ADVERTISEMENT

Winter workouts.

Lol. Yeah ignore the official weigh in.

Dude if he was 295 he'd be starting. He's not. I bet he barely hits 280 right now. And he's just starting spring and will likely struggle to increase much more before fall as workouts are going to spark his metabolism. Again it's HARD to get 8000 calories a day in while training.

Golson is just cherry picking quotes to back his opinion.

The fact we are still talking and getting reports on his weight shows this is an issue.

It's simple. Wagner needs to make a move right now, and it's likely he doesn't have the weight to do it. I hope he can, but it's looking more likely he's going to be a swing lineman after a year at #2. Outside of injury. If he was to start this year there would be serious concerns that he'd drop 15 or so lbs over the season and we don't need a 270 lbs rt in December.

Rudolph has picked 2 320 lbs tackles for next year...it's obvious he likes bigger players than previous ol coach did.

Lambert is going to walk in the door at 300 in the fall at 6-6 with bigger wing span. Guy is a prototype tackle ready made.

Thats what I do reading your posts. The Carmody thing is so silly because be doesn't have close to the natural strength of Wagner. Their power and strength levels are so different its just silly
The Carmody thing is very relevant. The previous coaches took bets on high ceiling players to fill out. Carmody much like Wagner was very athletic and came in and put on the weight. It's been reported he lost 20 lbs the season he started from start to finish. He ended his career well down from his weight goals. It just doesn't happen for some guys.

The Carmody thing is very relevant. The previous coaches took bets on high ceiling players to fill out. Carmody much like Wagner was very athletic and came in and put on the weight. It's been reported he lost 20 lbs the season he started from start to finish. He ended his career well down from his weight goals. It just doesn't happen for some guys.
It's not the same because Carmody had injury issues and Wagner doesnt

Carnody also had strength issues and Wagner does not

Irrelevant

Dude if he was 295 he'd be starting. He's not. I bet he barely hits 280 right now. And he's just starting spring and will likely struggle to increase much more before fall as workouts are going to spark his metabolism. Again it's HARD to get 8000 calories a day in while training.

The fact we are still talking and getting reports on his weight shows this is an issue.

It's simple. Wagner needs to make a move right now, and it's likely he doesn't have the weight to do it. I hope he can, but it's looking more likely he's going to be a swing lineman after a year at #2. Outside of injury. If he was to start this year there would be serious concerns that he'd drop 15 or so lbs over the season and we don't need a 270 lbs rt in December.

Rudolph has picked 2 320 lbs tackles for next year...it's obvious he likes bigger players than previous ol coach did.

Lambert is going to walk in the door at 300 in the fall at 6-6 with bigger wing span. Guy is a prototype tackle ready made.
🤣🤣🤣

You believe all the "official' weigh ins and heights etc are accurate

Thats hilarious 😂. Gullible fella

Wagner can make a move now, he can make a move next year. He can make a move as a 5th year.

He has 3 years. Just stupid to think he has to make a move in sping

What quotes did I use? The one where HE said he was 290 plus and thats what I stated.

Did I make them up or use other ones?

I think it's you who is using an article from a site as your reference

He had an interview yesterday with the media and said he was 290 plus and expects to be at 300 plus by fall

So you'll see him on the field this year either as starter or top backup.

And then he'll be the lead candidate to start next year and he'll compete with a bunch of good prospects

That's just what I expected
Of course its what you expected, thanks Mel

If he’s as quick and strong and they say. Why not give him a look at D line
Because he's an OL and right now he's our number 3 tackle which is very valuable. If one tackle goes down, hes next man in

And we have plebty of good DL. Hed have no chance to play

The major difference is the size and weight issue. If he can’t get to the size they need him to be this year, then I don’t see that ever happening. But obviously, we don’t know who he Will be competing with in those three years. It was widely believed that Fisher needed another season, and if he had stayed, Baker would be on the bench or more likely in the portal. Maybe Jagusah goes pro after three and Lambert moves to LT and Wagner is the best option for RT in a couple of years. I’m assuming we continue to recruit tackles at a very high level, and I think Wagner will be passed over if weight and size keep him off the field this year. Again, all hypothetical.
Just read he's working with Loren to gain wait and stay athletic. He's now over 290. He's a smart kid -- father is a coach -- and Wagner studies the game. I see a starting role for him in the future. If not vs. A&M, sometime this year and/or next. A lot of promising talent in that room. Hope we can keep them all at ND.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Take this for what it's worth...

But the guys on the ISD podacst today say the battle at right tackle is really close and they are both playing well. Behind the scenes they are saying Wagner looks really good.

But they dont think theyd put him with the 1s just yet because then it would be a big concern that Tosh would then transfer

Take this for what it's worth...

But the guys on the ISD podacst today say the battle at right tackle is really close and they are both playing well. Behind the scenes they are saying Wagner looks really good.

But they dont think theyd put him with the 1s just yet because then it would be a big concern that Tosh would then transfer
I share the same concerns expressed by Mirer; and I do think this is a critical year for Wagner. I’m hoping he makes this moot by gaining and maintaining enough good weight to win the starting job this year outright. I know coming out of high school there were concerns about whether his frame was big enough to carry the necessary weight to play tackle, and these concerns have yet to be put to bed.

Reactions: mirer03
I share the same concerns expressed by Mirer; and I do think this is a critical year for Wagner. I’m hoping he makes this moot by gaining and maintaining enough good weight to win the starting job this year outright. I know coming out of high school there were concerns about whether his frame was big enough to carry the necessary weight to play tackle, and these concerns have yet to be put to bed.
Everyone has the concern.

But the point it's this year or bust is a silly one.

Everyone has the concern.

But the point it's this year or bust is a silly one.
In the context of starting And excelling, Not silly at all. Baker played better than I expected in the Bowl game, but I think Wagner’s competition for starting RT next year will be more challenging than what baker presents this year. Obviously, a ton of variables and unknowns between now and then, but I still am of the opinion that this year offers the best chance for Wagner to start and have a great career at ND.

Reactions: mirer03
Our WR room went from weak to potentially one of the best in a while at ND. The transfers and the guys we had emerging like Greathouse. The emergence of Faison. The young guys balling. The older guys getting healthy. It is actually stacked. I think Colzie will have a hard time even seeing the field.

In the context of starting And excelling, Not silly at all. Baker played better than I expected in the Bowl game, but I think Wagner’s competition for starting RT next year will be more challenging than what baker presents this year. Obviously, a ton of variables and unknowns between now and then, but I still am of the opinion that this year offers the best chance for Wagner to start and have a great career at ND.
Yes it is silly. He has 3 years left. Let's say he plays as a backup tackle this year and plays well when he gets in.

He enters into year 4 and puts on about 5 to 10 pounds and he would be the huge favorite to start his final 2 years. That's not a crazy scenario in the slightest. Not everyone develops at the same timetable

The notion that it's this year or bust is a moronic one when he'd still have 2 years left

Sorry, the point you are making is just a dumb one

Yes it is silly. He has 3 years left. Let's say he plays as a backup tackle this year and plays well when he gets in.

He enters into year 4 and puts on about 5 to 10 pounds and he would be the huge favorite to start his final 2 years. That's not a crazy scenario in the slightest. Not everyone develops at the same timetable

The notion that it's this year or bust is a moronic one when he'd still have 2 years left

You are missing the point.

If he's passed over, he isn't staying for three years.

You are missing the point.

If he's passed over, he isn't staying for three years.
Yeah you can say that for anyone.

But he's not getting passed over. He's going to be the number 3 tackle this year and he still has a decent shot to win the RT job this year

But he's not getting passed up by anyone this year

If he doesn't win the job this season, he will go into next year as the leader in the clubhouse for the RT job but he will be in a tough battle but one he can win.

Yeah you can say that for anyone.

But he's not getting passed over. He's going to be the number 3 tackle this year and he still has a decent shot to win the RT job this year

But he's not getting passed up by anyone this year

If he doesn't win the job this season, he will go into next year as the leader in the clubhouse for the RT job but he will be in a tough battle but one he can win.
Assume Jagusah is the LT in 25, would RT likely be Wagner vs Lambert? Wow we’re loaded on the OL. A lot of talent there.

Is there merit to letting Lambert and Wagner play the Tackle spots, while Jagusah moves inside?

Assume Jagusah is the LT in 25, would RT likely be Wagner vs Lambert? Wow we’re loaded on the OL. A lot of talent there.

Is there merit to letting Lambert and Wagner play the Tackle spots, while Jagusah moves inside?
They could make it a Wagner vs. Lambert vs Absher competition. And may the best man win

Anything is possible but if Jagusah is our starting LT for all of 24 it would be kind of shocking to see him move inside

25 OL could have tons of possibilities or be very similar to the 24 OL. There's a chance all 5 starters could start for the next 2 years or a lot of movement

LT - Jagusah
LG - Coogan
C - Craig
RG - Schrauth
RT - Wagner

Lambert, Absher, Pendleton, Otting, Spindler (if he came back) would be the guys pushing

Thats a deep room of talent and experience if everyone came back

If Lambert came in in June and looked ready to go Id give Absher a chance this year to try and win that LG job

Throw out your moronic and dumb all you want. I think the chances of Wagner starting at RT go down after this year. And I think the chances of him leaving go up each year after this. I think we’ve beat this to death.

Throw out your moronic and dumb all you want. I think the chances of Wagner starting at RT go down after this year. And I think the chances of him leaving go up each year after this. I think we’ve beat this to death.
Your reasoning makes zero sense. But yes it's been beat to death

He will be a year older next year and he will be battling a sophomore instead of a 5th year guy

But somehow that will be tougher. After another year of development and weight room he will have less of a chance going against a sophomore who will probably have zero experience at all.

Very odd logic and reasoning

Your reasoning makes zero sense. But yes it's been beat to death

He will be a year older next year and he will be battling a sophomore instead of a 5th year guy

But somehow that will be tougher. After another year of development and weight room he will have less of a chance going against a sophomore who will probably have zero experience at all.

Very odd logic and reasoning
We obviously have wildly differing opinions about Lambert...the sophomore with zero experience you reference. I think he will push both Baker and Wagner as an incoming freshman this summer, and I think he will be our starting RT The following season. I just don’t see him sitting for two full seasons. I know, odd logic and reasoning.

We obviously have wildly differing opinions about Lambert...the sophomore with zero experience you reference. I think he will push both Baker and Wagner as an incoming freshman this summer, and I think he will be our starting RT The following season. I just don’t see him sitting for two full seasons. I know, odd logic and reasoning.
No we don't have differing opinions on Lambert. I think he was a5 star recruit and the best NFL prospect we signed on the offensive side of the ball

But yes, your logic and reasoning is very odd. Saying another very talented player like Wagner is going to have a harder time next year after another year of development and added weight is just wrong

Wagner was never going to play at Notre Dame in his first 2 years. He needed time. Hes right on schedule. Battle his junior year for a starting spot and then in years 4 and 5 he should be in prime position to take over

He will be Baker next year. He will get the first chance of winning the job. He will trot out with the 1s. It's up to him to hold off a younger guy

Well he do it, who knows. But he'll be fully ready next year

Well, we finally agree on something….Wagner was never going to start his first two years at ND. I fully expected him to start this year, his third. If he doesn’t beat out Baker, it will because he hasn’t been able to get big enough. He has the talent and strength and footwork to excel. If he can’t get big enough after three years in the program with a total focus on getting him bigger, than I don’t see where another year is going to make a difference, and by then Lambert will be a huge obstacle. But again, Wagner can make all this moot by winning the damn starting position this year, which is still my hope.

The Wagner/Baker debate aside, there are some very interesting observations coming out of Spring practices. Growing more comfortable by the day with our safety next to Watts. Shuler and Talich are reportedly making huge strides. Bernham moving to rush DE is interesting as he is continuing to add good weight to compliment his quickness off the line. Young sounds like the most natural and gifted of our DE’s, and sounds like he is physically developed to play immediately. Gilbert gets rave reviews daily. See references to Kiser and Bowen, but haven’t seen anything about how the other linebackers are doing, and hope folks here can share observations they’ve read.

The Wagner/Baker debate aside, there are some very interesting observations coming out of Spring practices. Growing more comfortable by the day with our safety next to Watts. Shuler and Talich are reportedly making huge strides. Bernham moving to rush DE is interesting as he is continuing to add good weight to compliment his quickness off the line. Young sounds like the most natural and gifted of our DE’s, and sounds like he is physically developed to play immediately. Gilbert gets rave reviews daily. See references to Kiser and Bowen, but haven’t seen anything about how the other linebackers are doing, and hope folks here can share observations they’ve read.
Burnham moved to the Big End. He was at rush end (Vyper) last year

I've seen some good things about Ausberry and how he looks. The one two punch at RB can be really good as both have stud qualities. Heard today how impressive looking Absher is but no one has gotten to see a padded practice yet

It's going to be hard to keep Young off the field. I think he starts next year at Big End. He's going to be a 6'7" monster

Burnham moved to the Big End. He was at rush end (Vyper) last year

I've seen some good things about Ausberry and how he looks. The one two punch at RB can be really good as both have stud qualities. Heard today how impressive looking Absher is but no one has gotten to see a padded practice yet

It's going to be hard to keep Young off the field. I think he starts next year at Big End. He's going to be a 6'7" monster
Yes, meant to say Burnham to big end. Thought I saw where he is likely to play at 260 this year.

We rarely talk about Absher. He’s huge and agile, but strictly a tackle, yes? Will be interesting if he turns out to be in a three way competition with Baker and Wagner.

I’m really anxious to read/hear about the OL guard competition. Is Rocco fully recovered by Fall, and is he better than Coogan? Is Shuler better than both? Does Pendleton make a case for starting?

I expect we’ll see Young a lot

Well, we finally agree on something….Wagner was never going to start his first two years at ND. I fully expected him to start this year, his third. If he doesn’t beat out Baker, it will because he hasn’t been able to get big enough. He has the talent and strength and footwork to excel. If he can’t get big enough after three years in the program with a total focus on getting him bigger, than I don’t see where another year is going to make a difference, and by then Lambert will be a huge obstacle. But again, Wagner can make all this moot by winning the damn starting position this year, which is still my hope.
Another year equals hopefully 10 pounds of good weight. It’s not like you’re not allowed to gain weight after your junior year. Just eat in a steady calorie surplus.

Reactions: Golson5
Burnham to big end seems odd to me as he seems small. Vyper has Bothelo and Junior.

Big End has Young, Oben, and who else? I wish Nana had stayed.

Burnham to big end seems odd to me as he seems small. Vyper has Bothelo and Junior.

Big End has Young, Oben, and who else? I wish Nana had stayed.
Vyper also has Traore

Big End also has Young

Traore and Young have the most natural God given ability and bodies.

Nothing against Nana, but I'm glad he moved on. These younger guys have much more talent

Yes, meant to say Burnham to big end. Thought I saw where he is likely to play at 260 this year.

We rarely talk about Absher. He’s huge and agile, but strictly a tackle, yes? Will be interesting if he turns out to be in a three way competition with Baker and Wagner.

I’m really anxious to read/hear about the OL guard competition. Is Rocco fully recovered by Fall, and is he better than Coogan? Is Shuler better than both? Does Pendleton make a case for starting?

Heres my hope, and I have no clue if it's even being considered or possible. But I hope Lambert comes in and is an absolute stud and he can be trusted as the backup left tackle. Absher gets bumped inside at LG and beats out Coogan

Having 2 young 6'7" 315lbs plus guys next to each other in Jagusah and Absher would ve freaking wild. They are maulers and strong and athletic. That could be a monster duo next to each other

I'm excited about Pendleton as well. Who do you nean at OL when you said Shuler?

Glad you mentioned Absher, Telx. Just watched a report from Brice, Prister and OMalley about today's practice and all three guys on that site were raving about Absher... Sullivan is the wild-card in this debate. Nice to have so many talented young OLinemen in the house. Sam Pendleton was working as the #2 center today.

Heres my hope, and I have no clue if it's even being considered or possible. But I hope Lambert comes in and is an absolute stud and he can be trusted as the backup left tackle. Absher gets bumped inside at LG and beats out Coogan

Having 2 young 6'7" 315lbs plus guys next to each other in Jagusah and Absher would ve freaking wild. They are maulers and strong and athletic. That could be a monster duo next to each other

I'm excited about Pendleton as well. Who do you nean at OL when you said Shuler?
Auto correct….Schrauth! Your wish is similar to mine last year when I wished Alt and Fisher played side by side. But we didn’t have a better or equal RT to warrant this.

I thought Rocco played well, but not great last year; and I thought Coogan was measurably worse. I don’t know enough about how Absher and Pendleton are developing, but my wish going into Spring practice was for Pendleton and Schrauth to win the guard spots. But, the experience Coogan and Rocco bring to the table will be a factor. I still believe Schauth will win the RG position; and I hope the LG is a wide open competition that doesn’t give too much weight to experience.

Auto correct….Schrauth! Your wish is similar to mine last year when I wished Alt and Fisher played side by side. But we didn’t have a better or equal RT to warrant this.

I thought Rocco played well, but not great last year; and I thought Coogan was measurably worse. I don’t know enough about how Absher and Pendleton are developing, but my wish is for Pendleton and Schrauth
Glad you mentioned Absher, Telx. Just watched a report from Brice, Prister and OMalley about today's practice and all three guys on that site were raving about Absher... Sullivan is the wild-card in this debate. Nice to have so many talented young OLinemen in the house. Sam Pendleton was working as the #2 center today.
Thanks for sharing Stu. I assume Craig has the starting center position locked up. But, Craig’s only a year ahead of Pendleton, and I’m still hoping he (Pendleton) has a shot of starting at LG. Some very interesting moving parts for both guard positions and RT. Like you say, a good problem to have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT