ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

I don’t see him as a home run guy. I see him as someone with amazing vision who gets at least 4 yards every time and never tries to do too much. He is just a natural running back with amazing vision, balance, and instinct for the position. I feel his talent has been wasted by a poor coach

His talent has been wasted by his own doings.
Did you hear the coaches talking about him the other day?
They said he had his best offseason & was in shape this summer for the first time.
So it took him 4 years to realize he needs to be in shape & work hard in the offseason?
And he made an agreement with the coaches & University a couple years ago after his arrest. And he didn’t keep to his side of the agreement, which is nobody’s fault but his own.
So if you take out the fact he doesn’t know the playbook, doesn’t block, or run correct routes...just him not being in shape & failing drug tests is on him.

I don’t see him as a home run guy. I see him as someone with amazing vision who gets at least 4 yards every time and never tries to do too much. He is just a natural running back with amazing vision, balance, and instinct for the position. I feel his talent has been wasted by a poor coach
No, his talent to date has been wasted by the man in his mirror.

Reactions: Pennick4
In my opinion, the “talented” one in the backfield is Armstrong.
If he can transition over to RB fast enough he could be the “difference maker” we are all looking for.
It would have been nice to have Ball State or Vandy first, not Michigan, to break him in.

Reactions: IrishMike409
So much credit for so few accomplishments.

We had 2 top 10 picks on the line... and Adams simply wore down and was way too injury prone, which is 75% of the reason he wasn’t drafted. I do agree he doesn’t have NFL running back written all over him as well.

And we have a great OL yet again, with even more balanced experience than 2017.

Plus we have a more experienced QB and a team that’s in the 2nd Year of a run oriented system.

And the main reason Adams wasn’t drafted is his overall talent level, and many many three injury prone and actually injured RBs are drafted highly.

The talent at RB isn’t developed enough, but it’s nowhere near the disaster you’re trying to make it out to be, both because of the position as well as because of the actual talent there.

I hope Dex tears it up & has a great year.

My only dog in this fight is the following two stances:
1) Saying Jones is a MAC level running back at best
2) Saying Dex is the “difference maker” on the team

Really, Jones has done more in an injury shortened RSfreshman season than Dex has done in 3 years.
Dex needs to have a great Senior year not to be considered a disappointment at ND.

Really, Jones has done more in an injury shortened RSfreshman season than Dex has done in 3 years.
Dex needs to have a great Senior year not to be considered a disappointment at ND.
We all want him to tear it up. Unfortunately it seems the fans want it more for him than he does.

We all want him to tear it up. Unfortunately it seems the fans want it more for him than he does.

The coaches said he had a great offseason (minus the weed) so maybe he puts it together this year. It will suck if he actually does have a great year but doesn’t play Opening weekend.

Reactions: FriedmanIP
What people probably don’t realize is how much better Adams’ “measurables” are compared to Williams. Williams is actually not very fast. Adams ran a laser-timed 4.48 on pro day. Williams ran a 4.57. Adams also had a better shuttle. Williams got caught from behind 2-3 times last year on runs Adams scores on. Dex’s best attribute is the initial 3-5 yard burst. He is quick in that area. But he benefited a lot from getting carries when the opposing DL was worn down. He never broke tackles or ran through people. The notion of him being so “talented” compared to everybody else more of wishful thinking than truth. I think everyone pictures him as a homerun gut, & he really isn’t. There are two other RBs now who are faster than him. He is good at making a quick cut & getting up field. But he isn’t a short yardage back. He isn’t a third down back. He is limited on what he can bring. So people acting like he is the “difference” in winning big games or not are over-selling him.

Agreed.

He’s an explosive back, but only has decent top end me speed, and he isn’t especially powerful or good as a receiver...and that in addition to being a liability as a blocker.

He’s an explosive RB, who is at his best in a spread offense and especially when it’s not a 3rd down, not a short yardage situation, and not in the the red-zone.

He can have a major role in this offense with that skill set, and even be an major impact player... but people here definitely overrate him.

The coaches said he had a great offseason (minus the weed) so maybe he puts it together this year. It will suck if he actually does have a great year but doesn’t play Opening weekend.

Agreed.

I’m still hoping there is a way for him to work himself out of the doghouse and play Week 1.

But I’m not holding my breadth.

Agreed.

I’m still hoping there is a way for him to work himself out of the doghouse and play Week 1.

But I’m not holding my breadth.

I think it’s telling he is getting the least amount of reps at practice. That probably means he isn’t playing game one.

I think it’s telling he is getting the least amount of reps at practice. That probably means he isn’t playing game one.

Agreed, generally speaking. The fact that Kelly hasn't shot down the suspension rumors, despite having tons of chances, also tends to show that.

But it's still early in camp, so I think it's theoretically possible that there could be a path for him to work out of the doghouse before Week 1 (maybe). Wishful thinking, I know, but not impossible....yet, imo.

Now if that carry distribution continues during the week leading up to the Michigan game, you'd know he's suspended as a 100% stone-cold fact.

IrishMike, do yourself a big favor and don't take anything to the bank right now. Take a little info from here, a little from there, then wait for the season to start for things to play out and you will get some of your questions answered. As of now, nobody knows what will happen once the season gets going. From what I heard from Eric Hansen this past week, BK will not answer definitive questions on Dexter because of the HIPAA laws. If Dex wants to talk suspension, that's his business. Until then, be patient, things will unfold once the season begins and we get deep into September and beyond.

IrishMike, do yourself a big favor and don't take anything to the bank right now. Take a little info from here, a little from there, then wait for the season to start for things to play out and you will get some of your questions answered. As of now, nobody knows what will happen once the season gets going. From what I heard from Eric Hansen this past week, BK will not answer definitive questions on Dexter because of the HIPAA laws. If Dex wants to talk suspension, that's his business. Until then, be patient, things will unfold once the season begins and we get deep into September and beyond.

You know Hansen just gets info from Lou, who has covered ND for 34 years, & is the lead guy on this site? You should probably give more credence to what is reported here. Heck, go back & look two months ago. What you said Hansen said was posted on here then.

Huh? Dex had 130 more yards than Jones on 5 less carries. Also had more touchdowns and had a great TD catch vs Sparty. I think Jones is a decent talent. ND should have multiple backs on the roster more talented every year.

9 YPC ain’t no joke

Reactions: MPolley41
Huh? Dex had 130 more yards than Jones on 5 less carries. Also had more touchdowns and had a great TD catch vs Sparty. I think Jones is a decent talent. ND should have multiple backs on the roster more talented every year.

9 YPC ain’t no joke

RB is more than just yards.

How many first downs did Dex get?
How many plays did Dex run the wrong play?
How many blocks did Dex miss?

Dex averages almost 15 ypc in the second half & about 2.5 in the first half. That was my point about racking up yards against tired defenses. Do you know he stays against ranked teams opposed to bad teams?

You know Hansen just gets info from Lou, who has covered ND for 34 years, & is the lead guy on this site? You should probably give more credence to what is reported here. Heck, go back & look two months ago. What you said Hansen said was posted on here then.
I don't look as Eric as anything more than another source. I'm not married to these guys like some of you are. I know a while back some of you were saying that Dex was gone for four games. Now you all are not so sure what the situation is. No one does because BK or Dex isn't talking. We will have to wait and see. I take in the info from Lou the same as I take it in from anyone else. Then I wait and see. I use to live and die with this stuff when I was younger just like you Irish fans are. I understand. But as I got older, it takes a little more to persuade me. I had one poster try to lecture me within an inch of my life on a topic yesterday and I was laughing the whole time because it didn't move my opinion one fraction. I'm good like that.

RB is more than just yards.

How many first downs did Dex get?
How many plays did Dex run the wrong play?
How many blocks did Dex miss?

Dex averages almost 15 ypc in the second half & about 2.5 in the first half. That was my point about racking up yards against tired defenses. Do you know he stays against ranked teams opposed to bad teams?
You say he averages almost 15 ypc in the 2nd half like its a bad thing. And I can only remember him missing a few bad blocks such as in the LSU game. I didn’t see Jones out there making things happen all too much. I’m sure he does all the little things well, which is great. But Dex is so much of a better runner

But yet other backs have not had a problem executing their assignments, working hard etc.

You say he averages almost 15 ypc in the 2nd half like its a bad thing. And I can only remember him missing a few bad blocks such as in the LSU game. I didn’t see Jones out there making things happen all too much. I’m sure he does all the little things well, which is great. But Dex is so much of a better runner
Dex has this pesky problem with availability and reliability.

But yet other backs have not had a problem executing their assignments, working hard etc.
The same backs who took themselves out of the games last year countless numbers of times with things you have to play through? Or are you referring to the 2 backs who couldn’t stay out of trouble and are no longer on the team. Denson is a disaster whichever way you cut it

The same backs who took themselves out of the games last year countless numbers of times with things you have to play through? Or are you referring to the 2 backs who couldn’t stay out of trouble and are no longer on the team. Denson is a disaster whichever way you cut it
Cj promise and Josh Adams say otherwise. Players getting in trouble is not the fault of coaches.

Reactions: Pennick4
Fans don't determine what a player should or should not play through. That's dumb. You're insinuating said players are soft with no knowledge whatsoever of the severity of their problem. That's nothing more than a cheap shot.

Fans don't determine what a player should or should not play through. That's dumb. You're insinuating said players are soft with no knowledge whatsoever of the severity of their problem. That's nothing more than a cheap shot.
It’s impossible to find a running back who doesn’t get nicked up at some point during the season. It’s football, you have to play through it. It was so sickening to me watching Bryce love run all over our defense with what any of our guys would have not played through.

What happens in a blowout, after the backups are all in, is pretty unimportant.

What happens against high quality teams when they're starters are still...that actually matters.

The fact that you constantly confuse these two shows that you shouldn't be commenting on it.

MVPs 08.02.18 Practice are:

Offense - Miles Boykin, Defense - Troy Pride, and ST - Jafar Armstrong.

Reactions: echowaker
The guy bragging about his inability to learn wants to talk about what’s “impressive”.

Senility is truly a sad disease.
Dude, knock it off. I don't even know who you are. Never even heard of you. You're not the board bully you think you are. You're not going to do anything about it. You're not the board genius. This is the first time we have ever communicated and this is how you want to come across? Officer Doofy of the message board? Let it go. You've got yourself in a no win situation not to mention a violation of board rules. Now scram.

Reactions: echowaker
It’s impossible to find a running back who doesn’t get nicked up at some point during the season. It’s football, you have to play through it. It was so sickening to me watching Bryce love run all over our defense with what any of our guys would have not played through.
more cheap shots. you have zero knowledge of the circumstances.

Dex has this pesky problem with availability and reliability.
for sure, but that can be improved upon greatly. What can't be improved upon is the lack of talent that will most likely be starting on the 1st. You can't turn a switch on and become fast or quick. Dex's issues are all himself, but ND having such minimal talent at RB is on the program.

more cheap shots. you have zero knowledge of the circumstances.
that's fine, but for different reasons you couldn't count on Williams you couldn't count on adams or procise.

Worst of all, adams was supposed to be a leader, talked about count on me, and everything he's going to fight through because his mom worked 2 or 3 jobs, blah blah blah.....he didn't fight through anything

for sure, but that can be improved upon greatly. What can't be improved upon is the lack of talent that will most likely be starting on the 1st. You can't turn a switch on and become fast or quick. Dex's issues are all himself, but ND having such minimal talent at RB is on the program.
agreed. some here think dex should play regardless of his effort.

that's fine, but for different reasons you couldn't count on Williams you couldn't count on adams or procise.
enormous difference between injury and effort. no one can ever predict when an injury may occur. if all are healthy it's much easier to rely on players who put in the effort sunday through friday than the ones who don't.

enormous difference between injury and effort. no one can ever predict when an injury may occur. if all are healthy it's much easier to rely on players who put in the effort sunday through friday than the ones who don't.
When was adams injured? In HS?........ sore, banged up, absolutely

He pulled himself out of games, to only come back in later, or play the next week. Kelly sat him for a half and a game for mental fatigue. Brutal

When was adams injured? In HS?........ sore, banged up, absolutely

He pulled himself out of games, to only come back in later, or play the next week. Kelly sat him for a half and a game for mental fatigue. Brutal
so you're saying adams was never injured in his time at Notre Dame ?

so you're saying adams was never injured in his time at Notre Dame ?
It's the old hurt vs injured debate. I know he had a hammy issue one year but not sure of the extent. I'll focus on 2017. He played in all 13 games, therefor he was not injured. You can't play when injured. No question things were bothering him. Is that why he pulled himself out, is that why he ran soft in a few of the big games? RB is probably the most physically demanding position to be a full time starter, I get it. But it goes back to the "count on me" he started, well, ND couldn't count on him in the big games.

It's the old hurt vs injured debate. I know he had a hammy issue one year but not sure of the extent. I'll focus on 2017. He played in all 13 games, therefor he was not injured. You can't play when injured. No question things were bothering him. Is that why he pulled himself out, is that why he ran soft in a few of the big games? RB is probably the most physically demanding position to be a full time starter, I get it. But it goes back to the "count on me" he started, well, ND couldn't count on him in the big games.
you can't play when injured ? since when ? most players do. if you think being " banged up " is different than being injured you're incorrect. running back is not the most physically demanding position as they do not receive contact on each and every play. i played every game my junior year with a pretty bad case of turf toe as our field at MSU was garbage. as far as count on me how do you determine that player A playing " banged up " is more effective than player B playing healthy ? i never had a teammate or a player i coached who " wanted " to come out of a game but felt it was in his teams best interest to do exactly that. everyones physiology is different. a back with a sore shoulder is not going to hit the hole with the same fervor if it wasn't . thats human nature. if you have a sore foot you can't hit it as quickly either. with my turf toe i could not run block nearly as effectively without the push i usually could generate. its a violent, difficult game to play. its not a contact sport it's a collision sport. running " soft " ? if you're banged up it certainly is going to happen.

you can't play when injured ? since when ? most players do. if you think being " banged up " is different than being injured you're incorrect. running back is not the most physically demanding position as they do not receive contact on each and every play. i played every game my junior year with a pretty bad case of turf toe as our field at MSU was garbage. as far as count on me how do you determine that player A playing " banged up " is more effective than player B playing healthy ? i never had a teammate or a player i coached who " wanted " to come out of a game but felt it was in his teams best interest to do exactly that. everyones physiology is different. a back with a sore shoulder is not going to hit the hole with the same fervor if it wasn't . thats human nature. if you have a sore foot you can't hit it as quickly either. with my turf toe i could not run block nearly as effectively without the push i usually could generate. its a violent, difficult game to play. its not a contact sport it's a collision sport. running " soft " ? if you're banged up it certainly is going to happen.
i agree other than the RB position is not getting hit every play but their collisions they are taking 20-30 times a game are the most violent with the linebackers being close 2nd.

You hit on my point, if he wasn't able to run like himself then he shouldn't have been in at all because he was not helping the team in those games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT