Time to join a conference

you earn what you get

we insult moronic trolls as they deserve

ignorant entitled millennials like you we just laugh at usually

bottom line is that YOU DON'T MATTER

YOU NEVER HAVE

YOU NEVER WILL

I'm sorry but you don't know me.

You're scared of different opinions with substance that carry validity and it's clear when you begin to sling insults. It's a classic sign of fear and ignorance.

People with lower IQ's normally result to such tactics when the issues and conversations are above their knowledge level. It's a defense mechanism, they lack the ability to have a fluent conversation even in the midst of different outlooks.

Quite embarrassing for you to resort to such conversational tactics. It's tough to have a different opinion when you know you're going to get slammed by people but I do it because even though a lot of you seem to be way off base with where I'm coming from, I enjoy to hear other perspectives, respectfully.

I suggest you do the same or just don't comment on my post. It's not hard to have decent character even if it is an online platform.

I'm sorry but you don't know me.

You're scared of different opinions with substance that carry validity and it's clear when you begin to sling insults. It's a classic sign of fear and ignorance.

People with lower IQ's normally result to such tactics when the issues and conversations are above their knowledge level. It's a defense mechanism, they lack the ability to have a fluent conversation even in the midst of different outlooks.

Quite embarrassing for you to resort to such conversational tactics. It's tough to have a different opinion when you know you're going to get slammed by people but I do it because even though a lot of you seem to be way off base with where I'm coming from, I enjoy to hear other perspectives, respectfully.

I suggest you do the same or just don't comment on my post. It's not hard to have decent character even if it is an online platform.
YAWN.

the only embarrassment around here is YOU

You are just another doofus that is good for nothing but ridicule

We do not need to join a conference because we practically speaking will gain nothing from it

Now for entitled little morons that think the world revolves around their butt that is hard to understand

WE don't need the money
We don't need anything from a conference

If we take care of business on the field nothing else matters
fact is that we have not

As regards recruiting joining a conference will CHANGE NOTHING

we cannot get the talent others can because of two reasons that joining a conference WILL NOT CHANGE

Our academic standards and the fact that it gets cold in South Bend in the winter.

Most of the best talent wants to play somewhere warmer than South Bend
Most of the best talent CANNOT QUALIFY

and certain idiots drivel will not change those FACTS

We do not need to join a conference because we practically speaking will gain nothing from it

Now for entitled little morons that think the world revolves around their butt that is hard to understand

WE don't need the money
We don't need anything from a conference

If we take care of business on the field nothing else matters
fact is that we have not

As regards recruiting joining a conference will CHANGE NOTHING

we cannot get the talent others can because of two reasons that joining a conference WILL NOT CHANGE

Our academic standards and the fact that it gets cold in South Bend in the winter.

Most of the best talent wants to play somewhere warmer than South Bend
Most of the best talent CANNOT QUALIFY

and certain idiots drivel will not change those FACTS

I guess Ohio State is just an anomaly then?

Think there's a lot that can be learned from Ohio State and their success in recruiting. Among other things they are extremely successful with.

I guess Ohio State is just an anomaly then?

Think there's a lot that can be learned from Ohio State and their success in recruiting. Among other things they are extremely successful with.

Aaaaaaaaaaand this post highlights why we know you're a troll - and an Ohio State fan, to boot!

No Notre Dame fan on this board (and I'm not being figurative, I'm being very literal) would EVER compliment Ohio State. Ever.

Reactions: francade
Aaaaaaaaaaand this post highlights why we know you're a troll - and an Ohio State fan, to boot!

No Notre Dame fan on this board (and I'm not being figurative, I'm being very literal) would EVER compliment Ohio State. Ever.

Or I just used that in an argument to prove a valid point ?

Also..."Catholicfan95"? Really? C'mon man....at least give it a try. That would be like one of us going to your Ohio State board with a handle like, "WoodyHayesisthegreatest." .

Reactions: Leahylads
Or I just used that in an argument to prove a valid point ?

LOL, whatever you say man. There are a million other ways to prove a point without bringing how Ohio State is amazing at so many things. You got found out man. Just accept it and move on.

LOL, whatever you say man. There are a million other ways to prove a point without bringing how Ohio State is amazing at so many things. You got found out man. Just accept it and move on.

Seriously? Just calling a spade a spade.

Didn't know ND had a long standing rivalry with Ohio State? seeing as the last time we played then in the regular season was when??

Seriously? Just calling a spade a spade.

Didn't know ND had a long standing rivalry with Ohio State? seeing as the last time we played then in the regular season was when??

You know what else Ohio State is really good at? Players getting arrested, coaches ignoring domestic violence, players not going there to "play school," lying to the NCAA about players receiving monetary benefits from local businesses, allegations of sexual misconduct by a school doctor, and more.

You know what else Ohio State is really good at? Players getting arrested, coaches ignoring domestic violence, players not going there to "play school," lying to the NCAA about players receiving monetary benefits from local businesses, allegations of sexual misconduct by a school doctor, and more.

Point is this: Ohio State is NOT the measuring stick for Notre Dame, and ANY Notre Dame fan knows that.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Point I'm trying to make with this is that joining the big10 would not compromise ND as a national brand n recruitment

On that point, I agree. It wouldn't necessarily hurt our brand, but I think it would hurt our recruiting efforts. Playing games yearly in California and down south help us show recruits what it's like to be at a Notre Dame game. It also lets them know that by joining ND, they will have opportunities to travel across the country, getting maximum exposure to as many geographical locations (and potential scouts) as possible. It's a big selling point for ND - why give that away if there isn't a need to do so?

On that point, I agree. It wouldn't necessarily hurt our brand, but I think it would hurt our recruiting efforts. Playing games yearly in California and down south help us show recruits what it's like to be at a Notre Dame game. It also lets them know that by joining ND, they will have opportunities to travel across the country, getting maximum exposure to as many geographical locations (and potential scouts) as possible. It's a big selling point for ND - why give that away if there isn't a need to do so?

So we can still keep those games with SC and Stanford which are nice because they are more beneficial for recruiting trips than anything, kinda two birds one stone thing with a game to play.

Your points are spot on and I agree with them all really. My thing is by joining a conference, for me I prefer the Big10, we have such a greater shot at winning Championships, securing regional rivalries and getting into the CFP. To me I think there is a need to do so because of how the CFP format is set up even if it goes to an 8 team in the future we'd have much more security to have a chance.

Because we’re not in a conference the guys don’t have much to play for except hope—-hope a bunch of teams fail, hope our schedule outperforms, hope the committee values a “ good loss” It makes no sense at all. Instead of losing to Ga and still being able to control our own destiny with a conference title and win over probably Clemson we have to hope we can back into it. Sit on the sidelines and watch a bunch of conference championship games and hope the chips fall our way. I much rather have some control over my destiny. I still haven’t heard one good argument as to why we play a half acc schedule in football and all other sports are all in. As much as it may pain some , there really isn’t anything that special going on with nd football, and I’m a fan.

Going 12-1 with a conference championship doesn’t mean you get in.....

Further “nothing to play for?”

Every week they have something to play for.

So we can still keep those games with SC and Stanford which are nice because they are more beneficial for recruiting trips than anything, kinda two birds one stone thing with a game to play.

Your points are spot on and I agree with them all really. My thing is by joining a conference, for me I prefer the Big10, we have such a greater shot at winning Championships, securing regional rivalries and getting into the CFP. To me I think there is a need to do so because of how the CFP format is set up even if it goes to an 8 team in the future we'd have much more security to have a chance.

Big10 can be rough sledding if we are in the East. Not terrible, but tough.

And I agree that not having a Conference Championship does hurt us in terms of the current playoff model. But we proved last year that we could still get in even without a CC to our name. ND brings in BIG money, and that's partly because we travel around the country to play all these teams. Just look at the Georgia game. They set the all-time record for attendance in Georgia. We would never have gotten an opportunity to play them (or, it would have been VERY difficult) had we been a Big10 member, assuming we kept the Cali teams and Navy on the schedule.

Going 12-1 with a conference championship doesn’t mean you get in.....

Further “nothing to play for?”

Every week they have something to play for.

I would be shocked if a 12-1 conference champion, any conference, didn't make the playoff. Absolutely shocked

Big10 can be rough sledding if we are in the East. Not terrible, but tough.

And I agree that not having a Conference Championship does hurt us in terms of the current playoff model. But we proved last year that we could still get in even without a CC to our name. ND brings in BIG money, and that's partly because we travel around the country to play all these teams. Just look at the Georgia game. They set the all-time record for attendance in Georgia. We would never have gotten an opportunity to play them (or, it would have been VERY difficult) had we been a Big10 member, assuming we kept the Cali teams and Navy on the schedule.

ND has the X factor that no one on the committee wants to admit and you nailed it on the head. Big money, big ratings and you can't beat that. I just know that one day that theory will crumble when we're 11-1 or even 10-2 without a conference championship to give us another shot to win a huge game we'll be left out.

ND has the X factor that no one on the committee wants to admit and you nailed it on the head. Big money, big ratings and you can't beat that. I just know that one day that theory will crumble when we're 11-1 or even 10-2 without a conference championship to give us another shot to win a huge game we'll be left out.

This may be the year. If our only loss is to Georgia (who we hope goes undefeated), but are still left out, I think some people may change their tune. We will see!

Glad we started off hot, but then were able to have a rational conversation, lol.

This may be the year. If our only loss is to Georgia (who we hope goes undefeated), but are still left out, I think some people may change their tune. We will see!

Glad we started off hot, but then were able to have a rational conversation, lol.

Lol I'm not as crazy or anti ND as some make me out to be my friend. We're on the same team

Reactions: Kontiki09
I have made this argument in the past. It is beneficial for ND to join the Big10 regardless of sports. ND fits right in with most of the Big10 schools who are big research universities. Just as the Big10 coordinates sports it coordinates academics. I'm presuming the Big10 universities still do various initiatives like the old CICNET.

The 2nd reason is ND would fit right into the Big10 West. ND would be very competitive verses Wisconsin. By being a year to year favorite to win the Big10 West ND would have an extra game verses OSU to pad the resume. If you beat OSU in the Big Ten Championship you are all but assured of making the playoffs. The implication is you beat Wisc and OSU plus any Big Ten East Crossover. So plenty of strength of schedule.

I see no issues with recruiting. All of the top programs recruit nationally. Recruiting is now a national endeavor. Its not like all of the best basketball stars in Indiana go to IU any longer.

I also think long term all of the athletic programs will benefit by playing adjacent schools. No more complaints of traveling 7000 miles in three weeks. South Bend is a bus ride to NW, IU, Illinois, Wisc, Purdue, MSU, and UM.

I have made this argument in the past. It is beneficial for ND to join the Big10 regardless of sports. ND fits right in with most of the Big10 schools who are big research universities. Just as the Big10 coordinates sports it coordinates academics. I'm presuming the Big10 universities still do various initiatives like the old CICNET.

The 2nd reason is ND would fit right into the Big10 West. ND would be very competitive verses Wisconsin. By being a year to year favorite to win the Big10 West ND would have an extra game verses OSU to pad the resume. If you beat OSU in the Big Ten Championship you are all but assured of making the playoffs. The implication is you beat Wisc and OSU plus any Big Ten East Crossover. So plenty of strength of schedule.

I see no issues with recruiting. All of the top programs recruit nationally. Recruiting is now a national endeavor. Its not like all of the best basketball stars in Indiana go to IU any longer.

I also think long term all of the athletic programs will benefit by playing adjacent schools. No more complaints of traveling 7000 miles in three weeks. South Bend is a bus ride to NW, IU, Illinois, Wisc, Purdue, MSU, and UM.

This makes no sense.

The Big10 is a terrible fit for ND, which is why ND will NEVER join it.
(thus the relationship with the ACC)
  • ND is not a major graduate research university -- Undergrad focused
  • ND is not a degree mill -- small, elite academic institution
  • ND is not public -- private religious school with related principles
  • ND's alumni base isn't midwest dominate -- nationwide, esp in the NE
  • etc.
Beyond that, ND loses visibility in the most key recruiting areas (Southeast, Mid-Atlantic) by joining the Big10.

It's literally all downside.

Exhibit B: Outside of never getting in playoff with one loss. I saw one of those predicting what bowl every team falls into. ND was predicted to play Boise St. This is just the kind of scenario ND will fall into since most bowls are already contractually obligated with power 5 conferences.

This makes no sense.

The Big10 is a terrible fit for ND, which is why ND will NEVER join it.
(thus the relationship with the ACC)
  • ND is not a major graduate research university -- Undergrad focused
  • ND is not a degree mill -- small, elite academic institution
  • ND is not public -- private religious school with related principles
  • ND's alumni base isn't midwest dominate -- nationwide, esp in the NE
  • etc.
Beyond that, ND loses visibility in the most key recruiting areas (Southeast, Mid-Atlantic) by joining the Big10.

It's literally all downside.

Okay so have you looked at Ohio State, Michigan or Penn states rosters? Extremely national so that argument for loss of recruitment doesn't work.

It's all about football and it would be a good fit. So who cares about where the alumni come from? You're really not looking at this in the correct perspective which has been my point for a week. Joining the Big 10 or another conference would not take anything away from the luster of ND.

Not to mention geographically the big 10 is where we belong.

Exhibit B: Outside of never getting in playoff with one loss. I saw one of those predicting what bowl every team falls into. ND was predicted to play Boise St. This is just the kind of scenario ND will fall into since most bowls are already contractually obligated with power 5 conferences.

Spot on! ND in the rose bowl would be ratings out the roof!

Okay so have you looked at Ohio State, Michigan or Penn states rosters? Extremely national so that argument for loss of recruitment doesn't work.

It's all about football and it would be a good fit. So who cares about where the alumni come from? You're really not looking at this in the correct perspective which has been my point for a week. Joining the Big 10 or another conference would not take anything away from the luster of ND.

Not to mention geographically the big 10 is where we belong.

This is wrong.

First of all, the question is NOT:
"Is it possible to recruit nationally without playing nationally?"
But rather it IS:
"Does playing nationally help you to recruit nationally?"

As the answer is obviously YES, we should not rationalize our schedule.

Furthermore, there is A LOT more to the decision than just football.
(see all of the things I listed above)

And joining the Big10 is bad for football anyways.

I wouldn't join a conference right now, there is simply no reason to. But if/when we have to, the ACC is by far the best choice for us.

That's why the admin has created a relationship with the ACC.

This is wrong.

First of all, the question is NOT:
"Is it possible to recruit nationally without playing nationally?"
But rather it IS:
"Does playing nationally help you to recruit nationally?"

As the answer is obviously YES, we should not rationalize our schedule.

Furthermore, there is A LOT more to the decision than just football.
(see all of the things I listed above)

And joining the Big10 is bad for football anyways.

I wouldn't join a conference right now, there is simply no reason to. But if/when we have to, the ACC is by far the best choice for us.

That's why the admin has created a relationship with the ACC.

Can you please explain what makes a national schedule?

And if it helps in recruiting show me the proof because we haven't cracked the top 5 in I believe 6 years. I could be wrong on that though.

Can you please explain what makes a national schedule?

And if it helps in recruiting show me the proof because we haven't cracked the top 5 in I believe 6 years. I could be wrong on that though.

A "national schedule" would be playing numerous games in multiple regions of the country on a regular basis, obviously.

As for it's impact on recruiting, you only have to casually read what recruits say to see that it's true.

Recruits frequently/constantly cite the fact that ND plays games in their area as one of the major draws to ND.

This is about as open and shut as a topic can be.

A "national schedule" would be playing numerous games in multiple regions of the country on a regular basis, obviously.

As for it's impact on recruiting, you only have to casually read what recruits say to see that it's true.

Recruits frequently/constantly cite the fact that ND plays games in their area as one of the major draws to ND.

Okay, once again recruits say it's nice but where's the proof it's making a huge difference being independent? I'd argue it's Notre Dames brand that draws them before anything else. You don't think we could still play SC, Stanford or Navy every year if we played in a conference?

Right now we're contractually obligated to play 5 ACC teams so, to your point that gives us 2/3 games in that region. Which if you look at recruiting we've been in that area since BK took over and with success, that's before playing there like we do now. So where's your proof it's bringing in recruits from that area, we've already been doing that. 1 game in California every year to end the year which wouldn't have to be thrown out. We've been a main stay in California for literally the beginning of time. UGA was an awesome away game that was obviously the best thing that schools ever been apart of. But once again we've recruited Georgia really well.

Joining the Big10 wouldn't damper that but if it's the ACC okay I'll take it. Either or it's time to go fully in.

We're playing the 7th easiest schedule in the country this year. There was a time where NDs schedule was the standard, it's not that way anymore

Reactions: Rionegro

We don't play a ranked game in November

Okay, once again recruits say it's nice but where's the proof it's making a huge difference being independent? I'd argue it's Notre Dames brand that draws them before anything else. You don't think we could still play SC, Stanford or Navy every year if we played in a conference?

Right now we're contractually obligated to play 5 ACC teams so, to your point that gives us 2/3 games in that region. Which if you look at recruiting we've been in that area since BK took over and with success, that's before playing there like we do now. So where's your proof it's bringing in recruits from that area, we've already been doing that. 1 game in California every year to end the year which wouldn't have to be thrown out. We've been a main stay in California for literally the beginning of time. UGA was an awesome away game that was obviously the best thing that schools ever been apart of. But once again we've recruited Georgia really well.

Joining the Big10 wouldn't damper that but if it's the ACC okay I'll take it. Either or it's time to go fully in.

We're playing the 7th easiest schedule in the country this year. There was a time where NDs schedule was the standard, it's not that way anymore

You seem deeply confused and misinformed.

1st, we didn't just start playing in the South and Mid-Atlantic at the start of our relationship with the ACC....we had been oding that for decades before. So your "point" there is literally meaningless.

Again, the proof that it helps comes from the recruits themselves....telling you that it's a major factor in their recruitments.

There is simply no reason to reason to join a conference right now.
But if we need to later, it's the ACC by a mile.

Furthermore, we do NOT play one of the easiest schedules in the nation this year, or any year.

We don't play a ranked game in November

Cherry-Pick much??

We play 3-4 ranked teams this season, based on current rankings. That's about average, nationally. Typically, we play even more than that.

Furthermore, you have no way of knowing who will ultimately end up ranked or not ranked in November.
(Duke may well be Top25 by the time we play them)

ND's scheduling is far, far more than adequate.

You seem deeply confused and misinformed.

1st, we didn't just start playing in the South and Mid-Atlantic at the start of our relationship with the ACC....we had been oding that for decades before. So your "point" there is literally meaningless.

Again, the proof that it helps comes from the recruits themselves....telling you that it's a major factor in their recruitments.

There is simply no reason to reason to join a conference right now.
But if we need to later, it's the ACC by a mile.

Furthermore, we do NOT play one of the easiest schedules in the nation this year, or any year.

You're literally not understanding anything I'm typing here, because you're twisting what I'm saying.

Your points hold no more or no less validity than what mine do so let's just agree to disagree

It could be useful for trying to make the Playoff, especially in a season where we drop a game to a highly-ranked team, but then the rest of our schedule doesn't appear as strong as usual (like this year). E.g., beating Clemson in an ACC championship game.

But, if they expanded the Playoff to 6 or 8 teams, it might become less necessary. But right now, with only 4 spots, there's little margin for error. So we'll likely need some help to get in at 11-1 this year.

It could be useful for trying to make the Playoff, especially in a season where we drop a game to a highly-ranked team, but then the rest of our schedule doesn't appear as strong as usual (like this year). E.g., beating Clemson in an ACC championship game.

But, if they expanded the Playoff to 6 or 8 teams, it might become less necessary. But right now, with only 4 spots, there's little margin for error.

Also the Big10 as a whole, top to bottom is better than the ACC. Right now the Big10 plays 9 conference games with 14 teams with the addition of a 15th in ND I'm betting they'd revert back to 8 which still leaves 4 slots.

Piggy backing off of that we would play regional rivals almost weekly in conference, but still have room to play SC Stanford and Navy.

You're literally not understanding anything I'm typing here, because you're twisting what I'm saying.

Your points hold no more or no less validity than what mine do so let's just agree to disagree

I'm understanding your "points" just fine, that's how I'm debunking them.

And my points are referencing specific comments by actual recruits, actual decisions by the ND admin, etc.

They carry far more weight than your debunked "points".

The reality is that there is no need for ND to join a conference currently, but if/when there ever is a need, the ACC makes the most sense....for numerous reasons (football being the largest of them).

The Big10 makes 0 sense for ND, which is why we've spurned them.

I'm understanding your "points" just fine, that's how I'm debunking them.

And my points are referencing specific comments by actual recruits, actual decisions by the ND admin, etc.

They carry far more weight than your debunked "points".

The reality is that there is no need for ND to join a conference currently, but if/when there ever is a need, the ACC makes the most sense....for numerous reasons (football being the largest of them).

The Big10 makes 0 sense for ND, which is why we've spurned them.

Dude I've sat here and made counter arguments and you just don't answer them with anything that is of substance to me. You've said the same damn thing everyone else has said for a week and I've answered and countered.

You act like you've made some great resounding finds that I've not heard. You didn't cite recruits, do you know what a citation is? You said "recruits say" they ain't specific. As to the Nd admin. I could give a rip, it's a football message board so save that for coffee with the club members.

If you think your out here proving a point your not, it's just spinning wheels so like I've said agree to disagree.

Dude I've sat here and made counter arguments and you just don't answer them with anything that is of substance to me. You've said the same damn thing everyone else has said for a week and I've answered and countered.

You act like you've made some great resounding finds that I've not heard. You didn't cite recruits, do you know what a citation is? You said "recruits say" they ain't specific. As to the Nd admin. I could give a rip, it's a football message board so save that for coffee with the club members.

If you think your out here proving a point your not, it's just spinning wheels so like I've said agree to disagree.

Again, you have failed to back up your "disagreement" with anything but your own irrelevant personal preferences.

While my points have been backed up by states of recruits themselves and the actual analysis and decisions of the ND Admin itself.

The fact that you don't like that support does absolutely nothing to undercut it.

Either do better or simply admit that you've been exposed and your "point" completely debunked.

Again, you have failed to back up your "disagreement" with anything but your own irrelevant personal preferences.

While my points have been backed up by states of recruits themselves and the actual analysis and decisions of the ND Admin itself.

The fact that you don't like that support does absolutely nothing to undercut it.

Either do better or simply admit that you've been exposed and your "point" completely debunked.

Debunked by your opinion, that's why its your opinion and I have mine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT