ADVERTISEMENT

USC v ND

beachcardinal

All Star
Jan 30, 2006
I keep looking at this game and the only conclusion I can reach is that both teams will lose. I am just slightly less sad about the decline at ND than I am the decline at SC. Two top programs struggling. Oh for the days when, year after year, this game meant something,

Reactions: Kelso86 and Java65
Beach - Alabama game aside, I've actually been impressed with USC this season. Best team since 2011? But yea, Ara and McKay aren't walking through that door.

Beach - Alabama game aside, I've actually been impressed with USC this season. Best team since 2011? But yea, Ara and McKay aren't walking through that door.

Sadly for ND - USC seems to be improving, will be blown away if USC does not win this year's game
(and it's in So Cal)

Reactions: Java65
I don't see any team on our schedule that I have any confidence in. In fact the only game I think we have any chance at all is Army. I'm not even watching the Miami game because I don't see any way this team wins.

Reactions: anahman
I don't think USC has been impressive for the most part, but more so than ND, and they are trending up. I think this game will be greatly influenced by each team's game the week before.

If, and it's a big question mark right now, the Irish OL and DL can see steady improvement each week leading up to USC, then it will be a game. If no improvement, USC will cruise.

USC stayed with a quarterback who was a poor matchup against Bama....perfect scenario to go to the bench and get a dual purpose quarterback....and mix it up. Bama figured that guy out early...yet USC stubbornly stayed the course. That game should have been much, much closer from a talent perspective.

USC looks like it has turned things around. I am starting to doubt that the Trojans will be looking for a new coach.

Reactions: end_23
I sat in the stands at the coliseum in the SC alum section when ND put the nails in Larry Smith's coffin and hope that SC returns the favor and snuffs out Kelly's candle with a blowout win.

I sat in the stands at the coliseum in the SC alum section when ND put the nails in Larry Smith's coffin and hope that SC returns the favor and snuffs out Kelly's candle with a blowout win.
Security staff isn't suppose to be watching the games. Do better!

If, and it's a big question mark right now, the Irish OL and DL can see steady improvement each week leading up to USC, then it will be a game. If no improvement, USC will cruise.
Maybe. but we have been playing tomato cans. Let ee how we do against Cal, another weak team, but better then some.

Wow. Hoping that we get blown out by our arch rivals. Great fan you are.

Wow. Hoping that we get blown out by our arch rivals. Great fan you are.
Just as I defended those who want to keep Kelly I'll defend this. Some fans want this to be the worst season possible because they believe that will force ND to fire Kelly. They believe that Kelly can't take ND to the next level and a change is needed.

Just as I defended those who want to keep Kelly I'll defend this. Some fans want this to be the worst season possible because they believe that will force ND to fire Kelly. They believe that Kelly can't take ND to the next level and a change is needed.

No genuine fans of ND would ever root for ND to lose. That kind of mentality belongs in pro sports. Wishing for 18-19 year old college kids to lose games because you want the coach canned is shameful. Go follow the NFL.

Last edited:
No genuine fans of ND would ever root for ND to lose. That kind of mentality belongs in pro sports. Wishing for 18-19 year old college kids to lose games because you want the coach canned is shameful. Go follow the NFL.
Ok, that's your opinion. I bet people those who disagree would argue this way. No true ND fan would want ND to continue on winning 8 games a year and settle for mediocrity. The kind of mentality that average is "good enough" has no place at ND. Subjecting future ND players to woeful coaching is shameful.

Everyone has different opinions and personally I don't see calling someone's loyalties into question because they don't agree with your views correct. I understand both points of view for sure.

No real serious fan ever, in their heart, roots for their team to lose. If you have that ability you are more of a casual fan than you realize. Even if you might think rationally that a loss might be beneficial, when the game starts you can't do it.

No real serious fan ever, in their heart, roots for their team to lose. If you have that ability you are more of a casual fan than you realize. Even if you might think rationally that a loss might be beneficial, when the game starts you can't do it.
Again, that's your opinion. I could argue no real fan could want to see the program continue in this direction.

I never root against ND but I can understand the other point of view and I can't say who is a real fan and who isn't.

Shouldn't have to be said.

Ok, that's your opinion. I bet people those who disagree would argue this way. No true ND fan would want ND to continue on winning 8 games a year and settle for mediocrity. The kind of mentality that average is "good enough" has no place at ND. Subjecting future ND players to woeful coaching is shameful.

Everyone has different opinions and personally I don't see calling someone's loyalties into question because they don't agree with your views correct. I understand both points of view for sure.

You should be embarrassed to admit that you want college kids to lose to gratify your own desire for a new coach. Go follow the NFL.

You should be embarrassed to admit that you want college kids to lose to gratify your own desire for a new coach. Go follow the NFL.
In his defense Java didn't say that, he just said he could understand the other side's rationale. In fact, in a later thread he said the he, himself, could not root against ND.

So you claim to be an ND fan yet you never want to them to be anything but average. Go cheer for UM.

Your problem is you are narrow minded and intolerant, in addition to poor reading comprehension. Please point out where I said I wasn't pulling for ND? In fact I stated the exact opposite, I'm just able to see others point's of view.

Reactions: end_23
It's a legitimate conundrum for ND fans. If we knew the outcomes for certainty, would you root for a 2-8 season that guaranteed Kelly leaving followed by a great hire, or would you root for winning out that guaranteed Kelly remaining as HC for at least next season? As much as I would like a new HC next year, personally, I will never root against ND...just can't do it. But, I don't think that makes me more or less of a fan than someone who is willing to suffer the short term pain for the long term benefit.

Reactions: Java65
It's a legitimate conundrum for ND fans. If we knew the outcomes for certainty, would you root for a 2-8 season that guaranteed Kelly leaving followed by a great hire, or would you root for winning out that guaranteed Kelly remaining as HC for at least next season? As much as I would like a new HC next year, personally, I will never root against ND...just can't do it. But, I don't think that makes me more or less of a fan than someone who is willing to suffer the short term pain for the long term benefit.
This is exactly where I stand. I won't root against ND but I get why others do.

In a way, it relieves the pressure of being a fan. After a win, you can't help but be happy. And after a loss, if you already have decided a change is for the best, that change inches just a wee bit closer.

When we were 0-6 in 2007 I was rooting just as hard to win the 7th game as any other ND game in the last 40 plus years. It's what we do.

Reactions: Classic Irish

There is no certainty, and in fact there is no likelihood, that Kelly will be replaced even if we lose that game, or for that matter, all of our games. The notion that someone thinks it is appropriate to root against ND, because losing will effectuate a change of the head coach, is nothing more than speculation.
The players on the team are Notre Dame men. They deserve our support no matter who is coaching or what the team's record is.

Ask the players which fan they want on their side.The fan who has their back through good times and bad or the fan who wants the losses to pile up or even the fan who threatens not to watch or attend any more games during this rough patch. The game is not about the fan's egos. We know which fans the players prefer.

apparently the fans the elite players want on their side wear crimson and silver or red n white or maze n blue.

I've got a little off topic question for you beach. I know you follow recruiting a little out there in the west coast and was wondering about a player out there. heard rumors that borderline 5 star CA CB Thomas Graham is now a silent commit to our irish and wondering if you've heard anything. would be a great get as he is a true lockdown corner with 4.4 speed. he made a claim for the number one spot for CBs at the opening this summer by shutting down about every WR he covered

I've got a little off topic question for you beach. I know you follow recruiting a little out there in the west coast and was wondering about a player out there. heard rumors that borderline 5 star CA CB Thomas Graham is now a silent commit to our irish and wondering if you've heard anything. would be a great get as he is a true lockdown corner with 4.4 speed. he made a claim for the number one spot for CBs at the opening this summer by shutting down about every WR he covered
Sorry I have not. But if I do I will remember to post. If fact let me post the question.

thanks anyway for taking my question. even though the dad of Thomas played for your USC Trojans he was sold on the irish after there spring visit it seemed and he has been pushing his son a little recently to be irish

Southern Cal is on a roll after beating California . There offense is rolling . Tough game for us. . Southern Cal could meet Washington in PAC 12 championship and if Southern Cal beats Washington ,would Huskies get a Final 4 berth

nothing against southern cal but I just don't see them beating Washington. the huskies are really good on both sides of the ball and I just don't see anybody in the PAC 12 giving them much of a game the rest of the way. the huskies defense is one of the best I've seen all year in college football

nothing against southern cal but I just don't see them beating Washington. the huskies are really good on both sides of the ball and I just don't see anybody in the PAC 12 giving them much of a game the rest of the way. the huskies defense is one of the best I've seen all year in college football
We will ose be at least two tds against Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT