ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

I never have seen anybody come to the defense of ESPN like you are doing? What gives? Are you personal friends with Marcus Spears or something? Do you have part ownership in ESPN? Nothing any of us little people do affect the bottom line with these corporate monsters, but that doesn't mean we have to bend over , take one, and ask for another. I can give a rat's behind about the NFL revenue. Not one penny is from me so that's all I can do. I will watch the analyst whenever I see fit, then come here and analyze the analysts when I see fit. That's how it's going to be.
For crying out loud! IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!!!!

Reactions: irishdave2000
I heard yesterday that BW was struggling early on, but rebounded as practice went along. There were some dropped passes that led to his completion pct for day one. Other than that, what else is important enough to report at this point that has the full approval of BK? I am hoping beyond hope that no one asks BK about the Urban Meyer situation.

If you don't like the discussion, then pass over it. You are not obligated to read anything here.
Lol. I never said I didn't like the discussion. It's actually entertaining reading your posts. Also, perhaps you should take your own advice regarding college football live.

in practice, do they still use the footballs with the stripes on either end?

Last edited:
This season they are using white footballs with black stripes for all night games, pending approval of Nick Saban.

I heard yesterday that BW was struggling early on, but rebounded as practice went along. There were some dropped passes that led to his completion pct for day one. Other than that, what else is important enough to report at this point that has the full approval of BK? I am hoping beyond hope that no one asks BK about the Urban Meyer situation.

They already did (asked BK about Urban situation) & he handled it appropriately. He responded that ND has procedures & everybody knows them & follows them or they are gone. He left it at that (never mentioning Urban’s name or situation).

Lol. I never said I didn't like the discussion. It's actually entertaining reading your posts. Also, perhaps you should take your own advice regarding college football live.
I reserve the right to watch what I watch, but, as we all know, there are a ton of other shows and sources which I will take advantage of. If CF Live has Trevor , Greg, Brock, or Andre, I usually stick around.

FYI nothing to do with camp but here are the rating comparisons
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/may-coverage-estimates-big-drops-espn-fs1-nbcsn-league-networks.html

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl...bc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

really do not care about it. I will watch games on ESPN or others if it is a good game. I tend to stay away from a lot analysis shows. As for the NFL i rarely watch but will watch occasionally nothing to do with the kneeling. I am just not as interested. However, as programs in sports go SJW it tends to make me walk away. so 'I just want to see a game that and prefer Notre Dame football to all else. By the way the ratings overall are down.

This season they are using white footballs with black stripes for all night games, pending approval of Nick Saban.

Will they still put the yardage line every 5 yards; I thought for sure at least 1 member of the media would question on the use of variable yardage markers to go along with the rub off cards determining yards needed for 1st downs.

I never have seen anybody come to the defense of ESPN like you are doing? What gives? Are you personal friends with Marcus Spears or something? Do you have part ownership in ESPN? Nothing any of us little people do affect the bottom line with these corporate monsters, but that doesn't mean we have to bend over , take one, and ask for another. I can give a rat's behind about the NFL revenue. Not one penny is from me so that's all I can do. I will watch the analyst whenever I see fit, then come here and analyze the analysts when I see fit. That's how it's going to be.
Who's defending them ? I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous to expect something specific from them. You act like your entitled to something more than you received. Your not. The program you expected to air at a specific time did. Not liking the content is a personal choice, you know like the choice to actually view it.

Back to camp...

Sounds like HG is a MAN out there.

Everyone kind of forgot about him but he might be starting Day 1 as a true freshman or at least playing significant snaps.

And Bo Bauer looks great too.

I didn’t forget him. I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t starting game 1. IMO, he was easily the best pickup in the entire class last year.

BK said Saturday that he would pick a MVP from offense, defense, and ST. Day 1 MVP's were Chase Claypool, Daelin Hayes, and Jalen Elliott. You can see his Saturday comments (UND.com report) over on Latest Camp Videos.

Last edited:
Day 2 MVP's were Tommy Kramer, Drue Tranquill, and Nicco Fertitta. I like Coach Kelly naming MVPs after each practice. It's a highly effective tool to motivate highly competitive people.

Why doesn't anyone want to talk RBs? I'm scared to death that our depth flat out isn't close to where it needs to be? Is Jones good enough to carry the load vs Michigan? If not who is next up?

Hopefully it's not an issue, and my anxiety is just getting the best of me.

I have talked my concern about the RBs but some around here are convinced it's no big deal.

I have talked my concern about the RBs but some around here are convinced it's no big deal.

I echo your sentiment, Toby. It's a problem.

Last year w an unbelievable OL, we still need Adams, Jones, Deion, Dex to grind out a ton of tough yards. Who is going to do it this year?

I don't think we can trust Dex.

Even with Dex and Tony Jr behind him, injuries do come and some could be serious. What we have behind Dex and Tony Jr are true rookies with zero experience. But, some say no big deal. As fans, there is nothing we can do about it, but as fans, we can still hope for the best with Dex and Tony and the young guys ease in to game action.

Why doesn't anyone want to talk RBs? I'm scared to death that our depth flat out isn't close to where it needs to be? Is Jones good enough to carry the load vs Michigan? If not who is next up?

They are not talented enough to win big time at this level without Dex. Go ahead crucify me

They are not talented enough to win big time at this level without Dex. Go ahead crucify me
No reason to crucify you- I pretty much agree (although I hope we're wrong).

Even with Dex- he's proven nothing to us. Why would anyone trust the guy?

That has a lot to do with it not actually being that big of a deal.

RB is now one of the least important positions on the field, in terms of having a real star there.

Additionally, the players and athletes that we do have, should be capable of being affective there, even if they themselves are unlikely to be real game changers.

Look at what the depth chart was after just three carries in 2015.
That was still one of our most productive recent seasons rushing ... bc an athlete with absolutely no experience at running back in CJ Prosise stepped right up and rushed for over 1000 yards.

The effectiveness of a rushing attack is more dependent on the OL, QB, scheme, and play calls than having a major talent at RB, in today’s game.

As long as we avoid major injuries, Jones, Williams, Armstrong, and Davis should be a sufficient group. The freshman may also get sprinkled in some too.

All that being said, it certainly would have been nice for Adams to return instead of going pro early, I feel that was the wrong decision both for him and for the team.

Reactions: Ara64 and mbd11

Foolish.
Simply foolish.

Hell, we won big games last season and our much ballyhooed back wasn’t even draftable.

I think at least for the first game, especially if Dex doesn't play ND is going to have to rely on Wimbush a little more than they'd like to have a good day running the ball. If that happens then that should open up some lanes for whoever is at RB. Defenses tend to get stuck in the tracks trying to figure out who is getting the ball: QB or RB. It was huge against SC last year. I'm very curious to see how Armstrong does. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the RB with the most carries for game 1. Lastly, if Wimbush has figured out how to operate the passing attack and he can manipulate the line of scrimmage by creeping towards it and throwing when someone is open and running when there is daylight, then defenses are going to have a very hard time stopping this offense.

That has a lot to do with it not actually being that big of a deal.

RB is now one of the least important positions on the field, in terms of having a real star there.

Additionally, the players and athletes that we do have, should be capable of being affective there, even if they themselves are unlikely to be real game changers.

Look at what the depth chart was after just three carries in 2015.
That was still one of our most productive recent seasons rushing ... bc an athlete with absolutely no experience at running back in CJ Prosise stepped right up and rushed for over 1000 yards.

The effectiveness of a rushing attack is more dependent on the OL, QB, scheme, and play calls than having a major talent at RB, in today’s game.

As long as we avoid major injuries, Jones, Williams, Armstrong, and Davis should be a sufficient group. The freshman may also get sprinkled in some too.

All that being said, it certainly would have been nice for Adams to return instead of going pro early, I feel that was the wrong decision both for him and for the team.
I truly hope you're right and hope I'm wrong.

Foolish.
Simply foolish.

Hell, we won big games last season and our much ballyhooed back wasn’t even draftable.
We had 2 top 10 picks on the line... and Adams simply wore down and was way too injury prone, which is 75% of the reason he wasn’t drafted. I do agree he doesn’t have NFL running back written all over him as well.

What people probably don’t realize is how much better Adams’ “measurables” are compared to Williams. Williams is actually not very fast. Adams ran a laser-timed 4.48 on pro day. Williams ran a 4.57. Adams also had a better shuttle. Williams got caught from behind 2-3 times last year on runs Adams scores on. Dex’s best attribute is the initial 3-5 yard burst. He is quick in that area. But he benefited a lot from getting carries when the opposing DL was worn down. He never broke tackles or ran through people. The notion of him being so “talented” compared to everybody else more of wishful thinking than truth. I think everyone pictures him as a homerun gut, & he really isn’t. There are two other RBs now who are faster than him. He is good at making a quick cut & getting up field. But he isn’t a short yardage back. He isn’t a third down back. He is limited on what he can bring. So people acting like he is the “difference” in winning big games or not are over-selling him.

What people probably don’t realize is how much better Adams’ “measurables” are compared to Williams. Williams is actually not very fast. Adams ran a laser-timed 4.48 on pro day. Williams ran a 4.57. Adams also had a better shuttle. Williams got caught from behind 2-3 times last year on runs Adams scores on. Dex’s best attribute is the initial 3-5 yard burst. He is quick in that area. But he benefited a lot from getting carries when the opposing DL was worn down. He never broke tackles or ran through people. The notion of him being so “talented” compared to everybody else more of wishful thinking than truth. I think everyone pictures him as a homerun gut, & he really isn’t. There are two other RBs now who are faster than him. He is good at making a quick cut & getting up field. But he isn’t a short yardage back. He isn’t a third down back. He is limited on what he can bring. So people acting like he is the “difference” in winning big games or not are over-selling him.
Who is faster?

I don’t see him as a home run guy. I see him as someone with amazing vision who gets at least 4 yards every time and never tries to do too much. He is just a natural running back with amazing vision, balance, and instinct for the position. I feel his talent has been wasted by a poor coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT