ADVERTISEMENT

Time to join a conference

Catholicfan95

ND Expert
Jun 3, 2013
Its time to put the old ways behind the program and join a conference. The days of indecency are now only hurting the program.

Even with the "Independent" scheduling ND has now they are not playing the great tough schedules of old. Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Boston College, Pitt, Navy, USC and Stanford should be on the schedule every single year. What is the point of this half ( you know what) ACC deal?! It dumbs down the schedule just as much without the tradition ND shares with all those programs listed above. The ACC is not the conference ND should be in to begin with!

You gotta be either all in or all out, its time to go all in with a conference. The best fit is in the Big 10 and there is just no argument to justify any other conference.

Reactions: ohio1980
Its time to put the old ways behind the program and join a conference. The days of indecency are now only hurting the program.

Even with the "Independent" scheduling ND has now they are not playing the great tough schedules of old. Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Boston College, Pitt, Navy, USC and Stanford should be on the schedule every single year. What is the point of this half ( you know what) ACC deal?! It dumbs down the schedule just as much without the tradition ND shares with all those programs listed above. The ACC is not the conference ND should be in to begin with!

You gotta be either all in or all out, its time to go all in with a conference. The best fit is in the Big 10 and there is just no argument to justify any other conference.
Indecency? Also, I have yet to hear any arguments, especially the one above, where it would be justified to ever join a conference? You also stated that Michigan, MSU, Purdue, BC, Pitt, Navy USC and Stanford should be played every year....... that would be impossible in a conference?

And while playing a few mandatory games in the ACC is 'watering down' the SOS, our schedule is still year over year in the top rankings regardless of what teams in the ACC we play.... it also allows us to see some new teams and recruiting areas.

Reactions: Irishjohn68

NO. Just no need to do so.

No, absolutely not. Being independent allows Notre Dame to recruit nationally, keep their rivalries, and more importantly makes them unique.

The only reason for them to join a conference would be if they needed to so that they could compete for titles. They clearly don't need to.

Indecency? Also, I have yet to hear any arguments, especially the one above, where it would be justified to ever join a conference? You also stated that Michigan, MSU, Purdue, BC, Pitt, Navy USC and Stanford should be played every year....... that would be impossible in a conference?

And while playing a few mandatory games in the ACC is 'watering down' the SOS, our schedule is still year over year in the top rankings regardless of what teams in the ACC we play.... it also allows us to see some new teams and recruiting areas.

What I was saying is if you are going to join do not just join for 5 to 6 games. Why not just say full independent and play all those great games?

ND is already in ACC country when it comes to recruiting and has been for the last 5 or 6 years.

Loosing one game a year in a conference wouldn't damage CFP hopes like it does now.

In respectfully disagree ... nurture our traditional rivalries, play 2-3 marquee P5 opponents, add in 5 ACC games and ply 2 mid tier teams. You may see others head this direction like Texas.

Nope, absolutely no need to join a conference. And if you think the best fit is the Big Ten, then you know nothing about ND.

Three posts total? Troll alert.

No, absolutely not. Being independent allows Notre Dame to recruit nationally and more importantly makes them unique.
Notre Dames being idependrecruiting uniqueness
Nope, absolutely no need to join a conference. And if you think the best fit is the Big Ten, then you know nothing about ND.

Three posts total? Troll alert.

I guess its not a possibility I just started posting?

And Big 10 would seem to be best fit for ND. Last time i checked ND is a Midwest program.

Joining a conference is the end of ND football.

Reactions: Leahylads
Does joining a conference really scare people this much? Do you not see the upside to joining a conference? You do not lose your national credibility or luster by joining a conference. It shows an adaptation the program and university are still fighting. Look how long it took for stadium renovations, and how people were crying to leave it be. Its one of the best in the country now, no more freaking woods seats, knees in peoples backs, a great turf field and jumbo tron. All of these took longer than they should have to be put into place because it just "wasnt the ND tradition".

There is going to be a major conference re-alignment coming within the next decade that will totally change the landscape, I suppose just waiting for that is the solution.

Notre Dame is always going to be second best with a mentality of "We are ND, and that makes us better than everyone."

Brian Kelly has come into this program and shot that notion directly in the butt and people have hated him for it, unfairly I might add. Its as if ND fans would rather lose and have their traditions, than win and adapt to the rest of college football world.

You’re not an ND fan , because literally none of us , refer to ND as a Midwest program....

We are a national program , located in Midwest.

Or I just see the school for what it is in 2019 and beyond rather than 1924. Its a national program in the Midwest, what does that even mean?

I guess USC is a national program on the West Coast which doesnt mean its a West Coast School?

Its a geographical fact

Or I just see the school for what it is in 2019 and beyond rather than 1924. Its a national program in the Midwest, what does that even mean?

I guess USC is a national program on the West Coast which doesnt mean its a West Coast School?

Its a geographical fact

No you don’t see shit....

ND in the big 10 means less national exposure makes recruiting harder.......

Makes program worse.

Reactions: Leahylads
Does joining a conference really scare people this much? Do you not see the upside to joining a conference? You do not lose your national credibility or luster by joining a conference. It shows an adaptation the program and university are still fighting. Look how long it took for stadium renovations, and how people were crying to leave it be. Its one of the best in the country now, no more freaking woods seats, knees in peoples backs, a great turf field and jumbo tron. All of these took longer than they should have to be put into place because it just "wasnt the ND tradition".

There is going to be a major conference re-alignment coming within the next decade that will totally change the landscape, I suppose just waiting for that is the solution.

Notre Dame is always going to be second best with a mentality of "We are ND, and that makes us better than everyone."

Brian Kelly has come into this program and shot that notion directly in the butt and people have hated him for it, unfairly I might add. Its as if ND fans would rather lose and have their traditions, than win and adapt to the rest of college football world.

There is no upside to joining a conference. Stop the stupid.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
No you don’t see shit....

ND in the big 10 means less national exposure makes recruiting harder.......

Makes program worse.

Do you not understand that this isnt 1990 anymore, there are plain and 40000000 tv out there with all kinds of college football on them. You think joining a conference would mean that ND would lose its tv deal or its brand?

Also, just saying, when a team hasnt won a major bowl in 20 years and still is the most talked about CF team in the country and arguably the world, i dont think joining a conference is going to hurt that.

And Big 10 would seem to be best fit for ND. Last time i checked ND is a Midwest program.

Now that you started posting, how about if you start thinking? ND has zero in common with most of the Big 10 schools.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Now that you started posting, how about if you start thinking? ND has zero in common with most of the Big 10 schools.

Really, zero in common with Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State?
Seem to be in the same blue blood line and national brands. All with recruiting hands that stretch the entire U.S.

Not to mention geographic commonality

Do you not understand that this isnt 1990 anymore, there are plain and 40000000 tv out there with all kinds of college football on them. You think joining a conference would mean that ND would lose its tv deal or its brand?

Also, just saying, when a team hasnt won a major bowl in 20 years and still is the most talked about CF team in the country and arguably the world, i dont think joining a conference is going to hurt that.

They’re like that because they’re independent

Seem to be in the same blue blood line and national brands. All with recruiting hands that stretch the entire U.S.

All with states known for high school football, and able to recruit a lot of kids instate ..

That s right. Zero in common with those schools. Shows how little you know about ND.

Where is the proof in that ? It’s a great chance for a
National championship??

We've got a million things going on here.

First ND has a brand that has nothing to do with its being independent. If ND joins a conference in any capacity ratings go through the roof, outside of Texas ND is the only other school that can swing ratings sell tickets etc. like that. Being an independent is something that ND sees as a tradition that is unique to them, which is true. But almost all teams use to be independent, the only reason ND stayed so is so they wouldnt have to share the TV money with anyone, back in those days it was a big deal to be on TV every Saturday nation wide. Thats almost every team now so what does being independent give you? Flexability in schedule, well that went out the door with this stupid ACC deal. Play 5 below average power 5 teams every other year in hopes that you get a Clemson, Miami or Florida State in that 5. Even still outside of Clemson the ACC is awful! So now you have 7 games left to schedule two of those always USC and Stanford. So that leaves you 5 real games a year you can play with and 2 or those have to be somewhat easy games ya know. So now you get 2 games to schedule good top 10 power 5 opponents. So being independent really doesnt benefit ya.

ND has only fallen outside of the top 25 recruiting once in the last 25 years and I dont see that repeating itself. Especially given all the improvements to campus and football facilities. and Let us think here for a moment, ND has always gotten the bulk of its talent from out of state. Including Jaylon Smith and Sheldon Day I really cant think of instate that ND isnt getting, but like i said thats not anything new.

Now lets play this game, if you win 11 games and lose one but have another opportunity to win a game against a likely top 25 opponent in a conference championship game and go 12-1 I would say that helps your CFP chances therefore increasing Championship potential, i knew that one would be hard for you to grasp. But that is the truth. Conference championships are freaking cool, coaches wouldnt be showing off Conference championships in their offices for the world to see if they didnt matter in recruiting. I mean honestly kids want as many chances as they can to win big games, joining a conference increases those chances and you cant say it doesnt.

That s right. Zero in common with those schools. Shows how little you know about ND.

The four horseman are cool but I am not sorry im ready to start making some history in this decade.

ND is no better than any other program in the country since the start of 1999, leave the tradition where it belongs, in the past.

The four horseman are cool but I am not sorry im ready to start making some history in this decade.

ND is no better than any other program in the country since the start of 1999, leave the tradition where it belongs, in the past.

What this all has to do with joining a conference I'll never know.

Yeah, you definitely don’t get it if you think it only has to do with geography.

Just started posting after joining in 2013? I suspect we’ve seen you before, just under a different name. Garden variety trolling.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

Go join one and report back in a few years.

Respectfully disagree.

The only way it ever happens is if we went undefeated more than once and was left out of the playoffs in favor of a one loss power 5 team.

If the playoffs expand to more than 5 which I hope only ever goes to 6.

We will be an independent forever so I’m hoping the playoffs eventually choose 6 teams.

The poster makes some valid points. If playoffs move to 8 teams it’s not something that will be considered. But I’m having a hard time seeing the advantages of being independent. This year is a perfect example, Ga loss not a make or break deal if we’re in a conference because there’s still season ending conference championship statement game. If Ga lost to us but won the SEC they would be in the playoffs. If we were full ACC and won ACC championship we would in all likelihood be in. Now we have to rely on our schedule to outperform. On paper this is looking like a pretty piss poor schedule so we basically have to go undefeated. Play full ACC, one cali school, navy and one other gimme. Furthermore conference championships are exciting games it makes no sense for others to play and we sit on the sidelines. I know a lot of posters feel strongly about independence what do you guys perceive all the advantages are? Other than creating the schedule. Which by the way was a hell of a lot more exciting 15-20 years ago when we could honestly say we played the hardest schedules year in year out of ANYONE. Now the schedule is littered with uninteresting, meaningless games. If independence meant we would have a special schedule that was really unique, well that’s pretty cool. But I don’t see the schedule being that unique anymore. Certainly not like Lou and others had to deal with. Anyway, what are all the other advantages?

Reactions: Riverside Irish

same old drivel from faux Irish fan

your post is not worth the effort of pissing on it

The poster makes some valid points. If playoffs move to 8 teams it’s not something that will be considered. But I’m having a hard time seeing the advantages of being independent. This year is a perfect example, Ga loss not a make or break deal if we’re in a conference because there’s still season ending conference championship statement game. If Ga lost to us but won the SEC they would be in the playoffs. If we were full ACC and won ACC championship we would in all likelihood be in. Now we have to rely on our schedule to outperform. On paper this is looking like a pretty piss poor schedule so we basically have to go undefeated. Play full ACC, one cali school, navy and one other gimme. Furthermore conference championships are exciting games it makes no sense for others to play and we sit on the sidelines. I know a lot of posters feel strongly about independence what do you guys perceive all the advantages are? Other than creating the schedule. Which by the way was a hell of a lot more exciting 15-20 years ago when we could honestly say we played the hardest schedules year in year out of ANYONE. Now the schedule is littered with uninteresting, meaningless games. If independence meant we would have a special schedule that was really unique, well that’s pretty cool. But I don’t see the schedule being that unique anymore. Certainly not like Lou and others had to deal with. Anyway, what are all the other advantages?

I think scheduling who we want to schedule is huge. Didn't you think the UGA game was great for CFB? We play other SEC schools in the future. Do you want to piss that away so we can schedule more games against ACC schools? I am interested in seeing how ND matches up against quality opponents, not in providing ND with the easiest way to make the playoffs.
The ACC championship? Does zero for me. Zero.

Reactions: Classic Irish
This year is a perfect example, Ga loss not a make or break deal if we’re in a conference because there’s still season ending conference championship statement game.
That makes the CCG the make or break game. So far the PC has ignored all the 12-1 teams who were undefeated but lost their first game in the CCG.

Also just because the other conf devalue their season with a CCG does not mean ND should.

Reactions: NDSMC78
I think scheduling who we want to schedule is huge. Didn't you think the UGA game was great for CFB? We play other SEC schools in the future. Do you want to piss that away so we can schedule more games against ACC schools? I am interested in seeing how ND matches up against quality opponents, not in providing ND with the easiest way to make the playoffs.
The ACC championship? Does zero for me. Zero.
Definitely was great for college football couldn’t agree more on that point. My issue is we are ultimately penalizing ourselves whereas conference participants get at least one guaranteed bogey. 2 loss teams are in the discussion that won’t happen for us. I’m not seeing the huge benefits to independence. There must be a $ component that I’m not up on

Definitely was great for college football couldn’t agree more on that point. My issue is we are ultimately penalizing ourselves whereas conference participants get at least one guaranteed bogey. 2 loss teams are in the discussion that won’t happen for us. I’m not seeing the huge benefits to independence. There must be a $ component that I’m not up on

As I stated earlier, I am not concerned with creating the easiest path for ND to make the playoffs.

They would be the tail on the dog in the Big Ten.

Reactions: NDSMC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT