ADVERTISEMENT

When Recruiting Meets Retention

It is not like Kelly can keep them prisoners.

ND is one of the few institutions that commits to a 4 year scholarship, beyond the year to year enforced at many places.

He doesn't have to keep them prisoner. It's a Catholic school. None are better at playing the guilt trip than Catholic schools.

As you say, ND honors the scholarship 4 years. The team should expect the same from each player.

We've been discussing Notre Dame's defense and whether recruiting, scheme, development, or more than likely, what percentage of each, has attributed to Notre Dame's poor defensive play. While there have been some misses in recruiting, the scheme has been lacking and development has been questionable at times, the one issue people don't seem to be discussing is personnel retention. For the most part, the best defenses across the country are the ones built full of upper classmen, who have had time to develop... I took some time out to evaluate the 2 components of retention, not including early departures for the NFL, which is in theory, a positive, not a negative. Therefore, I looked at transfers / academic casualties / dismissals, and players who retired for medical reasons...

Wow, a post that doesn't simply say "Fire Kelly!" How refreshing is that?

I'm definitely among those who thinks Kelly's been bumping up his ceiling since he arrived at ND, but I also think there has been some terrible luck when it comes to injuries and players not qualifying or getting into trouble or choosing to transfer. There have also been more than enough coaching blunders.

I think many of us are extra frustrated because we didn't expect this team to suck so badly -- even those of us who didn't expect it to be that good this year with all the new starters.

IIO

yesterday is done and gone, like a lot of those players; so, question for you:
do you think that with the departure of BVG and BK's more focused involvment with the defense
will also mean a more BK involvement in the defensive recruiting effort?

Perse,

I hope so. ND will struggle to pull elite players down the stretch without a DC, so Kelly is going to have to really sell himself and the system to finish this class with some quality defensive recruits.

Really would like to see ND close by landing

FS: Jaiden Cole
FC / NB: Thomas Graham
LB / DE: Jacob Phillips
DE: Josh Paschal

Of course you keep recruiting down the stretch, but ND has a chance with those guys.

if ND gets those 4 guys and that is it; then this defensive class is another ordinary class. There would not be a single impact prospect in the group. The front seven prospects would each be projects of some degree. ND needs a Solomon Thomas type of guy in this class! That finish would pretty much seal Kelly's fate that he will not get ND a major bowl win during his tenure.
Everyone focuses on the DB's inability to cover, but if the ND DL cannot get pressure on the QB then it really does not matter who the DB's are unless they were Haines, Tatum, Wood, Sanders!

if ND gets those 4 guys and that is it; then this defensive class is another ordinary class. There would not be a single impact prospect in the group. The front seven prospects would each be projects of some degree. ND needs a Solomon Thomas type of guy in this class! That finish would pretty much seal Kelly's fate that he will not get ND a major bowl win during his tenure.
Everyone focuses on the DB's inability to cover, but if the ND DL cannot get pressure on the QB then it really does not matter who the DB's are unless they were Haines, Tatum, Wood, Sanders!

Again, I think it's a matter of perspective. For you, average means anything less than one of the few elite defenses in the country... you think that's neccessary, I don't. ND could have a top 25 defense, with numbers similar to the ones I listed for you the other day, and they would be keeping the points in the low 20's most weeks, with an offense capable of scoring 40-50 points any given week.

Would I like to land Shaun Wade, flip a 5 star DE to go along with Paschal, flip Jerron Cage and land Greg Rogers? Of course I would. How many 2-3 teams without a DC could pull that off?

Also, if ND goes back to a 3-4, which best suits their current personnel, Jacob Phillips is an excellent fit (better than Prince Shembo at the same age by a great deal) as the Hybrid rush LB/DE or "CAT" linebacker in Diaco's system... In fact, Daelin Hayes, Julian Okwara and Jacob Phillips are all ideal RUSH Prospects as the stand up player on the edge who could put his hand down.

Darnell Ewell could go to just about any school in the country he's the #9 composite DT, has ideal size at 6'3 and will be over 300lbs, without any bad weight, as a freshman. Ewell has the makings of an impact player.

Donovan Jeter has legit offers from all the powerhouses across the country and was right near the top of Ohio State's wish list. At 6'5, 255lbs, he has the makings of an impact 3-4 DE. Awesome at the point of attack, with some pass rush cpability. Somewhere between Isaac Rochell and Stephon Tuitt, IMO.

Thomas Graham may be an inch or two short for your liking, but we're seeing guys his size do great things across college football these days. Did you watch 5'9 Jourdain Lewis last week for Michigan. Insane one-handed interception. Regardless, Graham is a 0.97 composite, top 50 player, and the #6 ranked corner in the country. A better cover corner version of Shaun Crawford, IMO.

David Adams is going to be a 6'1, 240lb inside backer and he's another composite top 100 kid, with an offer list to match. In a 3-4 defense, I'd be extatic to have Adams on the field in the Carlo Calabrese / Dan Fox role. I think he's an upgrade on either of those guys.

I don't think the class has a Tuitt or a Te'o in it, but it certainly has pieces that fit nicely into a quality 3-4 scheme.

Darnell Ewell could go to just about any school in the country he's the #9 composite DT, has ideal size at 6'3 and will be over 300lbs, without any bad weight, as a freshman. Ewell has the makings of an impact player.

Donovan Jeter has legit offers from all the powerhouses across the country and was right near the top of Ohio State's wish list. At 6'5, 255lbs, he has the makings of an impact 3-4 DE. Awesome at the point of attack, with some pass rush cpability. Somewhere between Isaac Rochell and Stephon Tuitt, IMO.

Thomas Graham may be an inch or two short for your liking, but we're seeing guys his size do great things across college football these days. Did you watch 5'9 Jourdain Lewis last week for Michigan. Insane one-handed interception. Regardless, Graham is a 0.97 composite, top 50 player, and the #6 ranked corner in the country. A better cover corner version of Shaun Crawford, IMO.

David Adams is going to be a 6'1, 240lb inside backer and he's another composite top 100 kid, with an offer list to match. In a 3-4 defense, I'd be extatic to have Adams on the field in the Carlo Calabrese / Dan Fox role. I think he's an upgrade on either of those guys.

I don't think the class has a Tuitt or a Te'o in it, but it certainly has pieces that fit nicely into a quality 3-4 scheme.
Excellent information and analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT