ADVERTISEMENT

My Dads first home game

THUNDERSTRUCK111

Posts Like A Champion
Feb 21, 2012
Hey guys.
Just looking for some info
I been to 3 ND home games and a bunch on the road.
I wanted to take my Die hard ND fan and US Marine drill instructor father to his first home game at ND stadium he’s 68 yrs old

I want to go the sept 21 game
Vs Miami. Of Ohio.
We plan on arriving Friday. Should I get tickets scalping or buy for top dollar on stub hub ?

Hey guys.
I wanted to take my Die hard ND fan and US Marine drill instructor father to his first home game at ND stadium he’s 68 yrs old

Vs Miami. Of Ohio.
We plan on arriving Friday. Should I get tickets scalping or buy for top dollar on stub hub ?
Pay top dollar and sit as close to the 50 as possible. Keeps you away from the trash. Unless you like dealing with losers vaping, drunk, puking, or looking for fights.

Miami of Ohio - tickets will be plentiful - and the crowd is not an issue. Since you have been there you probably know the drill but you can check for the game day activities - have a great time!!

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Hey guys.

Vs Miami. Of Ohio.
Make sure you do it right. 1- suggest getting in on Thursday. Less crowded. You can walk campus
2- absolutely take your Dad to Friday midnight drummers circle. I will assume you know all the things to do so I won’t list them all.
I took my Dad a few years before he died and he loved drummers circle.

Here is my two cents:

As for whether to buy tickets on StubHub or wait to buy them on game day from a scalper, I would go with the former. While tickets for the Miami (OH) game are likely to be easy to find on game day, this sounds like one of those bucket list trips for your pops and you probably don't want to mess around with looking for tickets on game day so that you have time to take in all the other experiences. Take in the sights and sounds and don't worry about having to find tickets. While it will probably cost you a little more, some day when you are looking back on the weekend you wont' regret having spent a few extra bucks to share a day with your father that you and he will never forget.

I would strongly suggest getting to South Bend on Thursday so that you have all day Friday to look around the campus at the various places your father might want to see: the Golden Dome (admin building); the Basilica of the Sacred Heart; and the Grotto. There are likely many others. If you arrive on Friday you will probably feel rushed trying to take it all in. The football game is almost certainly going to be an afternoon game, so there will be limited time available on Saturday for touring campus. Getting there on Thursday also gives you time to make the Bookstore visit on Friday. (I assume your pops may want to pick up a souvenir or two and maybe some ND swag.) If you wait until Saturday to do the Bookstore trip the place will be crowded and the lines long.

The university always puts out a schedule of activities for the weekend. Check the university website (https://fightingirish.com/fbgameday-traditionsandevents/) a few weeks before the game. The drummer's circle is always popular, as is Trumpets Under the Dome. You may want to roam the parking lots on Saturday for a bit to check out the tailgating. That is a fun part of football weekends. You will likely find a USMC flag flying somewhere, and your pops can make connections with a fellow jarhead. Once a jarhead, always a jarhead. The brotherhood runs deep.

You will have a great time. Good luck.

Pay top dollar and sit as close to the 50 as possible. Keeps you away from the trash. Unless you like dealing with losers vaping, drunk, puking, or looking for fights.

What? Is this a serious take? Have you ever been to a game at ND? While that kind of stuff has unfortunately become de rigueur at many NFL games, it is definitely not something you will experience at ND Stadium. There is a no smoking policy that is strictly enforced, so you won't see any vapers. You may find a few people get liquored up, but you are highly unlikely to see any fights in the stands. For the most part ND fans are unfailingly polite. Too polite, some would say.

Here is my two cents:

As for whether to buy tickets on StubHub or wait to buy them on game day from a scalper, I would go with the former. While tickets for the Miami (OH) game are likely to be easy to find on game day, this sounds like one of those bucket list trips for your pops and you probably don't want to mess around with looking for tickets on game day so that you have time to take in all the other experiences. Take in the sights and sounds and don't worry about having to find tickets. While it will probably cost you a little more, some day when you are looking back on the weekend you wont' regret having spent a few extra bucks to share a day with your father that you and he will never forget.

I would strongly suggest getting to South Bend on Thursday so that you have all day Friday to look around the campus at the various places your father might want to see: the Golden Dome (admin building); the Basilica of the Sacred Heart; and the Grotto. There are likely many others. If you arrive on Friday you will probably feel rushed trying to take it all in. The football game is almost certainly going to be an afternoon game, so there will be limited time available on Saturday for touring campus. Getting there on Thursday also gives you time to make the Bookstore visit on Friday. (I assume your pops may want to pick up a souvenir or two and maybe some ND swag.) If you wait until Saturday to do the Bookstore trip the place will be crowded and the lines long.

The university always puts out a schedule of activities for the weekend. Check the university website (https://fightingirish.com/fbgameday-traditionsandevents/) a few weeks before the game. The drummer's circle is always popular, as is Trumpets Under the Dome. You may want to roam the parking lots on Saturday for a bit to check out the tailgating. That is a fun part of football weekends. You will likely find a USMC flag flying somewhere, and your pops can make connections with a fellow jarhead. Once a jarhead, always a jarhead. The brotherhood runs deep.

You will have a great time. Good luck.
Really appreciate the advice.
I agree with you 100 percent.
After the airfare , hotel, car rental, cheaping out on the ticket part seems silly . And the piece of mind to go with knowing your getting into the game makes it a no brainer in my opinion.
Again thank you all for the advice.

What “trash” attend Notre Dame home games ?

You made the statement now define and defend it !

You’ve been challenged !

Really appreciate the advice.
I agree with you 100 percent.
After the airfare , hotel, car rental, cheaping out on the ticket part seems silly . And the piece of mind to go with knowing your getting into the game makes it a no brainer in my opinion.
Again thank you all for the advice.
You won't regret going all in. Sometimes the chance to make memories, especially memories with your pops, is worth the coin. Come back here after the game and let us know how your father enjoyed the experience.

What? Is this a serious take? Have you ever been to a game at ND? While that kind of stuff has unfortunately become de rigueur at many NFL games, it is definitely not something you will experience at ND Stadium. There is a no smoking policy that is strictly enforced, so you won't see any vapers. You may find a few people get liquored up, but you are highly unlikely to see any fights in the stands. For the most part ND fans are unfailingly polite. Too polite, some would say.
More games than I can count. Probably close to 50. Maybe that’s why I’ve had issues. While not the norm, it’s rougher in the end zone.

A Scumbag like you calling me trash, now that is funny !

I do more charitable work in a month than you do in a year !
How many charity/foundation boards do you sit on ?
How much do you donate to charity each year ?

A Scumbag like you calling me trash, now that is funny !

I do more charitable work in a month than you do in a year !
How many charity/foundation boards do you sit on ?
How much do you donate to charity each year ?
You’re taking this awfully personal.

Been to 20 plus games and have never had tickets until game day. There will be plenty for this game available and they will just keep getting cheaper or better for the same price the closer to kickoff.

More games than I can count. Probably close to 50. Maybe that’s why I’ve had issues. While not the norm, it’s rougher in the end zone.
I find this very hard to believe. Including my time as a student at ND, I have attended close to 100 home games. As a student, we sat in the student section located in the northwest corner of the stadium, and in games that I later attended I sat many times in both end zones, though it has been a few years since I last did so. During all those games, not ONCE did I observe what you have described. Guys that were drunk? Yes. Maybe one or two of them puked? Perhaps. But I never once saw a fight and never saw any overly belligerent conduct of the kind you describe and that you routinely see at NFL games these days. The ushers would have been quick to deal with it.

Last edited:
I find this very hard to believe. Including my time as a student, I have attended close to 100 home games. As a student, we sat in student section located in the northwest corner of the stadim, and in games that I later attended I sat many times in both end zones, though it has been a few years since I last did no. During all those games, not ONCE did I observe what you have described. Guys that were drunk? Yes. Maybe one or two of them puked? Perhaps. But I never once saw a fight and never saw any overly belligerent conduct of the kind you describe and that you routinely see at NFL games these days. The ushers would have been quick to deal with it.
I agree.

As a student and as a graduate I have attended many games and like you, after graduation I sat in various locations throughout the stadium and not once did I ever witness a fight and I never witnessed a “falling down drunk”

I’ve sat amongst the visiting teams’ fan, including Tennessee, Florida State, USC and others, and on every occasion the visiting fans commented on how welcoming Notre Dame fans were, and how civil the environment was.

So I ask Tillery Jerry, was he a student at Notre Dame?
And
At what games did he attend where they were fights and disruptive drunks ?

I’ve never seen a fight in ND Stadium, and I went to every home game for 5 years. Lord knows if there’s a fight during a day game against Miami of Ohio, we’re in for a rough year.

I find this very hard to believe. Including my time as a student at ND, I have attended close to 100 home games. As a student, we sat in the student section located in the northwest corner of the stadium, and in games that I later attended I sat many times in both end zones, though it has been a few years since I last did so. During all those games, not ONCE did I observe what you have described. Guys that were drunk? Yes. Maybe one or two of them puked? Perhaps. But I never once saw a fight and never saw any overly belligerent conduct of the kind you describe and that you routinely see at NFL games these days. The ushers would have been quick to deal with it.
I stood in the student section as well for 3 years. Students don’t fight at ND.

I have not seen a fist fight per se, but plenty of drunk idiots talking trash, spitting in your face while talking, farting (yes, extreme grotesque farting), falling over on people, cussing incessantly in front of kids, spilling food and pop on people, vaping, needing to be carried out, drinking from flasks or beers they sneak in, and talking inappropriately to moms in front of their kids. Not the best atmosphere in the cheap seats. Probably a good spot for Pat and Golson though. Fork over more cash for a one time in a life game. That is my two cents. The surrounding area of the bend isn’t exactly Malibu.

I have never witnessed any of the above on the 50 yard line. Call it a bizarre coincidence.

Last edited:
Been to 20 plus games and have never had tickets until game day. There will be plenty for this game available and they will just keep getting cheaper or better for the same price the closer to kickoff.
Appreciate the advice red. I went in stub hub to find tickets for Miami for Ohio. It said game is running out of tickets. Only certain seats left. I’ll see if I can other options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT