ADVERTISEMENT

Who the heck is Greg Hudson???

At this point any new name for DC excites me. This guy has a decent resume and is an ND grad.
http://247sports.com/Coach/Greg-Hudson-42

Apparently former ND player - "experienced" as a DC with a less than glowing track record - lets hope he can do better with a higher level of talent !

Hmmmmm - was assistant head coach (1999-2000) at............Cincinnati !

Team defensive statistics where Hudson was defensive coordinator.

*************** Total 'D' Passing 'D' Rushing 'D'
2004 Minnesota 80th 110th 48th
2005 East Carolina 82nd 18th 114th
2006 East Carolina 59th 40th 69th
2007 East Carolina 96th 113th 53rd
2008 East Carolina 63rd 68th 72nd
2009 East Carolina 100th 116th 39th
2013 Purdue 95th 33rd 116th
2014 Purdue 83rd 56th 96th
2015 Purdue 111th 88th 107th

Last edited:
was not on Kelly's staff at Cinci. His talent level is highest it's been. This is like changing your golf swing. You almost always get a bump at first but not always maintain it

"Interim".....Probably not the last shoe to drop....I'd guess next year Light......Kelly will go get some top defensive coach and pay him well...

Kinda makes you wonder if this was the contingency plan back in June when Kelly hired Hudson as an analyst.

"Interim".....Probably not the last shoe to drop....I'd guess next year Light......Kelly will go get some top defensive coach and pay him well...

BVG was paid well. And what did that accomplish?

Shocking hire. Absolutely atrocious resume at Minnesota and Purdue. Finally got fired after 3 miserable years at Purdue. Good luck with him.
It's the middle of the season the ONLY thing possible is to promote someone from your staff.

Hudson's defense did manage to give us some problems, even though we won, when he was at Purdue. Maybe he can do better with better talent.

That's right. there was a lot of hand wringing over the Diaco "bend but don't break" style, but I wonder what might have been with that defense and this offense.
I always like Diaco, his only real flaw was his instance on only recruiting certain "body types". This is where Kelly should have stepped in and put an end to that because it left us really think on the DL.

Also, this offense in DK, without him this offense is as putrid as the one we saw the first 5 years.

Purdue defense has sucked for years. I know you can't hire a coach in the middle of the season. but my god, bk puts this clown in charge, he sucks. bk again shows he can't make a good decision if it bit him in the ass

Purdue defense has sucked for years. I know you can't hire a coach in the middle of the season. but my god, bk puts this clown in charge, he sucks. bk again shows he can't make a good decision if it bit him in the ass

Hudson's defenses at Purdue were horrible. I'm shocked Kelly hired him.

IMO BK will be making these changes :

1- Rochelle will move inside and rotate with the other interior lineman. Look for D Hayes to get more and more snaps at DE also Bonner as well. Trumbetti has been non - existant at DE. Untimately more players used on the DL. The LB position is interesting . I think Onuwalu is very ordinary at best. Look for some players to begin to split time . Look for Drue T to move to that position as well. He is a junior and cannot play SS at all.Look for Martini to play there as well . Bilal will play more with Coney.
SS is a mess . I think Avery starts there and Elliot backs him up. This position is a disaster right now. FS is Studstill . Vaughn starts at one CB . Luke ?? He has digressed so badly that I do not think he should get automatic PT but who else is there ? Love ? Colemen? This is the worst secondary ever at ND so ND needs to find a way to generate a pass rush up front somehow with better speed at DE and more blitzing from the inside LB's. I good luck Hudson.

Remember the old saying: It will get MUCH worse before it gets ANY better. This seems appropiate. Who is Greg Hudson? Some dude Brian Kelly hired. Like BVG.

Reactions: perseverare
Remember the old saying: It will get MUCH worse before it gets ANY better. This seems appropiate. Who is Greg Hudson? Some dude Brian Kelly hired. Like BVG.

My guess this is someone to fill the job until they evaluate him and whom ever they interview

Hate to see coaching decisions based on a partial season. Players usually respond to a new coach, and results are better than expected, but when these guys lose their interim tag, things often digress. Prefer hiring a DC with a proven record. That said, hope we see significant improvement in play and attitude under Hudson.

For you bear fans, he's the John Shoop of defensive coordinators.

He employed two and one man pass rushes against teams.

He tried to implement a 3-4 when our best defensive lineman were 4-3 one happens and we had no OLB that could pass rush.

The as far as DB usage is viewed: Purdue has four DBs (Allen-ATL, Williams-Indy Brown-DAL, Johnson-Jags)in the NFL that played under Hudson and each draft profile stated they were in a poor defensive scheme at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT