ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy who?

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Jus' saying. That drive was a thing of beauty. Love who Parker is getting everyone involved -- 5 backs! And Hartman really spreading it around. Need to get Merriweather a td -- to get him going!

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Jus' saying. That drive was a thing of beauty. Love who Parker is getting everyone involved -- 5 backs! And Hartman really spreading it around. Need to get Merriweather a td -- to get him going!
Tommy Rees!

The jury is still out on Parker until we play some real teams. But you are right if this performance carries forward into the season then Rees will be an afterthought. His play calling was inconsistent and you will see the same nonsense at Alabama. The only difference is Saban will tear him a new you know what.

Loved our offense today. But we need to chill on the criticism of Tommy. We have no idea what his offense would look like with Rees at the helm. He was calling plays with a hand tied behind his back last year with our QB play.

I’m rooting for Tommy in Tuscaloosa! He’s 30 years old. He’s going to get so much better under Saban.

Loved our offense today. But we need to chill on the criticism of Tommy. We have no idea what his offense would look like with Rees at the helm. He was calling plays with a hand tied behind his back last year with our QB play.

I’m rooting for Tommy in Tuscaloosa! He’s 30 years old. He’s going to get so much better under Saban.
We saw him for 3 years. He was okay

The good. Communication was solid. A lot of this is from Hartman. He was in full control. Rbs are deep and we showed a much more diverse run game and blocking scheme. Give some kudos to new ol coach.

The bad. It was navy and we couldn't get Tobias involved. He supposed to be an alpha, and yeah one ball was underthrown, but considering the way the ball was spread around Id think they go back to him. Not concerned yet but it's something to watch.

Reactions: Ndapolis1

Exactly. Having a legitimate QB makes a big difference.

Exactly. Having a legitimate QB makes a big difference.

But that was on Tommy. As previously stated, I don’t hate the guy. I felt the play calling at times was very bland and the guy responsible for recruiting/developing QBs wasn’t doing very well(Tommy). Heck, our starter last year is 3rd string at Bama. THAT’s HIS BODY OF WORK! In time, I’m sure he’ll be good/great, but he just wasn’t performing all that well as a first time OC at ND. We’ve definitely had better and we’ve definitely had worse hires than him.

Reactions: francade
But that was on Tommy. As previously stated, I don’t hate the guy. I felt the play calling at times was very bland and the guy responsible for recruiting/developing QBs wasn’t doing very well(Tommy). Heck, our starter last year is 3rd string at Bama. THAT’s HIS BODY OF WORK! In time, I’m sure he’ll be good/great, but he just wasn’t performing all that well as a first time OC at ND. We’ve definitely had better and we’ve definitely had worse hires than him.
Also agree. It's also why I never was fond of him being hired as OC. He lacked experience. Glad he's gone so he can get that valuable experience learning from someone other than Kelly, and wish him the best.

The strategy to beat Navy by running up the middle was undoubtedly known by Tommy. The question is will it beat Georgia? Some use these games to practice plays we will need against other teams.

The jury is still out on Parker until we play some real teams. But you are right if this performance carries forward into the season then Rees will be an afterthought. His play calling was inconsistent and you will see the same nonsense at Alabama. The only difference is Saban will tear him a new you know what.
The Irish have failed plenty of times with who are better OC's.
Yesterday day looked flawless especially the first game of the season

Liked that we didn't rush to the line and stand for 25 seconds trying to get the play in. Was that on TR or on the QB last year? Time will tell.
The play calling yesterday seemed to be well thought out.

I made mention of this in another thread. Holy crap, we made it out of the first quarter with 3 timeouts left and it helped us get a score just before the half. We didn’t look confused with late plays/substitutions at the LOS. We were PREPARED! Kudos

The good. Communication was solid. A lot of this is from Hartman. He was in full control. Rbs are deep and we showed a much more diverse run game and blocking scheme. Give some kudos to new ol coach.

The bad. It was navy and we couldn't get Tobias involved. He supposed to be an alpha, and yeah one ball was underthrown, but considering the way the ball was spread around Id think they go back to him. Not concerned yet but it's something to watch.
Agree we need to get Tobias involved but look at the film of that play. The CB clearly hits Tobias across the arms before the ball is there. That was an INT. He'll get his chances.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
I didn't miss the 'scan offense' -- standing at the line for 25 seconds. I always felt like it led to second guessing on the part of our QBs -- pre and post snap. Still, you guys are right, Hartman is in his 6th year!

I only wish Tommy the best. He's a special talent as a coach and has a promising career ahead of him. I think going to work with Saban was a great move for him and his career. Having coached under Kelly and Saban will look good on his resume!

Agree we need to get Tobias involved but look at the film of that play. The CB clearly hits Tobias across the arms before the ball is there. That was an INT. He'll get his chances.
Agree. Tobias Is going to need to step up a little more for us. Those freshman are going to be taking some of his snaps . I realize it’s game one so he needs to be given a chance to be the guy Jmo.

Reactions: Kelso86
Pretty sure it was the first drive. 2 plays really stood out. A draw with Estime on 3rd and long and then a pass in the flat to Estime on 3rd and long. Both converted to first downs. I know it's Navy, but those are excellent chess moves in the sense he called plays that shouldn't have worked, but Navy left themselves vulnerable to. Very impressed with those 2 calls.

a couple things stuck out. First, Hartman clearly was in charge on the field. He ran the show and everyone responded to his leadership. It was a confidence in the offense I haven’t seen in quite some time.

Second, the defense adjusted and played well against an offense that can make a lot of defenses look bad. Kudos to Al Golden.

Third, it’s Navy. ND should beat Navy. I think we all have been so conditioned for a tight game and plenty of miscues, that it was great to see a focused and well coached team “take no prisoners.” The biggest thing is for the Irish work on getting better and more confident as better teams are ahead on the schedule.

McCullough determines the playing time for his group. Great to see them all get some time.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
It’s Navy. Last year Pyne had 4 first half touchdowns snd the defense sucked. Parker will be judged when he plays someone. I wasn’t disappointed with his calls though. Only gripe was not letting Angeli throw it around. Maybe next week.

The strategy to beat Navy by running up the middle was undoubtedly known by Tommy. The question is will it beat Georgia? Some use these games to practice plays we will need against other teams.
Arguably, OSU should’ve beaten Georgia last year, so the real question might be, will it beat the Buckeyes? That’s a great early test to see how they stack up. However, it’s a home game, so it can’t quite simulate a playoff matchup in January.

It’s Navy. Last year Pyne had 4 first half touchdowns snd the defense sucked. Parker will be judged when he plays someone. I wasn’t disappointed with his calls though. Only gripe was not letting Angeli throw it around. Maybe next week.
IMO, Sam Hartman should have been wearing a visor after the first TD of the second half.

I personally believe Rees will struggle in the beginning of SEC play. I also believe Buchner will eventually play and do well since he understands the system and he is more mature now.

Pretty sure it was the first drive. 2 plays really stood out. A draw with Estime on 3rd and long and then a pass in the flat to Estime on 3rd and long. Both converted to first downs. I know it's Navy, but those are excellent chess moves in the sense he called plays that shouldn't have worked, but Navy left themselves vulnerable to. Very impressed with those 2 calls.
"2 plays really stood out. A draw with Estime on 3rd and long and then a pass in the flat to Estime on 3rd and long."

Another one stands out -- I think it was the TD pass to Colzie -- Blitz came from Hartman's left and he zipped it out to the right, where Colzie slipped a tackle and took it in.

Arguably, OSU should’ve beaten Georgia last year, so the real question might be, will it beat the Buckeyes? That’s a great early test to see how they stack up. However, it’s a home game, so it can’t quite simulate a playoff matchup in January.
"However, it’s a home game, so it can’t quite simulate a playoff matchup in January."

Let's just hope that OSU fans don't take over the stadium like Georgia did in 2017....

Reactions: deadirishpoet
We ran the same offense Saturday as we did last year. The bashing of Tommy Rees just points to how little the people on this board know. You think maybe, just maybe, having a 6th year prolific QB had something to do with it?

I think a lot has to do w/ having a good qb, but yesterday’s performance was a far cry from getting one 1st down in an entire half. Just as you think that people that are critical of him know little, I think that people that praise him know little.

And ftr, that opinion is of him while at ND. I believe he can succeed at bama.

I liked the ground and pound north/south running. For years they would try to get guys to the edge who were not east/west runners.

I think a lot has to do w/ having a good qb, but yesterday’s performance was a far cry from getting one 1st down in an entire half. Just as you think that people that are critical of him know little, I think that people that praise him know little.
Yeah sure, but facts are facts. It was the same offense run with different personnel.

It was Navy last year. If not for a Pick and a Punt block that's a loss. DP struggled the second when they needed him and Mayer/Lenzy bailed him out. Mayer and Lenzy had half the catches and about 40% of the yards. Lenzy made a circus catch, much harder than for Tobias.

There is just no comparison in those 2 QB's or that game. We all watched last year screaming and fretting. This year was pure enjoyment, I didnt even have a need to get to my 3rd beer.

I do agree with you IB, its one game. After one game last year we were sky high. Then Marshall came to town.

It was Navy last year. If not for a Pick and a Punt block that's a loss. DP struggled the second when they needed him and Mayer/Lenzy bailed him out. Mayer and Lenzy had half the catches and about 40% of the yards. Lenzy made a circus catch, much harder than for Tobias.

There is just no comparison in those 2 QB's or that game. We all watched last year screaming and fretting. This year was pure enjoyment, I didnt even have a need to get to my 3rd beer.

I do agree with you IB, its one game. After one game last year we were sky high. Then Marshall came to town.

I think there are a lot of comparisons with DP. Hartman has more experience than DP. But they are both limited in upside. Neither are overly mobile and on the shorter side. Both have moxie and leadership ability. I do think Hartman is superior to DP; I just don’t know if the gap is as large as some ND fans believe it is based on his film and what he’s shown. We will know vs Ohio State. If their db’s play catch technique Hartman might throw multiple interceptions. He makes a living off back shoulder and underthrown balls. He doesn’t have that extra snap in his passes like a Clausen or Golson. He doesn’t have the big arm to push it across the field and make elite throws. He is a seasoned vet with good confidence and charisma. He is a captain and a guy you can trust. I don’t know if he’s a world beater like Caleb Williams or even has the upside of a CJ Carr or Kenny Minchey. I like Sam a lot and hope he wins every game. He’s a hard guy not to like especially in a gold helmet, but let’s not forget he’s likely a 4th or 5th round pick even if he goes 12-0. He has limits to his game and there are levels to QB’ing. That doesn’t mean he can’t win every game but he can’t do it alone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT