ADVERTISEMENT

The 2017 Irish if Kizer Stayed

Plain and simple if Kizer stayed we would be 11-0. We could pass and run be very balanced. BW needs major work passing the football if he could just be a threat our offense would be elite.

Plain and simple if Kizer stayed we would be 11-0. We could pass and run be very balanced. BW needs major work passing the football if he could just be a threat our offense would be elite.
Hardly plain and simple as you say. Kizer certainly the better passer but wimbush much better at "running" the offense as a whole. Look no further than the red zone efficiency. His decision making is vastly superior to kizers. As bad as the Browns are kizer has the same issues there as he had in 2016. Play clock management, holding the ball too long, poor decision,late throws.

Reactions: Pennick4
Maybe we should shelve this debate until the season is over and we have Wimbush’s entire body of work to assess and compare. I’m personally hoping an 11-2 record with Wimbush running the offense squashes any interest in any Kizer what ifs!

Hardly plain and simple as you say. Kizer certainly the better passer but wimbush much better at "running" the offense as a whole. Look no further than the red zone efficiency. His decision making is vastly superior to kizers. As bad as the Browns are kizer has the same issues there as he had in 2016. Play clock management, holding the ball too long, poor decision,late throws.
You realize the Browns have other options at QB and yet they are still rolling with Kizer, right? Hogan and Kessler have more experience, not just more NFL experience but specifically more experience with the Browns offense, they were each given separate chances to start and both struggled to the point the Browns still think Kizer is their best option. The issue isn't the Browns QB's it's the Browns. No one thought Kizer should have been starting year 1 in the NFL anyway let alone game 1 and yet he did. That's a credit to him. Now, unfortunately, I still believe the Browns are a ridiculously poorly run organization. I wish they had broken their own trend of making terrible decisions and allowed Kizer to sit and watch this year even though there wasn't a solid veteran QB he could learn from. Throwing him into the fire behind a sub-par offensive line and with a receiving corps that would probably rank last in the NFL wasn't the best situation to learn. But sure, for those who think DK was a big part of the problem last year and not BK, his struggles in the NFL only reaffirm their opinion. As for me, I think all of our problems last year, including red zone efficiency and turnovers, were almost completely a coaching problem. BK has said as much. He made wholesale changes in the coaching staff and his coaching philosophy. That is the difference this year.

For the record, I like BW. I'm completely fine with how things worked out for him and DK. I think DK made the right decision to go pro (although, if he knew for sure he was going to be drafted by the Browns he likely would have reconsidered). I'm glad BW got his shot to run the team this year and I'm happy with how he's run this offense, but he still has a lot of room to grow. One area is his decision making, and no, that is not an area where he is better than DK let alone vastly superior. The number one reason our offense is successful this year is our running game. We have the 6th best rushing offense in the country. The o-line, RBs, and BW's running ability have everything to do with that ranking. BW's decision making has little to do with it. BW struggles in the passing game and a primary reason for that struggle is his indecision. He is slow to read defenses and he is slow to make throws. Many receivers have been open but he has been too late to get them the ball. His accuracy is an issue but not as much as his slow decision making. Hopefully, that can be fixed. I recognize this is only his first year as starter so I expect he will show significant improvement next year as a passer. I'm hoping his year 2 as a starter will be much better than Kizer's year 2, but I don't think I need to tear down Kizer to show my support for BW. I know this thread is based on a provocative question that requires us to pick which QB we think would do better, and that's fine, but, although I think we would have beaten UGA with DK and thus had a better record, I don't think there's any reason to tear BW down to make my case. He's a really good QB. I just think he's not as good as DK at this stage in his development yet.

You realize the Browns have other options at QB and yet they are still rolling with Kizer, right? Hogan and Kessler have more experience, not just more NFL experience but specifically more experience with the Browns offense, they were each given separate chances to start and both struggled to the point the Browns still think Kizer is their best option. The issue isn't the Browns QB's it's the Browns. No one thought Kizer should have been starting year 1 in the NFL anyway let alone game 1 and yet he did. That's a credit to him. Now, unfortunately, I still believe the Browns are a ridiculously poorly run organization. I wish they had broken their own trend of making terrible decisions and allowed Kizer to sit and watch this year even though there wasn't a solid veteran QB he could learn from. Throwing him into the fire behind a sub-par offensive line and with a receiving corps that would probably rank last in the NFL wasn't the best situation to learn. But sure, for those who think DK was a big part of the problem last year and not BK, his struggles in the NFL only reaffirm their opinion. As for me, I think all of our problems last year, including red zone efficiency and turnovers, were almost completely a coaching problem. BK has said as much. He made wholesale changes in the coaching staff and his coaching philosophy. That is the difference this year.

For the record, I like BW. I'm completely fine with how things worked out for him and DK. I think DK made the right decision to go pro (although, if he knew for sure he was going to be drafted by the Browns he likely would have reconsidered). I'm glad BW got his shot to run the team this year and I'm happy with how he's run this offense, but he still has a lot of room to grow. One area is his decision making, and no, that is not an area where he is better than DK let alone vastly superior. The number one reason our offense is successful this year is our running game. We have the 6th best rushing offense in the country. The o-line, RBs, and BW's running ability have everything to do with that ranking. BW's decision making has little to do with it. BW struggles in the passing game and a primary reason for that struggle is his indecision. He is slow to read defenses and he is slow to make throws. Many receivers have been open but he has been too late to get them the ball. His accuracy is an issue but not as much as his slow decision making. Hopefully, that can be fixed. I recognize this is only his first year as starter so I expect he will show significant improvement next year as a passer. I'm hoping his year 2 as a starter will be much better than Kizer's year 2, but I don't think I need to tear down Kizer to show my support for BW. I know this thread is based on a provocative question that requires us to pick which QB we think would do better, and that's fine, but, although I think we would have beaten UGA with DK and thus had a better record, I don't think there's any reason to tear BW down to make my case. He's a really good QB. I just think he's not as good as DK at this stage in his development yet.
Agree with most everything you said. Browns are the worst organization in professional sports. . Living here in Ohio I ve watched most Browns games. It's a bad situation for a young QB, but his play has been a big part of their problems too. A lot of really poor decision making at the position. His audible to a QB sneak two weeks ago with no timeouts was inexcusable. He has a lot to learn and the scuttle is the Browns will be looking to draft yet another QB high next year.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT