ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

i agree other than the RB position is not getting hit every play but their collisions they are taking 20-30 times a game are the most violent with the linebackers being close 2nd.

You hit on my point, if he wasn't able to run like himself then he shouldn't have been in at all because he was not helping the team in those games.
nah us big uglies get pounded on EVERY play.

Reactions: tbonesays
This is about as sad of a post as I’ve ever seen.

First bragging about being old and unable to learn, and now this.

Senility is truly a sad, sad disease.

You have my condolences.
I've checked this board 365 days a year for roughly the past 10 years.....and Toby is one of the 3 or 4 best posters I've seen. Always sensible and reasonable. Plenty of uninformed bozos here.......You're picking a fight with the wrong dude.

I've checked this board 365 days a year for roughly the past 10 years.....and Toby is one of the 3 or 4 best posters I've seen. Always sensible and reasonable. Plenty of uninformed bozos here.......You're picking a fight with the wrong dude.

He’s the one who came here and claimed that he couldn’t learn anymore, and actually bragged about that (and being older than dirt)

I simply responded to his own brags.

If he now feels differently after being laughed at for such a foolish brag, he’s free to walk his comments back.

From my friends experience and what I saw the LB and RB took the biggest consistent shots. Linemen always had to worry about getting rolled up on and then mangled hands. Obviously you played the position and know better than me, but i'm just speaking on what i saw and my friends. I played a different D1 sport, but always did 7-7 drills with the football team, and they tried to get me to play. You can probably play any position tough or soft, it's an attitude.

Reactions: echowaker
From my friends experience and what I saw the LB and RB took the biggest consistent shots. Linemen always had to worry about getting rolled up on and then mangled hands. Obviously you played the position and know better than me, but i'm just speaking on what i saw and my friends. I played a different D1 sport, but always did 7-7 drills with the football team, and they tried to get me to play. You can probably play any position tough or soft, it's an attitude.
Yeah my hands are a mess . my big toes are disgusting, stomped on way too many times. was always losing the nail. shoulders shot too. good times !

He’s the one who came here and claimed that he couldn’t learn anymore, and actually bragged about that (and being older than dirt)

I simply responded to his own brags.

If he now feels differently after being laughed at for such a foolish brag, he’s free to walk his comments back.
Ok Doofy, give my exact quote where I said I couldn't learn anymore and that I was older than dirt. Exact words. No paraphrasing. are you in Junior High? Are you still in high school? Have you ever been to an Irish football game? Have you ever been on campus at any time? Do your parents still support you? Have you ever attended an Irish practice? Are you in Culver now? Have you talked to players and/or staff about The upcoming season? All the "info" you post on this board, does this come from being an insider or a wannabe who repeats what the real insiders have reported? Simple but fair questions. Now get busy supplying those exact quotes sonny boy.

Ok Doofy, give my exact quote where I said I couldn't learn anymore and that I was older than dirt. Exact words. No paraphrasing. are you in Junior High? Are you still in high school? Have you ever been to an Irish football game? Have you ever been on campus at any time? Do your parents still support you? Have you ever attended an Irish practice? Are you in Culver now? Have you talked to players and/or staff about The upcoming season? All the "info" you post on this board, does this come from being an insider or a wannabe who repeats what the real insiders have reported? Simple but fair questions. Now get busy supplying those exact quotes sonny boy.

Yeah..... the senility is getting worse with every post.

I graduated from ND several years ago. So I’ve set foot on campus a few times, attended a few games, and even finished up high school.

I have several “sources” of info, ranging from site mods (paid) to current students (young siblings of my friends) who film the practices/games and manage the team.

The “info” I post comes from still being able to learn, instead of being closed-minded and older than dirt.

As for your quotes:

Unable to learn (and bragging about it)
I had one poster try to lecture me within an inch of my life on a topic yesterday and I was laughing the whole time because it didn't move my opinion one fraction. I'm good like that.

Older than dirt:
I use to live and die with this stuff when I was younger just like you Irish fans are. I understand. But as I got older, it takes a little more to persuade me.

Reactions: sluggo69
Yeah..... the senility is getting worse with every post.

I graduated from ND several years ago. So I’ve set foot on campus a few times, attended a few games, and even finished up high school.

I have several “sources” of info, ranging from site mods (paid) to current students (young siblings of my friends) who film the practices/games and manage the team.

The “info” I post comes from still being able to learn, instead of being closed-minded and older than dirt.

As for your quotes:

Unable to learn (and bragging about it)

Older than dirt:
You realize the second quote demonstrates an ability to learn. The second quote states he used to be more swayed by the newest information and that now, with age/experience/maturity, he is less swayed and has a higher standard for what it takes to sway him. The second quote being an example of inability to learn assumes that the person trying to sway him had a good argument and/or was right. But please, continue being a dick.

Come on Doof, exact quotes. No paraphrasing. You claim I made those comments, now come up with the exact quotes. ND grad? I need you to divide all your back story lies in half and come back with the real story. Somewhere in there is the truth. Now, get working on those quotes or you are going to lose all your credibility around here. .

You realize the second quote demonstrates an ability to learn. The second quote states he used to be more swayed by the newest information and that now, with age/experience/maturity, he is less swayed and has a higher standard for what it takes to sway him. The second quote being an example of inability to learn assumes that the person trying to sway him had a good argument and/or was right. But please, continue being a dick.

The second quote is him bragging about having a discussion and not altering his opinion on something at all.

Given how poor the rest of his posts ITT have been, I have fairly characterized that as an inability to learn.

Like I said, he made the comments so he’s free to walk them back at any time he chooses.

Come on Doof, exact quotes. No paraphrasing. You claim I made those comments, now come up with the exact quotes. ND grad? I need you to divide all your back story lies in half and come back with the real story. Somewhere in there is the truth. Now, get working on those quotes or you are going to lose all your credibility around here. .

Not very bright, are you?

What I posted above are exact quotes from the initial post that I responded to, from you.

Your inability to learn strikes again (or is it your senility)

Also, lol at the rest of your post....are you ever going to get anything right?
(I graduated from ND in 2013)

Playing linebacker in a 3-4 when guards have free shots at you as well as fullbacks absolutely sucks.

Reactions: FriedmanIP
Playing linebacker in a 3-4 when guards have free shots at you as well as fullbacks absolutely sucks.

The bearing an LB takes depends sooo much on the scheme he’s in and the quality of his DL.

Michigan’s S/LB hybrid (Hudson) doesn’t take much of a beating, but Wisconsin’s LB’s are in an absolute war.

Not very bright, are you?

What I posted above are exact quotes from the initial post that I responded to, from you.

Your inability to learn strikes again (or is it your senility)

Also, lol at the rest of your post....are you ever going to get anything right?
(I graduated from ND in 2013)
Doofy my man, those quotes aren't even close to what you claim I said. Stop acting like an immature spoiled bully because a poster is actually standing up to your childishness. I'm feeling like I really can't trust or believe you anymore Doof. We've grown apart. I'll leave you with your thoughts as I remind IrishMike that the RB position is a question that will be answered as the season progresses. A couple of guys with game experience. A couple who is in transition. Add pure rookies to the mix with BW at QB. Let's see what happens.

Doofy my man, those quotes aren't even close to what you claim I said. Stop acting like an immature spoiled bully because a poster is actually standing up to your childishness. I'm feeling like I really can't trust or believe you anymore Doof. We've grown apart. I'll leave you with your thoughts as I remind IrishMike that the RB position is a question that will be answered as the season progresses. A couple of guys with game experience. A couple who is in transition. Add pure rookies to the mix with BW at QB. Let's see what happens.
Ahh, senility. It's destroyed many "men" like you.

Those were literally exact quotes of what you said, using the quote function. Character for character excerpts from your post.

Are you ever going to stop being wrong about everything that you say.

It's truly sad when the old have to be put out to pasture......but still, it has to be done.

Are you kidding??

Big uglies never get pounded. DT’s get pounded. But if a C or OG is getting pounded, get him off the field immediately.

He who moves first, does the pounding.

Are you kidding??

Big uglies never get pounded. DT’s get pounded. But if a C or OG is getting pounded, get him off the field immediately.

He who moves first, does the pounding.
uh, no. collisions are collisions. they take a toll. not mention all the other things that go on in close quarters, groin punching, eye gouging, pinching layers of a fat that are readily available, the occasional spitting etc.

I know you played oline. As did I. Also coached it.

My mantra was, you move first, you do the hitting.

And the collisions at a step are far different from the collisions lb’s safeties and Rb’s face.

Jmo, not going to get worked up about it.

I know you played oline. As did I. Also coached it.

My mantra was, you move first, you do the hitting.

And the collisions at a step are far different from the collisions lb’s safeties and Rb’s face.

Jmo, not going to get worked up about it.
me neither. just saying there is contact every single play.

Reactions: uteck42
Our D should really control the Michigan game right? The UM O just doesn't scare me.....Inexperienced OL, so go along with underwhelming position players should mean they have a hard time scoring.

Our OL vs their front 7.....is that a push?

Our D should really control the Michigan game right? The UM O just doesn't scare me.....Inexperienced OL, so go along with underwhelming position players should mean they have a hard time scoring.

During Week 1, I would give their Front 7 against our OL (+ TE & RB) as an advantage to their Front 7....but not an overly large advantage.

We'll both have 2 new faces in those groups, but our RB position is probably the least talented of the bunch and it typically takes longer for an OL to gel than a DL.

On the other hand, I LOVE the matchup of our Front 7 against their OL (+RB & TE). Michigan struggled to block anyone last season.......they were among the worst in the nation for TFL and Sacks allowed.

Michigan only faced 1 DL with ND's talent in 2017 (Ohio State).

Furthermore, while Michigan will have several new starters and moving pieces on it's OL, in its scheme, in its playcalling, and with its protection call....ND will be very veteran up front defensively.

That's a clear edge to ND, imo.

They have some talent at WR spot and who knows what we'll see at QB. IF ND's front 7 improves a bit like it should, they should dominate the line. I expect UM to make some plays against some young players on our O-line but our line should be able to withstand UM's front 7.

To me, it's all about Wimbush this game. I think UM will try to make him win the game with his arm and try to take away his legs. Um has the ability to take away the run if that's their choice. If he's improved he should get a ton of great matchups with our Two tall WRs and TE's down the field. On the other hand, i would expect ND's defense to not need to do anything special against UM to try and stop them. By that I mean, not overplay the run or pass.

It does seem thin and inexperienced for the most part at the RB position but I have a feeling the newbies surprise. Armstrong, Davis and maybe even true frosh, Smith. Having to go against Michigan’s front in the opener sucks but I think we break some long runs that night. Jones will be steady, IMO.

MVPs for 08.06.18 were posted a few hours ago: Offense was Alize Mack, defense was Alohi Gilman, and ST was Nick Coleman.
Coleman is good and scary to see there. Hopefully he has bought in to playing special teams and we hopefully won't see him in our regular D. He was awful on special teams in the past.

MVPs for 08.06.18 were posted a few hours ago: Offense was Alize Mack, defense was Alohi Gilman, and ST was Nick Coleman.
Glad Mack had a good practice. I still have no confidence in this guy- he's shown nothing in 3 years. Can't wait to see Wright and Kmet hopefully take the next steps.

Glad Mack had a good practice. I still have no confidence in this guy- he's shown nothing in 3 years. Can't wait to see Wright and Kmet hopefully take the next steps.

He’s show A LOT more than Kmet or Wright have.

He’s the leader at the TE positron for a reason.
And by all reports, it’s not close.

He's shown ability, but last year I felt like he was playing with 80-90% effort. That made him come up short just a few times. It also hurt him how wimbush couldn't hit him when he was 5 yards away.

If he can play with 100% effort and focus I think he can be a difference maker. He was so close to making amazing plays this year, i'm hoping he makes them this year.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
He’s show A LOT more than Kmet or Wright have.

He’s the leader at the TE positron for a reason.
And by all reports, it’s not close.
Just like my thoughts on Dex- I hope Alize has a monster year. That being said, I've been hopeful for 3 seasons now, and all he's done is let us down. It's hard for me to get excited about Alize.

Just like my thoughts on Dex- I hope Alize has a monster year. That being said, I've been hopeful for 3 seasons now, and all he's done is let us down. It's hard for me to get excited about Alize.

He’s only been eligible for 2 seasons, and I don’t see how youre calling his Frosh season a disappointment. It was very promising.

Basically, only 2017 was disappointing on the field, and a large part of that was on Wimbush (though most of it was on himself).

You seem to have massively overreacted to 1 disappointing season from a lass catcher, when the offense was run oriented and the new QB often struggled to pass effectively.

Not to mention that the players you pointed to, Kmet and Wright, both did far less in their Frosh year than Mack did.
(And far less than him in 2017, for a more direct comparison)

He’s only been eligible for 2 seasons, and I don’t see how youre calling his Frosh season a disappointment. It was very promising.

Basically, only 2017 was disappointing on the field, and a large part of that was on Wimbush (though most of it was on himself).

You seem to have massively overreacted to 1 disappointing season from a lass catcher, when the offense was run oriented and the new QB often struggled to pass effectively.

Not to mention that the players you pointed to, Kmet and Wright, both did far less in their Frosh year than Mack did.
(And far less than him in 2017, for a more direct comparison)
I hope you're right. Can Mack truly become the elite, constant mis-match, pass catching TE we hoped for when he signed?

Reactions: Pennick4
I hope you're right. Can Mack truly become the elite, constant mis-match, pass catching TE we hoped for when he signed?

What I’ve said so far isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact, so of course I’m right.
  • - Mack had a good Frosh season
  • - Mack has only been eligible for 2 seasons
  • - Mack had a better Frosh season than either Kmet or Wright
  • - Mack had a better 2017 season than either Kmet or Wright
  • - Mack has only had 1 season that was disappointing (on the field)
  • - Part of that season was due to inconsistent QB play
Which one of those would you even try to debate?

As for whether he’ll become the elite pass catching TE that we all want him to become, now that is an opinion and one we could discuss.

But so far, there is absolutely nothing that has suggested that Kmet and Wright are better than Mack or that Mack has repeatedly disappointed on the field.

He looked really good back when Kizer was throwing to him. But he hasn't seemed to do as well with Wimbush at QB.

I thought the purpose of this message board was to share thoughts, information, and opinions? We don't have to get bent out of shape because our ideas and opinions differ. There aren't any right or wrong answers here - unless it's misinformation. No debate points here fans so relax and have fun!

I thought the purpose of this message board was to share thoughts, information, and opinions? We don't have to get bent out of shape because our ideas and opinions differ. There aren't any right or wrong answers here - unless it's misinformation. No debate points here fans so relax and have fun!

Stating that Mack has disappointed (on the field) more than 1x would qualify as disinformation, imo. It's just untrue.

If that's the discussion you're referring to.

He looked really good back when Kizer was throwing to him. But he hasn't seemed to do as well with Wimbush at QB.
Question. How is Mack used? Does he line up on the end or is he split out and more a big receiver? If there are bigger TE's on the roster and Mack can't block, they may eat into his rep's. PSU did not mind playing a TE that could not block. Just curious.

Question. How is Mack used? Does he line up on the end or is he split out and more a big receiver? If there are bigger TE's on the roster and Mack can't block, they may eat into his rep's. PSU did not mind playing a TE that could not block. Just curious.

He was an excellent blocker last year. When ND played NC State & BC (teams with top level DE’s) he did a great job setting the edge.
He also ran around open a lot, Wimbush just didn’t target him.

Reactions: mbd11

He's used all over the formation.

His most natural and most elite skillset is definitely as a pass-catcher, and we can split him out as a "big WR", typically into the boundary or in the slot.

But in 2017 blocking was really where he performed the best, and he was better at it than some of the younger but highly recruited "traditional TEs" on the roster. As such, he is also attached to the line quite a bit and used in a traditional TE role.

When he's focused, he can do either one at a very high level, though only his receiving skills are truly elite.

He was an excellent blocker last year. When ND played NC State & BC (teams with top level DE’s) he did a great job setting the edge.
He also ran around open a lot, Wimbush just didn’t target him.

I recall a couple of times that he went head-to-head with Bradley Chubb, primarily in the run game.

And as good as Michigan's DE's are in 2018, Bradley Chubb was better.

This OL and these TE's have already seen numerous ELITE lineman and linebackers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT