ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Rees

Are you asking for a link to support an assertion? Oh the irony

One might wish to look into the appropriate use of the term irony lest one not wish to appear lacking a sufficient level of knowledge of the English language.

As it stands now, no one has procured a credible source from an Oregon media outlet. Which would be logical given the activity was fabricated and did not actually occur.

So, so true!!!

Just wait until we hear the mouthpieces lament as to Tyree's inability to pass block and how it be a reasonable explanation of why he shall receive minimal playing time. As if its just unquestionable sound logic. Surely it made sense to keep young Dexter absent of meaningful carries all of his years prior. For although he averaged 7 yards per carry up to that point, he had not yet fully educated himself on the great nuances of pass blocking on the collegiate level.

Meanwhile, we shall have the pleasure of watching Jafar carry the ball parallel to the line of scrimmage until he be dropped behind said line of scrimmage by a fearsome Naval Academy cornerback standing 5'8 and weighing 165 pounds.

Only by perhaps the last quarter of his sophomore year shall we expect it to be anywhere reasonable that young Tyree shall see any type of significant playing time.

And in the hopes of continuing to reduce our team speed on offense while ensuring the much more imperative trait of "experience" we were able to secure the services of the Northwestern receiver who should assuredly assist in accomplishing both those two goals. Thankfully he has blessed this roster and saved us the indignities of having to play inexperienced players such as young Kevin or young Jordan. One can only think in horror of all the mental errors that might transpire on the field by their presence.

Why when we consider a starting offensive skill lineup of Book, Jafar/C'Bo, NW receiver, Lenzy, and Tremble/Wright how can one not believe that victory over Clemson be a mere formality that is all yet finalized on the field of play?

Truthfully, one is never to know of the athletic prowess of any running backs or receivers on the team until they reach their final year of eligibility lest they not yet have acquired all of the experience necessary to be "trusted" by Kelly and be entertained by any meaningful volume of carries or targets. By keeping young Dexter, Chase, and Miles touches to a minimum in years past we were able to avoid sure disaster on the field. Its not as if such events traspired anyways in 2016 nor 2017.
So, so true!!!

Just wait until we hear the mouthpieces lament as to Tyree's inability to pass block and how it be a reasonable explanation of why he shall receive minimal playing time. As if its just unquestionable sound logic. Surely it made sense to keep young Dexter absent of meaningful carries all of his years prior. For although he averaged 7 yards per carry up to that point, he had not yet fully educated himself on the great nuances of pass blocking on the collegiate level.
Absolutely spot on!!! And...cough cough...dare we not get a little creative with such explosiveness to find ways to get him involved in the offense.

I find it absolutely comical how the people who LOVE using the academic restriction excuse will be the first to point out how they couldn't grasp a particular facet of the position's responsibility yet here they are at NOTRE DAME...the very school they excuse football failure with stringent admissions.

So you're saying we can't compete because you have to be dumb to run fast????

This very gifted running back with explosive athleticism was the only running back in the world smart enough to get admitted at Notre Dame but yet he's apparently not smart enough.
How does that work? The apologists want you to believe we can't get ivy league students in but yet our RB is too stupid to understand pass blocking?

Alrighty then!!!

Meanwhile, we shall have the pleasure of watching Jafar carry the ball parallel to the line of scrimmage until he be dropped behind said line of scrimmage by a fearsome Naval Academy cornerback standing 5'8 and weighing 165 pounds.

Yes ....the infamous lllllloooooonnnnngggggg developing run play that is so easily read. Ridiculously read. It's a Brian Kelly staple.

Only by perhaps the last quarter of his sophomore year shall we expect it to be anywhere reasonable that young Tyree shall see any type of significant playing time.
Only if it's a meaningless game out of hand with the 8th string and the entire opposition knows a handoff is coming.
And in the hopes of continuing to reduce our team speed on offense while ensuring the much more imperative trait of "experience" we were able to secure the services of the Northwestern receiver who should assuredly assist in accomplishing both those two goals. Thankfully he has blessed this roster and saved us the indignities of having to play inexperienced players such as young Kevin or young Jordan. One can only think in horror of all the mental errors that might transpire on the field by their presence.
OMG.....yes
Just what we need. A transfer from Northwestern that can sit down on a curl route and get tackled immediately. Absolutley positively damn straight. Just what we need. More players with NO explosiveness.

Why when we consider a starting offensive skill lineup of Book, Jafar/C'Bo, NW receiver, Lenzy, and Tremble/Wright how can one not believe that victory over Clemson be a mere formality that is all yet finalized on the field of play?
And please don't forget the best of them all...the one who takes the top off the stadium....
Ian Book. I mean this cat is legendary. Venables is pissing his pants tonight thinking about facing Book next year. Clemson isn't worried about Burrows. No way. Terrified of South Bend in 10 months. I heard they were thinking about even taking a forfeit but then someone showed Dabo Clemson fans were able to buy 65,000 tickets. Given they will have a cozy setting in South Bend they will attend after all.

Truthfully, one is never to know of the athletic prowess of any running backs or receivers on the team until they reach their final year of eligibility lest they not yet have acquired all of the experience necessary to be "trusted" by Kelly and be entertained by any meaningful volume of carries or targets. By keeping young Dexter, Chase, and Miles touches to a minimum in years past we were able to avoid sure disaster on the field. Its not as if such events traspired anyways in 2016 nor 2017.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sincerely,

37 drop backs for passing plays in the middle of a hurricane.

Reactions: deadprez3
One might wish to look into the appropriate use of the term irony lest one not wish to appear lacking a sufficient level of knowledge of the English language.

As it stands now, no one has procured a credible source from an Oregon media outlet. Which would be logical given the activity was fabricated and did not actually occur.

Lololololololol!!!

So, so true!!!

Absolutely spot on!!! And...cough cough...dare we not get a little creative with such explosiveness to find ways to get him involved in the offense.

I find it absolutely comical how the people who LOVE using the academic restriction excuse will be the first to point out how they couldn't grasp a particular facet of the position's responsibility yet here they are at NOTRE DAME...the very school they excuse football failure with stringent admissions.

This very gifted running back with explosive athleticism was the only running back in the world smart enough to get admitted at Notre Dame but yet he's apparently not smart enough.
How does that work? The apologists want you to believe we can't get ivy league students in but yet our RB is too stupid to understand pass blocking?

Alrighty then!!!

Yes ....the infamous lllllloooooonnnnngggggg developing run play that is so easily read. Ridiculously read. It's a Brian Kelly staple.

Only if it's a meaningless game out of hand with the 8th string and the entire opposition knows a handoff is coming.
OMG.....yes
Just what we need. A transfer from Northwestern that can sit down on a curl route and get tackled immediately. Absolutley positively damn straight. Just what we need. More players with NO explosiveness.

And please don't forget the best of them all...the one who takes the top off the stadium....
Ian Book. I mean this cat is legendary. Venables is pissing his pants tonight thinking about facing Book next year. Clemson isn't worried about Burrows. No way. Terrified of South Bend in 10 months. I heard they were thinking about even taking a forfeit but then someone showed Dabo Clemson fans were able to buy 65,000 tickets. Given they will have a cozy setting in South Bend they will attend after all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sincerely,

Lolzzzzz

I love how accurate a handle you have on the proceedings of the program. I rarely come across another with such knowledge and insight. Most simply cannot remain neutral and objective and it causes themselves great injustices and internal strife.

And the humourous way in which you expound upon the unfortunate matters we must endure by Kelly's renderings brings me great delight.

I no doubt believe you have a very sound and rational mind coupled with a great natural intellect to be able to objectively digest the unfortunate transpirings that occur on the field and accurately articulate our plight. @chaseball and @IrishInOntario are also great board assets in this regard.

I shall continue to take great pleasure in reading your posts!!!

Reactions: chaseball
Lolzzzzz

I love how accurate a handle you have on the proceedings of the program. I rarely come across another with such knowledge and insight. Most simply cannot remain neutral and objective and it causes themselves great injustices and internal strife.

And the humourous way in which you expound upon the unfortunate matters we must endure by Kelly's renderings brings me great delight.

I no doubt believe you have a very sound and rational mind coupled with a great natural intellect to be able to objectively digest the unfortunate transpirings that occur on the field and accurately articulate our plight. @chaseball and @IrishInOntario are also great board assets in this regard.

What i find pretty interesting about @88ND opinion is that he doesn't even bother looking at any of the advanced metrics...he's just going off of pure observation/instinct and he's pretty accurate. He has a good gut -- most of his .02 lines up right with the data even though he doesn't look at it.

Reactions: deadprez3
Lolzzzzz

Ladies and Gentlemen- I believe we have a true BROMANCE going on here.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Lolzzzzz

Do you two need to get a room?

What i find pretty interesting about @88ND opinion is that he doesn't even bother looking at any of the advanced metrics...he's just going off of pure observation/instinct and he's pretty accurate. He has a good gut -- most of his .02 lines up right with the data even though he doesn't look at it.

Yes he possesses a very intuitive football mind.

It pairs well with your macro level insights on the program. You were able to first give light to the inadequacies of the top 15 recruiting classes in comparison to the nation's elite and the consequences they wrought on the field of play. A concept which escaped others and continued to leave them baffled by on the field transpirings.

Now you are doing excellent work getting others to realize ND remains only a top 15ish program through the use of advanced metrics.

Sometimes I feel we find more enjoyment as fans had we not been endowed with such abilities for insight. I find myself sometimes growing envious of those who view the program in a more naive and ignorant manner. I'm sure you feel the same at times. Alas, however, we can not shut down our brains in the higher manner in which they observe and deduce.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
Yes he possesses a very intuitive football mind.

It pairs well with your macro level insights on the program. You were able to first give light to the inadequacies of the top 15 recruiting classes in comparison to the nation's elite and the consequences they wrought on the field of play. A concept which escaped others and continued to leave them baffled by on the field transpirings.

Now you are doing excellent work getting others to realize ND remains only a top 15ish program through the use of advanced metrics.

Sometimes I feel we find more enjoyment as fans had we not been endowed with such abilities for insight. I find myself sometimes growing envious of those who view the program in a more naive and ignorant manner. I'm sure you feel the same at times. Alas, however, we can not shut down our brains in the higher manner in which they observe and deduce.
Don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back. You’re a legend in your own mind. But you’re naive and ignorant to that.

BTW, if you’re that intelligent in your knowledge of the game why aren’t you coaching D-1 making big coin?

Last edited:
Reactions: NIN Irish
So, so true!!!

Alrighty then!!!

OMG.....yes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sincerely,

anyone that blames anyone other than Dexter Williams himself for his lack of playing time is just a damn fool. Sad for the fan base that it took almost a full 4 years for him to realize that hard work and effort was part of the equation.

anyone that blames anyone other than Dexter Williams himself for his lack of playing time is just a damn fool. Sad for the fan base that it took almost a full 4 years for him to realize that hard work and effort was part of the equation.

And anyone that thinks Brian Kelly plays the right personnel all the time every time is writing the book on being a fool.

Coaches have favorites, coaches err at times. Some certainly more than others. To act like BK is absolutely spot on with any of the personnel decision, particularly on offense, isn't very observant to the last decade.

If Dexter isn't putting the work in...who's fault is that? Well now...an average coach or a fan of average coaching will put all the blame on said player. A good coach will find out why and what is going on and figure out how to reach said player so the team can in fact enjoy the athleticism.

Sadly, Brian Kelly football is....here is the weight room...over there is where we practice...here's a football...see y'all on Saturday morning.

Good coaches don't recruit a player then just stick their head in the sand. Good coaches go the extra mile at times to get said player ready for participation.

Then again the key word here is good coach...which Brian Kelly is not.

And anyone that thinks Brian Kelly plays the right personnel all the time every time is writing the book on being a fool.

Coaches have favorites, coaches err at times. Some certainly more than others. To act like BK is absolutely spot on with any of the personnel decision, particularly on offense, isn't very observant to the last decade.

If Dexter isn't putting the work in...who's fault is that? Well now...an average coach or a fan of average coaching will put all the blame on said player. A good coach will find out why and what is going on and figure out how to reach said player so the team can in fact enjoy the athleticism.

Sadly, Brian Kelly football is....here is the weight room...over there is where we practice...here's a football...see y'all on Saturday morning.

Good coaches don't recruit a player then just stick their head in the sand. Good coaches go the extra mile at times to get said player ready for participation.

This is a baseless opinion 88, typical but baseless. You have no idea what goes on between a player and a coach during a season and none of us do, but you find the need to lecture the board on how it really occurred? Please. The rest of this is just more Kelly hate while you again hide behind claiming youre a realist, same song, same dance, new day.

The only one writing the book on being a fool is you.

he most certainly is a very good coach and the resume confirms it. Dexters biggest problem was the man in the mirror. not holding a 20 year old culpable for their poor work ethic and rewarding them is nothing more than enabling. Kudos to Kelly and his staff for not engaging in it.

I thought everybody with any football sense knew that about BK's offense after 10 years?

I thought everybody with any football sense knew that about BK's offense after 10 years?
playing time is earned Sunday through Friday. rewarding a poor work ethic sends a horrible message to a team. players know who's putting in the effort in the weight room, the meeting room and the practice field.

Do you two need to get a room?
Can you imagine what would happen in that room.... the board blowhard and the negative nerd.
One side would be pacing talking about how much HE knows and how if they did it his way everything would be perfect.... Football, basketball, Hockey... NFL teams would hire him for their drafting.... expert handicapper even though "his leg breaking days are behind him (his words, not mine)." and the other side would be looking for random nerd stats to back up all the negative claims coming from the other dude.

There would be soooo much complaining and sooo much bitching..... and at the end of the day, nothing would happen because BK is still the coach and ND's football program hasnt been stronger in 25+ years.

Can you imagine what would happen in that room.... the board blowhard and the negative nerd.
One side would be pacing talking about how much HE knows and how if they did it his way everything would be perfect.... Football, basketball, Hockey... NFL teams would hire him for their drafting.... expert handicapper even though "his leg breaking days are behind him (his words, not mine)." and the other side would be looking for random nerd stats to back up all the negative claims coming from the other dude.

There would be soooo much complaining and sooo much bitching..... and at the end of the day, nothing would happen because BK is still the coach and ND's football program hasnt been stronger in 25+ years.
nothing like some double spaced gibberish to bring a little humor to one's day.....

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeth#5

Extreme accuracy. Much like his prediction/opinion of LSU losing to OU and LSU not dominating all year long.

You people are clueless.

Reactions: Ara64 and nemeth#5
I'm reading these threads and all I can say is THANK GOD I blocked them. This board is just so much more enjoyable now.

Dear Mr Morrison. Time will tell. ND should not be a proving ground for upstart assistants or HCs. It should be a place where the best want to come. That's pretty naive, I know. Fans vent behind a keyboard because there is no other outlet. They are not on the radio and they are not bloggers or sports columnists. Fans have been venting since the beginning of time.. Let the fans be. The spotlight should be on BK , not the fans. He is the one that made the hire and he has more hires to come. I get the feeling that some fans don't trust the guy. I'm comfortable with Tom as the OC. There's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Interesting opinion piece on Slap The Sign about the Tommy Rees hire:

"There is a large chunk of the Notre Dame football fan base that is growing more insufferable by the minute in regard to the Tommy Rees OC hire."

Here is the full article: https://slapthesign.com/2020/01/16/notre-dame-football-complaining-rees-hire/

Might the author have done his research for the article on this board?

For the past three seasons, Chip Long has been running his own offense, not Brian Kelly’s, with Notre Dame. Rees will run his own offense, schemes, gameplans, and call his own plays.

I stopped reading right here.

Dear Mr Morrison. Time will tell. ND should not be a proving ground for upstart assistants or HCs. It should be a place where the best want to come. That's pretty naive, I know. Fans vent behind a keyboard because there is no other outlet. They are not on the radio and they are not bloggers or sports columnists. Fans have been venting since the beginning of time.. Let the fans be. The spotlight should be on BK , not the fans. He is the one that made the hire and he has more hires to come. I get the feeling that some fans don't trust the guy. I'm comfortable with Tom as the OC. There's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Toby, while I get the fact that fans will be fans, some of the vitriol expressed here and on other ND fan boards over TR's hire is, at least IMHO, a bit over the top. How many of us have accepted new jobs being perhaps a little short on experience, but full of confidence in our abilities to perform the job well? In 1924, with only a handful of games under his belt in the major leagues, the Yankees inserted a young kid in the lineup to play first base in place of an aging Wally Pipp: Lou Gehrig. That gamble worked out pretty well for the Yankees. Is TR going to be a Lou Gehrig hire? Or the next Greg Bird? (I think you're a Yankees fan?) I don't know, and none of us do. Time will tell.

Sports Illustrated ran a good piece on the TR hire: https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-analysis-tommy-rees-to-oc

I think this quote from the article pretty accurately sums it up for me:

"Sometimes a coach will recruit a player who might not be ready to play as a freshman, but he has tremendous upside, so you take a chance on him. Sometimes you play a talented young player, not knowing what he’ll do, because you know he has the potential and upside to be really good.

Most head coaches aren’t willing to take that kind of chance on a coach, but Kelly is showing a willingness to do just that. The reality is no one knows how this will pan out. Not Kelly, not me, not any of Rees’ detractors and not any of his supporters. It could blow up in Kelly’s face, or Rees could reward Kelly’s confidence and loyalty, and make his boss look like a genius. It all depends on how quickly Rees can adapt to the job, which goes far beyond just play-calling.

Kelly is betting on Rees’ talent and potential meshing well with a veteran staff and a veteran football team. If you’re going to take a chance on a young coach, you do it with someone who you know as well as Kelly knows Rees, and you do it on someone that you believe has a lot of potential and upside as a coach. I don’t think anyone can make a case that Rees doesn’t possess a great deal of potential as a coach."

Toby, while I get the fact that fans will be fans, some of the vitriol expressed here and on other ND fan boards over TR's hire is, at least IMHO, a bit over the top. How many of us have accepted new jobs being perhaps a little short on experience, but full of confidence in our abilities to perform the job well? In 1924, with only a handful of games under his belt in the major leagues, the Yankees inserted a young kid in the lineup to play first base in place of an aging Wally Pipp: Lou Gehrig. That gamble worked out pretty well for the Yankees. Is TR going to be a Lou Gehrig hire? Or the next Greg Bird? (I think you're a Yankees fan?) I don't know, and none of us do. Time will tell.

Sports Illustrated ran a good piece on the TR hire: https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-analysis-tommy-rees-to-oc

I think this quote from the article pretty accurately sums it up for me:

"Sometimes a coach will recruit a player who might not be ready to play as a freshman, but he has tremendous upside, so you take a chance on him. Sometimes you play a talented young player, not knowing what he’ll do, because you know he has the potential and upside to be really good.

Most head coaches aren’t willing to take that kind of chance on a coach, but Kelly is showing a willingness to do just that. The reality is no one knows how this will pan out. Not Kelly, not me, not any of Rees’ detractors and not any of his supporters. It could blow up in Kelly’s face, or Rees could reward Kelly’s confidence and loyalty, and make his boss look like a genius. It all depends on how quickly Rees can adapt to the job, which goes far beyond just play-calling.

Kelly is betting on Rees’ talent and potential meshing well with a veteran staff and a veteran football team. If you’re going to take a chance on a young coach, you do it with someone who you know as well as Kelly knows Rees, and you do it on someone that you believe has a lot of potential and upside as a coach. I don’t think anyone can make a case that Rees doesn’t possess a great deal of potential as a coach."

Your analogizing recruiting a rookie to promoting a coach? Why can't Rees develop his potential as a WR coach while proven playcallers manage him and other assistants??

Your analogizing recruiting a rookie to promoting a coach? Why can't Rees develop his potential as a WR coach while proven playcallers manage him and other assistants??

Brian Kelly went with his gut instincts and decided to take a chance. There is no doubt this is a risky move by BK, and he will have egg on his face if it doesn't work out. Bryan Driskell (who wrote the SI article I linked above) likes Rees and has a lot of good things to say about him, but Driskell ultimately thinks BK should have brought in an outsider and let Rees get some more experience before he was given the keys to the car. All of us will have to wait and see how this works out.

Since you didn't like my Lou Gehrig analogy, let me use a more recent baseball comparison. Theo Epstein, who pretty much everyone agrees is a very smart baseball guy, hired David Ross to manage the Cubs this year. David Ross was a thinking man's player and is generally considered by baseball insiders to have a very sharp baseball mind, but he has zero experience as either a manager or coach at the major league level. Nonetheless, Epstein evidently had enough confidence in Ross' baseball DNA to believe he will be a good manager, despite his lack of experience in that position. At the end of the day, Epstein went with his gut and rolled the dice, just like Brian Kelly did. Both are risky moves, and I am pretty certain that BK realizes the wolves will be waiting at the door.

Brian Kelly went with his gut instincts and decided to take a chance. There is no doubt this is a risky move by BK, and he will have egg on his face if it doesn't work out. Bryan Driskell (who wrote the SI article I linked above) likes Rees and has a lot of good things to say about him, but Driskell ultimately thinks BK should have brought in an outsider and let Rees get some more experience before he was given the keys to the car. All of us will have to wait and see how this works out.

Since you didn't like my Lou Gehrig analogy, let me use a more recent baseball comparison. Theo Epstein, who pretty much everyone agrees is a very smart baseball guy, hired David Ross to manage the Cubs this year. David Ross was a thinking man's player and is generally considered by baseball insiders to have a very sharp baseball mind, but he has zero experience as either a manager or coach at the major league level. Nonetheless, Epstein evidently had enough confidence in Ross' baseball DNA to believe he will be a good manager, despite his lack of experience in that position. At the end of the day, Epstein went with his gut and rolled the dice, just like Brian Kelly did. Both are risky moves, and I am pretty certain that BK realizes the wolves will be waiting at the door.

The Utes can be very sharp at the PlayStation part of the job calling plays on gameday. Probably better than the vets. But there is a lot more to running an offense than that. I am not convinced Rees can implement a scheme, identify talent, recruit against Clemson, resolve incidents among guys just a few years younger than him etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT