ADVERTISEMENT

Navy @ ND **Game Thread***

Ga is in that mix was my point. The others won titles
Yeah, except your point is crap, since you said mediocre, then cited UGA who hasn't won a title since 1980 ... and BTW we've been in the mix as well. Can't have it both ways

So why did kelly put him in and we scored a td

And why did kelly put him in at the end and we scored.

So does Kelly know nothing?
Lol. Seriously these weekly rantings are old.
Buchner isn't in for significant time because when they tried that it was OBVIOUS that he only knew about 18 plays and when they left him to run the rest of the playbook he was exposed. Playing him more when he's not ready risks hurting his confidence before we need him next year, and hurts the currents team chances to win out.

Buchner isn't in for significant time because when they tried that it was OBVIOUS that he only knew about 18 plays and when they left him to run the rest of the playbook he was exposed. Playing him more when he's not ready risks hurting his confidence before we need him next year, and hurts the currents team chances to win out.
Hasn’t there been enough time since then for him to learn more than 18 plays? He has been here as long as Coan and he is an ND student

But you're kind of making his point. What is that list? Basically 4 teams that are routinely good to great teams and the occasional outlier (FSU) out of over 120 college teams have won a recent championship since we've gone to the playoff system.
6 teams. We are trying to get get in that mix. Winning titles isn't easy

He plays fine when he gets in. His confidence isn't hurt at all. He should have played most of the 4th. There was no reason for Coan to be in. Game was over

Maybe ND can lobby the NCAA to score games on CP and YPA.

I already said that I do not hate Coan. He just strikes me as sluggish and a happy 3-and-out QB as long as he wins against an unranked team.

No ND fan wants to eek out a win against a 2-6 Navy team - AND, no ND QB wants to be benched multiple times to have your backup QB dropping TDs.

I suppose you could ask the NCAA to score games on CP and YPA or, just let them score games by TDs.
When a QB is as accurate and efficient as Coan, only a moron would start another QB

Who would you start ?

Since you don’t evaluate a QB by his stats, how do you evaluate a QB ?

Seriously this is getting old. Coan is off because the oline can't handle the slants or the extra man navy is sending.

Nothing has changed. Coan is good to great when the oline contains the dline.

The complaints about coan are really stupid.

He's both efficient and accurate. He has trouble when pressured early. The oline and coach Quinn are the issue. And have been the whole year
👍

Seriously this is getting old. Coan is off because the oline can't handle the slants or the extra man navy is sending.

Nothing has changed. Coan is good to great when the oline contains the dline.

The complaints about coan are really stupid.

He's both efficient and accurate. He has trouble when pressured early. The oline and coach Quinn are the issue. And have been the whole year
Coach led drives bs frichan navy to the toon of 3 points in the first 28 minutes. He was horrendous in the first half identifying pressure, seeing wide open wrs downfield, pushing the ball, and not checking down when he has all day vs a 3 man rush. You can’t play like garbage for 28 minutes of game play vs navy

When a QB is as accurate and efficient as Coan, only a moron would start another QB

Who would you start ?

I’d start the qb that keeps defenses on their heels. I’d start the qb that saves Nd when Coan has his typical terrible start to games vs a D with a pulse

this should be like 2012…. Maybe tommy hated his role in 2012 and doesn’t want to go that route

Who would you start ?

For comparison sake Buchner has a 100% CP over the past 3 games

Buchner needs to become a better passer. If he improves, we’ll have a good one. BK still is not comfortable letting him come out and sling it all over the field every snap like Coan. He is likely more prone to INTs and misreading routes.

Buchner needs to become a better passer. If he improves, we’ll have a good one. BK still is not comfortable letting him come out and sling it all over the field every snap like Coan. He is likely more prone to INTs and misreading routes.
Agreed, there definitely still appears to be a lack of trust there. The issue I have Is not giving him the last 10 minutes of the game to open it up a little. He needs those reps in both games and practice. The next 3 games are tune ups at best and should feature increasing amounts of Buchner playing the full package.

Barring a miracle with teams ahead of us the next big game the Irish will play is next years opener so Coan getting all of those meaningful reps does nothing for anyone.

I’d start the qb that keeps defenses on their heels. I’d start the qb that saves Nd when Coan has his typical terrible start to games vs a D with a pulse

this should be like 2012…. Maybe tommy hated his role in 2012 and doesn’t want to go that route
How do you know who that is prior to the game ?

Give us a name, not some nebulous, moronic generalization

Coan was 23 for 29 (79.3 %) with a drop or two, so how did Coan have a terrible start ?

Only a moron would offer that as evidence of his passing ability

Hos CP is 54 %
Over the last 3 it’s 100%

You are the very moron who obsesses over evaluating quarterbacks by that metric only. It’s well documented in your posting history. Care for me to cite it?

All we can assume from any goal post moving from you at this point is a total admission on your part that you are a trolling idiot.

Coach led drives bs frichan navy to the toon of 3 points in the first 28 minutes. He was horrendous in the first half identifying pressure, seeing wide open wrs downfield, pushing the ball, and not checking down when he has all day vs a 3 man rush. You can’t play like garbage for 28 minutes of game play vs navy
Coan was 13 for 17 in the first half with a drop by Lenzy, effectively 14 for 17 for a 82.4 % CP

You must have been watching a different game !

So you’re complaining and whining that he threw 3 incomplete passes. ?

Now, if he doesn’t complete every pass you’re critical

Get a life !

Reactions: francade
Agreed, there definitely still appears to be a lack of trust there. The issue I have Is not giving him the last 10 minutes of the game to open it up a little. He needs those reps in both games and practice. The next 3 games are tune ups at best and should feature increasing amounts of Buchner playing the full package.

Barring a miracle with teams ahead of us the next big game the Irish will play is next years opener so Coan getting all of those meaningful reps does nothing for anyone.
It’s not a lack of trust with TB12, it’s the fact that there is a qb more likely to lead the Irish to a win on the roster. Kelly’s job first and foremost is to win. Not to make armchair coaches happy.

The next big game is UVA. Anyone that believes otherwise has never been in the arena.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
How do you know who that is prior to the game ?

Give us a name, not some nebulous, moronic generalization

Coan was 23 for 29 (79.3 %) with a drop or two, so how did Coan have a terrible start ?
check down check down check down, finally busted coverage that he saw to austin.

There was receivers open downfield all first half yet he kept checking down, and we kept punting

Coan was 13 for 17 in the first half with a drop by Lenzy, effectively 14 for 17 for a 82.4 % CP

You must have been watching a different game !

So you’re complaining and whining that he threw 3 incomplete passes. ?

Now, if he doesn’t complete every pass you’re critical

Get a life !
and the first 6 drives vs navy he led went for 10 points, and 7 of those points on a busted 3rd down coverage to austin for 70 yd td.

Coan was horrendous

I'd rather his completion % be less and score more points. I'd hope you have a good completion percentage when you don't even try to get a 1st down and you check down

Over the last 3 it’s 100%

You are the very moron who obsesses over evaluating quarterbacks by that metric only. It’s well documented in your posting history. Care for me to cite it?

All we can assume from any goal post moving from you at this point is a total admission on your part that you are a trolling idiot.
I never stated that CP was the only metric, that’s your moronic logic.

CP COMBINED WITH YPA are the most critical factors in evaluating a QB

Only a moron would favor starting anyone other than Coan.

Evidently Kelly and staff agree with me.

But continue to advocate that Buchner should start, it just elevates your moron rating !

check down check down check down, finally busted coverage that he saw to austin.

There was receivers open downfield all first half yet he kept checking down, and we kept punting
14 for 17 with the drop, the stats are irrefutable, 82.4 % CP

Since when is a completed “check down” a bad thing ?

How do you know that they were open and in his field of vision.?

Tom Brady misses open receivers, every QB does.

You know nothing about football.

I never stated that CP was the only metric, that’s your moronic logic.

CP COMBINED WITH YPA are the most critical factors in evaluating a QB

Only a moron would favor starting anyone other than Coan.

Evidently Kelly and staff agree with me.

But continue to advocate that Buchner should start, it just elevates your moron rating !
WRONG

POINTS POINTS POINTS.

Coan is way too easy to defend

14 for 17 with the drop, the stats are irrefutable, 82.4 % CP

Since when is a completed “check down” a bad thing ?

How do you know that they were open and in his field of vision.?

Tom Brady misses open receivers, every QB does.

You know nothing about football.
when austin davis and lenzy are wide open downfield

and the first 6 drives vs navy he led went for 10 points, and 7 of those points on a busted 3rd down coverage to austin for 70 yd td.

Coan was horrendous

I'd rather his completion % be less and score more points. I'd hope you have a good completion percentage when you don't even try to get a 1st down and you check down
“Score more points” ?

Coan can only run the plays that are called*

So now you claim that Coan doesn’t TRY to get 1st Downs ?

it’s obvious that you never played QB ?

You’re just a malcontent, a moron who knows nothing about football !

WRONG

POINTS POINTS POINTS.

Coan is way too easy to defend
Then why have 8 teams failed to do so ?

Why has he been able to complete 64 % of his passes, especially early in the season when he had no protection and no running game.

you know nothing about football

“Score more points” ?

Coan can only run the plays that are called*

So now you claim that Coan doesn’t TRY to get 1st Downs ?

it’s obvious that you never played QB ?

You’re just a malcontent, a moron who knows nothing about football !
You don’t want the QB with higher CP% or who score points more frequently.

You not only are a moron but also are extremely confused.

Ask the person the state provides you to explain things to you why you can’t be that stupid in public. You will never get it yourself.

Reactions: Golson5
It’s not a lack of trust with TB12, it’s the fact that there is a qb more likely to lead the Irish to a win on the roster. Kelly’s job first and foremost is to win. Not to make armchair coaches happy.

The next big game is UVA. Anyone that believes otherwise has never been in the arena.
I’m not advocating for Buchner to start. I’m simply saying there have been opportunities to expose him to more of the offense in low risk situations which have been wasted.

Whether you want to believe it or not Buchner has played a in a lot of high risk situations already when the game is on the line which is a clear indication he is helping to fulfill Kelly’s job to win foremost. There are multiple games this year Kelly does not win without Buchner.

Whether you want to believe it or not Buchner is the future of this program and needs to be ready to run the full offense as soon as the the first snap of UVA barring injury or illness to Coan in our current pandemic environment.

It is irresponsible to risk injury or waste throw away time on Coan when Buchner needs those reps so that he can be trusted when the next situation arises that Kelly needs him to make those plays to fulfill the most important responsibility of his job as you put is which is winning.

Reactions: Golson5
I’m not advocating for Buchner to start. I’m simply saying there have been opportunities to expose him to more of the offense in low risk situations which have been wasted.

Whether you want to believe it or not Buchner has played a in a lot of high risk situations already when the game is on the line which is a clear indication he is helping to fulfill Kelly’s job to win foremost. There are multiple games this year Kelly does not win without Buchner.

Whether you want to believe it or not Buchner is the future of this program and needs to be ready to run the full offense as soon as the the first snap of UVA barring injury or illness to Coan in our current pandemic environment.

It is irresponsible to risk injury or waste throw away time on Coan when Buchner needs those reps so that he can be trusted when the next situation arises that Kelly needs him to make those plays to fulfill the most important responsibility of his job as you put is which is winning.
Exactly. Once we went up 27-6 against that Navy team, there was no reason Buchner shouldn't have finished the game. If he did something moronic, they could pull him and let Pyne finish the game. No way Navy was going to to mount a 3-TD drive in 12 minutes or whatever was left.

Of course, if we gave up a score and it ended 27-13, this board would have blown up with "Typical Kelly, couldn't blow out an outmatched opponent posts."

You don’t want the QB with higher CP% or who score points more frequently.

You not only are a moron but also are extremely confused.

Ask the person the state provides you to explain things to you why you can’t be that stupid in public. You will never get it yourself.
Coan’s CP is 10 points higher than Buchner’s

Buchner throws interceptions 12.5 % of the time. That’s 1 in every 8 attempts !

Coan throws interceptions 1.8 % of the time, about 2 in 100 attempts.

And you want to start Buchner ! Of course you do, every moron wants to start Buchner !

👍

I agree Buchner is the future and any reps he gets now will go a long way to ND winning in the future. Next year.

Kelly’s first job is to win this year. He clearly believes Coan is QB1 this year. Coan is also clearly an unfinished product (as are any of us). Getting Coan in game reps is in the teams best interest for the immediate future. The next big game is UVA. There is no guarantee this team wins out or wins whatever bowl that they play. Kelly’s first priority is those games.

Coan’s CP is 10 points higher than Buchner’s

Buchner throws interceptions 12.5 % of the time. That’s 1 in every 8 attempts !

Coan throws interceptions 1.8 % of the time, about 2 in 100 attempts.

And you want to start Buchner ! Of course you do, every moron wants to start Buchner !
Over the past 3 games Buchner is perfect. What more do you want?

Does your caretaker expect you to behave better than perfect in your living environment? Based on your classless posting history we can all assume not.

The kid has earned more reps. I do not want him to start over Coan, but with 10 minutes left and the game no longer in doubt against a service academy I absolutely expect Buchner to be in the game getting those opportunities to develop.

He has earned it and the team is going to need it sooner or later.

Over the past 3 games Buchner is perfect. What more do you want?

Does your caretaker expect you to behave better than perfect in your living environment? Based on your classless posting history we can all assume not.

The kid has earned more reps. I do not want him to start over Coan, but with 10 minutes left and the game no longer in doubt against a service academy I absolutely expect Buchner to be in the game getting those opportunities to develop.

He has earned it and the team is going to need it sooner or later.
Fair enough

To quote John McEnroe, “You can’t be serious!”
you don't think a reporter should ask kelly "Why did you not play buchner more when he came in cold then led a long drive for a td while the offense was struggling?"

Or

"How many poor starts is it going to take for you to realize coan struggles vs a D with a pulse?

Or

"Its been pretty clear against well coached defenses Coan is easy to defend, how do you expect to improve as a team with a qb so easy to defend?"

you don't think a reporter should ask kelly "Why did you not play buchner more when he came in cold then led a long drive for a td while the offense was struggling?"

Or

"How many poor starts is it going to take for you to realize coan struggles vs a D with a pulse?

Or

"Its been pretty clear against well coached defenses Coan is easy to defend, how do you expect to improve as a team with a qb so easy to defend?"
It’s pretty clear at this point that the coaches disagree with you and if I were a reporter I would see that and would not waste time asking it. Yes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT