ADVERTISEMENT

"T-E-A-M"=Notre Dame

BGI User 348

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Pennsylvania
As a former player--I NEVER thought that any Coach from midgets thru College should be fired even after a loss. It was rare that a coaches call lost any game; it was a lot more obvious that we the players screwed up.

As a former Coach--I NEVER once thought of firing any assistant during the season for his coaching. I did develop thoughts that one or two needed not to return but that was over weeks of a season. My message as a HC was always the same---WE WIN and LOSE AS a TEAM.

In my experience this "fire the coach" talk is just from "fanatics" and bears no connection to the reality of what goes into preparing for a SEASON. And definitely cannot be made by us fans after one hard-fought loss. BK, BVG and this entire ND 2016 TEAM are in this together and the TEAM showed NO QUIT last night and I for one am NOT quitting on them.

FIGHT ON IRISH!!!

BEAT nevada!!!

That there are problems should be uncontestedly obvious. They need to be addressed at seasons end; but let's not give up on the young men playing for ND. We saw, we vented we learned and acknowledged the state of the matters.
post season:
It does behoove the AD to reassess the state of the program, the entire football staff; ND administration must reassess the stated mission statement so that is is clear both from statement and actions. Do the words and actions mimic the stated objectives? Stand pat=fall behind.

There are 11 games and hope is 11 proud displays of 'play like a champion'

As a former player--I NEVER thought that any Coach from midgets thru College should be fired even after a loss. It was rare that a coaches call lost any game; it was a lot more obvious that we the players screwed up.

As a former Coach--I NEVER once thought of firing any assistant during the season for his coaching. I did develop thoughts that one or two needed not to return but that was over weeks of a season. My message as a HC was always the same---WE WIN and LOSE AS a TEAM.

In my experience this "fire the coach" talk is just from "fanatics" and bears no connection to the reality of what goes into preparing for a SEASON. And definitely cannot be made by us fans after one hard-fought loss. BK, BVG and this entire ND 2016 TEAM are in this together and the TEAM showed NO QUIT last night and I for one am NOT quitting on them.

FIGHT ON IRISH!!!

BEAT nevada!!!

Sweet thoughts, but it begs the question what exactly you've been watching the past three years in terms of Defense. If every team is different, but the results are the same...It must be our fault for not supporting them enough, right?

Reactions: theskibro
Assuming Kelly has the stones to address the problem...and yes it is a problem then sure...wait until the end of the season. Not like any reasonable coach would be available now anyway.

Reactions: theskibro
BK's comments today were right on! One writer requoted Aaron Rodgers last year telling fans to Relax. It was ONE game. Offense still is our strength and they had the lead and could not put the game away. Yes defense needs to get much better---which I expect it to. Not by firing anybody---just by day in & day out improvement. THAT is how a TEAM makes progress over the course of a season.

GET BETTER ND!!!

Sweet thoughts, but it begs the question what exactly you've been watching the past three years in terms of Defense. If every team is different, but the results are the same...It must be our fault for not supporting them enough, right?
One of my pet peeves is the incorrect use of the phrase, "begs the question". Please google it. No offense; I've heard professional journalists and educators misuse the phrase too.

Kelly said afixing blame on the D is monday morn quarterbacking!

flash coach: blame=
1. the head coach
2. the DC

and we placed it by halftime and then it just compounded!

Is this man out of touch with reality?

I hope he reads or is read this post because his comment is very telling and troubling!

One of my pet peeves is the incorrect use of the phrase, "begs the question". Please google it. No offense; I've heard professional journalists and educators misuse the phrase too.

Fair enough...personal foul on me for incorrect usage of phrase to make a point. Please substitute "raises" for "begs".

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program already in progress!

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
you assume without proof the stand/position, or a significant part of the stand, that is in question. Begging the question is also called arguing in a circle.

ex: Happiness is the highest good for a human being, since all other values are inferior to it.

The fallacy of begging the question occurs when an argument's premises assume the truth of the conclusion, instead of supporting it. In other words, you assume without proof the stand/position, or a significant part of the stand, that is in question. Begging the question is also called arguing in a circle.

Kelly said afixing blame on the D is monday morn quarterbacking!

flash coach: blame=
1. the head coach
2. the DC

and we placed it by halftime and then it just compounded!

Is this man out of touch with reality?

I hope he reads or is read this post because his comment is very telling and troubling!
My biggest issue with Kelly's comments is that he insinuates that our defensive woes vs Texas were an anomaly. The fact is what we saw against Texas is exactly what we have seen for 2 years now.

Could the defense improve enough to make is decent, I suppose. That said 2 years and 1 game says the defense is what it is... and it isn't good. I don't care what kind of athletes you get if a significant portion of your players don't understand their assignments it's doomed to fail.

Well, I just Googled it and learned something today. Thanks.

My biggest issue with Kelly's comments is that he insinuates that our defensive woes vs Texas were an anomaly. The fact is what we saw against Texas is exactly what we have seen for 2 years now.

Could the defense improve enough to make is decent, I suppose. That said 2 years and 1 game says the defense is what it is... and it isn't good. I don't care what kind of athletes you get if a significant portion of your players don't understand their assignments it's doomed to fail.

It did take him about three or four years to figure out how to return a punt, so we can't expect him to fix the defense any quicker.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
While you are technically correct that it refers to a circular argument in modern English it has become accepted usage the way the writer used it.

Much like technically the word 'gay' means happy but in modern English it has evolved into a different meaning.

^ yep that is also correct. I checked the Norm Crosby English Grammer handbook!
Professor Irwin Cory confirmed this.

So has my 15 yard personal foul penalty for incorrect grammar usage in a sentence been overturned by the officials? Was I targeted and now it is being erased?

ya know there are posters that post repeatedly that you can count on Kelly to make some decision during some game that will be the deciding factor in a loss. They actually have been pretty much correct.
It has been the case.

Now with 11 games to go, will it happen again in '16?

348: I have not watched nor listened to a Kelly presser since year 2; I think his word is less forthright than a statement by Trump. Sorry friend, the guy is out n out disingenuous.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT