ADVERTISEMENT

Why play your star Jr's when you know they will sit out the final games?

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
College football could be going down the drain.
I am actually a little worried about Mike Mayers Jr season. Will he sit out much of the season knowing he will be a high draft pick?
Since most of the fans and star players think the NFL is Everything nowadays why should a GREAT junior player risk getting hurt his last season?
Maybe the college coaches need to wizen up and start playing the freshman and sophmores alot more than the star juniors.

*** Kyle Hamilton and Kyren Williams have tempered my enthusiasm for college football (the only sport I follow--though I do like to watch Quenton Nelson youtube videos)

Is anybody else feeling the same way? That star Juniors are going to play less and less and that is going to ruin the quality of the game.
I just turned the Mizz vs Army bowl game off because half the Tigers team is in street clothes dancing and laughing on the sidelines.

I hope Michael Mayer plays the entire season next year including the bowl game--that would lift my spirits !

Reactions: lennyv and Pennick4
College football continues to become more and more like minor league NFL. It’s been trending this way ever since the playoff got added.

So not a shock we’re seeing guys sit out bowl games. And it’s only getting worse.

How would you like it if you shell out a million and then the kid stands on the sidelines?

I assume you would be yelling if their athletic scholarship was revoked.
If they're sitting out they aren't going back to school anyway. What are you revoking then ? Also how well do think an action like that would play on the recruiting trail ?

Last edited:
I am actually a little worried about Mike Mayers Jr season. Will he sit out much of the season knowing he will be a high draft pick?
Since most of the fans and star players think the NFL is Everything nowadays why should a GREAT junior player risk getting hurt his last season?
Maybe the college coaches need to wizen up and start playing the freshman and sophmores alot more than the star juniors.

*** Kyle Hamilton and Kyren Williams have tempered my enthusiasm for college football (the only sport I follow--though I do like to watch Quenton Nelson youtube videos)

Is anybody else feeling the same way? That star Juniors are going to play less and less and that is going to ruin the quality of the game.
I just turned the Mizz vs Army bowl game off because half the Tigers team is in street clothes dancing and laughing on the sidelines.

I hope Michael Mayer plays the entire season next year including the bowl game--that would lift my spirits !
You don’t sit your best players period.

Well the bowl games are irrelevant. Many of the juniors and seniors who want to play in the NFL are opting out of playing for their team in a bowl game. The playoff has rendered all other bowl games meaningless. You prob have agents telling telling their players of the risk if they choose to play. Jaylon Smith comes to mind. He was most likely a top 5 pick but the injury Against Ohio st in the bowl game hurt his status. This is just the reality. Now you have the NIL deal. So I just feel that the college game is changing rapidly and no one really knows where its headed .

mayer will be treated differently even in practice next year, he won't be taking all the reps. Others will get a lot of reps in practice.

Honestly so disappointed that ELI tore his ACL. I thought he would be our second best TE by midseason

It's simple.

Bowl games that aren't playoff games are the first game of the following season. Not the final game of the current season.

teams should use the 15 extra practices to get ready for spring and NOT treat it as a send off for aspiring NFL or seniors.

simple as that. All it takes is a change in perspective.

It's simple.

Bowl games that aren't playoff games are the first game of the following season. Not the final game of the current season.

teams should use the 15 extra practices to get ready for spring and NOT treat it as a send off for aspiring NFL or seniors.

simple as that. All it takes is a change in perspective.
I think half and half, and they somewhat do that. A lot of PT for the young players the first week or two while the starters heal up.

You really want to win the game. There's almost no good loss, and a loss can be damaging.

If they don't play then I would revoke their scholarship and make them pay like normal students. Kick them OUT! I hate quitters in football. You quit on your team then YOUR A QUITTER!!!
If they sit they aren't coming back to school. There is no scholarship to revoke.

Rabble rabble, and they can stay off my lawn, too. I wish the man would force these children into jeopardizing their futures for my amusement. I mean, I didn't even play college football; I deserve their sacrifice.
Those players are provided with a scholarship which allows them to obtain a free and valuable education in return for them PLAYING football.

Ergo, they’re obligated to fulfill their end of the contract !

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Those players are provided with a scholarship which allows them to obtain a free and valuable education in return for them PLAYING football.

Ergo, they’re obligated to fulfill their end of the contract !
They did fulfill their end. What are you talking about? No where in the contract does it say how many games they have to play. What are they going to do, take there credits earned back? No university will do that.

Instead of being upset about players skipping a game, the bigger issue is coaches jumping ship before the bowl is played. Coaches should not talk to any team until their season is completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
mayer will be treated differently even in practice next year, he won't be taking all the reps. Others will get a lot of reps in practice.

Honestly so disappointed that ELI tore his ACL. I thought he would be our second best TE by midseason
Agree, but Mitchell Evan’s looks massive and also seems to be a tough tough dude. You think he’ll see some real action next year?

Like I’ve said several times on this board: you all will forget more football than I know. That being said, I’m bullish on Mitchell Evans being a real contributor.

Last edited:
Couple of things...
#1 expand the playoffs to 16
(Should be done anyways)

But this will make at least 15 postseason games very important!!!!
8 games
4 games
2 games
1 final game

Secondly is all schools collectively draw a line in the sand...(the conferences) create a rule of sorts that they must participate

The second one will never happen but the playoff expansion could definitely help.

It's a real problem going forward

Couple of things...
#1 expand the playoffs to 16
(Should be done anyways)

But this will make at least 15 postseason games very important!!!!
8 games
4 games
2 games
1 final game

Secondly is all schools collectively draw a line in the sand...(the conferences) create a rule of sorts that they must participate

The second one will never happen but the playoff expansion could definitely help.

It's a real problem going forward
Terrible idea

They did fulfill there end. What are you talking about? No where in the contract does it say how many games they have to play. What are they going to do, take there credits earned back? No university will do that.

Instead of being upset about players skipping a game, the bigger issue is coaches jumping ship before the bowl is played. Coaches should not talk to any team until their season is completed.
Both are true. Coaches shouldn’t leave, players shouldn’t leave (before the bowl)

If your best players bail on the TEAM then you kicked them out. They plan on leaving anyways so help them out. Bo said one thing right in his miserable life; it's THE TEAM.

If your best players bail on the TEAM then you kicked them out. They plan on leaving anyways so help them out. Bo said one thing right in his miserable life; it's THE TEAM.
Yep..
Sadly us, we, our has given way to me, myself and I

All you can do is raise YOUR kids the right way and hope for the best. That's all you can do

They did fulfill their end. What are you talking about? No where in the contract does it say how many games they have to play. What are they going to do, take there credits earned back? No university will do that.

Two distinctly separate issues.

Your wrong about the contract, the coach rather than the players decides how many games the player will participate in.

As to what recourse the University should have, repayment of their tuition, room and board would be appropriate

Reactions: 88ND
Two distinctly separate issues.

Your wrong about the contract, the coach rather than the players decides how many games the player will participate in.

As to what recourse the University should have, repayment of their tuition, room and board would be appropriate
Absolutely.

But...
Everyone needs to band together. One school that is the lone voice of opposition kills the whole thing.

Absolutely.

But...
Everyone needs to band together. One school that is the lone voice of opposition kills the whole thing.
i agree, and the natural progression with this trend will lead to a chaotic and unpopular game.

I share your concern that this could if not destroy the game severely DILUTE IT.

Still, if the emphasis is now on transitioning players to the NFL rather than graduating them from college on a normal timeline – if at all – there’s a need for tighter ground rules.

If the NCAA reasserted itself, it could do the following:

• Include a clause in all scholarships that players can’t OPT OUT of games.
  • For any opted out game, a player forfeits a portion of his scholarship. The forfeited amount is the quotient of the number of games missed divided by the number of games the team plays.
In other words, players can’t opt out WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE. In fact, a STIFFER PENALTY could be applied. Mine is only ONE OPTION.

IN RETURN, players can leave at ANY POINT if they feel they’re likely to be drafted. In other words, a Trevor Lawrence-type can, if he chooses, leave after game 3 of his freshman year. But the risk is entirely his.

THE OTHER MORE DRACONIAN OPTION IS LOSS OF SCHOLARSHIP, PERIOD. That way, only players who've graduated, soon will or simply don’t care if they do would be likelier to opt out.

That players NOW HAVE AGENCY isn't the same as them OWNING the sport. The adults in the room are still in charge as long as they’re willing to ASSERT IT. And there’s all of that money NOW FLOWING THEIR WAY for them not to.

The NCAA and the schools should put their heads together, hire smart lawyers and figure this out. And if not? Look for a DICEY CHILDREN’S CRUSADE of UNTESTED BOLSHEVIKS TANKING A SPORT. While EVERYONE in this is in it for the money, it’s KEEPING THE GAME THAT COUNTS.

i agree, and the natural progression with this trend will lead to a chaotic and unpopular game.
Absolutely...it's heading there rapidly.

Nobody wins in this current asinine system. Nobody.
Some will say the player wins because he's skipping the bowl game for the pay day.
I disagree.
#1 this is still college football.
It's SUPPOSED to be about scholastics first and foremost and if you're fortunate enough you can attend for free giving your athletic services.
Again though it's to be about studies first and foremost.

#2 a lot of these players skipping out on a final game have no idea where and how high they'll be drafted. For every Kyle Hamilton player there's 3 players who are low round picks with no certain professional future.

This is where the pipe dream is very unhealthy. The rules in place at present are doing these kids a complete disservice by allowimg ..no no...almost promoting they overlook an important degree for a "maybe" professional career.

This me, myself and I attitude is extremely unhealthy not just for the sport but in all avenues of life, leadership, etc.

The above things have nothing to do with being a fan. It's just a fact the negative effect this all has.

The NFL is the power holder here. They can manipulate things to help deter sitting out. Now some might say the NFL doesn't care they just want the player. That's true on the surface but the long term impact of this to the college game...the very thing feeding the NFL...will be destructive. Until they come out with a minor league system like Hockey and Baseball this will continue down a dark and dreary path getting worse by the year.

It’s so odd to me that half the fans and 100% of the media have nothing but praise for players quitting on their team before the bowl games.
Make no mistake. America's true national sport is the MONEY GAME. And in this environment, even people going nowhere in life FINANCIALLY will root for some college athlete's chance to score a fortune. It's STILL BEING A FAN and still incorporates the same passive, vicarious, hero-identified tendencies.

How many fans simply WISH they were that player encountering that FABULOUS PAYDAY we are all taught from infancy is our WHO-KNOWS-MAYBE-BIRTHRIGHT? Isn't this America's SUSTAINING MYTH and the lure that keeps people from focusing on the GROSS INEQUALITIES our system cannot help but produce? And this isn't politics -- I'M A CAPITALIST -- just the facts.

So, in a society where the CULT OF PERSONALITY has been encroaching on the IDEA OF TEAMWORK for decades, a shift in fans' loyalties -- IN INSTANCES SUCH AS OPT-OUTS, TRANSFERS and FREE AGENCY -- is nothing but a NATURAL PROGRESSION. It's IN THE WATER and part of the ZEITGEIST.

As for sports commentators, their job is to PROMOTE MONEY IN SPORTS, NON-STOP. They're part of not only a sports economy but also a SPORTS ECOLOGY. Whatever makes money for sports is POSITIVE. And what does the fan get? The message that HEY, WE CAN ALL BE RICH AT LEAST VICARIOUSLY if we all just jump on the GOOD-FIGHT bandwagon.

After all, there's a sucker born a minute. And if there's one thing people who know money know -- IT'S THAT.

It’s so odd to me that half the fans and 100% of the media have nothing but praise for players quitting on their team before the bowl games.
I'd say it's more like 70-80 percent of fans are irritated by the quit on your team mentality.
I'd say about 100 percent of the media just doesn't say it's true feelings on the matter. They just don't really talk about the subject. Mentioning... "player x is skipping out on this game now Johnny let's take a look at the new sod brought in to repair the field"

Something like that.

If they focus on it fans at the bar...casual fans ...etc...will turn their back on the sport altogether. They mention it briefly as the late to tune in viewer will think where the hell is __________???

Once addressed on to another topic.

Mark my words the me, myself and I situation will only get worse before it gets better.

Reactions: 4-4-3
“Isn't this America's SUSTAINING MYTH and the lure that keeps people from focusing on the GROSS INEQUALITIES our system cannot help but produce? And this isn't politics -- I'M A CAPITALIST -- just the facts.”

“just the facts” my ass. Your opinion is far from fact. Take your America hating rhetoric and jam it.

Yep..
Sadly us, we, our has given way to me, myself and I

All you can do is raise YOUR kids the right way and hope for the best. That's all you can do
I'd say it's more like 70-80 percent of fans are irritated by the quit on your team mentality.
I'd say about 100 percent of the media just doesn't say it's true feelings on the matter. They just don't really talk about the subject. Mentioning... "player x is skipping out on this game now Johnny let's take a look at the new sod brought in to repair the field"

Something like that.

If they focus on it fans at the bar...casual fans ...etc...will turn their back on the sport altogether. They mention it briefly as the late to tune in viewer will think where the hell is __________???

Once addressed on to another topic.

Mark my words the me, myself and I situation will only get worse before it gets better.
If they don't play then I would revoke their scholarship and make them pay like normal students. Kick them OUT! I hate quitters in football. You quit on your team then YOUR A QUITTER!!!
Lol at some of these comments. Raise them the right way? Not jeopardizing their futures that is so close in front of them…most everyone would tell their children to do the same thing. If Hamilton or Mayer were your sons, and they’re guaranteed first round picks, you’d tell them to go and play?

If Tyler's mid-range accuracy doesn't improve then MM will not play the entire year

So much ‘hate’?
Focus on more worldly interests and social events.
Wait, Noooo! don’t go there!
As you were.

Lol at some of these comments. Raise them the right way? Not jeopardizing their futures that is so close in front of them…most everyone would tell their children to do the same thing. If Hamilton or Mayer were your sons, and they’re guaranteed first round picks, you’d tell them to go and play?
YES I WOULD!!! Football is the ultimate game of risk and reward. It is the ULTIMATE team game.

Absolutely ridiculous!
No where in a player’s scholarship contact does it say YOU MUST PLAY A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF GAMES. If players can enter the transfer portal at anytime, then a player can decide if they want to play in a bowl game. Also, ND coaches and teammates have not said anything negative about about these player’s decision to enter the draft now. It’s people like you that have zero connection to the team that wants to complain.

Paying back tuition? What a joke!!!!!!! Those players earned the university that much and more. Williams is one of the main reasons ND is playing in this bowl. The money ND is making from this bowl alone cover every dime they gave these players.

Absolutely ridiculous!
No where in a player’s scholarship contact does it say YOU MUST PLAY A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF GAMES. If players can enter the transfer portal at anytime, then a player can decide if they want to play in a bowl game. Also, ND coaches and teammates have not said anything negative about about these player’s decision to enter the draft now. It’s people like you that have zero connection to the team that wants to complain.

Paying back tuition? What a joke!!!!!!! Those players earned the university that much and more. Williams is one of the main reasons ND is playing in this bowl. The money ND is making from this bowl alone cover every dime they gave these players.
When you and others put the interest of individuals above the interests of the team and the university you’ve lost your mind.

Hey, let’s extend this entitlement philosophy to the military and the battlefield.

You want to make it okay for soldiers to quit on their units in the midst of combat because they might get wounded.

Read Tom Brokaw’s book about “The Greatest Generation“.

We’re turning out a generation of entitled wimps

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT