ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

Just listened to presser from BK. Not in pads yet. Nothing really big happening today.

"College Football Live" today. Marcus Spears when asked the most over rated team. His answer is Notre Dame. His reasoning is new DC and the Irish play at Michigan, at V-Tech, at FSU, and at USC. Nothing more to say when you have a genius like this analyzing for the top sports network.

"College Football Live" today. Marcus Spears when asked the most over rated team. His answer is Notre Dame. His reasoning is new DC and the Irish play at Michigan, at V-Tech, at FSU, and at USC. Nothing more to say when you have a genius like this analyzing for the top sports network.

ND is not at Michigan (home game)
ND is not at FSU (home game)

It’s funny he didn’t say Michigan?

At ND
At MSU
AT OSU
VS PSU
VS Wisc

Reactions: jorg96
The cat doesn't even get the simplest of things right, like the ND schedule. And no one corrected him so they didn't know either. Ask these guys what size underwear Dabo wears and they will give you detail down to the color. It's unbelievable. And they are the analysts.

I don’t understand the argument that ND is overrated because we play good teams. You can still be a very good team despite not winning all of your games. Overrated to me means a team that is expected to be good, but fails to win the games that are penciled in as wins. Maybe ND won’t finish at or above the #11 spot, but that hardly means we are overrated IMO. Maybe that’s just me.

Here's the kicker. While that genius Marcus Spears had ND as the most over rated, his co-host/analyst, Greg McElroy, had ND as the most under rated team. To the outside observer who doesn't follow ND, they came away from this show thinking what the hell?

Here's the thing though with so many questionmarks out there alot of fans who follow ND are like who the hell knows when asked about the season. I could see 11-1 and I could see 5-7 so why are we surprised analysts who obviously arent looking too hard in to it disagree.

It's not unusal for analysts, even those from "top sports networks" to say outlandish statements with the intention of getting an uproar out of sports fans and get them talking about their show. Clearly College Football Live and Spears succeeded here.

Reactions: justified1
He didn't say anything outlandish just for the pub. He is just uneducated on the finer points of the 2018 Irish season and was too lazy to do at least a little research. We are discussing him as an uninformed buffoon. Not as a brilliant college football analyst who made a controversial statement. Marcus Spears succeeded in making himself look stupid. Not for his over rated comments, but how he came to its conclusion.

Here's the thing though with so many questionmarks out there alot of fans who follow ND are like who the hell knows when asked about the season. I could see 11-1 and I could see 5-7 so why are we surprised analysts who obviously arent looking too hard in to it disagree.
At least these ND fans you speak of know that ND does not play at Michigan and at FSU. And these same negative Nellies also can come up with more sound reasoning than a "new DC".

Reactions: francade
At least these ND fans you speak of know that ND does not play at Michigan and at FSU. And these same negative Nellies also can come up with more sound reasoning than a "new DC".
To be fair the new DC is a fair point. Lea could be BVG or he could be Buddy Ryan. We shall see

To be fair the new DC is a fair point. Lea could be BVG or he could be Buddy Ryan. We shall see
I am guessing he will be somewhere in between. :D
This isn't your typical new DC situation since the basic system is not changing.

Reactions: TOMMY_23

Lea seems to have been a very interactive with players coach while under Elko. 2018 is about continuity. The Elko approach will carryover for a season. So with Lea at the lead position, there is a degree of continuity of thought and practice approach. 2019 is more likely going to be about Lea. Lea will be inserting himself into the entire defensive planning and execution and distancing from the Elko effect.

All I ask is for an informed analysis, even if it goes against my team. That way, I can trust the commentator with future opinions. Marcus Spears knew the topic was going to be part of the show and what he gave us was amateur hour that wasn't even researched in the slightest. ND deserves the same attention to detail that these bozos give Bama and Clemson. I bet Spears doesn't even know the name of our "new D.C.".

Here's the kicker. While that genius Marcus Spears had ND as the most over rated, his co-host/analyst, Greg McElroy, had ND as the most under rated team. To the outside observer who doesn't follow ND, they came away from this show thinking what the hell?
And yet you watch, and that's all they care about.

L
Lea seems to have been a very interactive with players coach while under Elko. 2018 is about continuity. The Elko approach will carryover for a season. So with Lea at the lead position, there is a degree of continuity of thought and practice approach. 2019 is more likely going to be about Lea. Lea will be inserting himself into the entire defensive planning and execution and distancing from the Elko effect.
Leas position group performed significantly better than elkos did last year. That's encouraging to me.

Remember Barry Alvarez and what happen to the defense under his direction? He was a very successful LB coach, who became a first time DC, that led a Parseghian like defense for two seasons (24-1 & a national championship). I am no fortune teller but I like the direction this team is trending right now. We shall see in 29 days.

2018 Fall Practice Schedule

Date Time Media Availability
Aug. 2 * Brian Kelly 12:00 p.m.
Aug. 3 * 10:20 a.m. -1:00 p.m. ALL Kelly/players
Aug. 4 * 10:20 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Aug. 5 * 10:20 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Aug. 6 * 10:20 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Aug. 7 * 10:20 a.m. -1:00 p.m.
Aug. 8 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ALL Kelly/Players
Aug. 9 10:00 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Aug. 10 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Aug. 11 10:10 a.m.-12:45 p.m. ALL Kelly/Players
Aug 12 NONE
Aug. 13 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Aug. 14 10:15 a.m.-12:50 p.m.
Aug. 15 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ALL MEDIA DAY
Aug. 16 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Aug. 17 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Aug. 18 NONE
Aug. 19 3:42 p.m.
Aug. 20 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 21 NONE
Aug. 22 4:00 p.m.-6:20 p.m.
Aug. 23 4:00 p.m.-6:20 p.m. Kelly/Players
Aug. 24 4:00 p.m. -6:20 p.m.
Aug. 25 10:10 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Aug. 26 NONE
Aug. 27 4:00 p.m. -6:20 p.m.
Aug. 28 4:10 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Kelly Presser
Aug. 29 4:00 p.m.-6:20p.m. Players
Aug. 30 4:10 p.m.-5:45 p.m. Kelly Post-Practice
Aug. 31 3:40 p.m.-4:40 p.m.
The school year practice schedule starts on August 21st.

And yet you watch, and that's all they care about.
NFL. Not For Long, and they should care about that. Unless, of course, I want the latest update on what Dabo and Saban had for breakfast that morning. There are a ton of other reliable sources to get my college football news and "College Football Live" will no longer be one of them. Not until these guys start doing their homework before talking. I have to be reasonably trusting of what I hear and read from my college football analysts and news sources. Marcus Spears failed with a capital "F", and by extension, so did "Colllege Football Live".

NFL. Not For Long, and they should care about that. Unless, of course, I want the latest update on what Dabo and Saban had for breakfast that morning. There are a ton of other reliable sources to get my college football news and "College Football Live" will no longer be one of them. Not until these guys start doing their homework before talking. I have to be reasonably trusting of what I hear and read from my college football analysts and news sources. Marcus Spears failed with a capital "F", and by extension, so did "Colllege Football Live".
Why so worked up over their opinions ? You're acting like they owe you something.

Back to camp...

Sounds like HG is a MAN out there.

Everyone kind of forgot about him but he might be starting Day 1 as a true freshman or at least playing significant snaps.

And Bo Bauer looks great too.

Also, for the discussion on speed. Lenzy took off on a one on one deep route, full speed, but Pride was covering him & was on him (effortlessly) like a blanket. Pride was in like 2nd gear and was faster than Lenzy. That’s world class speed.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
it is now obvious that Dex will be sitting game 1. The day 1 reps indicate that. as per Lou or Bryan " Williams got some late reps in practice". That would be a tough loss . Not sure if Jones is explosive or durable enough to carry the load and then they reley on Armstrong ( who I think is going to be special) but very inexperienced and others in the same boat . Don't think BK / Long are going to put the Frosh in vs Mich. I hope this OL is solid ... Wimbush has to be a difference maker in the red zone.

Why so worked up over their opinions ? You're acting like they owe you something.
What they owe me is effort. Same kind of effort you expect from your students and players. ESPN is not some cable access channel. They need to do better but cost cutting has forced them to hire ill informed analysts like this Spears guy. So, I move on.

Reactions: IrishMike409
What they owe me is effort. Same kind of effort you expect from your students and players. ESPN is not some cable access channel. They need to do better but cost cutting has forced them to hire ill informed analysts like this Spears guy. So, I move on.
Huh ? They don't owe you anything. You made the conscious choice to watch them. Comparing that to my students and players is really silly. I have a direct impact on their efforts and am being compensated for the results. Your watching a television program by choice.

New DC maybe, but arguing they're overrated because they play a tough schedule is ridiculous. That's equivalent to saying Alabama is overrated because they play in the sec. Or inversely, utep is way underrated because they play...well, whoever it is that utep plays.

All I ask is for an informed analysis, even if it goes against my team. That way, I can trust the commentator with future opinions. Marcus Spears knew the topic was going to be part of the show and what he gave us was amateur hour that wasn't even researched in the slightest. ND deserves the same attention to detail that these bozos give Bama and Clemson. I bet Spears doesn't even know the name of our "new D.C.".
Lol... ESPN is a wild to place to be looking for informed analysis

maybe the broadcaster was just lying?

They don't ow
Huh ? They don't owe you anything. You made the conscious choice to watch them. Comparing that to my students and players is really silly. I have a direct impact on their efforts and am being compensated for the results. Your watching a television program by choice.
e me anything? And that's why their losing v
They dont owe me anything? And that's why they are losing viewers. Your expectations of ESPN and their analysts are pretty low I notice. I don't owe their advertisers anything either. See how that sits with those advertisers. Doing minimal research apparently too much to ask of certain analysts.

They don't ow

e me anything? And that's why their losing v

They dont owe me anything? And that's why they are losing viewers. Your expectations of ESPN and their analysts are pretty low I notice. I don't owe their advertisers anything either. See how that sits with those advertisers. Doing minimal research apparently too much to ask of certain analysts.
No they don't. Their job is to broadcast a program. Some folks will like it, others won't. If you buy a pizza from a specific pizza shop and you don't like it odds are you won't go back. It's your choice. All the pizza shop owed you was a pizza. All ESPN "owed" you was the scheduled program at the scheduled time. You got that.

No they don't. Their job is to broadcast a program. Some folks will like it, others won't. If you buy a pizza from a specific pizza shop and you don't like it odds are you won't go back. It's your choice. All the pizza shop owed you was a pizza. All ESPN "owed" you was the scheduled program at the scheduled time. You got that.
I can do this all day. You respond, then I respond. You have strong opinions and so do I. Yours aren't any more stronger or correct than mine on this issue. The NFL has your same attitude. If you don't like the product, don't watch. We owe you nothing. Guess what? People aren't watching.

Reactions: francade
I can do this all day. You respond, then I respond. You have strong opinions and so do I. Yours aren't any more stronger or correct than mine on this issue. The NFL has your same attitude. If you don't like the product, don't watch. We owe you nothing. Guess what? People aren't watching.
Yep and the NFL just had record setting revenue sharing disbursements. You're killing them.

it is now obvious that Dex will be sitting game 1. The day 1 reps indicate that. as per Lou or Bryan " Williams got some late reps in practice". That would be a tough loss . Not sure if Jones is explosive or durable enough to carry the load and then they reley on Armstrong ( who I think is going to be special) but very inexperienced and others in the same boat . Don't think BK / Long are going to put the Frosh in vs Mich. I hope this OL is solid ... Wimbush has to be a difference maker in the red zone.

If that is the case (his sitting game 1), while unfortunate I believe we will see the offense augment the running game significantly with the TE's, screens, slip passes, etc. Between BW's running ability and the overall talent, it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep the Michigan D off-balance with the unknown. I do agree the OL is key in this game, obviously - and while we've lost two great players we return a lot of experience as well.

I for one see a lot of confidence in BK's demeanor so far. Sure, it's early, but I believe our Irish are going to be very strong.

Is there a link to the full depth chart?

If not- what is the current RB depth chart? Wish Adams stayed!

Yep and the NFL just had record setting revenue sharing disbursements. You're killing them.
I never have seen anybody come to the defense of ESPN like you are doing? What gives? Are you personal friends with Marcus Spears or something? Do you have part ownership in ESPN? Nothing any of us little people do affect the bottom line with these corporate monsters, but that doesn't mean we have to bend over , take one, and ask for another. I can give a rat's behind about the NFL revenue. Not one penny is from me so that's all I can do. I will watch the analyst whenever I see fit, then come here and analyze the analysts when I see fit. That's how it's going to be.

Most overrated team-
I never have seen anybody come to the defense of ESPN like you are doing? What gives? Are you personal friends with Marcus Spears or something? Do you have part ownership in ESPN? Nothing any of us little people do affect the bottom line with these corporate monsters, but that doesn't mean we have to bend over , take one, and ask for another. I can give a rat's behind about the NFL revenue. Not one penny is from me so that's all I can do. I will watch the analyst whenever I see fit, then come here and analyze the analysts when I see fit. That's how it's going to be.
The NFL is not allowed on in my house.

Most overrated team-

The NFL is not allowed on in my house.

I thought you were an Eagles fan. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm not turning the NFL off because some players kneel instead of stand during the anthem. That would be an ultimate sowflake move.

I thought you were an Eagles fan. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm not turning the NFL off because some players kneel instead of stand during the anthem. That would be an ultimate sowflake move.
I am a bird’s fan but I just don’t care that much anymore... and I wasn’t nearly as happy as I thought I’d be after waiting for a super bowl my whole entire life. It felt soured to me. I will still turn into the birds once they start playing, because Wentz is such a good man and so is nick foles. I don’t watch NFL network anymore, and I don’t want any other NFL teams. I watched about 10 Eagles games last year. I used to never miss a game and would watch them religiously and tape them and watch them over play by play. Thanks Kaepernick

He will indeed continue.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT