ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Alford

Been a long time coming. Alford overstayed his welcome by several years, and his recruiting was very inconsistent. Kept getting burnt by his top targets each recruiting cycle that it started to become a joke amongst the fanbase. The only thing surprising or shocking is where he went to, Michigan of all places.

Apparently the move was in the works for weeks, as Alfords contract was up in February and wasn't renewed. The thing about Day being difficult to work with is utter nonsense. Alford has had a foot out the door for awhile now. Every off-season he would flirt with Colorado State.

Again I'm glad he's gone, the dude is well past his prime and he's an Urban holdover. The only shocking thing is him going to the rival.

On a side note, apparently one of the coaches at the top of the board to replace Alford is DeLand McCullough. I don't know much about him other than he came from the NFL, is at ND right now, and one of his sons was committed to OSU before flipping.

Been a long time coming. Alford overstayed his welcome by several years, and his recruiting was very inconsistent. Kept getting burnt by his top targets each recruiting cycle that it started to become a joke amongst the fanbase. The only thing surprising or shocking is where he went to, Michigan of all places.

Apparently the move was in the works for weeks, as Alfords contract was up in February and wasn't renewed. The thing about Day being difficult to work with is utter nonsense. Alford has had a foot out the door for awhile now. Every off-season he would flirt with Colorado State.

Again I'm glad he's gone, the dude is well past his prime and he's an Urban holdover. The only shocking thing is him going to the rival.
Urban holdover....back when OSU was a real contender

Yeah ok buckylan, good thing Harbaugh is gone. osu was his bitch

Reactions: NDinNJ
Yeah ok buckylan, good thing Harbaugh is gone. osu was his bitch
How many coaches leave their school right after they win a title? Harbaugh and the staff cheated and are running from the NCAA. Harbaugh is the biggest bitch because he had to run a cheating scheme just to beat his rival. He asks for amnesty in his contract and doesn't get it so he dips for the NFL, total loser bitch move.

How many coaches leave their school right after they win a title? Harbaugh and the staff cheated and are running from the NCAA. Harbaugh is the biggest bitch because he had to run a cheating scheme just to beat his rival. He asks for amnesty in his contract and doesn't get it so he dips for the NFL, total loser bitch move.
But...

They did win the title.

Why would DeLand M. Look at a lateral position move to OSU when he wants to be a head coach? Moreover, why would he go to a program that in 9 years has done NOTHING to elevate Tony Alford beyond a rb coach, when it's known he has similar aspirations?

Going to OSU locks him in to being an RB coach for multiple years (and if day loses to Michigan again, I can't imagine he will be there long). Freeman has gone public with support and assistance to get him noticed as a head coach candidate.

Obviously it's his choice, but I don't see OSU as a good fit.

Reactions: Golson5
Bingo! He was not a great recruiter.

Are you nuts! OSU had some damn good backs all courtesy of Alford. This year along, OSU may have the best set of RB's in the country thanks to Alford -- same could have said last fall as well with Williams and Henderson (save for Henderson's injury issues), as well as Hayden. He has had 6-7 1,000 yard rushers during his time.

ND people went nuts when he left for OSU back in 2015 (think that is when he left).

Last edited:
Who’s the last great Running Back Tony Alford landed? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I remember when pers and others lost their minds when he left ND. He left because he wanted to get a head coaching job.

Reactions: HRC08
Was never head coach material. Even his alma mater passed. Outstanding recruiter who was never highly regarded as a position coach. Never seriously considered for a coordinator position anywhere either.
Very good recruiter and position coach. That's why Notre Dame, OSU and Michigan hired him

Are you nuts! OSU had some damn good backs all courtesy of Alford. This year along, OSU may have the best set of RB's in the country thanks to Alford -- same could have said last fall as well with Williams and Henderson (save for Henderson's injury issues), as well as Hayden. He has had 6-7 1,000 yard rushers during his time.

ND people went nuts when he left for OSU back in 2015 (think that is when he left).
Wonder how much of that was pre-NIL NIL.

Very good recruiter and position coach. That's why Notre Dame, OSU and Michigan hired him
All of those schools hired him primarily for his recruiting prowess. Average at best position coach. It's a common opinion throughout the college coaching world. Recruiting is his strength.

Reactions: Telx1 and Pennick4
All of those schools hired him primarily for his recruiting prowess. Average at best position coach. It's a common opinion throughout the college coaching world. Recruiting is his strength.
Very good coach and recruiter no doubt

And BS to your comment. Just total nonsense

I remember when pers and others lost their minds when he left ND. He left because he wanted to get a head coaching job.
Was never that informed or a fan of T.A. And generally stayed out of that Frey.

Harbaugh had a losing overall record against OSU. And besides, ND hasn't beat OSU since the mid 1930s. One more time - the 1930s.
The Northwestern person and the fixation on the 1930's. Add up all of OSU and cheaters titles from the 30's and then compare to ND for us. One more time, from the 30's.
And then, give all us a good laugh and tell us about Northwestern. I know NW is a great school but it did turn out at least one idiot

I think Alford’s reputation as a position coach suffered in comparison to his recruiting abilities. He was a good position coach, but outstanding Recruiter, especially in Florida for Notre Dame.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT