I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
As of last few practices Left to Right

Knapp
Pendleton
Craig
Billy
Wagner

I'm glad, tosh is getting beat out, because he's not it. Shocked pendleton is beating out Roco. My guess is ND wants their oline to move this year, an these 5 can move.

Reactions: IrishMike409
As of last few practices Left to Right

Knapp
Pendleton
Craig
Billy
Wagner

I'm glad, tosh is getting beat out, because he's not it. Shocked pendleton is beating out Roco. My guess is ND wants their oline to move this year, a these 5 can move.
Pleasant surprise Nasty! I have wanted Baker to get beat out, and Knapp looks to have won the job. We’ll have two inexperienced relatively small tackles, each athletic as hell, strong, quick feet, and aggressive. But Pendleton beating out both Coogan and Rocco is the real surprise for me. I desperately wanted Rudolph to select his OL based on performance and without regard to class level; and I hoped he would value performance and upside over experience. Looks like I got my wish! Agree, these guys can move. Run game and RPO should be exciting.

Pleasant surprise Nasty! I have wanted Baker to get beat out, and Knapp looks to have won the job. We’ll have two inexperienced relatively small tackles, each athletic as hell, strong, quick feet, and aggressive. But Pendleton beating out both Coogan and Rocco is the real surprise for me. I desperately wanted Rudolph to select his OL based on performance and without regard to class level; and I hoped he would value performance and upside over experience. Looks like I got my wish! Agree, these guys can move. Run game and RPO should be exciting.
Until Freeman lists out the depth chart for game time, expect changes. I get as we move closer to game week/time things should be getting settled, but -- you never know.

Pendleton starting has not been confirmed by anyone on the coaching staff. Same with Knapp.

Would be very interesting. Knapp looked real good in spring, he's just small. Didn't think he would be able to win the job so quick but he must be playing well

I'm more surprised about Pendleton if that holds up. If he beat out Rocco, Coogan and Absher that would be pretty surprising. Must mean he's playing damn well

We won't know for sure probably until the 31st

Sounds like they're going with a lighter, quicker line this year. That has its positives, but also has some negatives, like in short yardage. Will a line with 2 guys under 300 lbs be able to get the kind of push you want in that situation?

I mentioned Knapp when Jagusah went down. Heard great things about him from the folks I talk to on a regular basis. Think Zack Martin when he was a young player.
How young? Is Knapp over 290?

I'm stunned.

Admittedly, this group will forget more about OL play than I'll ever know, but: how in the heck did Knapp win this job?

When he committed (less than 12 months ago), several here said it was a reach to take him. How did he earn the role?

Many on here have called Pendleton "big, mean, nasty". Our IOL should be all of those things.

These are all shocking developments.

I'm stunned.

Admittedly, this group will forget more about OL play than I'll ever know, but: how in the heck did Knapp win this job?

When he committed (less than 12 months ago), several here said it was a reach to take him. How did he earn the role?

Many on here have called Pendleton "big, mean, nasty". Our IOL should be all of those things.

Well, Knapp wouldn't be starting if Jagusah didn't get hurt obviously. So that opened up a slot.

Credit goes to Rudolph on this one. He was on Knapp pretty much before anyone. Looks like a great evaluation on his part

Pendleton is mean and nasty but I'll still be surprised if he starts game 1 but we'll see. He must be busting his ass. He is mean and nasty

Well, Knapp wouldn't be starting if Jagusah didn't get hurt obviously. So that opened up a slot.

Credit goes to Rudolph on this one. He was on Knapp pretty much before anyone. Looks like a great evaluation on his part

Pendleton is mean and nasty but I'll still be surprised if he starts game 1 but we'll see. He must be busting his ass. He is mean and nasty
There's some speculation that Coogan was seen working at center to get work in there, in case he's needed later, and hasn't really lost the LG job. We'll see when the depth chart comes out.

I'm stunned.

No one has said Knapp did win the job.

Whoever they choose to run out there will certainly have some struggles. I hope folks don't have unrealistic expectations. None of the potential tackles have more than minimal experience including Jagusah. It's a process. I trust the staff will scheme enough around the inexperience to provide passable results. The input I've been given about Knapp is outstanding. Great feet, high football IQ, excellent technique for a young player and they feel the moment wouldn't be too big for him as he is supposed to have a cerebral calm presence about him. I for one am very curious to see how it plays out.

Yes, no formal report they are the starters. But it's 16 days until game time. They should know who their starters are by this saturday. I doubt they would be utilizing an entire practice for coogan at center if he was in a starting battle still for the guard spot.

But who knows. These are just the reported starters for the last 2 practices.

Reactions: Telx1
I've heard that Wagner is a physical beast regarding strength and quickness. Would there be any benefit to move him to L tackle instead of R tackle? You would think you want someone with experience shoring up the L tackle position to protect the blind side instead of a true freshman.

I've heard that Wagner is a physical beast regarding strength and quickness. Would there be any benefit to move him to L tackle instead of R tackle? You would think you want someone with experience shoring up the L tackle position to protect the blind side instead of a true freshman.

As far as I have heard he has been extensively trained at RT and at the moment i don’t think there going change that

Is he country strong?

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
Yes, no formal report they are the starters. But it's 16 days until game time. They should know who their starters are by this saturday. I doubt they would be utilizing an entire practice for coogan at center if he was in a starting battle still for the guard spot.

But who knows. These are just the reported starters for the last 2 practices.
"They should know who their starters are by this Saturday."

They (coaches) may know, or have a darn good idea of how the OL will look -- but why do you need to know right now?

Sounds like they're going with a lighter, quicker line this year. That has its positives, but also has some negatives, like in short yardage. Will a line with 2 guys under 300 lbs be able to get the kind of push you want in that situation?
they appear willing to trade that off; if so I guess we will see if it works.
There certainly are times when you need beef to get the job done.

IB saying baker will be the starting LT. The media caught a glimpse of a situational set and ran with it as the starting lineup. We shall see.

"They should know who their starters are by this Saturday."

They (coaches) may know, or have a darn good idea of how the OL will look -- but why do you need to know right now?
Because next week the vast majority of practice is specifically for A&M then the following week its 100% A&M. You want your ones getting all the reps they need together the next 2 weeks.

IB saying baker will be the starting LT. The media caught a glimpse of a situational set and ran with it as the starting lineup. We shall see.
We'll probably know tomorrow. If freeman isn't adamant that it's tosh in his presser then they're probably decided or heavily leaning towards knapp being starter.

Also, media caught way more than a glimpse. It was multiple practice sessions with knapp and pendleton starting all of them.

Because next week the vast majority of practice is specifically for A&M then the following week its 100% A&M. You want your ones getting all the reps they need together the next 2 weeks.
Yep,, install should ramp up by Wednesday of next week.

Reactions: Kelso86
We'll probably know tomorrow. If freeman isn't adamant that it's tosh in his presser then they're probably decided or heavily leaning towards knapp being starter.

Also, media caught way more than a glimpse. It was multiple practice sessions with knapp and pendleton starting all of them.
They caught more than a glimpse but still a small percentage of the practice time.

I’d be borderline shocked if Knapp and Pendelton started.

I get all of that -- but the question was -- why do YOU need to know now?

Like I mentioned, I believe the coaches already have a very good idea of what the OL line will look like and I think they have been through this a time or 2 to know when to begin game prep.

I get all of that -- but the question was -- why do YOU need to know now?

Like I mentioned, I believe the coaches already have a very good idea of what the OL line will look like and I think they have been through this a time or 2 to know when to begin game prep.
If I said, "You" need to know who the starters are by Saturday, I was implying ND coaches, not me. I'd love to know, but if I was the coaches I'd want A&M to think i was starting Tosh when i was starting Knapp. How A&M would attack tosh would be extremely different than how they attack knapp.

Tosh - Huge, but slow (absolutely struggles with speed)
Knapp - Smaller, but very athletic, long arms - (I'd assume handles speed much better but could be susceptible to SDE bull rushes, and twists vs DT/NG).

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Hopefully Knapp does. We've seen Baker already and pretty much know what to expect. Very curious to see what the young, athletic guy brings to the table.
290 pounds and 18 years old is what the kid brings to the table.

True freshmen are typically a liability on the OL.

Here is where I'm struggling:

It's been said several times on the board: Rudolph is bringing in and wants to have size and power on the OL.

Having to react to the injury, and Tosh's inability to develop......we're now going with 2 smaller players at Tackle.

Does this directly go against the initial strategy that Rudolph, Denbrock, and MF built?

On the OL, are we in a place where we haven't played 1 game yet, and we're already in "hanging on for dear life" mode?

Here is where I'm struggling:

It's been said several times on the board: Rudolph is bringing in and wants to have size and power on the OL.

Having to react to the injury, and Tosh's inability to develop......we're now going with 2 smaller players at Tackle.

Does this directly go against the initial strategy that Rudolph, Denbrock, and MF built?

On the OL, are we in a place where we haven't played 1 game yet, and we're already in "hanging on for dear life" mode?
They don’t want 290lb tackles but in the end you have to play the best players.

If Knapp and Pendleton start this will be the most athletic oline I think nds ever had. Now they will be “regular sized” and young with actually more experience off the bench

They need to do whatever it takes to beat A&M, then they have 3 games of development to build chemistry before Louisville

Last edited:
Freeman just said in his PC that they haven't named a starting OL yet, and that they'll be making that decision soon.

Freeman just said in his PC that they haven't named a starting OL yet, and that they'll be making that decision soon.
Interesting comments re the OL by both Freeman and Denbrock. In addition to your post, Freeman said what is best for week one might not be best for week two, etc…. Denbrock clearly stated that Knapp and Pendleton earned these opportunities, and later referenced how these two are benefitting from going against two of the best defensive ends or lines in the country. Freeman sounds like a nod to experience for the first game, and Denbrock’s sounds like a nod to performance and upside, generally. Texas A&M probably guessing along with the rest of us, not a bad thing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT