 2nd round pick

Luther Bradley: 1st round pick
Ted Burgmeier: 5th round pick
Jim Browner: 12th round pick
Joe Restic: Undrafted?

So Bradley plays heads up vs Brown in a great matchup, and the rest of the post 1984 1st round studs matchup against guys the NFL didn't think overly highly of at all?... Massive matchup advantage for "my guys".

In fact, I think Ara's entire secondary (except Bradley) would be highly overmatched by the receiving group I presented... Consider this...

So Bradley plays heads up vs Brown in a great matchup, and the rest of the post 1984 1st round studs matchup against guys the NFL didn't think overly highly of at all?... Massive matchup advantage for "my guys".
IIO you going to see your boy Sinopli inducted into the HoF this weekend? [I played against his father a linebacker for the Varsity Blues in the early and mid seventies]. Going to be in town and attending the closing practice of Spring Ball.

So where is the respect?

Opinions are like favorite foods-everybody has at least one. There are no absolute right answers to this thread. I believe Coach Parseghian and his staff would devise a defense that would slow down Lou's offense. Ara's multiple set offense would carry the day after building up the lads to play in today's football world. JMHO!

We're not running Lou's offense. Tony Rice is subject to the same advanced training you want for the guys of your generation... Remember, rice played at Notre Dame almost 30 years ago as well. He's now a tougher, more fiery, Malik Zaire running Brian Kelly's spread option, with Mike Sanford as his QB coach.... Inside zone with the Bus behind that offensive line, read option off of that with a big, strong, chiselled Rice and Rocket running jet sweeps, outside zone, speed option, bubble screens coming off the bench... Eifert as a matchup nightmare moving all over the field, Golden Tate testing the week and running crossing routes all over the place. Tim Brown in the Will Fuller X role, running verticals all over the place, and Michael Floyd at W on fade routes against an undersized corner and sticks routes as the chain mover... The offense would be beyond dynamic :)

I believe Tim Brown could have been one of the greatest Wide receivers ever if he did not have so many bad knee injuries. Too have the great career he ended up having anyway was a testament to his mental and physical toughness.,
We're not running Lou's offense. Tony Rice is subject to the same advanced training you want for the guys of your generation... Remember, rice played at Notre Dame almost 30 years ago as well. He's now a tougher, more fiery, Malik Zaire running Brian Kelly's spread option, with Mike Sanford as his QB coach.... Inside zone with the Bus behind that offensive line, read option off of that with a big, strong, chiselled Rice and Rocket running jet sweeps, outside zone, speed option, bubble screens coming off the bench... Eifert as a matchup nightmare moving all over the field, Golden Tate testing the week and running crossing routes all over the place. Tim Brown in the Will Fuller X role, running verticals all over the place, and Michael Floyd at W on fade routes against an undersized corner and sticks routes as the chain mover... The offense would be beyond dynamic :)

You are mad !! I like it !!

How bout this; Aliz'e Jones as our current match up nightmare and Tori Hunter Jr. as our new Golden Tate ?? Who knows?

So where is the respect?

Tons of respect to all ND Legends, but why should a 12th round NFL Draft Pick or an undrafted safety get the same respect from me in a head-to-head game as First round picks Eifert, Floyd and Brown, who own just about every record at ND for pass catchers...

I prefer my taller secondary, 2 of whom were 1st round picks in Smith and Lyght and Taylor, who was a 2nd round pick.

IIO, you're madder than a old tomcat that just had his tail stepped on. Thanks Bodi for the heads up! I haven't had this much fun since my old pal 35 and I use to play games together here. You made an interesting statement a while ago. You are seriously sending Coach Kelly up against Ara Parseghian (in his prime) in ND Stadium under the lights? I'm all in on that any day of the week!!!!!!!!

***We are taking these players off the field at ND before they ever drafted or started their pro careers . I could care less what they accomplished in the NFL. If I cared then Joe Montana would be my QB all day long.

**** Greengael, Do you remember what Coach Tom Pagna said irritated him the most about Ara Parseghian?

***** Bodi, Can you remember off hand what Howard Cosell said at the start of the 1973 Sugar Bowl game against Alabama that probably irritated Father Ted and the ND administration?

****** Of course all the players are on equal footing going into the game. It's the only fair way to play it. Hypothetically of course. Skill, heart, determination, nastiness, and coaching will determine the outcome of this game. It's to bad it can only be fought on the keyboard. It would be a fun game to watch on NBC.

1973 ND defeats the Richard Todd led Crimson tide in the game of the century ! I remember Richard Todd catching a TD pass and Al Hunters long Kickoff return for a TD but I can not for the life of me remember what Howard Cosell said that pissed of Father Ted !! What was it ?

IIO, you're madder than a old tomcat that just had his tail stepped on. Thanks Bodi for the heads up! I haven't had this much fun since my old pal 35 and I use to play games together here. You made an interesting statement a while ago. You are seriously sending Coach Kelly up against Ara Parseghian (in his prime) in ND Stadium under the lights? I'm all in on that any day of the week!!!!!!!!

***We are taking these players off the field at ND before they ever drafted or started their pro careers . I could care less what they accomplished in the NFL. If I cared then Joe Montana would be my QB all day long.

**** Greengael, Do you remember what Coach Tom Pagna said irritated him the most about Ara Parseghian?

***** Bodi, Can you remember off hand what Howard Cosell said at the start of the 1973 Sugar Bowl game against Alabama that probably irritated Father Ted and the ND administration?

****** Of course all the players are on equal footing going into the game. It's the only fair way to play it. Hypothetically of course. Skill, heart, determination, nastiness, and coaching will determine the outcome of this game. It's to bad it can only be fought on the keyboard. It would be a fun game to watch on NBC.

Ara, I'd love to see that game played... I went ahead and did my best to adjust the weight of the players on your team in attempt to try to reflect modern training methods and nutrition. I also went ahead and made the same adjustments for the players on my team, who happened to play at the beginning of the 1985-2015 era. I want to keep it is fair as possible... This is what I came up with.

1985-2015 Notre Dame

QB: Tony Rice (6'1, 210lbs)- Undrafted
RB: Jerome Bettis (5'11, 250lbs)- 1st round pick
WR: Michael Floyd (6'3, 225lbs)- 1st round pick
WR: Golden Tate (5'11, 195lbs)- 2nd round pick
WR: Tim Brown (6'0, 200lbs)- 1st round pick
TE: Tyler Eifert (6'6, 255lbs)- 1st round pick
LT: Andy Heck (6'6, 320lbs)- 1st round pick
LG: Aaron Taylor (6'4, 310lbs)- 1st round pick
C: Jeff Faine (6'3, 300lbs)- 1st round pick
RG: Zack Martin (6'4, 315lbs)- 1st round pick
RT: Ronnie Stanley (6'5, 315lbs)- 1st round pick
KR: Raghib Ismail (6'0, 200lbs)- 4th round pick

DE: Justin Tuck (6'5, 265lbs)- 3rd round pick
NG: Chris Zorich (6'1, 290lbs)- 2nd round pick
DT: Bryant Young (6'3, 315lbs)- 1st round pick
DE: Stephon Tuitt (6'5, 310lbs) 2nd round pick
OLB: Mike Stonebreaker (6'1, 235lbs)- 9th round pick
ILB: Manti Te'o (6'1, 245lbs)- 2nd round pick
OLB: Jaylon Smith (6'2, 240lbs)- 1st round pick**
CB: Todd Lyght (6'0, 200lbs)- 1st round pick
FS: Bobby Taylor (6'3, 220lbs)- 2nd round pick
SS: Harison Smith (6'2, 220lbs)- 1st round pick
CB: Shane Walton (5'11, 195lbs)- 5th round pick

1950-1984 Notre Dame

QB: Joe Theismann (6'0, 200lbs)- 4th round pick
RB: Vargas Ferguson (6'1, 215lbs)- 1st round pick
FB: Paul Hornung (6'2, 235lbs)- 1st round pick
WR: Tom Gatewood (6'2, 210lbs)- 5th round pick
WR: Jim Seymour (6'4, 220lbs)- 1st round pick
TE: Ken McAfee (6'4, 250lbs)-1st round pick
LT: Paul Seiler (6'4, 310lbs)- 1st round pick
LG: Paul Regner (6'1, 295lbs)- 1st round pick
C: George Goedekke (6'3, 300lbs)- 3rd round pick
RG: Dick Swatland (6'3, 300lbs)- 8th round pick
RT: Bob Kuechenberg (6'2, 300lbs)- 4th round pick

DE: Allan Page (6'4, 265lbs)- 1st round pick
DT: Pete Duranko (6'2, 300lbs)- 1st round pick
NG: Kevin Hardy (6'5, 310lbs)- 1st round pick
DE: Ross Browner (6'3, 265lbs)- 1st round pick
OLB: Jim Lynch (6'1, 235lbs)- 2nd round pick
ILB: Bob Golic (6'2, 250lbs)- 2nd round pick
OLB: Bob Crable (6'3, 245lbs) -1st round pick
CB: Luther Bradley (6'2, 210lbs)- 1st round pick
FS: Joe Restic (6'2, 220lbs)- Undrafted
SS: Jim Browner (6'1, 210lbs)- 12th round pick
CB: Ted Burgmeier (5'10, 190lbs)- 5th round pick

Total Draft Picks

1985-2015

1st round picks: 14
2nd round picks: 4
3rd round picks: 1
4th round picks: 1
5th round picks: 1
9th round picks: 1
Undrafted: 1

1950-1984

1st round picks: 12
2nd round picks: 2
3rd round picks: 1
4th round picks: 2
5th round picks: 2
8th round picks: 1
12th round picks: 1
Undrafted: 1

Note: I think that's a pretty fair comparison using the frames and height of modern players to predict the relative size of the team you put forward. Would certainly be a fun game to watch. You would take the advantage of Ara in coaching and the toughness of your team. I would take the edge in size along both fronts, NFL quality talent and the matchup with my wide receivers vs your secondary... Should be a good one.

For the record, using players from both teams mentioned to form an ND team from 1950-2015, mine would look like this...

Coach: Ara Parseghian
QB: Joe Theismann (50-84)
RB: Jerome Bettis (85-15)
WR: Jim Seymour (50-84)
WR: Michael Floyd (85-15)
Slot: Tim Brown (85-15)
TE: Tyler Eifert (85-15)
LT: Andy Heck (85-15)
LG: Aaron Taylor (85-15)
C: Paul Seiler (50-84)
RG: Zack Martin (85-15)
RT: Ronnie Stanley (85-15)
FB: Paul Hornung (50-84)
KR: Raghib Ismail (85-15)

DE: Justin Tuck (85-15)
DT: Allan Page (50-84)
NG: Bryant Young (85-15)
DE: Ross Browner (50-84)
OLB: Bob Crable (50-84)
ILB: Manti Te'o (85-15)
OLB: Jaylon Smith (85-15)
CB: Todd Lyght (85-15)
FS: Bobby Taylor (85-15)
SS: Harrison Smith (85-15)
CB: Luther Bradley (50-84)

Ara,

I enjoy your insight on your team and your reasoning. Thanks for participating! I'm choosing Coach Kelly's offense, only because I find it to be more dynamic than Coach Holtz's offense. I very much enjoy the spread and the binds it puts defenders in... For the record, though, I would have Coach Diaco as my DC during the Kelly era over Coach Van Gorder...

Here is why I chose who I did....

Tony Rice: The same size as Malik Zaire, but tough as hell, one of ND's great leaders and he ran a 4.48, 40. That's flying for a quarterback. Mike Sanford would have him coached up as a passer and he wouldn't be hiding behind anyone if there was a fist fight before kickoff. Just a badass dude.

Jerome Bettis: with modern nutrition and strength training would be absurb. Maybe the best feat for a big back in football history. Perfect to run the inside zone track and find the seams in the defense. He could run through people, over them and around them. NFL Hall of Famer for a reason.

Tim Brown: One of the greatest receivers in all of football. Impossible to leave off the team. Would fill the X receiver role (Will Fuller) impeccably. Far better route runner than a Fuller and great hands. Would have a field day in BK's offense. A better season than even his Heisman campaign.

Michael Floyd: He owns the ND's receiving record book. It literally belongs to him. Just an enormously strong human being and it's unfair he runs 4.4 at 6'3, 225lbs. Great leaper and high pointer of the football. A chain moving machine and an unbelievable run blocker on the weak side. Perfect for the W receiver. We already saw what he could do in BK's offense to the tune of 30+ receiving TD's.

Golden Tate: Shifty, fast, incredible hands and more reliable as a receiver than Ismail, Tate would be an ideal slot receiver. I'll take a Biletnikoff winner on my offense any day of the week. My trash talker on offense.

Tyler Eifert: A nightmare wherever he lines up. First TE in a decade to have over 1000 yards receiving. Did he ever drop a ball in traffic, regardless of how big a hit he took? Reliable, dependable, clutch and nearly unbeatable witht the ball in the air. Best TE ever at ND, IMO, and that's saying a lot given how storied a position it is in South Bend.

Andy Heck: Long, physical and athletic. Everything you would want in a left tackle... Nothing more needs to be said here. Alright. Fine. Rock solid.

Aaron Taylor: The Best OL ever at ND? Maybe. No team I could have made would be complete without this consensus All American and future NFL star.

Jeff Faine: The definition of toughness includes Jeff Faine's name. I've missed him every day since he's left for the NFL. Just a bulldog of a center that would be needed to counter your DT's. Would love him on double teams on inside zone pairing with Taylor and Martin.

Zack Martin: First All Pro rookie offensive lineman in 40 years. What finally to be in. Oh, and he happened to start every game for 4 years at ND and succeeded to not give up a sack for his final 2 years. Ferocious run blocker in tandem with Chris Watt. What more could you ask of an offensive lineman?

Ronnie Stanley: Will go down as one of the most athletic OL in ND history. Not a devastating run blocker, but elite athlete and pass protector (which my offense needs). He and Ross Browner would be one hell of a matchup in terms of athleticism on the edge. That would be worth the price of admission.

Rocket Ismail: obvious choice as my punt and kick returner, but he'd all play my all purpose, Percy Harvin type role in the offense. Speed back, slot receiver, screen back, etc, etc... Can't teach his speed and game breaking ability.

Justin Tuck: ND's single season sack leader. Probably an NFL Hall of Famer as well. Beat pass rusher ND has ever produced. Would be my weak side defensive end without question. The answer to what happens when ND actually pulls a kid out of Alabama.

Bryant Young: Man child in the middle of the the defense. Your smallish offensive line would have their hands full with their All American in the middle. What an incredible pocket disrupter he was and he could play 3 positions on the DL.

Chris Zorich: Your team is certainly not short on tough guys with a lot of heart. Here is one of my own. The heart-and-soul of the defense. 110% effort on every play.

Stephon Tuitt: #2 all time in single season sacks at ND, behind only the guy on the other end. 6'5, 310lb men aren't suppose to move that fast or bend that well. We're starting to see him be a force for the Steelers as well. Not fair when he's coming off the edge and nearly impossible to move in the run game.

Mike Stonebreaker: I want my Will linebacker to be tough as nails against the run and not afraid to sacrifice himself to take on a guard. Mike did that with a smile on his face. He brings the "crazy" to the defense.

Manti Te'o: defensive captain. His teammates loved him and he had a special senior season that included 7 interceptions from his ILB spot. He almost won the Heisman for Heaven's Sakes! One of the all time greats in his ability to lead, inspire and make a clutch play.

Jaylon Smith: It's a shame we never got to see him screaming off the edge at SAM. The most athletic LB at ND. Ever. Period. Probably runs 4.5 or better, easily could play corner and run in coverage, can leap out the stadium and would have been a top 5 pick if not for the injury. If you're creating a linebacker in a lab, it's Jaylon Smith. Wonderful ambassador for Notre Dame as well.

Todd Lyght: All American. Check. National Championship. check. Top 5 pick. Check. Super Bowl. Check. Pro Bowl. Check. Yes, I'll take ND's best ever lockdown corner on my team.

Bobby Taylor: I like big, rangy, nasty, angry, 6'3, 215lb safeties with range and the ability to strike fear in receivers coming over the middle... Wait, who doesn't?

Harrison Smith: The brains of the defense. Oh yeah and a 6'2, 220lb, 4.5 safety running the alley against the option. We're going to need that. Great tackler and one of the better safeties I've ever seen at disguising coverage (see Miami in the Sun Bowl).

Shane Walton: Why Walton here? Personal favourite. Consensus All American and probably the best senior season (statistically) by an ND corner ever. He and Vontez Duff were just plain awesome together. Walton's my trash talker and the guy who fires up the defense, on his way to making every clutch pick imaginable.

While Crable was a fantastic linebacker, I think it would be suicide to match him up on Eifert, particularly in the passing game. I don't think people credit Eifert enough for his special he is / was... Tyler is 6'6, 255lbs, ran 4.68 (sub 4.7 for a TE is cooking) and had a 35.5 inch vertical at the NFL draft and caught EVERYTHING around him.

I don't know that you could ever legitimately play a linebacker on Eifert for the entirety of a game and not have him eat you alive... Eifert was the first TE in decade (a decade that produced some of the best pass catchers, including pass catching tight ends in NFL history) to have 1000 yards receiving on the season. Just incredible feat....

Even if we adjust Crable's weight up to about 240lbs (he played at ND at 225lbs) to reflect modern training, Eifert was 3 inches taller, has longer arms, a higher vertical jump, and 15lbs on Crable... I'd take that matchup all day, although I doubt Crable follows Eifert out into space when he plays detached, because he would be completely lost covering him out there where Eifert ran routes like a guy 4 inches shorter and 40lbs lighter.

Head-to-head, Eifert, IMO, little contest...
we'll agree to disagree.

Ara,

I enjoy your insight on your team and your reasoning. Thanks for participating! I'm choosing Coach Kelly's offense, only because I find it to be more dynamic than Coach Holtz's offense. I very much enjoy the spread and the binds it puts defenders in... For the record, though, I would have Coach Diaco as my DC during the Kelly era over Coach Van Gorder...

Here is why I chose who I did....

Tony Rice: The same size as Malik Zaire, but tough as hell, one of ND's great leaders and he ran a 4.48, 40. That's flying for a quarterback. Mike Sanford would have him coached up as a passer and he wouldn't be hiding behind anyone if there was a fist fight before kickoff. Just a badass dude.

Jerome Bettis: with modern nutrition and strength training would be absurb. Maybe the best feat for a big back in football history. Perfect to run the inside zone track and find the seams in the defense. He could run through people, over them and around them. NFL Hall of Famer for a reason.

Tim Brown: One of the greatest receivers in all of football. Impossible to leave off the team. Would fill the X receiver role (Will Fuller) impeccably. Far better route runner than a Fuller and great hands. Would have a field day in BK's offense. A better season than even his Heisman campaign.

Michael Floyd: He owns the ND's receiving record book. It literally belongs to him. Just an enormously strong human being and it's unfair he runs 4.4 at 6'3, 225lbs. Great leaper and high pointer of the football. A chain moving machine and an unbelievable run blocker on the weak side. Perfect for the W receiver. We already saw what he could do in BK's offense to the tune of 30+ receiving TD's.

Golden Tate: Shifty, fast, incredible hands and more reliable as a receiver than Ismail, Tate would be an ideal slot receiver. I'll take a Biletnikoff winner on my offense any day of the week. My trash talker on offense.

Tyler Eifert: A nightmare wherever he lines up. First TE in a decade to have over 1000 yards receiving. Did he ever drop a ball in traffic, regardless of how big a hit he took? Reliable, dependable, clutch and nearly unbeatable witht the ball in the air. Best TE ever at ND, IMO, and that's saying a lot given how storied a position it is in South Bend.

Andy Heck: Long, physical and athletic. Everything you would want in a left tackle... Nothing more needs to be said here. Alright. Fine. Rock solid.

Aaron Taylor: The Best OL ever at ND? Maybe. No team I could have made would be complete without this consensus All American and future NFL star.

Jeff Faine: The definition of toughness includes Jeff Faine's name. I've missed him every day since he's left for the NFL. Just a bulldog of a center that would be needed to counter your DT's. Would love him on double teams on inside zone pairing with Taylor and Martin.

Zack Martin: First All Pro rookie offensive lineman in 40 years. What finally to be in. Oh, and he happened to start every game for 4 years at ND and succeeded to not give up a sack for his final 2 years. Ferocious run blocker in tandem with Chris Watt. What more could you ask of an offensive lineman?

Ronnie Stanley: Will go down as one of the most athletic OL in ND history. Not a devastating run blocker, but elite athlete and pass protector (which my offense needs). He and Ross Browner would be one hell of a matchup in terms of athleticism on the edge. That would be worth the price of admission.

Rocket Ismail: obvious choice as my punt and kick returner, but he'd all play my all purpose, Percy Harvin type role in the offense. Speed back, slot receiver, screen back, etc, etc... Can't teach his speed and game breaking ability.

Justin Tuck: ND's single season sack leader. Probably an NFL Hall of Famer as well. Beat pass rusher ND has ever produced. Would be my weak side defensive end without question. The answer to what happens when ND actually pulls a kid out of Alabama.

Bryant Young: Man child in the middle of the the defense. Your smallish offensive line would have their hands full with their All American in the middle. What an incredible pocket disrupter he was and he could play 3 positions on the DL.

Chris Zorich: Your team is certainly not short on tough guys with a lot of heart. Here is one of my own. The heart-and-soul of the defense. 110% effort on every play.

Stephon Tuitt: #2 all time in single season sacks at ND, behind only the guy on the other end. 6'5, 310lb men aren't suppose to move that fast or bend that well. We're starting to see him be a force for the Steelers as well. Not fair when he's coming off the edge and nearly impossible to move in the run game.

Mike Stonebreaker: I want my Will linebacker to be tough as nails against the run and not afraid to sacrifice himself to take on a guard. Mike did that with a smile on his face. He brings the "crazy" to the defense.

Manti Te'o: defensive captain. His teammates loved him and he had a special senior season that included 7 interceptions from his ILB spot. He almost won the Heisman for Heaven's Sakes! One of the all time greats in his ability to lead, inspire and make a clutch play.

Jaylon Smith: It's a shame we never got to see him screaming off the edge at SAM. The most athletic LB at ND. Ever. Period. Probably runs 4.5 or better, easily could play corner and run in coverage, can leap out the stadium and would have been a top 5 pick if not for the injury. If you're creating a linebacker in a lab, it's Jaylon Smith. Wonderful ambassador for Notre Dame as well.

Todd Lyght: All American. Check. National Championship. check. Top 5 pick. Check. Super Bowl. Check. Pro Bowl. Check. Yes, I'll take ND's best ever lockdown corner on my team.

Bobby Taylor: I like big, rangy, nasty, angry, 6'3, 215lb safeties with range and the ability to strike fear in receivers coming over the middle... Wait, who doesn't?

Harrison Smith: The brains of the defense. Oh yeah and a 6'2, 220lb, 4.5 safety running the alley against the option. We're going to need that. Great tackler and one of the better safeties I've ever seen at disguising coverage (see Miami in the Sun Bowl).

Shane Walton: Why Walton here? Personal favourite. Consensus All American and probably the best senior season (statistically) by an ND corner ever. He and Vontez Duff were just plain awesome together. Walton's my trash talker and the guy who fires up the defense, on his way to making every clutch pick imaginable.
i 'd prefer ken mcafee at tight end. a beast who could block and he played during a time when the rules required you to block, not the legalized holding like we've had.

MacAfee was in a league of his own! He was ahead of his time as a receiver when Most who played the position were more like wide guards! Although he could block like a tackle at 6'4" 250 a true stud.

Reactions: Bodizephax
i 'd prefer ken mcafee at tight end. a beast who could block and he played during a time when the rules required you to block, not the legalized holding like we've had.

Can't go wrong with either! For me, however, I'll take Eifert because I'm running a spread passing attack in which I want my TE flexed, playing on the perimeter at times and attached in a traditional role. I think Eifert is a better athlete than McAfee, although the latter is certainly the better blocker (not that Eifert was at all a slouch). In the redzone I want to be able to move Eifert to X, with Floyd at Z, giving me a massive heIght and blocking advantage on the perimeter.

Might I suggest Barry Alvarez for defensive coordinator. I thought he did a great job at ND under Holtz. I hoped he might want to return to ND someday but he never seemed interested in the job. I loved Tony Rice as our QB. 24-1 in his last two seasons at ND. He wasn't a great passer, but that determination to win was the highest I've seen in 58 years of watching football at all levels. I remarked to my brother after the win over Colorado in 1990, to take a long look because you might not see another like him in our lifetime. He was a remarkable college quarterback. Given the option, I would take Tony over Theismann or Montana coming out of college. He had heart, determination, and a inhuman dose of leadership. One of a kind!

Ara,

If I can cherry pick coaches for my team from different eras, then I'm definitely going with Alvarez as my DC :)... I guess I can take any coaches from within my era then so I'll start my staff something like this.

Head Coach: Lou Holtz

Offensive Coordinator / Running backs: Brian Kelly
Quarterbacks: Charlie Weis
Wide Receivers: Urban Meyer
Tight Ends: Mike Denbrock
Offensive Line: Joe Moore

Defensive Coordinator / linebackers: Barry Alvarez
Defensive Line: Bob Diaco
Defensive Backs: Tyrone Willingham

Tom Pagna said the thing that constantly irritated him was Ara took all the fastest players and played them on defense. It's the reason ND always played outstanding defense under him. I don't recall ever reading 40 times in the 11 seasons during his Era. The defenders seem to play like heat seeking missiles and they packed a wallop on impact. People (the experts) also thought Alabama would run away from ND in their two bowl match ups. The eyes can deceive you because there's track speed vs football speed (determined by speed, recognition, and taking the proper angle to intercept the ball carrier).

I have good news for you Barry was the DC in 1988 &1989 before moving on to Wisconsin in 1991. You had me questioning my own sanity for a moment. I had to check it out first.

I have no problem with you selecting any ND coach from that era. Like the players they come to the staff from the day they last coached at ND. I don't care what they went on to become in later years. I'm taking Ara's (1970) coaching staff in it's entirety from the 1966 team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_football_team

Just make sure you have John Ray, the defense coordinator of the 1966 team.

You mentioned earlier that the 1966 ND defense yielded only 38 points all season. Actually the TEAM yielded 38 ... the defense yielded less. I believe two of the scores ... a Leroy Keyes (Purdue) fumble return for a TD and a interception return for a TD in some other game were part of those 38 points surrendered that year. Stout defense indeed.

Ara,

If I can cherry pick coaches for my team from different eras, then I'm definitely going with Alvarez as my DC :)... I guess I can take any coaches from within my era then so I'll start my staff something like this.

Head Coach: Lou Holtz

Offensive Coordinator / Running backs: Brian Kelly
Quarterbacks: Charlie Weis
Wide Receivers: Urban Meyer
Tight Ends: Mike Denbrock
Offensive Line: Joe Moore

Defensive Coordinator / linebackers: Barry Alvarez
Defensive Line: Bob Diaco
Defensive Backs: Tyrone Willingham

I would put Urban Meyer ahead of Lou Holtz as head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT