ADVERTISEMENT

Navy @ ND **Game Thread***

ACCURACY AND EFFICIENCY ARE “THE” CRITICAL QB QUALITIES !

CP AND YPA

AND COAN IS EXCELLING !

BUT YOU WOULDN‘T KNOW THAT
CP and YPA are nice stats but why not just use quarterback rating?(QBR)

There hasn't been much of a drop off between Book and Coan in terms of raw passing efficiency and they are using Buchner well to provide that read option running game that Book provided with his legs.

Interesting way to replace Book's production, but so far, so good.

WHEN YOU’RE TRYING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS YOU DONT SIT YOUR BEST QB IN ORDER TO GIVE A LESSER QB MORE REPS IN PREPARATION FOR NEXT YEAR.

ONLY SOMEONE WHO IS CLUELESS AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL WOULD SUGGEST THAT
So why did kelly put him in and we scored a td

And why did kelly put him in at the end and we scored.

So does Kelly know nothing?

ACCURACY AND EFFICIENCY ARE “THE” CRITICAL QB QUALITIES !

CP AND YPA

AND COAN IS EXCELLING !

BUT YOU WOULDN‘T KNOW THAT
Maybe ND can lobby the NCAA to score games on CP and YPA.

I already said that I do not hate Coan. He just strikes me as sluggish and a happy 3-and-out QB as long as he wins against an unranked team.

No ND fan wants to eek out a win against a 2-6 Navy team - AND, no ND QB wants to be benched multiple times to have your backup QB dropping TDs.

I suppose you could ask the NCAA to score games on CP and YPA or, just let them score games by TDs.

Reactions: VTND and Golson5
Nice win, I liked the way ND handled UNC last week too. The team has looked better in recent weeks. I still think it's going to take nothing short of a miracle to get this team into the playoff. There's only cupcakes left, and the schedule overall is really soft with way too many nail-biters vs trash teams.

Reactions: christophero
People on this board don’t care about winning National Titles. They care about “10 wins a season”.
No one is saying they don't want to win a title. But it's hard if you're not Clemson or Alabama. (Georgia remains to be seen) 10 wins a season is still pretty good.

Coan completed 79.3 % of his passes with some drops.
I’m not arguing that 10 wins isn’t good. But I want a Naty and consistent wins against ELITE teams. 10 wins with 30+ point losses on big stages is not impressive.
Do you demand and produce the same perfection in your vocation ?

Coan completed 79.3 % of his passes with some drops.

Do you demand and produce the same perfection in your vocation ?
Who are you to question this man's profession? ND fans, like myself, witnessed multiple (3 in my case) NCs. There is nothing wrong with us or anyone wanting to see ND win a NC.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Who are you to question this man's profession? ND fans, like myself, witnessed multiple (3 in my case) NCs. There is nothing wrong with us or anyone wanting to see ND win a NC.
I can't stand the bitching about every single offensive play that doesn't go for a big gain or a TD. It has gotten old.

That said, I don't ever see Brian Kelly winning a championship. I think he is a very good coach, who has kind of brought us to a place where we are maybe 4th-to-6th at best and maybe 15th-to-18th at worst.

One of his major weaknesses is his unwillingness to get younger players meaningful playing time earlier in the season. We all know Coan is a caretaker at QB. He's a good quarterback, but clearly limited. I do think by now Buchner or Pyne should be seasoned enough to be challenging Coan for the starting position, but that's not going happen.

Ga is in that mix was my point. The others won titles
But you're kind of making his point. What is that list? Basically 4 teams that are routinely good to great teams and the occasional outlier (FSU) out of over 120 college teams have won a recent championship since we've gone to the playoff system.

God damn, looks like I picked a good day to stop sniffing glue! The haters are in rare form. Just glancing at the game thread and you feel like you need to take a shower. And we just cruised to our first blowout victory of the year.

In any case, holy shit is the ND fanbase nothing but a bunch of toxic sludge. These game-day threads are a horror show.....

Reactions: christophero
You may not like the process but it’s hard to argue with the results.

At this point in time Notre Dame is one of college footballs elite programs.

8-1 with the remaining schedule looking very favorable for a 11-1 regular season is terrific

There hasn't been much of a drop off between Book and Coan in terms of raw passing efficiency and they are using Buchner well to provide that read option running game that Book provided with his legs.

You’re ALL MORONS !

Adopting your philosophy, let’s sit every player who we don’t think will be here next year, including guys who may declare for the draft, and THEN play all the backups for the rest of the season.

And then, we can repeat that process next year and every year thereafter.

YOU’RE MORONS

You may not like the process but it’s hard to argue with the results.

At this point in time Notre Dame is one of college footballs elite programs.

8-1 with the remaining schedule looking very favorable for a 11-1 regular season is terrific

Sorry for quibbling, but I'd put Notre Dame just a shade below elite. At this point, I think we are still short of the kind of excellent players you see across the board at places like Alabama, Georgia, etc... Kelly has shown he can manage a team pretty well over the course of a season, but I don't see the kind of really think-out-of-the-box kind of coaching that would put us over the top.

I can't stand the bitching about every single offensive play that doesn't go for a big gain or a TD. It has gotten old.

That said, I don't ever see Brian Kelly winning a championship. I think he is a very good coach, who has kind of brought us to a place where we are maybe 4th-to-6th at best and maybe 15th-to-18th at worst.

One of his major weaknesses is his unwillingness to get younger players meaningful playing time earlier in the season. We all know Coan is a caretaker at QB. He's a good quarterback, but clearly limited. I do think by now Buchner or Pyne should be seasoned enough to be challenging Coan for the starting position, but that's not going happen.
It’s not going to happen because they are nowhere near the passer that Coan is

Was it Herm Edwards who said, “YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME”

YOU DONT PLAY TO PREPARE FOR NEXT SESSON.

AND, WHEN GAMES ARE SO CLOSE, YOU DON’T PULL YOUR STARTERS

THERE SHOULD BE A MINIMUM IQ REQUIREMENT IN ORDER TO POST.

BY THE WAY, IS THAT HOW ALABAMA, CLEMSON AND OHIO STATE DO IT ?

Coan is clearly the starting QB and TB is used to change things up and NOTHING MORE.
Those idiots wanting to start TB would be basically giving up on the season. Screw them!

Sorry for quibbling, but I'd put Notre Dame just a shade below elite. At this point, I think we are still short of the kind of excellent players you see across the board at places like Alabama, Georgia, etc... Kelly has shown he can manage a team pretty well over the course of a season, but I don't see the kind of really think-out-of-the-box kind of coaching that would put us over the top.
It is my opinion that Kirby Smart or Nick Saban would not do better at ND than Kelly has over the past 5 seasons.

Coan’s QBR RATING WAS 168.6 AGAINST NAVY

And Coan’s deep ball accuracy is far superior

Reactions: TheSodFather
It is my opinion that Kirby Smart or Nick Saban would not do better at ND than Kelly has over the past 5 seasons.
I wouldn't argue. Their teams are loaded with talent. While Alabama has spanked us hard the last two times we've played, our two recent games against Georgia have come down to the wire. I happen to think a better coach may have been able to steal at least one of those games.

I wouldn't argue. Their teams are loaded with talent. While Alabama has spanked us hard the last two times we've played, our two recent games against Georgia have come down to the wire. I happen to think a better coach may have been able to steal at least one of those games.
Isn’t the fact that Kelly played loaded Georgia teams close down to the wire with loaded superior talent an indicator that he is the better coach?

Isn’t the fact that Kelly played loaded Georgia teams close down to the wire with loaded superior talent an indicator that he is the better coach?
I'd say they are pretty close. Smart is typically very conservative. Kelly is usually pretty predictable.

Few legitimate programs did during that time period
My point is more that just because Saban didn't win the Big 10 25 years ago when he was a young coach doesn't mean he is a bad coach. What does he have now, is it 7 championships?

This isn’t the nfl…. There aren’t off days for qbs in college when there is such a gap in talent…. Coan needs the boot
Seriously this is getting old. Coan is off because the oline can't handle the slants or the extra man navy is sending.

Nothing has changed. Coan is good to great when the oline contains the dline.

The complaints about coan are really stupid.

He's both efficient and accurate. He has trouble when pressured early. The oline and coach Quinn are the issue. And have been the whole year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT