ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy who?

Yeah sure, but facts are facts. It was the same offense run with different personnel.

Buchner is 3rd string at Bama
Pyne is 2nd? string at ASU
Coan was accurate, but a complete statue

Why have our QBs been so lousy? Who was responsible for their recruitment/development? OH, it was Tommy Rees for most of that.

His play calling at times left a lot to be desired.

I don’t hate the guy at all. I love that he stayed on at ND last year when shit was hitting the fan. However, I’m NOW not upset that he isn’t here. You can say all you want that it’s the same offense, but Tommy Rees DID NOT put together last Saturday’s game plan. Just throw it to Mayer regardless, isn’t an option this year.

No offense intended

Last edited:
I think there are a lot of comparisons with DP. Hartman has more experience than DP. But they are both limited in upside. Neither are overly mobile and on the shorter side. Both have moxie and leadership ability. I do think Hartman is superior to DP; I just don’t know if the gap is as large as some ND fans believe it is based on his film and what he’s shown. We will know vs Ohio State. If their db’s play catch technique Hartman might throw multiple interceptions. He makes a living off back shoulder and underthrown balls. He doesn’t have that extra snap in his passes like a Clausen or Golson. He doesn’t have the big arm to push it across the field and make elite throws. He is a seasoned vet with good confidence and charisma. He is a captain and a guy you can trust. I don’t know if he’s a world beater like Caleb Williams or even has the upside of a CJ Carr or Kenny Minchey. I like Sam a lot and hope he wins every game. He’s a hard guy not to like especially in a gold helmet, but let’s not forget he’s likely a 4th or 5th round pick even if he goes 12-0. He has limits to his game and there are levels to QB’ing. That doesn’t mean he can’t win every game but he can’t do it alone.

I honestly have a hard time seeing Hartman in the NFL at all. He’s small and has a weak arm. However, he’s a good college QB and he’s better than anyone we’ve trotted out there in more than a couple years. There’s reason, at this point, to have some optimism regarding our team. Sure, we could lose some games, but there isn’t ONE definite loss IMO either. No team on our schedule looks invincible

Parker called a very good game. I didn’t see the false starts we usually have. I didn’t see the TO’s. I didn’t see the constant looks to the sideline. It just ran smooth as hell.
The team just looked incredibly well prepared from top to bottom.

I know Harry Hiestand was considered the second coming of Joe Moore to many on this board, but I always thought his offensive lines had a tendency to make too many dumb penalties -- like false starts after a long pass gave us a first down inside the opponents' 10 yard line or get whipped on a 3rd and short play. Granted it was Navy, but I thought Joe Rudolph had the line well prepared.

As you said, there wasn't all that looking over at the sideline trying to figure out what to next. Credit to Parker and Guidugli and Hartman.

I thought the defense played very well, although I thought Navy got outside a bit more than I thought they should have and sometimes the tackling was suspect.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The team just looked incredibly well prepared from top to bottom.

I know Harry Hiestand was considered the second coming of Joe Moore to many on this board, but I always thought his offensive lines had a tendency to make too many dumb penalties -- like false starts after a long pass gave us a first down inside the opponents' 10 yard line or get whipped on a 3rd and short play. Granted it was Navy, but I thought Joe Rudolph had the line well prepared.

As you said, there wasn't all that looking over at the sideline trying to figure out what to next. Credit to Parker and Guidugli and Hartman.

I thought the defense played very well, although I thought Navy got outside a bit more than I thought they should have and sometimes the tackling was suspect.
Well said. Especially the o line under heistand. I recall many times were in 3rd and short and get whooped for a 3 yard loss. That didn’t happen Saturday.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT