ADVERTISEMENT

Navy @ ND **Game Thread***

you don't think a reporter should ask kelly "Why did you not play buchner more when he came in cold then led a long drive for a td while the offense was struggling?"

Or

"How many poor starts is it going to take for you to realize coan struggles vs a D with a pulse?

Or

"Its been pretty clear against well coached defenses Coan is easy to defend, how do you expect to improve as a team with a qb so easy to defend?"
It’s not really even a D with a pulse. He struggles against drop 8.

It seems like he has been conditioned to get the ball out on a very short timer and drop 8 clouds his early reads.

He immediately checks down to Kyren or a tight end who get swarmed right away because defenses are camping those 8 defenders within 15 yards of the LOS.

He has to take more shots downfield in those situations like the throw down the sidelines to Austin to create space for the underneath routes.

It seems like he has been conditioned to get the ball out on a very short timer and drop 8 clouds his early reads.

He immediately checks down to Kyren or a tight end who get swarmed right away because defenses are camping those 8 defenders within 15 yards of the LOS.

He has to take more shots downfield in those situations like the throw down the sidelines to Austin to create space for the underneath routes.
Or check to a run, which is really the problem. ND is clearly a less effective running team when it’s qb can’t run and oline doesn’t get a push

Or check to a run, which is really the problem. ND is clearly a less effective running team when it’s qb can’t run and oline doesn’t get a push
That seems to be improving quickly though. More downfield shots will open even more running lanes also.

You could see Kelly demonstratively telling Coan to throw it downfield when he came off after one of the 3 and out check down drives.

Virginia vehemently does not believe in playing defense so we should see quite a bit of development next week.

That seems to be improving quickly though. More downfield shots will open even more running lanes also.

You could see Kelly demonstratively telling Coan to throw it downfield when he came off after one of the 3 and out check down drives.

Virginia vehemently does not believe in playing defense so we should see quite a bit of development next week.
Improving against lesser defenses yes. It’s still a concern and is your best argument for getting Buchner more touches.

Good win. Excellent defensive performance. The offense was kind of sluggish in the 1st half, but overall a solid win.

Coan is a game manager only. He is not an elite talent. He is average at best. Were his numbers good when the game ended? Yes. Is he a good pocket passer? Yes. The issue I have is that he has to get pulled almost every game due to his inability to move the ball in the first quarter. He chooses to not keep the ball on a read option. I put this on the play calling and Coans fear of actually running the ball. TB will be good and I think that he will be very good for us. Does anyone think that we don’t score 30+ against navy if TB plays? Coan is a liability against teams that blitz well because he is a statue and does not read the blitz well. Love Notre Dame but I am a realist. We aren’t that good. We struggle against teams we should blow out. As for Kelly, he has underperformed with the talent he has. Does anyone think that VT, NC, FSU , Cincinnati has the same talent level we have? I don’t. Kelly does himself no favors turning the reigns over to a “on the the job training OC” or keeping your friends around like Quinn. Do the teams listed above have a more talented OL? Nope. Just be real, we should not be in top 10 , we should not make a playoff, and acknowledge we are getting out coached by other teams. I don’t think Kelly is a bad coach, he just has too many head scratching moments.

YOU CAN READ LIPS ?

YOU KNOW WHAT KELLY WAS TELLING COAN ?

PLEASE SHARE WORD FOR WORD WITH US !

NEXT YOU‘LL BE TELLING US THAT YOU CAN READ KELLY’S MIND

Coan is a game manager only. He is not an elite talent. He is average at best. Were his numbers good when the game ended? Yes. Is he a good pocket passer? Yes. The issue I have is that he has to get pulled almost every game due to his inability to move the ball in the first quarter. He chooses to not keep the ball on a read option. I put this on the play calling and Coans fear of actually running the ball. TB will be good and I think that he will be very good for us. Does anyone think that we don’t score 30+ against navy if TB plays? Coan is a liability against teams that blitz well because he is a statue and does not read the blitz well. Love Notre Dame but I am a realist. We aren’t that good. We struggle against teams we should blow out. As for Kelly, he has underperformed with the talent he has. Does anyone think that VT, NC, FSU , Cincinnati has the same talent level we have? I don’t. Kelly does himself no favors turning the reigns over to a “on the the job training OC” or keeping your friends around like Quinn. Do the teams listed above have a more talented OL? Nope. Just be real, we should not be in top 10 , we should not make a playoff, and acknowledge we are getting out coached by other teams. I don’t think Kelly is a bad coach, he just has too many head scratching moments.
How would you rate Tom Brady’s fear of running and “statue” like performances ?

Is Tom Brady a liability against the teams that blitz ?

How would you rate Tom Brady’s fear of running and “statue” like performances ?

Is Tom Brady a liability against the teams that blitz ?
Lol. You’re not rational. Your comparing Coan to Brady? Brady has run the ball more than Coan has thought about.

Lol. You’re not rational. Your comparing Coan to Brady? Brady has run the ball more than Coan has thought about.
You just revealed how little you know about football !

in 21 years Brady has ONLY rushed for 1082 yards.

that’s ABOUT 50 yards a YEAR

that’s 3 yards a game

Tell us how you know that Coan has a “FEAR” of running the ball !

Have any of his coaches at Wisconsin or ND EVER MADE THAT CRITICISM ?

I have to disagree, IMO this has been Kelly's finest coaching job. I had us at 9-3 going into this season and that was hopeful. All new offensive line. A brand new QB after losing the school's most productive QB who led the team the last three years. A brand new offensive coordinator with a very different system (not like switching Lea for Elko.) And a bunch of key early injuries (Marist, Blake) What did Kelly do? Somehow got us to 8-1 with a great chance to go 11-1 and be in the Champion Series conversation. And we handed the damn game to Cincy with 3 first half turnovers and a 17-0 deficit. Purdue beats beloved Iowa and smashes MSU. Wisky crushes Iowa and could have scored 70 yesterday. One of those two will win the B10W and beat the B10E (which would move us closer to our goal.)

Coan won a couple of those games (VTech!) That pass he threw yesterday on the 2-point conversion was absolutely perfect. (Good coverage.) Tommy -- roll him out more!!! That is twice Coan has thrown dimes on rollouts... He's a lax player -- as Drew Brees said, they pass on the run. Coan's play has given us a chance to work Tyler in gradually, to build his confidence and allow him to learn from a vet. I like our 1-2 QBs next year... Both will be seasoned and ready.

But, we wouldn't be 8-1 if Coan wasn't our QB. Bravo to Tommy for working him in to a new scheme... (But work on your red zone and opening drives, TR!)

And, don't kid yourself, the success of this team (and the consistency of Kelly's program) has really helped in recruiting. We're still top 5 for both '22 and '23.

Kelly is coaching a gem this year and deserves credit. I just hope USC doesn't pull him away.

Reactions: graceh90
It’s pretty clear at this point that the coaches disagree with you and if I were a reporter I would see that and would not waste time asking it. Yes
Really, you wouldn’t ask about 25 minutes of horrendous offense led by Coan in the first half vs navy?

YOU CAN READ LIPS ?

YOU KNOW WHAT KELLY WAS TELLING COAN ?

PLEASE SHARE WORD FOR WORD WITH US !

NEXT YOU‘LL BE TELLING US THAT YOU CAN READ KELLY’S MIND
You can’t?

And your the one running around this morning calling everyone else an idiot?

Makes sense!

There are people here seriously mentioning Tom Brady and Jack Coan in the same sentence.

Can this place please be shut down already?

Reactions: HDK and GDFan
There are people here seriously mentioning Tom Brady and Jack Coan in the same sentence.

Yeah, it's a pro-ND board, sometimes people get carried away.

If anything it's fans like you that make you think maybe we ought to just shut the whole thing down. Fans that get offended at too much praise being heaped upon their own team....

That's where you find yourself. You have such contempt for the players on your team that you cheer for, including Jack Coan our starting QB on a team that's probably going to end up making the playoff, that you scold fellow ND fans for a throwaway, excited remark, after Coan indeed put up Brady-like numbers.

Nice work ND fan! Keep it up, keep that positive manna flowing.....

I have to disagree, IMO this has been Kelly's finest coaching job. I had us at 9-3 going into this season and that was hopeful. All new offensive line. A brand new QB after losing the school's most productive QB who led the team the last three years. A brand new offensive coordinator with a very different system (not like switching Lea for Elko.) And a bunch of key early injuries (Marist, Blake) What did Kelly do? Somehow got us to 8-1 with a great chance to go 11-1 and be in the Champion Series conversation. And we handed the damn game to Cincy with 3 first half turnovers and a 17-0 deficit. Purdue beats beloved Iowa and smashes MSU. Wisky crushes Iowa and could have scored 70 yesterday. One of those two will win the B10W and beat the B10E (which would move us closer to our goal.)

Coan won a couple of those games (VTech!) That pass he threw yesterday on the 2-point conversion was absolutely perfect. (Good coverage.) Tommy -- roll him out more!!! That is twice Coan has thrown dimes on rollouts... He's a lax player -- as Drew Brees said, they pass on the run. Coan's play has given us a chance to work Tyler in gradually, to build his confidence and allow him to learn from a vet. I like our 1-2 QBs next year... Both will be seasoned and ready.

But, we wouldn't be 8-1 if Coan wasn't our QB. Bravo to Tommy for working him in to a new scheme... (But work on your red zone and opening drives, TR!)

And, don't kid yourself, the success of this team (and the consistency of Kelly's program) has really helped in recruiting. We're still top 5 for both '22 and '23.

Kelly is coaching a gem this year and deserves credit. I just hope USC doesn't pull him away.
I agree with a lot of what you said but Coan doesn’t do to VT without Buchner spark. Coan and Buchner go hand and hand for praise in my book. My issue with Coan is he doesn’t keep the defense honest with the option, and he struggles way to much to move the ball.

Yep, and they were there. Wouldn’t even look downfield until Kelly lit him up 29 minutes into game play right before he hit Austin

Reactions: GDFan

Stu, stop making so much sense, you'll just piss off the know nothing idiots like "Get Nasty" and others. Your post is spot on, the coaching staff in total is doing quite well in this rebuilding year and Coan has played well and gives us the absolute best chance to win. Thank you, great post

We might be 9-0 without Coan….. without pyne and buchner we have 4 losses…. We lose to Toledo, we lose to Wisconsin, we lose to tech, and Cincinnati obviously….

so yeah there’s that

We might be 9-0 without Coan….. without pyne and buchner we have 4 losses…. We lose to Toledo, we lose to Wisconsin, we lose to tech, and Cincinnati obviously….

so yeah there’s that
It has helped having Tyler come in, absolutely. Just like it helped Golson when Rees came in. And Pyne was great when Coan got hurt but...

Do you really think Tyler wouldn't have had his share for Freshman mistakes: ints, etc?

I think I'll trust one of the top five coaches in college football with this decision.

Rankings out -- we're up to #7. Boy, would it piss people off if Kelly got us back to the dance! Go Irish. Very proud of this team.

Reactions: graceh90
It has helped having Tyler come in, absolutely. Just like it helped Golson when Rees came in. And Pyne was great when Coan got hurt but...

Do you really think Tyler wouldn't have had his share for Freshman mistakes: ints, etc?

I think I'll trust one of the top five coaches in college football with this decision.

Rankings out -- we're up to #7. Boy, would it piss people off if Kelly got us back to the dance! Go Irish. Very proud of this team.
Stu, give up, the guys a know nothing. Guy whines every week about EVERYTHING. Coan sucks, Rees sucks, BK sucks .. it absolutely historical week in and week out. But in the end he's flat clueless

Reactions: francade

We are not a playoff caliber team! If you think we are you’re a moron!

Really, you wouldn’t ask about 25 minutes of horrendous offense led by Coan in the first half vs navy?
Cohan’s first half stats are terrific !

Why do you constantly blame Coan for the OLine’s under performing ?

so yeah there’s that
YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL

ITS MORE LIKELY THAT WE’RE 4-5 OR WORSE WITH BUCHNER

You’re a total MORON if you don’t understand the response to a statement that Coan doesn’t run.

HINT: HE’S A POCKET PASSER

POCKET PASSERS DON‘T RUN

BRADY IS A POCKET PASSER

BRADY DOES NOT RUN

1,082 YARDS IN 21 YEARS

HAVE SOMEONE WITH A FOOTBALL IQ ABOVE ZERO EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU

You can’t?

And your the one running around this morning calling everyone else an idiot?

Makes sense!
I NEVER CLAMED THAT I KNEW, WORD FOR WORD, WHAT KELLY WAS SAYING TO COAN.

YOU CLAIMED THAT YOU KNEW.

SO CITE THE CONVERSATION, WORD FOR WORD, OR ADMIT THAT YOU’RE A FRAUD !

I NEVER CLAMED THAT I KNEW, WORD FOR WORD, WHAT KELLY WAS SAYING TO COAN.

YOU CLAIMED THAT YOU KNEW.

SO CITE THE CONVERSATION, WORD FOR WORD, OR ADMIT THAT YOU’RE A FRAUD !
Do you mean when he said “throw it downfield”?

Oh I’m with you…. But people are saying we’re 8-1 and wouldn’t be without Coan…. Coan isn’t why we are 8-1 on the season, we’d be worse if he never came out. It’s like saying in 2012 we’re undefeated because of golson.

Do you mean when he said “throw it downfield”?
Ha…. Kelly literally had to yell at Coan to throw it downfield …. We had Austin wide open once, lenzy twice, mayer once, Davis once …. All deep for potential tds in the first half alone before Kelly yelled at Coan

Yeah, it's a pro-ND board, sometimes people get carried away.

If anything it's fans like you that make you think maybe we ought to just shut the whole thing down. Fans that get offended at too much praise being heaped upon their own team....

That's where you find yourself. You have such contempt for the players on your team that you cheer for, including Jack Coan our starting QB on a team that's probably going to end up making the playoff, that you scold fellow ND fans for a throwaway, excited remark, after Coan indeed put up Brady-like numbers.

Nice work ND fan! Keep it up, keep that positive manna flowing.....
Hey Savvy, just because my statement went over the heads of those with low football IQ‘s doesn’t mean that it’s not meritorious !

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Ha…. Kelly literally had to yell at Coan to throw it downfield …. We had Austin wide open once, lenzy twice, mayer once, Davis once …. All deep for potential tds in the first half alone before Kelly yelled at Coan
Cite the game clock time when Kelly is alleged to have made that statement !

Cite the game clock time when Kelly is alleged to have made that statement !
Dude, you have called the whole board a moron in some form or another. Your posts are virtually 7 of the 9 pages. We all get it that you like Coan. Some of us think differently, for good reason, and you want to single-handedly stamp every opinion out by calling us names. Do you treat everyone this way or are you just taking out your frustration over your miserable life on this board?

Reactions: Golson5
Hasn’t there been enough time since then for him to learn more than 18 plays? He has been here as long as Coan and he is an ND student
No. Buchner isn't the back up if coan goes down, pyne is. That means in practice coan is getting 60-75 % of practice with the first stringers and pyne is getting 20-25%. Buchner only gets enough time to run select packages. It's not practical to have three qbs practicing significant minutes with the 1s each practice.

Oh I’m with you…. But people are saying we’re 8-1 and wouldn’t be without Coan…. Coan isn’t why we are 8-1 on the season, we’d be worse if he never came out. It’s like saying in 2012 we’re undefeated because of golson.
Coan is a big reason. Coming in for a relief series or two is not the same as starting. Without coan we would have had significant growing pains and LOSSES.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT