ADVERTISEMENT

Under Armor extension?

NDDadx3

ND Expert
Dec 20, 2020
From 18Stripes:

“When Notre Dame signed the deal with Under Armour, athletic director Jack Swarbrick said, “We don’t believe we’re partnering with a $2 billion company. We’re partnering with a $20 billion company.”

As of this writing, Under Armour is worth $3.80 billion.

Despite that initial surge from Under Armour in the months leading up to and after the signing with Notre Dame, it was Adidas that began its own comeback.”

“the current athletic director’s son is leading the Under Armour North American Sports Marketing Collegiate Division. That would be awkward to lose that Notre Dame account.”

I’m happy with Under Armour. If ND isn’t going to sign with Nike, then they should stay with UA.

Reactions: mirer03
I’m happy with Under Armour. If ND isn’t going to sign with Nike, then they should stay with UA.
I’d say from both a buzz but perspective and a fan gear perspective they’ve been underwhelming and adidas is in position to pay more and is a more on trend brand. I’ve never been a fan of Nike and I would think ND should not be a “follower” in this space. I also can’t relate to jumpman on a football uniform, unless you are UNC

Reactions: IrishMike409
I’d say from both a buzz but perspective and a fan gear perspective they’ve been underwhelming and adidas is in position to pay more and is a more on trend brand. I’ve never been a fan of Nike and I would think ND should not be a “follower” in this space. I also can’t relate to jumpman on a football uniform, unless you are UNC
I can’t understand this perspective. Under Armor is more expensive, more stylish, and more practical from a clothing perspective. Perhaps adidas is better for equipment? I don’t know much about equipment, but Adidas is certainly viewed by many in the middle class as a poor man’s (or hood) Under Armor.

I personally don’t think you can do much better than Under Armor for book store clothes and overall brand. The better brands don’t make equipment, so that’s out. I do admit I know nothing about equipment. Hell, if Wrangler made the safest helmets it would probably be worth the move. While it’s all about brand and image nowadays, I’m not sure why a kid would want to wear a perceived cheap brand like Adidas. Under Armor just seems like a small step up to me, a tad bit more sophisticated, at least where I come from.

Maybe Nike could be a good compromise as they do make some more expensive clothing and seem to bridge the different socioeconomic ranges. In the end it’ll be a money move regardless of our thoughts.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like it if we could sign with Red Ball Jets. I always felt like I could run faster and jump higher when I laced up my Red Ball Jets, and I think they were made in Mishawaka.

I’ve never licked adidas brands. To me it’s all cheaply made stuff. UA is just great for me, but I do like Nike better.
I get you but UA is off brand for kids, they don’t want it, it’s old people stuff. Adidas, champion, Nike are popular.

huh?
I get you but UA is off brand for kids, they don’t want it, it’s old people stuff. Adidas, champion, Nike are popular.
citation needed.

IT only happened once or twice (2005 The Shirt) but I developed an allergy to some addidas era shirts. I doubt the fabric in one is better than the other but at least UA is free of embarrassing political cringes.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Personally, I'd like it if we could sign with Red Ball Jets. I always felt like I could run faster and jump higher when I laced up my Red Ball Jets, and I think they were made in Mishawaka.
You may be onto something

The fan gear has been a HUGE upgrade from adidas. Other than shoes they have been great. I'd also like them to stop with the coach exclusive gear

So ND is still virtue signaling about Nike? 'Cause of their sweatshops! I remember when I was younger I swore off Nike, pretty much forever, and I've stuck with it. But it wasn't because of the deplorable working conditions, they all do that shit. It's because Nike was so popular, and everyone wanted Nike stuff so badly, and so unself-consciously, that I didn't want to support a brand that inspired that sort of fanatical consumer obsession. I always liked New Balance better anyway. And I don't wear track suits.....

Oh, and UA effin' sucks. Like if there's a company worse than Nike, way, way worse than Nike, it's Under Armor. They're like the anti-Nike. At least Nike was so popular because all their shoes and clothes are so sleek and attractive and atheistically desirable. While UA is pure shit....

I have a friend that works for UA.. so I have a lot of apparel.. love it all.. shoes leave a lot to be desired.....

I can tell y'all this..

I was in the game a long time and ultimately was the decision maker on equipment, jersey and pants....etc..

Couple little notes...
Helmets...
For many years Riddell had a licensing agreement with the NCAA and the NFL.
BUT...YOU CAN'T make a kid or adult where a helmet that doesn't feel right.
If you noticed the Riddell helmets said Riddell on the tag at the top bar of the face mask.
Other brands had to put the team name on the tag.

Player X wearing a Riddell would say Riddell.
Player Y wearing a Schutt or other non Riddell brand would say Irish or Steelers or whatever team name.

Just an FYI

As far as jersey and pants .....

Nike and UA over the last ten years are the best.
Without question.

Adidas is "ok"

Russell Athletic was better than Adidas and did several SEC schools( and others) but that ship has sailed.

Adidas without question had the best cleats

Last edited:
I have a friend that works for UA.. so I have a lot of apparel.. love it all.. shoes leave a lot to be desired.....
It’s definitely the preferred brand of boomers and weekend golfers - corporate America full of guys walking around in UA polos. High schools and colleges, not so much.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It’s definitely the preferred brand of boomers and weekend golfers - corporate America full of guys walking around in UA polos. High schools and colleges, not so much.
Something we should know about in how you handle your free time?
😯😯😯😯

So ND is still virtue signaling about Nike? 'Cause of their sweatshops! I remember when I was younger I swore off Nike, pretty much forever, and I've stuck with it. But it wasn't because of the deplorable working conditions, they all do that shit. It's because Nike was so popular, and everyone wanted Nike stuff so badly, and so unself-consciously, that I didn't want to support a brand that inspired that sort of fanatical consumer obsession. I always liked New Balance better anyway. And I don't wear track suits.....

Oh, and UA effin' sucks. Like if there's a company worse than Nike, way, way worse than Nike, it's Under Armor. They're like the anti-Nike. At least Nike was so popular because all their shoes and clothes are so sleek and attractive and atheistically desirable. While UA is pure shit....
I want UA just for this reason

I want UA just for this reason
I'm pretty sure someone like you who is generally middle-class American trash in all respects, that a brand like UA would naturally appeal to you. UA's crude, comparatively inelegant aesthetic was probably developed with thugs like you in mind, now that you've brought it up.

It's not like Nike is that special, though the swoosh is a fairly compelling, even beautiful logo. And UA's shitty logo is sort of military/martial-looking. After all it started out as a football specific brand, so what would you expect. Shitty little undershirts, that's the humble origins of this truly garbage brand....

I agree with you but personally I don’t care for adidas and I’m not sure anyone wears Champion anymore.

Faust teams also wore Champion. I loved those uniforms but most people hate them.
I liked the Faust era uniforms.

That said, I read this thread to understand the relevance of the clothing supplier. I'm no more informed now than when I started reading. I really can't imagine anything less important than the clothing supplier.

That said, I read this thread to understand the relevance of the clothing supplier. I'm no more informed now than when I started reading. I really can't imagine anything less important than the clothing supplier.
There's much less important things

If you came to this board to be educated (on anything) then your first thing to learn is look elsewhere. Google “100 greatest books” then head to your public library. Report back in a year.

Reactions: BGI User 756
If you came to this board to be educated (on anything) then your first thing to learn is look elsewhere. Google “100 greatest books” then head to your public library. Report back in a year.
Whoa, that was a totally bitchy reply! Though admittedly, what the F did that dude say, he wanted to understand the relevance of the clothing supplier, which is almost like a borderline gibberish sentence that has no meaning. So anybody would get a little flustered at something like that.

Ask him to study up on the liar's paradox and get back to us. That's sort of a nonsense intellectual exercise to begin with, so it'd be perfect for him.....

After I read all 100 of the greatest books per Google and find zero reference to collegiate football clothing suppliers, will you then attempt to answer a sincere question or will you stick with ad hominem approach?

After I read all 100 of the greatest books per Google and find zero reference to collegiate football clothing suppliers, will you then attempt to answer a sincere question or will you stick with ad hominem approach?
The answer lies within.

If it were me I'd stick with ad hominem. It's just easier and funner that way. Besides, it was an impossible to question to answer. What is the relevance of football uniforms? Or rather the 'supplier'. That's an imponderable question....

What is the relevance? When you look good you feel good, when you feel good you play good.

I'm pretty sure someone like you who is generally middle-class American trash in all respects, that a brand like UA would naturally appeal to you. UA's crude, comparatively inelegant aesthetic was probably developed with thugs like you in mind, now that you've brought it up.

It's not like Nike is that special, though the swoosh is a fairly compelling, even beautiful logo. And UA's shitty logo is sort of military/martial-looking. After all it started out as a football specific brand, so what would you expect. Shitty little undershirts, that's the humble origins of this truly garbage brand....
love how mouthy you are on here, but not at tailgaters. LOL. How is the hand modeling gig? Still doing squats and picking up tennis balls with no hands?

If it were me I'd stick with ad hominem. It's just easier and funner that way. Besides, it was an impossible to question to answer. What is the relevance of football uniforms? Or rather the 'supplier'. That's an imponderable question....
Nonsense. There are all kinds of opinions being posted here on why UA sucks and Adidas is the way to go or vice versa. Opinions are, by nature, subjective, but there is some reasoning behind them to. My question is, what is that reasoning?

Is Champion making football equipment again? I liked when ND wore Champion back during the Holtz era.

I think ND wore Champion jerseys for many years before Holtz.

Agree on the champion brand. SAP. But my one complaint about Holtz era clothing is that the unis looked black or at least they did on our rabbit ears tv.

today's jersey are fine but there is too much flare.

the mustard Michigan colored pants were a nice change of pace in 2012 but I think it is has run its course.

FYR

You'd be surprised then just how incredibly important the look of the uniforms are to 17 year old kids. They're just kids.
I get that...
But how different can navy blue jerseys with white numbers (or vice versa) with gold pants be whether made by Adidas or UA?

Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT