ADVERTISEMENT

USC v. LSU

So it's at least somewhat ND related? It's not just pure spite for BK? Of course it's mainly spite. But not totally. ND stands to gain something out of it too....
BK was the problem, 100%. He's not a championship coach. He always finds a way to lose the big games, and I'm going to enjoy the day LSU fires his a$$

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
Whoops. Missed this thread somehow.

I always have to root for the teams we play, stops the pundits from bitching about us ONLY playing 3 top 25 teams. Don’t remember them saying that about others.

Plus can’t help but root against BK.

BK was the problem, 100%. He's not a championship coach. He always finds a way to lose the big games, and I'm going to enjoy the day LSU fires his a$$
He is just $100 million coach.

Freeman's better
lol what

BKs experience and track record make him the FAR better HC at this point in their respective careers. Its not even arguable.

In fact, MF is still benefiting from all the positive ways BK impacted the culture and changed it into a winning one at ND.

Every time a HC of BKs caliber leaves an institution, it takes a good 3+ seasons before the cultural "leftover effect" to completely subside and then you figure out how healthy your program really is.

None of this to take away anything from MFs career so far. The product on the field was solid last night, and he's starting to show a track record of identifying and developing talent at a high level (at least on the defensive side of the ball). And ND had a really impressive workman like victory against a good team in week 1.

STILL, we need to improve the talent on the roster in a BIG way (ESPECIALLY at the offensive skill positions) so that the program has more than just a remote chance to win some playoff games and ultimately a national title.

Last edited:
lol what

BKs experience and track record make him the FAR better HC at this point in their respective careers. Its not even arguable.

In fact, MF is still benefiting from all the positive ways BK impacted the culture and changed it into a winning one at ND.

Every time a HC of BKs caliber leaves an institution, it takes a good 3+ seasons before the cultural "leftover effect" to completely subside and then you figure out how healthy your program really is.

None of this to take away anything from MFs career so far. The product on the field was solid last night, and he's starting to show a track record of identifying and developing talent at a high level. And ND had a really impressive workman like victory against a good team in week 1.

STILL, we need to improve the talent on the roster in a BIG way (ESPECIALLY at the offensive skill positions) so that the program has more than just a remote chance to win some playoff games and ultimately a national title.

I think times might have changed on BK. Freeman had a much better record compared to BK’s first two vs MF first 2 at ND. He is recruiting better. He has won both bowls he was the actual coach at. He is a better representative of the University. Yes, BK has a longer career and it’s been very good but I think ND is going to see it was a blessing BK ducked out in the middle of the night and ran from the challenge for something he really didn’t need one more bar of gold on his thousands of bars of gold. Just MO

Reactions: NDinNJ
lol what

None of this to take away anything from MFs career so far. The product on the field was solid last night, and he's starting to show a track record of identifying and developing talent at a high level. And ND had a really impressive workman like victory against a good team in week 1.

He is 20-9 with a program that was a few years removed from winning a Natty. He was in the playoff hunt but then lost to a below .500 A&M team. Been blown out by 20+ 3 times Tennessee, Georgia, FSU, but please go on how he is a better coach than Freeman.

I think times might have changed on BK. Freeman had a much better record compared to BK’s first two vs MF first 2 at ND. He is recruiting better. He has won both bowls he was the actual coach at. He is a better representative of the University. Yes, BK has a longer career and it’s been very good but I think ND is going to see it was a blessing BK ducked out in the middle of the night and ran from the challenge for something he really didn’t need one more bar of gold on his thousands of bars of gold. Just MO
Towards the end I do think ND and Kelly were in a tough spot. Kelly had taken ND as far as he could and likely wasn't going to win a title. But at the same time, he did well enough to keep ND competitive and ran a clean program and it would have been wrong to fire Kelly in my opinion. The way Kelly left ND was no doubt distasteful, especially when he took the job while visiting the Meriweathers. But to your point, I do think it was for the best and thank goodness Freeman was already on staff making it a smoother transition. Had they hired a new HFC and staff entirely, a lot of recruits would have been lost.

No one cares about F+ & SP+. They mean nothing.
Its a similar system to what vegas oddsmakers are using to set their lines. How is that not meaningful? How is that not worth discussing and using as a resource to compare and contrast team quality?

lol what

None of this to take away anything from MFs career so far. The product on the field was solid last night, and he's starting to show a track record of identifying and developing talent at a high level (at least on the defensive side of the ball). And ND had a really impressive workman like victory against a good team in week 1.

In terms of history, Kellys better

In terms of who I would take today, right now, and the future, easy MF. Not even close

In terms of history, Kellys better

In terms of who I would take today, right now, and the future, easy MF. Not even close
Yes in terms of their respective histories kelly is better (far better) which makes him the far likelier bet to be the better coach going forward. Which is also why he's one of the highest paid coaches in the business. The market is already dictating who the better coach is presently and who the better coach likely is to be going forward.

If Marcus Freeman produces a top 10 F+ finish in 2024, he'll likely get renewed at ND, and that contract wont be anywhere near BKs 10/$100M+. Why? Because Brian Kelly's track record nearly guarantees an annual contender while the jury is still very much out on what kind of coach Marcus Freeman is.

Last edited:
Yes in terms of their respective histories kelly is better (far better) which makes him the far likelier bet to be the better coach going forward. Which is also why he's one of the highest paid coaches in the business. The market is already dictating who the better coach is presently and who the better coach likely is to be going forward.
In terms of history BK took a top 5 LSU team into Kyle Field against a 4 win A&M team and with the playoffs on the line his team got blown out. Freeman took a top 10 ND team & came away with a double digit win.

Its a similar system to what vegas oddsmakers are using to set their lines. How is that not meaningful? How is that not worth discussing and using as a resource to compare and contrast team quality?
Because if you do your research, Vegas is only 52% correct. They set the lines to maximize betting on both sides to guarantee a profit. Vegas doesn't care who wins, they only care about making a profit.

How did that A&M line work out?

If Marcus Freeman produces a top 10 F+ finish in 2024, he'll likely get renewed at ND, and that contract wont be anywhere near BKs 10/$100M+. Why? Because Brian Kelly's track record nearly guarantees an annual contender while the jury is still very much out on what kind of coach Marcus Freeman is.
Bk is the better coach in the past. I would take MF this season, next season and in the future easily. It's not close.

Using your logic, you would take Jimbo Fisher and Ed Orgeron over MF.

Right now MF is 20 and 7 with 8 top 25 wins. I like his chances of being really good and to keep getting better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT