ADVERTISEMENT

Want to see ND, s best in the Bowl Game? Don't go 8-4

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
Pretty simple, The NY6 are starting to border on meaningless, and every other bowl game is 100% meaningless for blue blood programs.

Now, a team like New Mexico State who have played in 1 Bowl Game the past 40 seasons, well they be playing the game like it is a Super Bowl. That is why the Bowl Games should not go away. But for programs like ND, it is CFP or who cares?

Reactions: Chitown11
Pretty simple, The NY6 are starting to border on meaningless, and every other bowl game is 100% meaningless for blue blood programs.

Now, a team like New Mexico State who have played in 1 Bowl Game the past 40 seasons, well they be playing the game like it is a Super Bowl. That is why the Bowl Games should not go away. But for programs like ND, it is CFP or who cares?

No one is making you watch.

Is NM St. playing in a NY6 bowl? Wow, good for them.

Seriously, though.... The bowls are already largely irrelevant, or should I say 'irrelevant'. I guess it's still a matter of opinion for some. But of course they definitely do not affect the championship in any way, and with a 12 team playoff around the corner, then they really will be irrelevant, beyond any hand-sitter's opinion to the contrary.

But, you know, they're still fun. I like the bowl games even more the more irrelevant they get. Just for the odd match-ups if nothing else. Like for instance playing South Carolina, it should be sweet....

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86

it might be ND’s best 8-4 team ever

Since all bowl games including NY6 are in your words "meaningless..," and regarding Notre Dame, "who cares..," don't watch.

If you care, or a team cares, then a game has meaning. If you don't care, or a team doesn't care, then a game does not have meaning.

That goes for every college football game. Those that have been played and those that will be played.

i care, I want to see ND beat every team they play !

I think it's a good start. Win our bowl this year, go 9-4 and then shoot for a bigger bowl next year. Hard to expect much more than that out of a first year coach who has never been a head coach before. I'd just like to see progress.

Reactions: d1042
Gotta understand the history of the bowls and what their purpose is.

It all started with the Rose Bowl and it was Pasadena's goal to bring tourist attention to their city. It worked (tremendously) and other cities followed suit. So if a bowl is bringing tourism to the host city, it is not a meaningless game. That is also evidenced in the fact that schools (elite or not) continue to accept bowl invitations. ND has turned down bowl invitations before. Other schools are free to do so also (unless of course some conference requirements obligate them to accept).

So the school and localities benefit from the games. That raises the games above the definition of meaningless.

Well, you do have options -- you simply don't have to watch.

This is the type of in depth and hard hitting analysis that keeps me on this site.

Crashing.

• Haha

It all started with the Rose Bowl and it was Pasadena's goal to bring tourist attention to their city. It worked (tremendously) and other cities followed suit. So if a bowl is bringing tourism to the host city, it is not a meaningless game. That is also evidenced in the fact that schools (elite or not) continue to accept bowl invitations. ND has turned down bowl invitations before. Other schools are free to do so also (unless of course some conference requirements obligate them to accept).

So the school and localities benefit from the games. That raises the games above the definition of meaningless.

With bowls taking 6-6 teams and sometime 5-7, we should probably stop saying “playing bowl teams” as some form of achievement. That ship has sailed.
The Rose bowl was started long before there was television and would be played even without television. Most of these so-called bowl games are just TV shows produced by ESPN with minimal involvement from the city. They only exist for ESPN to broadcast something.

The Rose bowl was started long before there was television and would be played even without television. Most of these so-called bowl games are just TV shows produced by ESPN with minimal involvement from the city. They only exist for ESPN to broadcast something.
Thank goodness. I will love the entire CFB Bowl week from December 26-January 2.

CFB on steroids.

Dude, did you just cite the bowl games' putative original commercial purpose, to bring tourism to like, Shreveport Louisiana, for the Bluebonnet bowl.... as some valuable, utilitarian purpose to society and thus the bowl games are not meaningless?

God help this effin' country....

Dude, did you just cite the bowl games' putative original commercial purpose, to bring tourism to like, Shreveport Louisiana, for the Bluebonnet bowl.... as some valuable, utilitarian purpose to society and thus the bowl games are not meaningless?

God help this effin' country....
If the bowls are meaningless, then how do they sustain themselves? If the bowls are meaningless, then why do so many schools/teams accept invitations?

Reactions: NDinNJ
If the bowls are meaningless, then how do they sustain themselves? If the bowls are meaningless, then why do so many schools/teams accept invitations?
That’s a very good point !

I don't know how to answer that. I don't know how to answer a question that stupid, or that disingenuous. Which is probably how you want to it. You seem to really want to carry the day in this truly mind-numbing, soul-crushing debate, this semantic debate over whether bowl games ought or ought not be considered or verbally characterized as 'meaningless' or not. And what sort of exact word choice is in order when speaking about them. Going so far as to cite their economic importance to the host city, and you've followed that up with an equally compelling mention of the mere fact that teams actually play in them rather than snub them altogether, as further strong evidence of their meaningfulness, which is I suppose is the word one would use. Or their lack of meaninglessness. Their significance, perhaps? Does that work for you?

I don't think anyone really agrees with you. Except for a pretty small cadre of reactionary, old-school hardcore CFB fans. The rest of the country at large, including other sports fans, probably considers bowl games to be more or less meaningless. If they think anything at all. Not that they should all be put to the sword. But that they don't really matter, in any real grand or larger sense. That they're just exhibition games for fun, something to watch on ESPN on a Thursday night in the month of December when you get down to it. And who doesn't want more CFB??

Ultimately, whether or not something is meaningful, though it pains me somewhat to admit it, is most likely a matter of opinion. Or something like that I don't even know anymore.....

And the PURE FOOTBALL purpose of the Rose Bowl was to match the best team from the "East" with the best team from the West Coast as a means of determining the best team in the country.

Since the wire polls didn't exist until 1936, all championships that were awarded were MYTHICAL, and there were, in fact, a MULITPLICITY of them.

The Rose Bowl was just one more way of "deciding" the best team.

Money, recruiting, visibility, record improvement, morale.

Teams exist to play games. IT'S ANOTHER GAME.

Why not?

Reactions: raycyrx
I don't know how to answer that. I don't know how to answer a question that stupid, or that disingenuous. Which is probably how you want to it. You seem to really want to carry the day in this truly mind-numbing, soul-crushing debate, this semantic debate over whether bowl games ought or ought not be considered or verbally characterized as 'meaningless' or not. And what sort of exact word choice is in order when speaking about them. Going so far as to cite their economic importance to the host city, and you've followed that up with an equally compelling mention of the mere fact that teams actually play in them rather than snub them altogether, as further strong evidence of their meaningfulness, which is I suppose is the word one would use. Or their lack of meaninglessness. Their significance, perhaps? Does that work for you?

I don't think anyone really agrees with you. Except for a pretty small cadre of reactionary, old-school hardcore CFB fans. The rest of the country at large, including other sports fans, probably considers bowl games to be more or less meaningless. If they think anything at all. Not that they should all be put to the sword. But that they don't really matter, in any real grand or larger sense. That they're just exhibition games for fun, something to watch on ESPN on a Thursday night in the month of December when you get down to it. And who doesn't want more CFB??

Ultimately, whether or not something is meaningful, though it pains me somewhat to admit it, is most likely a matter of opinion. Or something like that I don't even know anymore.....
If you don't know how to answer such a stupid or disingenuous question, you sure put a lot of typing into an answer.

If no one agrees with me... then we are back to the same question... how can the bowls not be money losers and how come so many schools accept invitations if they get nothing from the experience?

No one is making you watch.
Oh, look the Freeman lady boys who complained 5 years non-stop about winning 11 games and losing in the CFP. Are now PSYCHED about finishing off an 8-4 season by playing a 2nd tier SEC East team in the Gator Bowl!

Don't worry about me NOT watching the Gator Bowl, if I wanted to watch the Freeman. Golden defenses make another Ex-OU QB famous, I could just watch a replay of the USC game,

Last edited:
Oh, look the Freeman lady boys who complained 5 years non-stop about winning 11 games and losing in the CFP. Are now PSYCHED about finishing off an 8-4 season by playing a 2nd tier SEC East team in the Gator Bowl!

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
What other first year coach did as well?

If you don't know how to answer such a stupid or disingenuous question, you sure put a lot of typing into an answer.

If no one agrees with me... then we are back to the same question... how can the bowls not be money losers and how come so many schools accept invitations if they get nothing from the experience?
I know, that's what it took to come up with some kind of sensible answer to your gibberish. Not exactly gibberish, but more like a child asking his parents 'why?' over and over again to infinity....

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

As I said, if you don't care about the game, don't watch. I was not one of the anti-Kelly crowd, FYI. Don't be a dick.

As I said, if you don't care about the game, don't watch. I was not one of the anti-Kelly crowd, FYI. Don't be a dick
As I added above, I'm not watching the game, because I am not interested in seeing the Freeman Golden defense, turning another ex-OU QB into a combination of Roger Staubach, Tim Tebow and Joe Burrow.

But I will still be giving my opinion about the 8-4 season, and there is nothing anyone can do about it, This season was a disappointment, a setback and there is nothing the Gator Bowl, win, lose or draw that is going to change that,

As I added above, I'm not watching the game, because I am not interested in seeing the Freeman Golden defense, turning another ex-OU QB into a combination of Roger Staubach, Tim Tebow and Joe Burrow.

But I will still be giving my opinion about the 8-4 season, and there is nothing anyone can do about it, This season was a disappointment, a setback and there is nothing the Gator Bowl, win, lose or draw that is going to change that,
And we will continue not caring

You must have really hated Lou Holtz after ND went 5-6 in his first year.

"But I will still be giving my opinion about the 8-4 season, and there is nothing anyone can do about it"

Absolutely there is something we can do about it -- it is called the ignore function. That way, we don't to worry about what your opinions are.

Reactions: raycyrx and NDSMC78

Don't worry about me NOT watching the Gator Bowl, if I wanted to watch the Freeman. Golden defenses make another Ex-OU QB famous, I could just watch a replay of the USC game,
My God are you stupid. If you can't see that the program is trending upward you are truly an idiot. Recruiting is at a high we haven't seen in over a decade. ND went 8-4 with a QB that wouldn't start on most P5 programs.

I'll be honest, I was doubting Rees, but after looking at what he was able to do with Pyne this year, I've changed my mind on Rees. I'm still not sold on his play calling, but he has sold me on his QB development.

Reactions: Kelso86 and raycyrx
My God are you stupid. If you can't see that the program is trending upward you are truly an idiot. Recruiting is at a high we haven't seen in over a decade. ND went 8-4 with a QB that wouldn't start on most P5 programs.

I'll be honest, I was doubting Rees, but after looking at what he was able to do with Pyne this year, I've changed my mind on Rees. I'm still not sold on his play calling, but he has sold me on his QB development.
I agree with you regarding MF and recruiting, and Tommy Rees. I do not agree with what some say here about Brian Kelly's 12 years of coaching in South Bend.

I agree with you regarding MF and recruiting, and Tommy Rees. I do not agree with what some say here about Brian Kelly's 12 years of coaching in South Bend.
Kelly is a very good coach, I don't think anyone denies that. ND got as much out of him as they could. It was clear, he wasn't going to win a championship at ND. My biggest issue with Kelly was the team rarely showing up in big games and "shopping down a different aisle".

Reactions: raycyrx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT