ADVERTISEMENT

Navy @ ND **Game Thread***

Dude, you have called the whole board a moron in some form or another. Your posts are virtually 7 of the 9 pages. We all get it that you like Coan. Some of us think differently, for good reason, and you want to single-handedly stamp every opinion out by calling us names. Do you treat everyone this way or are you just taking out your frustration over your miserable life on this board?
You should only be lucky enough to enjoy the life that I’ve led, I’ve been blessed.

I’m not critical ot every opinion, just moronic opinions, which abound on this site.

It’s not that I like Coan, it’s just that he’s the best man for the job.
And those closest to the situation, those most qualified, the coaches, agree with me.

And his stats reinforce that He’s the best man for the job !

Last edited:
play before Td pass to Austin
Based on your constant criticism/s, one play is emblematic of Coan’s entire body of work ? ? ?

All you do is complain about Coan’s performance and you do so despite Coan’s impressive stats, which are the true measure of a QB’s performance !

Unless of course, you measure a QB by the Ty Webb method.

Last edited:
The play before the the TD pass to Austin was at 1:24 of the 2nd quarter, it was a 2nd and 10 play and Navy dropped 8 men in coverage, so Coan threw it to Williams circling out of the backfield for 3 yards..

There was no time out and there was NEVER a conversation between Coan and Kelly.

On the next play, at 1:00, Coan hits Austin for 70 yards.

WHY do you find the need to make things up and fabricate lies ?

Let me see if i can understand your misguided opinion.

You want to bench a player with 242 passing attempts who completed 159 of them for a 65.7 % CP and only 4 interceptions, with Buchner who ONLY has 25 attempts and 14 Completions for a 56 % CP and 3 Interceptions.

You want to replace a QB who throws interceptions 1.6 % of the time with a QB who throws interceptions 12 % of the time !

You want to replace a QB who throws less than 1 interception out of every 100 attempts with a QB who throws an interception 8 times out of every 100 attempts.

That’s one interception out of every 8 attempts !

keep your day job !

Coan is a big reason. Coming in for a relief series or two is not the same as starting. Without coan we would have had significant growing pains and LOSSES.
Except when you score on every relief series you come in

You want to bench a player with 242 passing attempts who completed 159 of them for a 65.7 % CP and only 4 interceptions, with Buchner who ONLY has 25 attempts and 14 Completions for a 56 % CP and 3 Interceptions.

You want to replace a QB who throws interceptions 1.6 % of the time with a QB who throws interceptions 12 % of the time !

You want to replace a QB who throws less than 1 interception out of every 100 attempts with a QB who throws an interception 8 times out of every 100 attempts.

keep your day job !
I thought Coan was going to be lights out before season started…. I hyped him up big time…. I admit when I am wrong, I was wrong

Coan is not a good qb, he can make accurate throws but he struggles with an offense that has multiple reads and he’s a statue

keep your day job !
They panned to Kelly screaming at Coan as Coan came over to get the play call

You should only be lucky enough to enjoy the life that I’ve led, I’ve been blessed.

I’m not critical ot every opinion, just moronic opinions, which abound on this site.

It’s not that I like Coan, it’s just that he’s the best man for the job.
And those closest to the situation, those most qualified, the coaches, agree with me.

And his stats reinforce that He’s the best man for the job !

Reactions: Golson5
And you interpret his decisions on “FEAR” and not good situational decisions ?

You’re a moron !
If it’s not fear then he makes the wrong decision 10+ times a game. And that’s ok? Keep making excuses for Coans weaknesses. In your mind he is the next Tom Brady. You’re a joke. Be real and acknowledge his weaknesses. You seem to think he has none. Every rebuttal you have is talking about the good he has done, and not what or who has given him the opportunity to do it. I think that if you could only play one guy he is probably it, but we don’t have to play just one guy. He has struggled big time moving the ball. 3 and out on back to back drives against navy is unacceptable. Buchner has gave the offense a jolt as did Pyne when they come in the game. Cincy is an example of when the defense limited Coan and he had no answer. Sad to say but if Pyne comes in earlier we probably win.

Screaming ?

Seriously ?
yes screaming to throw the ball downfield..... pretty obvious to everyone but coan, and i guess a few posters on this site

Ken N of navy after the game when discussing austins long td said they ran the same D the play before his td and left a player near the same spot wide open (i believe it was mayer), and their safety has to play it better. Exactly why kelly would scream at coan for not looking downfield

If it’s not fear then he makes the wrong decision 10+ times a game. And that’s ok? Keep making excuses for Coans weaknesses. In your mind he is the next Tom Brady. You’re a joke. Be real and acknowledge his weaknesses. You seem to think he has none. Every rebuttal you have is talking about the good he has done, and not what or who has given him the opportunity to do it. I think that if you could only play one guy he is probably it, but we don’t have to play just one guy. He has struggled big time moving the ball. 3 and out on back to back drives against navy is unacceptable. Buchner has gave the offense a jolt as did Pyne when they come in the game. Cincy is an example of when the defense limited Coan and he had no answer. Sad to say but if Pyne comes in earlier we probably win.
well stated..... His Coan's play against a D with a pulse is unacceptable to keep riding with him and not playing at least buchner significantly more, especially after he leads ND to a critical TD drive

Reactions: GDFan
Except when you score on every relief series you come in
I don't get what you don't understand. There is a huge difference between having 18 plays to run a few series and having the entire playbook for a game.

I don't get what you don't understand. There is a huge difference between having 18 plays to run a few series and having the entire playbook for a game.
Oh i get it, that's why buchner needs to be practicing more plays with the 1's. He's clearly not doing it now. I guarantee he knows more than 18 plays, he was here all spring. Now i agree he's probably been focusing on a package of plays in practice. I assume they're going with current plan to get us to hopefully 11-1, then be able to focus on more buchner over 5 week bowl prep.

Also, his limited playbook is more successful on points per possession than coan's full playbook.

I agree. And there is a huge difference from a senior and a freshman.

Reactions: mirer03
I agree. And there is a huge difference from a senior and a freshman.
Except our Sr plays like a confused frosh vs a D with a pulse (especially in first half), and doesn't have dynamic talent to make up for it.

Oh i get it, that's why buchner needs to be practicing more plays with the 1's. He's clearly not doing it now. I guarantee he knows more than 18 plays, he was here all spring. Now i agree he's probably been focusing on a package of plays in practice. I assume they're going with current plan to get us to hopefully 11-1, then be able to focus on more buchner over 5 week bowl prep.

Also, his limited playbook is more successful on points per possession than coan's full playbook.
That's not how it works. You don't lessen practice for your starter, who is 8-1 BTW, to appease fans who will always clamor for the "next guy".
Yes he did have the spring and summer and
1. That was his first football in two years
2. He didn't know the offense
3. He was so far behind it took half of spring for him to catch up to game speed

Oh and BTW you had to prep the guy who gave you the best chance to win, who
1. Had played big time football
2. Had won big games
3. Had been very accurate
4. Had to learn the playbook and the timing with new players

You seem to invent time that doesn't exist. The coaches have very limited time in the spring and summer, most of that time is actually strength and conditioning time. The coaches have to pick the best road and commit to it.

The best example of doing what you are talking about ..is 2007... Charlie half ass committed to Demetrius Jones and gave time to him, Evan sharpley, and Jimmy Clausen. It was an absolute shit show. It was obvious Jimmy had the most talent but he wasn't ready. Weis let fan pressure get to that vaunted ego vs committing in the summer to be successful THAT YEAR. He essentially tanked a year of college student eligibility to prep for the next year. It honestly one of the biggest disasters in college coaching I can think of.

Reactions: graceh90
That's not how it works. You don't lessen practice for your starter, who is 8-1 BTW, to appease fans who will always clamor for the "next guy".
3. He was so far behind it took half of spring for him to catch up to game speed

2. Had won big games

You seem to invent time that doesn't exist. The coaches have very limited time in the spring and summer, most of that time is actually strength and conditioning time. The coaches have to pick the best road and commit to it.

The best example of doing what you are talking about ..is 2007... Charlie half ass committed to Demetrius Jones and gave time to him, Evan sharpley, and Jimmy Clausen. It was an absolute shit show. It was obvious Jimmy had the most talent but he wasn't ready. Weis let fan pressure get to that vaunted ego vs committing in the summer to be successful THAT YEAR. He essentially tanked a year of college student eligibility to prep for the next year. It honestly one of the biggest disasters in college coaching I can think of.
8-1 is not good enough. Should be 9-0 so far this season. It's been disappointing.

2. Had won big games

No. The best example of what people are calling for is 2012.

You use the young guy (Golson,Buchner) and you have the veteran ready when needed (Rees, Coan)

It worked very well in 2012.

If they dont want to go to Buchner starting, just keep doing what they are doing but add a couple series to his plate each game.

I mean no one could argue that the 4th quarter was a golden opportunity against Navy to give him reps and experience. But Kelly didnt do it

It hurt the OL this year not getting young guys ready to go. All the elite teams build leads and let the young guys play.

No. The best example of what people are calling for is 2012.

You use the young guy (Golson,Buchner) and you have the veteran ready when needed (Rees, Coan)

It worked very well in 2012.

If they dont want to go to Buchner starting, just keep doing what they are doing but add a couple series to his plate each game.

I mean no one could argue that the 4th quarter was a golden opportunity against Navy to give him reps and experience. But Kelly didnt do it

It hurt the OL this year not getting young guys ready to go. All the elite teams build leads and let the young guys play.
You just proved my point because golson redshirted 2011 and didn't play a snap, he split in 2012 ...his second year in the program and he didn't sniff the field year 1.

You just proved my point because golson redshirted 2011 and didn't play a snap, he split in 2012 ...his second year in the program and he didn't sniff the field year 1.
Buchner was a better prospect and his mental game is light years ahead of Golson on and off.

I thought Coan was going to be lights out before season started…. I hyped him up big time…. I admit when I am wrong, I was wrong

Coan is not a good qb, he can make accurate throws but he struggles with an offense that has multiple reads and he’s a statue
How can you say he struggles when his stats clearly indicate otherwise?

But, you didn’t answer my question.

Please answer it.

thanks

Except our Sr plays like a confused frosh vs a D with a pulse (especially in first half), and doesn't have dynamic talent to make up for it.
AND YOU WANT TO REPLACE HIM WITH A QB WHO THROWS AN INTERCEPTION ON EVERY EIGTH PLAY ? ? ?

yes screaming to throw the ball downfield..... pretty obvious to everyone but coan, and i guess a few posters on this site

Ken N of navy after the game when discussing austins long td said they ran the same D the play before his td and left a player near the same spot wide open (i believe it was mayer), and their safety has to play it better. Exactly why kelly would scream at coan for not looking downfield
That’s NOT TRUE

Kelly NEVER said a word to Coan after the prior play to Williams.

AND YOU WANT TO REPLACE HIM WITH A QB WHO THROWS AN INTERCEPTION ON EVERY EIGTH PLAY ? ? ?
I don’t think anyone is saying play only TB, we would just like to see more TB if Coan is struggling to move the ball like he had in multiple games against inferior teams.

Buchner throws an interception on every eigth attempt, that’s a statistical fact.

At every level in football turnovers are the most critical factor.
You can’t play a QB who throws an INT on every 8th attempt.
You’ll never win a single game with that stat.

Coan, like Brady is a pocket passer, not a runner, so why is everyone demanding that he runs ?

ND’s OLine underperformed against Cincinnati
We only gained 84 yards in 28 attempts running the ball

Here are the passing stats

Coan was 14 for 22 with 2 drops, effectively 16 for 22, effectively 73 %
Pyne was 9 for 22
Buchner was 0 for 2

Coan is an experience, seasoned veteran who performs well under pressure.

Buchner and Pyne are inexperienced.

ND’s OLine has been the problem, not Coan

I don’t think anyone is saying play only TB, we would just like to see more TB if Coan is struggling to move the ball like he had in multiple games against inferior teams.
That’s ONLY a reasonable alternative if it’s Coan who’s struggling and NOT the OLINE

And it’s been the OLINE, NOT Coan in past games

That’s ONLY a reasonable alternative if it’s Coan who’s struggling and NOT the OLINE

And it’s been the OLINE, NOT Coan in past games
Coach Kelly and Rees don't think so. They replace Coan with Buchner and continue to do so every time he starts stinking up the joint.

Those closest to the situation, those qualified, the coaches agree with us and continue to bench him for Buchner.

Inevetibly they are going to turn the reigns over to him permanently. Not sure what you will do then?

Keep you day job!

Coach Kelly and Rees don't think so. They replace Coan with Buchner and continue to do so every time he starts stinking up the joint.

Those closest to the situation, those qualified, the coaches agree with us and continue to bench him for Buchner.

Inevetibly they are going to turn the reigns over to him permanently. Not sure what you will do then?

Keep you day job!
And that replacement protocol has failed miserably on-a number of occassions.

Why did you fail to mention that ?

How did bringing in Buchner work against VT ?

it almost cost us the game and we can’t afford a second loss !

Did Kelly and Rees make the right decision then ?

Last edited:
And that replacement protocol has failed miserably on-a number of occassions.

Why did you fail to mention that ?
Cite the statistical successes rate of how drives have ended while they employ that replacement protocol

Then cross reference that with the success rate of the five previous drives Coan had prior to being benched

Let’s see what your made of?

Keep you day job!
What the coaches are doing is working. We are 8-1. I don’t blame Coan on the bad drives as much as I blame the OL. The OL is one of the worst in America for a reason and it’s not because of Jack Coan or Kyren Williams I can tell you that. When they give Jack time, he makes good throws that only he can make. TB is a great mix. He should always be in tha game in the red zone IMO. I don’t know why it took the coaches so long to figure that out. However, I think every time they brought him in it has helped. I also think Jack gets jealous sitting on the sideline watching TB move the ball. Competition makes him get back out there and get it done. Competition is a good thing for football, business, rugged individualism, and the world, despite what Savy and other sissy’s would tell you.

Reactions: TheSodFather
What the coaches are doing is working. We are 8-1. I don’t blame Coan on the bad drives as much as I blame the OL. The OL is one of the worst in America for a reason and it’s not because of Jack Coan or Kyren Williams I can tell you that. When they give Jack time, he makes good throws that only he can make. TB is a great mix. He should always be in tha game in the red zone IMO. I don’t know why it took the coaches so long to figure that out. However, I think every time they brought him in it has helped. I also think Jack gets jealous sitting on the sideline watching TB move the ball. Competition makes him get back out there and get it done. Competition is a good thing for football, business, rugged individualism, and the world, despite what Savy and other sissy’s would tell you.
I think the Oline has improved significantly since the beginning of the season. Some of that is scheme but they are beginning to win some power situations in the running game as well which we didn’t see at all during the first quarter of the season.

I also think Rees has done a terrific job shaping the scheme around his talent after the bye. Coan has look significantly better since the offense began to be called to his strengths.

My concern with Coan is he does not appear comfortable against drop 8. He tends to not take the extra time a 3 man rush affords him and look to drive the ball and often checks down too soon. Even Navy was managing him that way in aspects of the past game. Things opened up when he opened up his game.

He was encouraged to drive the ball downfield which he started to do. He is going to need to take more shots downfield to keep defenses honest particularly as they get more talented down the road.

It would be nice to see more of what Buchner can do. There were moments in the past game when it was no longer in doubt where the kid could have gotten expanded reps in aspects of the offense he doesn’t run normally. Either way Buchner is getting reps during critical moments of games which should have him ready to play in big games next season.

Based on how Buchners reps have gone the past few weeks he should start getting an expanded playbook, which according to Kelly’s press time today his in line for the rest of the way.

2. Had won big games

Ummm did you see Kelly presser today? They are doing exactly what I said. Spending more time with Buchner and the 1s moving forward to expand his playbook.

Golson was scout team in 2011 and didn’t even work with Kelly and coaching staff…. 2012 was just first year mentally like Buchner this year

Golson was scout team in 2011 and didn’t even work with Kelly and coaching staff…. 2012 was just first year mentally like Buchner this year
No it's not. Again you are discounting the fact that Buchner didn't play for two years and the level of competition in HS was very very weak. Golson had two state titles in a top league in SC, then red shirted an entire year getting physically and mentally adjusted to the college game AND he still needed to split time as. Are short sophomore!

What's Kelly supposed to say? There are still only so many snaps to give to a backup in practice. This isn't a situation where you just switch mid season. There was a single chance for that and it was over the bye week...AND THEY CHOSE NOT TO. The only possible switch point now is the bowl game where if Kelly wanted he and Rees could gameplay around the rpo and triple option with Buchner. This is very unlikely, but if anyone understands how coaching works, that is the only likely chance to see a significant uptick for Buchner barring a massive blowout.

They tried it against VA tech. It was obvious as soon as he ran out of his "scripted" package plays he was uncomfortable and he was unable to adjust to the changes after half time.

I'm a huge Buchner fan, but he's not the best chance to win the rest of THIS YEAR, coan is and the coaches would be doing. A disservice to the seniors and departing player to scuttle the rest of the year to train an entirely different offensive plan.

Cite the statistical successes rate of how drives have ended while they employ that replacement protocol

Then cross reference that with the success rate of the five previous drives Coan had prior to being benched

Let’s see what your made of?

Easy,

Buchner throws a Pick six

Buchner throws an INT that leads to a TD

Next

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT