ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Oline

Interesting comments re the OL by both Freeman and Denbrock. In addition to your post, Freeman said what is best for week one might not be best for week two, etc…. Denbrock clearly stated that Knapp and Pendleton earned these opportunities, and later referenced how these two are benefitting from going against two of the best defensive ends or lines in the country. Freeman sounds like a nod to experience for the first game, and Denbrock’s sounds like a nod to performance and upside, generally. Texas A&M probably guessing along with the rest of us, not a bad thing!
Yeah, sounds like it'll be a tough decision, and things could continue to evolve with the lineup as the season goes on.

Here is where I'm struggling:

It's been said several times on the board: Rudolph is bringing in and wants to have size and power on the OL.

Having to react to the injury, and Tosh's inability to develop......we're now going with 2 smaller players at Tackle.

Does this directly go against the initial strategy that Rudolph, Denbrock, and MF built?

On the OL, are we in a place where we haven't played 1 game yet, and we're already in "hanging on for dear life" mode?
Not sure where " the hanging on for dear life " sense is coming from. I highly doubt the staff feels that way. It's a very talented room but inexperienced at tackle. That's college football. It's a process. I mean had Jagusah not gotten hurt should the confidence level have been that much higher ? He's a young talented player with minimal experience too. There was going to be growing pains at both tackle positions regardless.

I think Knapp starts in Texas. Not sure about guard. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pendleton, Rocco or Coogan

Not sure where " the hanging on for dear life " sense is coming from. I highly doubt the staff feels that way. It's a very talented room but inexperienced at tackle. That's college football. It's a process. I mean had Jagusah not gotten hurt should the confidence level have been that much higher ? He's a young talented player with minimal experience too. There was going to be growing pains at both tackle positions regardless.
Exactly. The narrative that Jagusah was going to be Joe Alt from last year is ridiculous

What is impacted is his trajectory to stardom has been delayed a year. But he is not the reason for a 3-5 game swing…

Reactions: IrishMike409
Exactly. The narrative that Jagusah was going to be Joe Alt from last year is ridiculous

What is impacted is his trajectory to stardom has been delayed a year. But he is not the reason for a 3-5 game swing…
I didn't hear that narrative once from anyone

I am here quite often.

There was zero narrative regarding Jagusah and Joe Alt.

I think Knapp starts in Texas. Not sure about guard. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pendleton, Rocco or Coogan
Coogan getting a lot of reps at center make me think they want him as next in at guard or center. If he starts at guard and Craig goes down it’s two oline moves not just one

Reactions: IrishMike409
Coogan getting a lot of reps at center make me think they want him as next in at guard or center. If he starts at guard and Craig goes down it’s two oline moves not just one
One site said Rocco played well today as 2nd string guard so I don't know who would go in if Pendleton struggled, Rocco or Coogan

One site said Rocco played well today as 2nd string guard so I don't know who would go in if Pendleton struggled, Rocco or Coogan
Yeah I was saying if Coogan starts at guard and he’s back up center too … he could be running third at guard and 2nd center

All great points.

I think the only way to read the Pendleton elevation is that he is demonstrably outplaying both Rocco and Coogan. Why else would you put a combined 23 game experience on the bench? My take has always been that Coogan played slightly below average, and Rocco average, last season; and I expected Rocco to win the starting nod, especially after the Spring practice game. The only dark horse I saw was possibly Absher inserting himself into this competition. Wish we had more practice commentary and outside observations to kick around, but Pendleton must have excelled. I think if the first game was at ND, Pendleton would start; but TAM? My bet (monopoly) is on both Knapp and Pendleton starting.

If Pendleton has flat-out taken the job from 2 upperclassmen who have 2-dozen starts between them......then that bodes well for the unit. Pendleton must've have emerged and cemented himself as the real deal. The ceiling on this unit goes up if the incoming LG is flat out better than Coogan and Rocco.

Reactions: mbd11
If Pendleton has flat-out taken the job from 2 upperclassmen who have 2-dozen starts between them......then that bodes well for the unit. Pendleton must've have emerged and cemented himself as the real deal. The ceiling on this unit goes up if the incoming LG is flat out better than Coogan and Rocco.
You can spin this all you want. The OL is a huge, huge concern.

I think the only way to read the Pendleton elevation is that he is demonstrably outplaying both Rocco and Coogan. Why else would you put a combined 23 game experience on the bench? My take has always been that Coogan played slightly below average, and Rocco average, last season; and I expected Rocco to win the starting nod, especially after the Spring practice game. The only dark horse I saw was possibly Absher inserting himself into this competition. Wish we had more practice commentary and outside observations to kick around, but Pendleton must have excelled. I think if the first game was at ND, Pendleton would start; but TAM? My bet (monopoly) is on both Knapp and Pendleton starting.
Bottom line is -- no one really knows anything until an actual depth chart is released. Until then , it is a guessing game.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Hopefully this new lineup will work out well! They have a tough task ahead in College Station.

Hopefully this new lineup will work out well! They have a tough task ahead in College Station.
The athleticism our line has this year coupled with a running QB, athletic pass catching RBs and a deep WR room allow denbrock to be very creative with his play calling. This can help out slow down a good pass rush. Moving the line/pocket, screens, a lot more pulling, etc.

The athleticism our line has this year coupled with a running QB, athletic pass catching RBs and a deep WR room allow denbrock to be very creative with his play calling. This can help out slow down a good pass rush. Moving the line/pocket, screens, a lot more pulling, etc.
Hopefully he'll come up with a good gameplan and the young OL will get the job done adequately. The Irish will need to bring their "A" game to get out of there with a win.

Hopefully he'll come up with a good gameplan and the young OL will get the job done adequately. The Irish will need to bring their "A" game to get out of there with a win.
The first order of the game plan for this Saturday, IMO, is to pray.

Who do think they're playing , the 85 Bears ? Pray ? That's pathetic.
Well, I am simply being realistic. This is, without question, the most inexperienced and full of questions OL Notre Dame has fielded in quite a long, long time.

Well, I am simply being realistic. This is, without question, the most inexperienced and full of questions OL Notre Dame has fielded in quite a long, long time.
Inexperienced yes, talented yes. Have a little faith. It's college football. Young players playing for the first time extensively everywhere. The only question in my eyes is the lack of experience. Not sure what other questions there are.

Inexperienced yes, talented yes. Have a little faith.
I have as much faith in this team as anyone. That said, anyone who is not concerned about the Notre Dame OL Saturday night has their head up their butt.

I have as much faith in this team as anyone. That said, anyone who is not concerned about the Notre Dame OL Saturday night has their head up their butt.
Who's not concerned ? I don't have any more concerns than I would have had before the changes. There is always concern when players see their first extensive action. That said to expect the worst seems silly no ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT