ADVERTISEMENT

Where will Phil Jurkovec transfer to?

Ian Book will give Kelly his 10 to 12 wins a season. We have not had any crappy 8 or 9 win seasons under Book.
And we are not a lower end top 20 team. Ian Book led the Irish to the playoffs last year--where only four teams made it. We are 7 and 2 this year will be favored in every game the rest of the season and could easily finish in the top ten again. If we end up ten and two we could get a major bowl invite and Book will break our big bowl losing streak.
Phil J. is a scrub right now. Book is a major player in the college football landscape.
Brady Quinn, Deshone Kizer, and Jimmy C. were all NFL qb's out of ND and none of them could beat an elite team. Maybe it is not just the QB's fault?

Bodi,
I an not sure if you were answering my post or IrishforLife’s post ?
In any case, good to post with you, and here are my views :
You are very high on Book ! I like Book ok, and have said on many occasions that Book is a
Very good college QB. He is also very limited in his passing game talent wise especially when he is under pressure. His stats look very good, but he is not an elite QB.
My problem is more with Kelly than with Book, however.
The question of the Thread was “ Will Phil Transfer ? “ unfortunately, I believe that he will, because even in Blowout games, Kelly never gives Phil any meaningful playing time.
Phil was recruited because he was a top recruit and a number of major programs were after him.
Too bad that , for reasons only know to Kelly , We will never get to see how talented Phil May or may not be
Correct me if I am wrong , but you stated in a past post or thread that “ Book was a better QB at ND
“. Or that “ Book had better stats than Joe Montana had at ND “ not sure what your exact quote was ?
In any case , Montana was not allowed to play freshman year. Montana did not play another year because
He had a shoulder Seperation. I don’t think that Montana started in his Junior year until mid season, but
In his senior year Montana led ND to an NC.
So in spite of Book’s , or any other QB’s stats, Montana was just head and shoulders above
Most of the college and pro Qbs who ever played the game.

Last edited:
I love those who are all in on Ian. That was before they were all out and that was before they were all in. Same goes for BK. In, out, in, out. Can't take any of this serious. Pick a side and go with it.

I love those who are all in on Ian. That was before they were all out and that was before they were all in. Same goes for BK. In, out, in, out. Can't take any of this serious. Pick a side and go with it.

Kelly - Definitely out. Anyone with common sense knows after 10 years Kelly has hit his ceiling. No championship with Kelly.

Book - Best player should play, I don’t know who that is because I haven’t seen enough of anyone else.

He doesn't know nor does anyone else on this thread. This is all purely speculation and just another way to take shots at Kelly.

I don’t think ND is unbeaten with Phil @ QB. Actually I think they would probably of lost another game. No, I’m not a BK apologist and I would love to see a change at the HC position.

I don’t think ND is unbeaten with Phil @ QB. Actually I think they would probably of lost another game. No, I’m not a BK apologist and I would love to see a change at the HC position.
I've come to the conclusion that he's a very good coach but not a great one that can win the NC for the Irish. To his credit, the program overall is in much better condition than when he arrived.

Last edited:
He doesn't know nor does anyone else on this thread. This is all purely speculation and just another way to take shots at Kelly.

I don’t know for certain if Phil will leave but I would be willing to bet that if Book comes back and it looks like he is QB1 after Spring ball, PJ would leave. And I believe he would end up at destination where he already has a relationship with coaching staff.
And it’s not taking shots at Kelly at all. It is what it is.

I don’t know for certain if Phil will leave but I would be willing to bet that if Book comes back and it looks like he is QB1 after Spring ball, PJ would leave. And I believe he would end up at destination where he already has a relationship with coaching staff.
And it’s not taking shots at Kelly at all. It is what it is.
I didn't mean to say you were doing that, but a lot of posters in this thread create controversy that doesn't even exist simply to make Kelly look bad.

FWIW, quarterback is probably the #1 position of transfer in CF. There's only one football to go around and players aren't willing to wait their turn anymore. They may see their chances being better elsewhere, but they will have competition no matter where they go with another QB recruit coming in every year and those already in place.

I completely disagree. I did not start this thread to take shots at Kelly. I do question why Phil has not gotten more opportunities to develop. In the one series he got at Michigan he went down the field and scored. Then with the game well in hand in the forth quarter he was not allowed any meaningful PT. With Book coming back and a couple more QBs coming up behind him I think it's more then possible he will leave.

Reactions: rgc7
I completely disagree. I did not start this thread to take shots at Kelly. I do question why Phil has not gotten more opportunities to develop. In the one series he got at Michigan he went down the field and scored. Then with the game well in hand in the forth quarter he was not allowed any meaningful PT. With Book coming back and a couple more QBs coming up behind him I think it's more then possible he will leave.

Phil Jurkovec fumbled in his first series against Michigan. He scored in his second.

And where exactly did I mention you? I didn't.

I was talking about posts within this thread; not the original post.

I know I was being a big hard on the Beaver but really? I mean I really hope I just missed the sarcasm on that post but I think it was and he was serious.

Not sure what u were watching - he threw wounded ducks in that Mich game - had no spiral and got lucky as heck on his completions

Add in the fact he also has no wheels

Sorry - he’s not the answer and either is that new recruit from Ct for next year

Not sure what u were watching - he threw wounded ducks in that Mich game - had no spiral and got lucky as heck on his completions

Sorry - he’s not the answer and either is that new recruit from Ct for next year
Ummm he was 3 for 4 and a TD. You must be thinking of another notre dame with a qb named Phil Jurkovec lol!

Could be, if he has a sick family member I'm sure he could sneak in a waiver to play right away.

He should transfer and play immediately. Why punish a kid because he never got a legit shot at playing time at his present school? Should he be the starter at ND? I don't know. Should he get a chance to play meaningful downs during a blowout - absolutely.

he has better wheels than Book. He was one of the top dual threat QBs coming out of high school. rushed for almost 3000 yards in 34 high school games.

Last edited:
he has better wheels than Book. He was one of the top dual threat QBs coming out of high school. rushed for almost 3000 yards in 34 high school games.

Then Kelly got hold of him, and like every other QB under him, the talent disappears. It amazes me how the apologists here can’t see how Kelly has failed with all of these highly touted QB’s. It’s different if it’s 1 or 2 in a 10 year span, but with Kelly, it’s been every QB he’s had in the program.

I 100% agree with Eric Hansen. Phil doesn't transfer unless he gets passed up by Brendon or someone else.

“he has better wheels than Book. He was one of the top dual threat QBs coming out of high school. rushed for almost 3000 yards in 34 high school games.”

Echo, not being argumentative because I agree that Phil is a really good runner but book is definitely faster (probably .2 a second). W/ that said, I see no reason why we can’t work phil into games down the stretch. If it’s done timely, we can see him when it really counts. Unfortunately, we may not get a lot of drives tomoro but let’s hope that’s not the case.

PJ stink. Why are we still talking about this dude? He’s another Crist-like waste of a scholarship.

Then Kelly got hold of him, and like every other QB under him, the talent disappears. It amazes me how the apologists here can’t see how Kelly has failed with all of these highly touted QB’s. It’s different if it’s 1 or 2 in a 10 year span, but with Kelly, it’s been every QB he’s had in the program.

That’s why Tommy Rees was hired. He made ND relevant again.

Reactions: NDinNJ
“he has better wheels than Book. He was one of the top dual threat QBs coming out of high school. rushed for almost 3000 yards in 34 high school games.”

Echo, not being argumentative because I agree that Phil is a really good runner but book is definitely faster (probably .2 a second). W/ that said, I see no reason why we can’t work phil into games down the stretch. If it’s done timely, we can see him when it really counts. Unfortunately, we may not get a lot of drives tomoro but let’s hope that’s not the case.
He may be. I was just responding to the poster who erroneously claimed Phil couldn't run. Nothing further from the truth.

“He may be. I was just responding to the poster who erroneously claimed Phil couldn't run. Nothing further from the truth.”

Not “may be”, he is. I do agree that Phil is a very good runner though. I was just pointing out that he doesn’t “have better wheels than book”, which is what you said. It’s not that close either.

I'll be the first to say that based on the performance today, PJ isn't transferring anywhere and he needs to work his ass off to beat out IB next season. Yes, I realize it's Navy, and the D played lights out in the first half, but outside of his first pass, PJ wasn't that impressive. While I've been a vocal IB critic, it was good to see him stay in the pocket and let things develop. Good job IB and great win Irish.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
I'll be the first to say that based on the performance today, PJ isn't transferring anywhere and he needs to work his ass off to beat out IB next season. Yes, I realize it's Navy, and the D played lights out in the first half, but outside of his first pass, PJ wasn't that impressive. While I've been a vocal IB critic, it was good to see him stay in the pocket and let things develop. Good job IB and great win Irish.
Phil has definitely got a lot of work to do. That's why i wish he'd be allowed to run the offense

Reactions: irish4life888
What are you talking about? He was only allowed to pass the ball once past the line of scrimmage and that one really good pass. After that the playbook was shut and Navy knew it and just loaded the box. I thought that was pretty embarrassing to do to Navy short of just kneeling on every down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT