ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

Yeah, I didn’t think you would be able to respond.
I know the conversation is way beyond your pay grade.

It’s okay to admit how stupid your post wasn’t.

“A key”? Sure. He was one of the factors, but he was far from the most important. He plays RB, so his impact is limited. Far less important that the QB(s), the OL, the DL, etc.

I’ve never said Warow has the highest ceiling in the roster, just one of them. He and Ade have great ceilings, among the young DEs. No point in comparing to the older guys, because he’ll never okay with them.
Wardlow is a great athlete and a good development recruit (as was Ade)

Mack sux. Huge disappointment.
He can block? That’s like table stakes. Got to be able to block as a TE. The guy can’t catch a cold
Smythe. Wisher. Kmet. Wright. Equipment girl.
All are better

He can block? That’s like table stakes. Got to be able to block as a TE. The guy can’t catch a cold
All are better

Interesting.

Mack had nearly as many receptions last year as Smythe, Weishar, Kmet, Wright (and equipment girl)....combined.

He has more than all the other returning TE’s combined.

Your opinion is right up there with @NDIRISH53 for lack of lack of intelligence

“Nothing but excuses for Kmet and nothing but criticism for Mack......for about the same things.

Mack has outperformed Kmet in every meaningful way thus far in their careers (same stage, last year, every phase of the game, etc.)

This narrative is just illogical.”

“Nothing but excuses for Kmet”? Why, because I said he’s had less opportunities than Mack had during both their freshman years? And because Mack had a better passer throwing him the ball, and that our current OC doesn’t use the TEs as much as before? Mack has not outperformed any TE (including weishar) in the receiving dept because he has underwhelmed in that area and kmet has not been given the same opportunities yet. As I said before, he has the tools and maybe he puts it all together this season but he hasn’t nearly lived up to the hype. Nothing at all illogical about that.

It will be interesting to see who ends up realizing more of their potential and has the better NFL career Mack or Kmet. Mack is preventing a young Kmet from being the clear cut starter, but he has 2-3 more years and a better head on his shoulders. This is probably Mack's last year, make or break. If mack explodes and Kmet is option 2 this year, he will probably be option 1 and explode next year.

All are better

I remember people saying the same thing about Teo going into his final season too.
Teo actually was a 5 Star, top 5 player nationally, & really hadn’t shown it his first 3 years. Then he had a record-breaking season.
Mack actually has two seasons remaining if he chose to (he won’t).

I remember people saying the same thing about Teo going into his final season too.
Teo actually was a 5 Star, top 5 player nationally, & really hadn’t shown it his first 3 years. Then he had a record-breaking season.
But Teo wasn’t suspended twice and kept his head on straight. Was he hyped? Yes. But he was always a good player pre 2012. Mack is not a good player. His career is very comparable to trumbettis to me but worse because of his own dumb choices.

Like I’m not gonna give a player flack who just doesn’t live up to expectations due to injury, or maybe they just didn’t have the talent everyone thought. But Mack’s is self inflicted and he somewhat leads his own hype machine. Trumbetti just didn’t have the talent, which is fine it happens every year

Reactions: Pennick4
But Teo wasn’t suspended twice and kept his head on straight. Was he hyped? Yes. But he was always a good player pre 2012. Mack is not a good player. His career is very comparable to trumbettis to me but worse because of his own dumb choices.

Like I’m not gonna give a player flack who just doesn’t live up to expectations due to injury, or maybe they just didn’t have the talent everyone thought. But Mack’s is self inflicted and he somewhat leads his own hype machine. Trumbetti just didn’t have the talent, which is fine it happens every year
Wrong.

Mack is a good player, He just hasn’t been that great player or the special player that we wanted him to be, yet.

People like you seem to forget that Mac was leading the team and receptions through the first half of the season, and still finished third on the team and receptions. Heck, he even had more receptions than Smythe... who just went in the 4th round. Not to mention developing into a fairly well rounded tight end, surprisingly.

She has a lot of things he needs to improve on, one of which has been his maturity and effort level (which appears to have been results). No question about that.

But this narrative that people like you are creating around him is not only factually incorrect, it’s just stupid.

He is the most talented tight end on our roster, and he is by far the most proven. He’s developed into a good player already, but we need him to take the next step and become the special player that he’s capable of being.

i honestly don't recall anyone here saying teo was a big disappointment. he had a steady progression that maxed out in his last season.

he's been consistently inconsistent.

i honestly don't recall anyone here saying teo was a big disappointment. he had a steady progression that maxed out in his last season.
I never thought Teo was disappointing. I think he progressed each season, and eventually turned into a star.

Mack isn't even close. He's made no impact. Maybe he had a couple of games where he blocked well.....but in 3 years since stepping on campus- he's made basically no positive impact.

He hasn't earned anyone's trust. Let's hope he has a great 2018, and starts off with a bang vs. UM.

Wrong.

Mack is a good player, He just hasn’t been that great player or the special player that we wanted him to be, yet.

People like you seem to forget that Mac was leading the team and receptions through the first half of the season, and still finished third on the team and receptions. Heck, he even had more receptions than Smythe... who just went in the 4th round. Not to mention developing into a fairly well rounded tight end, surprisingly.

She has a lot of things he needs to improve on, one of which has been his maturity and effort level (which appears to have been results). No question about that.

But this narrative that people like you are creating around him is not only factually incorrect, it’s just stupid.

He is the most talented tight end on our roster, and he is by far the most proven. He’s developed into a good player already, but we need him to take the next step and become the special player that he’s capable of being.
Tell me when Mack has proved he’s a good player. Dude has stone hands and can’t stay on the field. Hard pass

I'll take my chances a Kmet and Wright. We can all reasonably agree those guys will be on the field, barring injury.

Tell me when Mack has proved he’s a good player. Dude has stone hands and can’t stay on the field. Hard pass

Leading the team in receptions through the first 6 games of 2017. Finishing 3rd on the team in receptions in 2017 (ahead of 4th Round Pick Smythe). Being a strong blocker, the best blocking TE on the roster currently.

Also, making a/the critical catch to beat Top25 Temple in 2015, etc.

He's clearly a good player.........so I'm not surprised someone with your "intelligence" wouldn't want him.

Typical BS from you.

I'll take my chances a Kmet and Wright. We can all reasonably agree those guys will be on the field, barring injury.

We use 2+ TEs on over 30% of snaps, so yeah, they'll be on the field a lot. Either one could reasonably develop into a co-starter with Mack.

But I love this stupidity of "Mack hasn't proven himself consistent, that's why I want Kmet/Wright"..........when Mack is 100x more proven than either of them, and has as much (probably more) upside.

Just foolishness.

We use 2+ TEs on over 30% of snaps, so yeah, they'll be on the field a lot. Either one could reasonably develop into a co-starter with Mack.

But I love this stupidity of "Mack hasn't proven himself consistent, that's why I want Kmet/Wright"..........when Mack is 100x more proven than either of them, and has as much (probably more) upside.

Just foolishness.
But Mack has had 3 years and hasn't lived up to expectations.

In 1 season, Kmet and Wright are about where we thought they'd be.

But Mack has had 3 years and hasn't lived up to expectations.

In 1 season, Kmet and Wright are about where we thought they'd be.

In his Year 1 Mack GREATLY outperformed Kmet and Wright in their Year 1.

On an absolute scale, Mack GREATLY outperforms Kmet and Wright in 2017.

But somehow, Mack’s freshman year was disappointing while Kmet and Wright’s freshman years were as expected. Ridiculous.

Mack is far and away the most proven, most establish, and most consistent tight end on our roster… And also likely the most talented, with the highest upside.

But fools on this board like @NDIRISH53 Somehow come up with the opinion that the most proven, most consistent, and most talented player at the position is somehow expendable.

And this whole board is somehow disappointed in Mack’s freshman year, but OK with the others.

It’s beyond asinine.

In his Year 1 Mack GREATLY outperformed Kmet and Wright in their Year 1.

On an absolute scale, Mack GREATLY outperforms Kmet and Wright in 2017.

But somehow, Mack’s freshman year was disappointing while Kmet and Wright’s freshman years were as expected. Ridiculous.

Mack is far and away the most proven, most establish, and most consistent tight end on our roster… And also likely the most talented, with the highest upside.

But fools on this board like @NDIRISH53 Somehow come up with the opinion that the most proven, most consistent, and most talented player at the position is somehow expendable.

And this whole board is somehow disappointed in Mack’s freshman year, but OK with the others.

It’s beyond asinine.
Wow... Mack had a decent freshmen year 3 years ago so that cancels out his 2 suspensions! Again, his 166 yards and 1 touchdowns have me foaming at the mouth!

Wow... Mack had a decent freshmen year 3 years ago so that cancels out his 2 suspensions! Again, his 166 yards and 1 touchdowns have me foaming at the mouth!

Don’t worry, I’m not surprised that the post and discussion went right over your head. I don’t expect you to understand even the most basic of discussions.

However, in the Unlikely event that you ever wise and up, the reason Mack’s freshman year is relevant to the discussion is because it was so much more productive than the freshman year of the new tight ends, but for some reason everyone is disappointed with Mack but OK with others. Obviously stupid and illogical.

Take the several weeks you’ll need to process this post, and then get back to us, if you’re able to.

Don’t worry, I’m not surprised that the post and discussion went right over your head. I don’t expect you to understand even the most basic of discussions.

However, in the Unlikely event that you ever wise and up, the reason Mack’s freshman year is relevant to the discussion is because it was so much more productive than the freshman year of the new tight ends, but for some reason everyone is disappointed with Mack but OK with others. Obviously stupid and illogical.

Take the several weeks you’ll need to process this post, and then get back to us, if you’re able to.
166 yards and 1 TD. He’s about as productive as you are in bagging groceries

166 yards and 1 TD. He’s about as productive as you are in bagging groceries

166 &1. Didn’t Driskell put you in timeout? Put your phone down and get to your room. I make you my son every time you try to argue.

Reactions: echowaker
166 &1. Didn’t Driskell put you in timeout? Put your phone down and get to your room. I make you my son every time you try to argue.

From today’s camp notes since it is a hot topic on here:

“Junior Tony Jones Jr. made a number of impressive runs today. He would have had about a 60-yard touchdown during a team period had the whistle not blown. Jones made an impressive cut back to the right on a zone run, and he outraced the linebackers to the sideline. Only safety Alohi Gilman had a chance, and Jones was pulling away from him up the right sideline when the whistle blew.
Jones was decisive in the run game and when the holes weren’t huge he pounded the ball inside and moved the pile.”

Reactions: IrishMike409
I’m on record saying that Mack has a chance to put things together this year, but saying that’s he’s the most proven, most established te on the roster is not anywhere near true. He has proven to be underwhelming in the passing game w/ numerous drops. Even weishar has “proven” to be the more reliable receiver (even though he hasn’t been that great either), and the others simply haven’t had the same opportunities yet based on them only playing 1 season, having three guys in front of them during that season, and having an OC & QB that rarely utilized the position. Insult away all you want but so far, he’s under performed. W/ all that said, I think he may put it all together and live up to his hype.

I’m on record saying that Mack has a chance to put things together this year, but saying that’s he’s the most proven, most established te on the roster is not anywhere near true. He has proven to be underwhelming in the passing game w/ numerous drops. Even weishar has “proven” to be the more reliable receiver (even though he hasn’t been that great either), and the others simply haven’t had the same opportunities yet based on them only playing 1 season, having three guys in front of them during that season, and having an OC & QB that rarely utilized the position. Insult away all you want but so far, he’s under performed. W/ all that said, I think he may put it all together and live up to his hype.

Wait.....

So other players have caught more passes than Mack?
Maybe they've at least received for more yards than Mack...right?

Mack is BY FAR the most proven TE on the roster, and the claims to have faith in other but no Mack are nothing short of stupid.

The reality here is, emotions have co-opted the "minds" of several folks here. It's quite embarrassing to see people be so stupid.

You should pipe down, sit in the corner quietly, and try to learn.

nd is a better team if he does. if he doesn't i think there is equal or better talent at the position.

Reactions: francade
Thursday's MVPs were: Offense-Liam Eichenberg; Defense-Jerry Tillery; and ST- Shaun Crawford. BK also mentioned that Shaun could have won defensive mvp. He's really impressing the coaches right now on and off the field.

I don't get this new MVP thing. It seems contrived and used as a motivational tool. I've heard insiders who were at practices mention the impressive work done by players who were not the selected MVPs. But, if the players like it then so do I.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Wait, so other TEs have dropped more passes than Mack, right? ...

Other TEs haven’t had the same opportunities as Mack, so far, so comparing them right now stats-wise is, well, stupid. Plug the others into Mack’s opportunities and, I believe, they’d have had better results. If you wanna pound your head against the wall about how much more proven he is, have at it. You’re right about one thing, he is the most proven TE on the roster in a couple categories. He’s the most to proven to drop balls and the most proven to get suspended for an entire season or a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
Thursday's MVPs were: Offense-Liam Eichenberg; Defense-Jerry Tillery; and ST- Shaun Crawford. BK also mentioned that Shaun could have won defensive mvp. He's really impressing the coaches right now on and off the field.
Our nickel and dime packages should be leathal on the back end. If we can get improved DLine pressure man o man.

Other TEs haven’t had the same opportunities as Mack, so far, so comparing them right now stats-wise is, well, stupid. Plug the others into Mack’s opportunities and, I believe, they’d have had better results. If you wanna pound your head against the wall about how much more proven he is, have at it. You’re right about one thing, he is the most proven TE on the roster in a couple categories. He’s the most to proven to drop balls and the most proven to get suspended for an entire season or a bowl game.
All fair points. I think ND has really good options now at TE they haven't quite had in the last few years. I think it's that way for a lot of positions, if you don't perform you aren't going to play. I think it's obvious Mack has to perform to play over Kmet and others. He looks like he lost a few pounds and got some agility back, he looked too tight to me last year.

I don't get this new MVP thing. It seems contrived and used as a motivational tool. I've heard insiders who were at practices mention the impressive work done by players who were not the selected MVPs. But, if the players like it then so do I.
It sounds like it's more motivational and focused on doing the right things with focus and energy from the start to finish of practice. Not necessarily who makes the best plays or lights it up. I think it's about practicing the right way, and that is why you will probably see most if not all upper class men win the award.

he's a head pounder from way back.

Guess how you get those opportunities?
Being the best, and most consistent, in practice.

So in addition to being the tight end that’s most proven on the field, has the most receptions, the most receiving yards, and is the best blocker… Mack is also the tight end that’s performing best in practice.

All of that is true whether you compare his freshman year to the freshman year of the other tiedowns, or you compare last season and an absolute scale.

But for some reason the geniuses on this board consider the other tight ends to be more proven. LOL.

None of our tight ends are a sure thing, at all, but Mack is the closest to it that we have.

That’s an excellent point about practice and earning playing time. I believe Mack had an easier path to playing time his freshman year based on the TE roster at that time. Chase hounshell was a converted DE that was basically an extra lineman and the same w/ Luatua. And smythe was injured in the first game. Weishar was not as physically ready as Mack, so Mack got most of the TE opportunities in the passing game that season. On the other hand, both wright & kmet we’re stuck behind 5th year senior smythe (underrated), weishar & Mack as freshmen, so it was a little tougher road to get on the field. As I said before, I think Mack puts it all together and has a good season and having some potential behind him that hasn’t necessarily proven anything yet is also a good thing.

That’s an excellent point about practice and earning playing time. I believe Mack had an easier path to playing time his freshman year based on the TE roster at that time. Chase hounshell was a converted DE that was basically an extra lineman and the same w/ Luatua. And smythe was injured in the first game. Weishar was not as physically ready as Mack, so Mack got most of the TE opportunities in the passing game that season. On the other hand, both wright & kmet we’re stuck behind 5th year senior smythe (underrated), weishar & Mack as freshmen, so it was a little tougher road to get on the field. As I said before, I think Mack puts it all together and has a good season and having some potential behind him that hasn’t necessarily proven anything yet is also a good thing.

That’s all true.
I agree with all of that

But none of that changes how silly it is to say that Mack disappointed in his freshman year, but be OK with the freshman year from Kmet and Wright.
You can’t have it both ways, Mack outperformed them in his freshman year.

The same is true of criticizing Mack for last year, but being OK with Kmet and Wright. It’s just not supported by facts.

I think having Young and high upside players behind him, will almost certainly start achieving that upside this year, well help him. I think being in a “contract year” will help him even more.

But the people that have been OK with the lesser performance by other tight ends while claiming that the more significant performance by Mack is still disappointing… Aren’t living in reality. (@NDIRISH53)

This TE discussion is the result of sky high expectations for Mack coming out of high school, and the hype that Kelly and others continued to throw his way, only to be followed by disappointment in his production and suspensions. As is always the case with fans, when a player disappoints, we look and anxiously embrace alternatives. Kmet looks to be one hell of an alternative. Great size, good speed, great hands, incredible athlete, and good student and teammate to boot. I have a gentleman’s bet with Bodi that Mack has a better year than Kmet, but also on record saying they will both excel. Everything I’ve read suggests that Mack has matured and is driven to show his value with an eye towards the NFL. This is his contract season sort of speak, and I think he doesn’t disappoint.

This TE discussion is the result of sky high expectations for Mack coming out of high school, and the hype that Kelly and others continued to throw his way, only to be followed by disappointment in his production and suspensions. As is always the case with fans, when a player disappoints, we look and anxiously embrace alternatives. Kmet looks to be one hell of an alternative. Great size, good speed, great hands, incredible athlete, and good student and teammate to boot. I have a gentleman’s bet with Bodi that Mack has a better year than Kmet, but also on record saying they will both excel. Everything I’ve read suggests that Mack has matured and is driven to show his value with an eye towards the NFL. This is his contract season sort of speak, and I think he doesn’t disappoint.
i agree. the money train is on the horizon. the ball is in his court.

That’s all true.
I agree with all of that

But none of that changes how silly it is to say that Mack disappointed in his freshman year, but be OK with the freshman year from Kmet and Wright.
You can’t have it both ways, Mack outperformed them in his freshman year.

The same is true of criticizing Mack for last year, but being OK with Kmet and Wright. It’s just not supported by facts.

I think having Young and high upside players behind him, will almost certainly start achieving that upside this year, well help him. I think being in a “contract year” will help him even more.

But the people that have been OK with the lesser performance by other tight ends while claiming that the more significant performance by Mack is still disappointing… Aren’t living in reality. (@NDIRISH53)
Hey dope. How was Mack’s last game this year? Oh he was suspended

How was his last 2 seasons? Oh only 1 TD which was when we were already getting blown out and 166 yards because he was suspended for a whole season?

But I’m the one whose crazy for calling that disappointing LOL

Reactions: SIhoosier26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT