ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! what a way to win - back to back buzzer beaters

Crazy....I was in and out of the room watching: Did we ever lead that game?

Crazy....I was in and out of the room watching: Did we ever lead that game?

Yes. In the beginning ND shot out to a lead but then faltered. Trailed for most of the game until the end of the 3rd quarter.

But Won. Yipeeeeee!!!

Didn't think we would beat UConn. Then thought there would be a UConn hangover. I have to stop thinking and just enjoy the games. I still can't believe that shot. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. In the beginning ND shot out to a lead but then faltered. Trailed for most of the game until the end of the 3rd quarter.

But Won. Yipeeeeee!!!

Thanks. When I came in we were down and never saw us lead until the last shot.

Nd was down by 15 at the half
Down by 5 with 1.30
never gave up.. It was almost unfair when Miss St. had a 6-7 dude playing for them

Since that bad loss at Louisville back in January and the come back from 23 points down vs Tenn, there has been no quit in these ladies.

Great year ladies!

Nd was down by 15 at the half
Down by 5 with 1.30
never gave up.. It was almost unfair when Miss St. had a 6-7 dude playing for them

No need to be like Pike, that’s an embarrassing comment, good game Bulldogs, go irish.

National champs despite all the adversity. Coming back from substantial deficits each game in the tournie. So impressive.

I think we return a ton of talent including some injured folk (e.g. Briana Turner) and adding new faces as freshmen.

This was a really unlikely year to go all the way after losing so many players to injuries.

I think we return a ton of talent including some injured folk (e.g. Briana Turner) and adding new faces as freshmen.

I'm wondering who all is coming back ... Turner(?), Vaughn (most likely), Johnson(?), Thompson (will she have any eligibility left?).

I know we definitely lose Westbeld and Nelson, hope none of the others with eligibility left leave for the WNBA or transfer as in years past.

I'm wondering who all is coming back ... Turner(?), Vaughn (most likely), Johnson(?), Thompson (will she have any eligibility left?).

I know we definitely lose Westfeld and Nelson, hope none of the others with eligibility left leave for the WNBA or transfer as in years past.

Nelson, Westfeld and the grad transfer from Stanford Thompson? Are all graduating or are already using a 5 th year.
Remember too Erin Boley Transfered along with Patterson, two transfers and 4 major injuries.

They have the chance to be quiet loaded next year, lot of girls coming back plus depth

Patterson is still on the team, its Patberg who transferred.

Patterson is a freshman, didn't play at all, I think, in the final 4 ... but got quite a bit time before that.

Nelson, Westfeld and the grad transfer from Stanford Thompson? Are all graduating or are already using a 5 th year.
Remember too Erin Boley Transfered along with Patterson, two transfers and 4 major injuries.

They have the chance to be quiet loaded next year, lot of girls coming back plus depth

Do you mean Danielle Patterson? She didn't transfer. The transfers were Erin Boley and Ali Patberg. Patterson's twitter account has a picture of her with the championship trophy.

Next year should be nice for Muffet. She gets Turner and Vaughn back. Mychal Johnson and Lili Thompson could be back as well to ease the incoming freshmen PGs into action.

The first big recruiting event for the year is in a couple of weeks. McGraw and her staff should have a lot of clout walking into that.

i'll be shocked if McGraw and staff don't bring in a top 3 rated class after having a season like this

could be wrong but I think Lili used up all of her time

I agree. But there have been instances where the NCAA has allowed a 5th or 6th year ... Lili was hurt after only a couple games this winter, so ...

But she's a grad student and may not want to continue if she graduates this May.

Why did they set he clock at .1? did a timeout get called - the clock clearly went to 0 while the ball was going through the hoop? by what reasoning would the clock automatically stop? when the ball hit the floor time had run out?

When there was .1 on the clock why did MMcG have players guarding within the arc? every ND player should have been defending at a safe distance, along the 3 point arc. 2 points would mean nothing.

Last edited:
Why did they set he clock at .1? did a timeout get called - the clock clearly went to 0 while the ball was going through the hoop? by what reasoning would the clock automatically stop? when the ball hit the floor time had run out?

When there was .1 on the clock why did MMcG have players guarding within the arc? every ND player should have been defending at a safe distance, along the 3 point arc. 2 points would mean nothing.

The ball cleared the net at .1, so that was when the basket was made. By the rules for end game situations, the clock must stop at that moment. Since it was a last second shot and the clock expired, the refs had to look at the instant replay to see if there was any time left. There was, so game back on, even with that small amount of time left.

The ND players were positioned to make a inbounds pass difficult, but they were more than likely instructed to do nothing once the pass was in the air. If the Bulldogs could have tipped in a 3 point shot, the game deserved to go to overtime.

The ball cleared the net at .1, so that was when the basket was made. By the rules for end game situations, the clock must stop at that moment. Since it was a last second shot and the clock expired, the refs had to look at the instant replay to see if there was any time left. There was, so game back on, even with that small amount of time left.

The ND players were positioned to make a inbounds pass difficult, but they were more than likely instructed to do nothing once the pass was in the air. If the Bulldogs could have tipped in a 3 point shot, the game deserved to go to overtime.
Love Arike, BUT she nearly shot us OUT of the game in the first three quarters by forcing bad shots, and missing. Glad she could redeem herself and the team.

Love Arike, BUT she nearly shot us OUT of the game in the first three quarters by forcing bad shots, and missing. Glad she could redeem herself and the team.

I'd say Mabry's 7 first half turnovers did more damage than Arike's missed shots. None of Arike's shots were out of her usual pattern, and the missed layups were a result of McCown making all of the ND players think about not getting swatted on layup attempts. It's a huge adjustment on the women's side to play against girls who are 6'6 and taller because they are so rare. Even if the women's team has a guy that tall who can simulate what you might see in the game, there's usually not enough time to truly adjust to that length in the middle.

That last .1 of a second was bullshit.
How is it they were allowed to inbound the ball on their side of the court?
Damned if they did complete a pass and get a shot off!
Completed the pass, but shot would not have counted even if it went in.
.01 of a second only allows for a tip in. Catch and shoot cannot happen by rule.

Reactions: Tottz
What does the rule state for stopage of the clock in a situation like last night? when is the timekeeping actually supposed to consider a basket completed? Through the cylinder? we have seen shots spin out even past the cylinder or is it through the netting? or when the balls flight has completed.
As long as that ball is in flight, it would seem part of the shot. Time should have expired.

They better fix that rule. I have a feeling #24 is not done making historic shots!

That last .1 of a second was bullshit.
How is it they were allowed to inbound the ball on their side of the court?
Damned if they did complete a pass and get a shot off!

In the girls game, if a timeout is called in the last minute of a half (or quarter, not sure about this), the team with the ball has the option of inbounding from the normal spot, or from a spot at half court.

I'd say Mabry's 7 first half turnovers did more damage than Arike's missed shots. None of Arike's shots were out of her usual pattern, and the missed layups were a result of McCown making all of the ND players think about not getting swatted on layup attempts. It's a huge adjustment on the women's side to play against girls who are 6'6 and taller because they are so rare. Even if the women's team has a guy that tall who can simulate what you might see in the game, there's usually not enough time to truly adjust to that length in the middle.
Yes, the turnovers were very bad and mostly unforced, but in my opinion Arike was forcing too many bad shots---not her usual pattern.

BTW, Herb and coolirish, I know you follow the team. Do you agree that it is safe to say that without any one of the starting five, they would never have won the championship? That being said, my MVP for the season is Jessica. Arike is terrific, but Jess was indispensable.

Yes, the turnovers were very bad and mostly unforced, but in my opinion Arike was forcing too many bad shots---not her usual pattern.

The baseline pull up was problematic for Arike. I think she missed 4 or 5 of those and didn't seem to recognize that when McGown was pulled out of the paint, Schaeffer rotated to that spot to try and draw charges. The majority of her misses were stepback jumpers and layups that she usually makes. I wouldn't call them bad shots, but she was definitely trying to force herself into an early rhythm instead of letting it come to her.

And as I had a coach tell me once, "A bad shot might result in a bucket for you. A turnover can only result in a bucket for them."

BTW, Herb and coolirish, I know you follow the team. Do you agree that it is safe to say that without any one of the starting five, they would never have won the championship? That being said, my MVP for the season is Jessica. Arike is terrific, but Jess was indispensable.

Can’t disagree. Jessica was definitely indespensable in that she could do so many things ... score, rebound, defend, pass and even bring the ball up court on occassion.

Arike in my opinion is a lot like Jerrain Grant was for our men’s team. Both extremely important to their teams but often made me nervous.

The orher starters were all important too in their own ways. Mabrey and Young were not natural point guards but had to learn how to play the position and did admirable jobs. Westbeld like Shepard did a little of everything and made a big difference when she was in the floor.

we wouldn't have won it all without Jessica. they said during the final that all the players agreed that they wouldn't have had the season that they had without her.

I just said in another thread that they'll be really tough to beat next year when you add turner to the inside with Jessica because Jessica has a really good outside shooting game that she'll get to show off with turner back. didn't see it this past season with turner out. it'll force teams to have to leave turner one on one in the inside to dominate below the basket or leave Jessica one on one on the outside

I just said in another thread that they'll be really tough to beat next year when you add turner to the inside with Jessica because Jessica has a really good outside shooting game that she'll get to show off with turner back. didn't see it this past season with turner out. it'll force teams to have to leave turner one on one in the inside to dominate below the basket or leave Jessica one on one on the outside

Agreed. Jessica is a better shooter than Westbeld, so with both Turner and Shepard on the floor at the same time, defenses are going to have nightmares trying to defend two "bigs". Then add our 3 returning guards, who can all score ... I'd hate to have to try to devise a defense to stop that.

What does the rule state for stopage of the clock in a situation like last night? when is the timekeeping actually supposed to consider a basket completed? Through the cylinder? we have seen shots spin out even past the cylinder or is it through the netting? or when the balls flight has completed.
As long as that ball is in flight, it would seem part of the shot. Time should have expired.

They better fix that rule. I have a feeling #24 is not done making historic shots!

As I stated before, the shot is considered made when the ball clears the net. Slow the shot down and you can see it clears with .1 left on the clock. The clock operator will never be fast enough to stop the clock in a situation like that, so it is an automatic replay check to stop homer shot clock operators from screwing visiting teams over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT