ADVERTISEMENT

You can't be 11 and 0 without a damn good Oline !

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
I keep hearing from Irish fans how bad the Irish Oline is. I see Monsters on the Irish Oline like Eichenberg,Kraemer, Banks, Mustipher and Hainsey.
I see Book and Wimbush getting plety of protection. I see a proficient offense.

I see Dexter Williams Tony Jones JR and Jafar Armstrong getting first downs when needed.

I have not seen Book get blindsided maybe but one time.

*** With the addition of Aaron Banks I see a Oline that is becoming a Dominant Oline as they start gelling together.

*** As the Oline gets all the time off before the playoffs after we knock off USC (ONE GAME AT A TIME) The Irish will wake up the echoes !!

Go Irish !! Beat USC !! One game at a time!

Reactions: rgc7
If you lose your best 3 o lineman in a span of a year and still have a RB run for 200 plus on one of the best rush defenses in the nation, you have a damn deep and talented o-line.

I think it's in the mindset of many ND fans to look for thunderstorms on a bright clear day. It seems many want to demonstrate their vast knowledge of football; and why they should be the coach of the fighting irish instead of the present coach. 35 and I use to have some fun moments over that point in the fanbase. I really miss him. I hope to meet him in heaven one day. Wife's improving daily but still not much free time to visit here. Time to go and beat USC. The offensive line is fine and getting better each game. Remember Big Mac returned for his fifth year because he had that little problem his senior year. My schatter brain remembers it was false starts? Quinn is doing an outstanding job this season. Thunderstorm worries on a bright sunny day!

The line is mediocre on a above average team. It is what it is. Run blocking sucks. Dexter only breaks free on his own and after the pass has worked. Book helps the run game by spreading them out. OL is the weak point in this team.

The line is mediocre on a above average team. It is what it is. Run blocking sucks. Dexter only breaks free on his own and after the pass has worked. Book helps the run game by spreading them out. OL is the weak point in this team.
Above average? #3 in the Nation is just "above average"? And most teams would love to have our Oline. Who gives Book the Time to spread the ball out to help our run game?
How come our great Oline of last year was not able to block well against Georgia, Miami or Stanford? And yet this years Oline has handled teams with great Dlines like Michigan with Rahan Gary and Florida States and Syracuses excellent Dlines.
This Oline may not be as great as last years Oline yet but give them time. Olines have to gell together. They are trending up and should be even better for the playoffs with all the practices they will get.

*** Am I the only one that likes this Oline? I think they are great and Quinn is doing a good job with a new group.

Reactions: zro pts4u
Above average? #3 in the Nation is above average? And most teams would love to have our Oline. Who gives Book the Time to spread the ball out to help our run game?
How come our great Oline of last year was not be able to block well against Georgia, Miami or Stanford? And yet this years Oline has handled teams with great Dlines like Michigan with Rahan Gary and Florida States and Syracuses excellent Dlines.
This Oline may not be as great as last years Oline yet but give them time. Olines have to gell together. They are trending up and should be even better for the playoffs with all the practices they will get.

*** Am I the only one that likes this Oline? I think they are great and Quinn is doing a good job with a new group.
I would say #3 in the nation is above average. Yes.

By the way, I love your enthusiasm. I think the line is ok. Hope they continue to get a push in the run blocking and red zone. I think Book’s quick release helps the OL.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I would say #3 in the nation is above average. Yes.

By the way, I love your enthusiasm. I think the line is ok. Hope they continue to get a push in the run blocking and red zone. I think Book’s quick release helps the OL.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Book makes the whole offense better. The blockers probably hold their blocks better because they know Book is going to make the right reads.

It's not as simple as saying the O-Line is bad or good. It's been a mixed bag, as we've seen great pass protection and run blocking leading to big plays and scores. Then there's also been times they've made errors false starts, holding, whiffs on blocks or missing a guy to pick up. I believe this OL can be dominant. It just needs to develop confidence and consistency.

The offensive line is likely the main reason I won't be able to pick us to beat Clemson or Alabama (along with special teams). Teams like Alabama and Clemson have absolute monsters on their Defensive lines and are going to be really tough to keep out of the backfield.

I mean if you can't run the ball on teams like Pitt and Northwestern then the top teams are going to eat you alive. Not to mention the constant false start penalties, you simply can't do those things against the elite teams you will find in the playoff. There is still a lot of things the team needs to clean up in order to even be competitive against teams like that, the inconsistency of the oline being right at the top of the list.

The offensive line is likely the main reason I won't be able to pick us to beat Clemson or Alabama (along with special teams). Teams like Alabama and Clemson have absolute monsters on their Defensive lines and are going to be really tough to keep out of the backfield.

I mean if you can't run the ball on teams like Pitt and Northwestern then the top teams are going to eat you alive. Not to mention the constant false start penalties, you simply can't do those things against the elite teams you will find in the playoff. There is still a lot of things the team needs to clean up in order to even be competitive against teams like that, the inconsistency of the oline being right at the top of the list.
That is why Kelly put AARON Banks in. Aaron is part Godzilla part King Kong !

I hear ya. What gives me hope though is that they were able to have success running the ball against UM, the tree, and noles.

You are right ! Alabama and Clemson have Monsters on the Dline ! But so does ND ! The top four teams all have great Dlines ! Defense wins championships. And we allready handled #4 Michigan ( Kareem sack at the end won it). And the Oline kept Wimbush safe while he led the Irish to a 21 to 3 lead before that damn Michigan KO return !
Let the games begin ! Go Irish !!

Nonsense. The line was recently named as a semifinalist for the Joe Moore Award. Only ten named. Mediocre ? Hardly.

Dex only breaks free on his own ? What games have you been watching ? On many td runs he's been barely touched if at all. The 97 yarder at VA Tech the only defender who touched him did it after he'd already run about 80 yards.

We have monsters on OUR offensive line. These guys are effing huge man! And can block and move pretty quick! You guys don’t like the O Line because they don’t rack up stats or score TDS. I’m sure if one of OL guys got the ball and ran with it 40 yards you’d all be praising the offensive line! Most of you just don’t know much about the position. It is the hardest position(s) in the game by far.

I think it's in the mindset of many ND fans to look for thunderstorms on a bright clear day. It seems many want to demonstrate their vast knowledge of football; and why they should be the coach of the fighting irish instead of the present coach. 35 and I use to have some fun moments over that point in the fanbase. I really miss him. I hope to meet him in heaven one day. Wife's improving daily but still not much free time to visit here. Time to go and beat USC. The offensive line is fine and getting better each game. Remember Big Mac returned for his fifth year because he had that little problem his senior year. My schatter brain remembers it was false starts? Quinn is doing an outstanding job this season. Thunderstorm worries on a bright sunny day!

Ara -- thanks so much for the update on 35. Loved that guy's posts, a true ND man, a champion. I didn't know he was watching games with the Gipper, Knute and Ara these days. God Bless him and his wife. Thanks for keeping in touch. Let's get this one Saturday for him. Here is a quote from Ara that sums up 35 and this year's team:

When I make a fist, it's strong, and you can't tear it apart. As long as there's unity, there's strength.

Dex only breaks free on his own ? What games have you been watching ? On many td runs he's been barely touched if at all. The 97 yarder at VA Tech the only defender who touched him did it after he'd already run about 80 yards.
The awards committee feels that our "OL is a year away". "Though improved from week one, they always haven't been pretty or consistent". Those are their words, not mine. I want to focus on a year away. What will this machine actually look like in 2019? How about quality depth? This sounds like a great OL in 2019.

I'm with Bodi. Guy was the only one who predicted this season! Most guys on here -- even smart ones like IIO -- predicted 7 or 8 wins at most! I hoped for 10 but thought 9.

We were all wrong. Bodi wasn't. The line is not there yet. Still cooking. Give 'em a month of coaching and there will be real improvements.

The OL has been slow to develop, but it is improving weekly and playing its best ball down the stretch. Losing Bars hurt a ton, and it wasn’t until Banks took over the LG that we started to see some dominant physical play on that side. Hainsey was hurt early in the season and his play at RT suffered, but he has really come on of late. Kraemer quite frankly has underachieved at RG, looking slow in the run game, which he was expected to dominate. His benching seems to have done wonders, as his play against Syracuse was more along the lines of what we all expected from him. Hoping to see a dominant performance from the OL this weekend, and one that consistently imposes its will in the run game, which I expect to carry over into the playoffs. Go Irish!

Great to read your wife is improving daily!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT