ADVERTISEMENT

Winter workouts.

THUNDERSTRUCK111

Posts Like A Champion
Feb 21, 2012
We Need a new thread to discuss

Or argue over lol.
Any one have any thing to share regarding winter workouts ? Early enrollees ? The new strength coach? Who has filled out and ready to compete ? Who looks really explosive and fast. Thoughts ?

We Need a new thread to discuss

Or argue over lol.
Any one have any thing to share regarding winter workouts ? Early enrollees ? The new strength coach? Who has filled out and ready to compete ? Who looks really explosive and fast. Thoughts ?
Sorry, I don't have anything to share at this point, but I am sure we will start to hear some things once spring practices get going (weight, speed, position changes, etc). ND hasn't announced a start date for practices but they did say the Blue-Gold game is set for April 20th.

Being the best worker outer doesn’t really have any merit on who will be the stud on the field next year. Just wait until fall.

Stories will develop once Spring practice begins, but there are always some interesting developments going into Spring. Two in particular stood out to me. Wagner’s reported weight was somewhere around 288, and that’s still concerning for a tackle; and especially concerning because good weight gain and maintaining good weight gain has been a huge focus for Wagner and the trainers since the day he arrived on campus.
The other nagging what if that I have is regarding Querby Lambert. He’s one hell of an impressive young football player, who already looks to have the size and skill and toughness to compete as a true freshman for the starting RT position. He is not an early enrollee, so the what if game starts playing in my head. Right now the RT is likely a battle between 5yr senior Baker and Wagner, but what if…..

Stories will develop once Spring practice begins, but there are always some interesting developments going into Spring. Two in particular stood out to me. Wagner’s reported weight was somewhere around 288, and that’s still concerning for a tackle; and especially concerning because good weight gain and maintaining good weight gain has been a huge focus for Wagner and the trainers since the day he arrived on campus.
The other nagging what if that I have is regarding Querby Lambert. He’s one hell of an impressive young football player, who already looks to have the size and skill and toughness to compete as a true freshman for the starting RT position. He is not an early enrollee, so the what if game starts playing in my head. Right now the RT is likely a battle between 5yr senior Baker and Wagner, but what if…..
Speaking of Wagner. Let talk hypotheticals.

If he can’t get close to 300 what do we do with him ? Is there a chance he moves position or does he just end up being a rotational player ?

I will be interested keeping an eye on the wide receiver room this spring and summer in terms of overall health.

There was a significant amount of hamstring issues this past year for one specific group. It makes you wonder if there was an issue that could’ve began in the strength and conditioning aspect of the season, whether that is due to overtraining, lack of stretching, or something along those lines, who knows.

Either way, we need that group healthy this year.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I will be interested keeping an eye on the wide receiver room this spring and summer in terms of overall health.

There was a significant amount of hamstring issues this past year for one specific group. It makes you wonder if there was an issue that could’ve began in the strength and conditioning aspect of the season, whether that is due to overtraining, lack of stretching, or something along those lines, who knows.

None of the above, IMO.

Hitting those stretchy bands hard this winter!

Reactions: Holycrossover3
Speaking of Wagner. Let talk hypotheticals.

If he can’t get close to 300 what do we do with him ? Is there a chance he moves position or does he just end up being a rotational player ?
I personally think this is a make or break year for Wagner. Staff and others rave about his technique and quick feet and a skill set perfectly suited for right tackle. Strength and raw power are more important than weight per se, and I don’t know what combination of weight and strength and power is needed for him to be successful. Some of the best tackles in the NFL weight around 315, and not at all sure he can’t be successful in college around 290.

That said, Baker got the nod over him in the Bowl game, and I think Lambert is going to compete hard for starting from the day he arrives. If he doesn’t beat both for the starting job this year, I just don’t ever see him cracking the starting lineup during his career. If weight is simply a show stopper for him, He and staff should seriously explore changing Positions. SDE seems like a natural fit, but I have zero knowledge of him ever playing defense. Like I said, a make or break year for him.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I personally think this is a make or break year for Wagner. Staff and others rave about his technique and quick feet and a skill set perfectly suited for right tackle. Strength and raw power are more important than weight per se, and I don’t know what combination of weight and strength and power is needed for him to be successful. Some of the best tackles in the NFL weight around 315, and not at all sure he can’t be successful in college around 290.

That said, Baker got the nod over him in the Bowl game, and I think Lambert is going to compete hard for starting from the day he arrives. If he doesn’t beat both for the starting job this year, I just don’t ever see him cracking the starting lineup during his career. If weight is simply a show stopper for him, He and staff should seriously explore changing Positions. SDE seems like a natural fit, but I have zero knowledge of him ever playing defense. Like I said, a make or break year for him.
I dont see it that way. Obviously this is an important year for him. But if he loses the job to Baker. He can be a 2 year starter at right tackle starting in 25 if he beats it Lambert or whoever.

It's not now or never for Wagner

I dont see it that way. Obviously this is an important year for him. But if he loses the job to Baker. He can be a 2 year starter at right tackle starting in 25 if he beats it Lambert or whoever.

It's not now or never for Wagner
We disagree, Again. Hope he wins the starting position outright this season and makes this hypothetical moot.

I agree. Spot on.

Thats like saying Bakers make or break was 2 years ago. But if he starts this year, it wasn't make or break

Way too early for that. He has 3 years left
The major difference is the size and weight issue. If he can’t get to the size they need him to be this year, then I don’t see that ever happening. But obviously, we don’t know who he Will be competing with in those three years. It was widely believed that Fisher needed another season, and if he had stayed, Baker would be on the bench or more likely in the portal. Maybe Jagusah goes pro after three and Lambert moves to LT and Wagner is the best option for RT in a couple of years. I’m assuming we continue to recruit tackles at a very high level, and I think Wagner will be passed over if weight and size keep him off the field this year. Again, all hypothetical.

Telx- as I was reading your post, I was also thinking about a position change, but I have no clue where.

I feel bad for Wagner. He likely came to ND, looking to get to the NFL. If NFL tackles are 315, then he’s really in a tough spot, as I don’t see him ever getting to 315. What is the best play for the kid? I’m just not sure. I’m rooting for him, I’m certain of that. It sounds like “he has it all” aside from 10-15 critical pounds of muscle.

As I kept working through the thread, Golson brought a good point: maybe he does just need another 12 months. In Feb of 2025, we could be discussing 2 great options at RT: Sophomore Lambert and Senior Wagner.

This is a frustrating situation. And it’s no one’s fault or miss.

Damn good OL talk. Any news on the battle(s) at Guard?

Freeman, Denbrock, and Rudolph are going to have a helluva time figuring this all out.

Last edited:
We disagree, Again. Hope he wins the starting position outright this season and makes this hypothetical moot.
I agree with telx1.

This is the year for Wagner. Much like Carmody he is having issues getting his weight right. Look at the guys Rudolph just signed as tackles for 2025.... Both over 290lbs in high school. It's becoming obvious he wants big bruisers on the outside. Wagner needs to make his move now, or yes I think he will be the swing man for the rest of his time at ND.

We will learn a lot about our OC coach post spring...but right now all indications are ND wants big boys across the line, which I agree with.

Telx- as I was reading your post, I was also thinking about a position change, but I have no clue where.

I feel bad for Wagner. He likely came to ND, looking to get to the NFL. If NFL tackles are 315, then he’s really in a tough spot, as I don’t see him ever getting to 315. What is the best play for the kid? I’m just not sure. I’m rooting for him, I’m certain of that. It sounds like “he has it all” aside from 10-15 critical pounds of muscle.

As I kept working through the thread, Golson brought a good point: maybe he does just need another 12 months. In Feb of 2025, we could be discussing 2 great options at RT: Sophomore Lambert and Senior Wagner.

This is a frustrating situation. And it’s no one’s fault or miss.

Damn good OL talk. Any news on the battle(s) at Guard?

Freeman, Denbrock, and Rudolph are going to have a helluva time figuring this all out.
There will likely be departures from the program post spring.

Maybe Wagner gets there. I hope he does. The bigger issue for him is actually going to be getting to hold that size through a season. That's why my feeling has been if he's not there this spring he's going to get passed over. It's one thing to tip the scales, but once the season starts can he hold the weight. That was Carmody biggest issue...he could get close to tipping the scales where they wanted over the summer but once the season started he couldn't keep it on.

There will likely be departures from the program post spring.

Maybe Wagner gets there. I hope he does. The bigger issue for him is actually going to be getting to hold that size through a season. That's why my feeling has been if he's not there this spring he's going to get passed over. It's one thing to tip the scales, but once the season starts can he hold the weight. That was Carmody biggest issue...he could get close to tipping the scales where they wanted over the summer but once the season started he couldn't keep it on.
He's bigger than Carmody as has much more natural strength and pop than Carmody

Thats like saying Bakers make or break was 2 years ago. But if he starts this year, it wasn't make or break

Way too early for that. He has 3 years left
I think two things are being discussed separately

Make or break for them being a starter here vs make or break for them being a really good player here

Baker may start this year, but he's not good, and that's not good if we have to start him. If wagner can't beat baker out this year it would be very shocking if he's ever anything more than what i'd recommend if he's not big enough to start (6th linemen).

I think the point tex is trying to make and I agree with, there's nothing infront of him that's any good at RT, so after 3 years if he can't get good good enough or put the needed weight on, he lost a huge opportunity. This would be a different story if he was trying to beat out Alt.

Fisher wasn't playing that great and Baker couldn't sniff the field, and when he did in blow out time, he wasn't very good.

in my mind, if you can't grab/win an opportunity right infront of you after 3 years in the program with minimal competition, it's not good, why i agree this is his make or break opportunity.

On the flip side, maybe wagner already is the best but they made a mistake like they did with LT in 2021 until they were forced to play ALT.

I think two things are being discussed separately

Make or break for them being a starter here vs make or break for them being a really good player here

Baker may start this year, but he's not good, and that's not good if we have to start him. If wagner can't beat baker out this year it would be very shocking if he's ever anything more than what i'd recommend if he's not big enough to start (6th linemen).

I think the point tex is trying to make and I agree with, there's nothing infront of him that's any good at RT, so after 3 years if he can't get good good enough or put the needed weight on, he lost a huge opportunity. This would be a different story if he was trying to beat out Alt.

Fisher wasn't playing that great and Baker couldn't sniff the field, and when he did in blow out time, he wasn't very good.

in my mind, if you can't grab/win an opportunity right infront of you after 3 years in the program with minimal competition, it's not good, why i agree this is his make or break opportunity.

On the flip side, maybe wagner already is the best but they made a mistake like they did with LT in 2021 until they were forced to play ALT.
It was always going to take time for him. If hes really good going into his 4th year instead of his 3rd, it is what it is. It happens.

Baker is a 5th year who Rudolph apparently likes more than HH did.

Wagners talent was never in question. If it takes him 4 years to get his weight up instead of 3 I dont think that has anything to do with his ability

He's bigger than Carmody as has much more natural strength and pop than Carmody
Carmody got to over 290 by his third season and couldn't keep it on once his reps increased. Wagner will have the same issues due to his metabolism. It's very unlikely that his eating will sustain the increased weight above 290 which he hasn't even reached.

We get it you like the kid. It doesn't matter if science keeps him too small to compete before he's passed over, the point is he has a path to playing time this year. If he doesn't start than next year he will be competing with Lambert and likely another frosh with at least equal size.

This is his year to make a move or he will likely be passed over.

Last edited:
Carmody got to over 290 by his third season and couldn't keep it on once his reps increased. Wagner will have the same issues due to his metabolism. It's very unlikely that his eating will sustain the increased weight above 290 which he hasn't even reached.

We get it you like the kid. It doesn't matter if science keeps him too small to compete before he's passed over, the point is he has a path to playing time this year. If he doesn't start than next year he will be competing with Lambert and likely another frosh with at least equal size.

This is his year to make a move or he will likely be passed over.
I dont care if he starts or not. But to say he is like Carmody is wrong. And to say it has to be this year is also wrong.

And I could care less if he ever starts or not. I'm a huge Guerby Lambert fan and think he is a better prospect than Wagner

But what is being said is incorrect. He has 3 years left and if it's not this year, it could easily be next year

It was always going to take time for him. If hes really good going into his 4th year instead of his 3rd, it is what it is. It happens.

Baker is a 5th year who Rudolph apparently likes more than HH did.

Wagners talent was never in question. If it takes him 4 years to get his weight up instead of 3 I dont think that has anything to do with his ability
Possible but highly unlikely for baker going forward at all being really good or Wagner making a huge leap from year 3-4 if he isn’t it this year

I dont care if he starts or not. But to say he is like Carmody is wrong. And to say it has to be this year is also wrong.

And I could care less if he ever starts or not. I'm a huge Guerby Lambert fan and think he is a better prospect than Wagner

But what is being said is incorrect. He has 3 years left and if it's not this year, it could easily be next year
285 in spring

Article on IB detailing how he's eating 8000 calories a day and still having issues getting over 290.

Hopefully new strength and conditioning guy can make a difference, but he's at least another year away...and competition is incoming

285 in spring

Article on IB detailing how he's eating 8000 calories a day and still having issues getting over 290.

Hopefully new strength and conditioning guy can make a difference, but he's at least another year away...and competition is incoming
He had an interview yesterday with the media and said he was 290 plus and expects to be at 300 plus by fall

So you'll see him on the field this year either as starter or top backup.

And then he'll be the lead candidate to start next year and he'll compete with a bunch of good prospects

That's just what I expected

He had an interview yesterday with the media and said he was 290 plus and expects to be at 300 plus by fall

So you'll see him on the field this year either as starter or top backup.

And then he'll be the lead candidate to start next year and he'll compete with a bunch of good prospects

That's just what I expected
Lol. No.

Good luck to him holding that weight once the season starts and maintaining that diet. He's at least another year away. He will be on the two deep this year out of necessity, but this is a bad sign, very similar to Carmody, but he's actually having more issues putting on the weight

Lol. No.

Good luck to him holding that weight once the season starts and maintaining that diet. He's at least another year away. He will be on the two deep this year out of necessity, but this is a bad sign, very similar to Carmody, but he's actually having more issues putting on the weight
No. From every beat reporter he's doing way better than Carmody and I listened to two different ones this week. And they spoke about both guys. They say he's noticably more muscular and can see its obvious the work he's putting in

He'll be starting or the main backup at tackle this year. And he'll be the lead guy next year in competition with other talented players. He'll have to battle this year and next

Just what I expected

No. From every beat reporter he's doing way better than Carmody and I listened to two different ones this week. And they spoke about both guys. They say he's noticably more muscular and can see its obvious the work he's putting in

He'll be starting or the main backup at tackle this year. And he'll be the lead guy next year in competition with other talented players. He'll have to battle this year and next

Just what I expected
Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT