ADVERTISEMENT

Stop scheduling G5 schools!

Shakin' Down the Thunder

Posts Like A Champion
Jul 10, 2012
It's pathetic. How many losses to the likes of Tulsa, Navy, Marshall and NIU do we need to have to realize it's a pointless game? If ND wins, no one cares. If they lose its 1,000 times more embarrassing, especially with how much money ND spends to host them.

Had ND won, how would they in any way been better for it? Would we honestly say this game was a step towards improvement, even if they won convincingly?

I wonder if part of the reason ND lost is because mentally they knew this was a weak G5 school and led to an uninspiring week of preparation. Meanwhile I'm sure NIU has the best week of practice ever, as this was their super bowl. They showed up, while ND didn't.

The risk of losing (while it's supposed to be very low) far outweighs the reward of a win in my opinion.

These games are supposed to be guaranteed wins, leveraged to make tweaks and improvements to the team, and get your 2nd team some live action. Look at the elite teams they schedule games like this and throttle them. ND is not elite. Whether it's coaching, roster, or both, they aren't elite. This shouldn't happen to a top 10-15 team.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
It's pathetic. How many losses to the likes of Tulsa, Navy, Marshall and NIU do we need to have to realize it's a pointless game? If ND wins, no one cares. If they lose its 1,000 times more embarrassing, especially with how much money ND spends to host them.

Had ND won, how would they in any way been better for it? Would we honestly say this game was a step towards improvement, even if they won convincingly?

I wonder if part of the reason ND lost is because mentally they knew this was a weak G5 school and led to an uninspiring week of preparation. Meanwhile I'm sure NIU has the best week of practice ever, as this was their super bowl. They showed up, while ND didn't.

The risk of losing (while it's supposed to be very low) far outweighs the reward of a win in my opinion.
If you can’t beat those teams, how do you expect to beat better teams?

Last edited:
You schedule games against MAC teams because they are one & dones. You don't need to go on the road for a return game. Even paying one million to two million to the visiting team, ND makes a huge profit. That is the reason ever major program schedules these games. To help fund men's fencing, etc.

It’s simply hard to schedule 12 games without having a few of these teams. I agree it’s kind of a lose/lose situation, but I don’t believe we can schedule 12 power 4 teams a year.

In its best form, these games are nice being up 35-0 at half and you get the youngsters experience playing live in games.

Unfortunately for us, that doesn’t seem to happen as often as it should.

G5 schools might be all that's left to schedule for ND if they don't join a conference and the big boys start refusing to schedule ND

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
No one plays 12 Power 4 teams. Beat the teams you’re supposed to beat. If you can’t beat NIU, then you’re probably going to lose to a lower Power 4 team anyway.

You schedule games against MAC teams because they are one & dones. You don't need to go on the road for a return game. Even paying one million to two million to the visiting team, ND makes a huge profit. That is the reason ever major program schedules these games. To help fund men's fencing, etc.
And they're easy wins as well. Oops.....

G5 schools might be all that's left to schedule for ND if they don't join a conference and the big boys start refusing to schedule ND

One of the standard board clowns laughed at you, but your statement isn’t far off from the reality.

One of the standard board clowns laughed at you, but your statement isn’t far off from the reality.
Please, did you see the ratings bonanza ABC had vs Texas A&M? Not to mention the largest attendance ever at Kyle Field. Quit being a tool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT