ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford will beat us

And if ND wins those like you will say that Stanford is mediocre, so it wasn't a big game.

Kind of like posters did after we rolled Southern Cal.

Except if ND loses.... then it’s “a big game that Brian Kelly lost.”

Reactions: NDlb46
USC was both tired anf injured when we played them. The team was pumped up early and USC fell apart. I give credit for ND performance but we had a week break and USC did not. If shoe was on other foot then different result. Also where is Dexter Williams? Even when he plays he doesnt get the ball much if at all.
When i watch ND basketball I can just sit and relax and not have to question Brey all the time and we win more with less. When i watch a Kelly coached team it is constant head scratching. Oh, we held Navy to lowest point total with 45 min possession. Why do you think they possessed the ball so long because its in the rule book?

4 of 6 on 4th downs (average ypc of 1 yard on those 6 plays) and a fumble on a punt return. It certainly wasn’t because the defense was gashed. They gave up 4 ypc.

The word we are hearing is it is very unlikely that Bryce Love will play against ND. He will be saved for the conference championship game against USC.

The word we are hearing is it is very unlikely that Bryce Love will play against ND. He will be saved for the conference championship game against USC.

Sucks since the game has national inplications. If ND beats SU and then SU loses to USC they will not get a NY6 bowl for sure. If SU loses to ND and beats SC they most like will not get NY6 bowl.
The only hope for SU is a sweep of ND and USC.

AND SU is no sure thing for the Pac12 championship game.

It seems to me that there were a couple of other top players that sat for the ND game. I know Greg Dortch for WF was one, but wasn't there someone else?

Love is a difference maker. He will play. Dont fall for this nonsense.

Sucks since the game has national inplications. If ND beats SU and then SU loses to USC they will not get a NY6 bowl for sure. If SU loses to ND and beats SC they most like will not get NY6 bowl.
The only hope for SU is a sweep of ND and USC.

AND SU is no sure thing for the Pac12 championship game.

Yes, we will as conference champs.

Talent is even. It is Kelly vs Shaw. Edge to Shaw. The worst thing about Kelly is no one knows which ND will show up.The one from Miami or the one from UOJ.

I have enough knowledge of the SC season for debate. Yes, they had injuries but that's part of football. And it's not as though their backups were terrible. That team as always is loaded with talent. There were posters on here saying we would get killed by SC, but then when the reverse happens it's "Southern Cal is really not that good". Now they could potentially be the PAC-12 champions.

It's funny that when posters talk about ND's injuries it's "making excuses", yet it's legitimate to use for our opponents.

It's simply a fact that SC was banged up in mid October just like the Irish are hampered by injuries right now.

Notre Dame had 7 drives against Navy. We scored on 4 of those drives. That means 2 things. Our D played well which is true holding that Navy offense to 17 points. And our Offense played pedestrian. Like all games, we were successful in we generally started out fast. Wimbush slumped early on. If that happens in Palo Alto we are in trouble.
Are you counting the last "drive" where we simply took a knee to end the game? 24 points in 15 minutes is pretty good. That would equate to 48 points in a usual game. The most frustrating part of the Navy game was the choke jobs on crucial 3rd and 4th downs. Other than that, the team played pretty well overall.

I hope this is some kind of joke. We want you at full strength.

I hope this is some kind of joke. We want you at full strength.

I wish it was a joke. The last three games Love has started and been unable to finish. The ankle needs rest, if he is to ever get healthy this season.

I say this will be a toss up game. The problem is, whenever that is the case, it seems the coined being tossed is a double sided coin with two heads and we are tails.

I'll pick Stanford in a tight one. Hope so bad I am wrong.

We're going to fire a coach who goes 9-3 ?

At this point 4-2 against teams ranked in Top 25

What color is the sky in your world ?

Hoopsstar = Loon

Reactions: Pennick44
Are you counting the last "drive" where we simply took a knee to end the game? 24 points in 15 minutes is pretty good. That would equate to 48 points in a usual game. The most frustrating part of the Navy game was the choke jobs on crucial 3rd and 4th downs. Other than that, the team played pretty well overall.
"choke jobs" ? no credit to navy for their great execution all game long ?

Reactions: Pennick44
This should have been a big game for Notre Dame. The Irish should be 10-1 heading into Stanford with a win sealing their college football playoff spot, but it isn't. ND will probably beat Stanford and get to 10-2 which is good, but losing to Miami was such a missed opportunity. The closer Notre Dame gets to the brass ring under Kelly, the tighter their sphincter gets. Kelly should get credit for getting Notre Dame to either a 10-2 or 9-3 regular season finish, but he isn't the one who will bring ND its next national championship.

I don't know why you think ND should be 10-1. We were thoroughly outclassed by Miami and had no chance to win that game.

The kneel down at the end would have been our 8th possession. 4 scores, 3 punts, and a kneel down. We lost a possession on Finke's fumble. Since possessions are gold in the Navy game, we are fortunate that the fumble didn't cost us the game.

I believe last year we had the ball with a chance to go up by two scores in the 3Q, and turned it over. That cost us big time.

It's simply a fact that SC was banged up in mid October just like the Irish are hampered by injuries right now.

What injuries? What starters are lost? Balis has kept ND pretty much in tact all season.

SC losing 6-8 starters is somewhat more than ‘banged up’. Losing 40% of your starters, ‘hampered’? And injuries are possibly the least of SC problems.

He needs to get healthy. I am not certain that the Huskies beat the Cougs though. This could be Bryce's last game. He could pull a McCaffrey and sit out a bowl game since he is likely a first round pick with his speed.

I think they have to play him unless the ankle is so tender he would be ineffective. They need to be 9-3 and Bryce is a huge big play guy.

"choke jobs" ? no credit to navy for their great execution all game long ?
The thing is, we held Navy to their lowest point total and basically slowed them down very well, but they came through on the crucial downs. I felt either their execution was lacking for the most part, or we did a nice job containing them.

Could have been a lot better for us without the 3rd and 16 conversion on a simple FB dive, or the 4th down offsides, or the 4th down pass to the lunging FB on the wheel route.

I don't know why you think ND should be 10-1. We were thoroughly outclassed by Miami and had no chance to win that game.

Was the score not 0-0 at the start of the game. Notre Dame had every chance going into that game to win it. When they were down 14-0, it wasn't over. I mean I don't equate the Hurricanes team that beat Notre Dame with greatness. They outplayed Notre Dame and deserved to win, but Notre Dame went into that game as the favored team. Notre Dame's rushing attack was certainly better than Miami's rushing defense (67th I believe) going into that game. Notre Dame destroyed a much better USC team a few weeks earlier while Miami struggled with its opponents heading into that game. So, yes I believe had Notre Dame played the way they had been playing heading into Miami, they should have won that game. Miami was ready to go. Notre Dame was not. That's the difference between Kelly being a good coach and a great coach. I think Notre Dame beats Stanford this week and gets to 10 wins. It's a good season, but it could have been a great season because the Irish should be in the playoffs fighting for a national championship. If you would have said the Irish had to go into Alabama and win to keep their hopes alive, I would give that to you, but this was the Hurricanes. Look at what Virginia did to them the week after Notre Dame played them. The Hurricanes are not world beaters by any means. It was a missed opportunity, and those opportunities don't come around every year due to injuries, suspensions, what have you. Everything was falling into place for Notre Dame this season and Kelly gets credit for that. The new coaching hires, etc. But the closer they get to the brass ring, the more Kelly shrinks under the spotlight.

Reactions: ndfi65 and HRC08
The thing is, we held Navy to their lowest point total and basically slowed them down very well, but they came through on the crucial downs. I felt either their execution was lacking for the most part, or we did a nice job containing them.

Could have been a lot better for us without the 3rd and 16 conversion on a simple FB dive, or the 4th down offsides, or the 4th down pass to the lunging FB on the wheel route.
i just don;t think the term is appropriate. navy did a good job against superior talent.

Reactions: Pennick4
Some of these dudes around here need to ask Greer or Nyles, or Drue or Julian what's it like to defend and play Navy. I'm not sure that would even convince them that the Middies are a bunch of disciplined tough guys who play every down like it's their last. I heard Jarrett Grace on the post game show say that playing Navy is taxing, the week before and the week after. He should know. He's actually done it. Irish live to play another day. I also want to give major props to all the Irish and Navy fans and students who stuck it out to the end in ridiculous conditions. The players notice.

Reactions: iwish
Was the score not 0-0 at the start of the game. Notre Dame had every chance going into that game to win it. When they were down 14-0, it wasn't over. I mean I don't equate the Hurricanes team that beat Notre Dame with greatness. They outplayed Notre Dame and deserved to win, but Notre Dame went into that game as the favored team. Notre Dame's rushing attack was certainly better than Miami's rushing defense (67th I believe) going into that game. Notre Dame destroyed a much better USC team a few weeks earlier while Miami struggled with its opponents heading into that game. So, yes I believe had Notre Dame played the way they had been playing heading into Miami, they should have won that game. Miami was ready to go. Notre Dame was not. That's the difference between Kelly being a good coach and a great coach. I think Notre Dame beats Stanford this week and gets to 10 wins. It's a good season, but it could have been a great season because the Irish should be in the playoffs fighting for a national championship. If you would have said the Irish had to go into Alabama and win to keep their hopes alive, I would give that to you, but this was the Hurricanes. Look at what Virginia did to them the week after Notre Dame played them. The Hurricanes are not world beaters by any means. It was a missed opportunity, and those opportunities don't come around every year due to injuries, suspensions, what have you. Everything was falling into place for Notre Dame this season and Kelly gets credit for that. The new coaching hires, etc. But the closer they get to the brass ring, the more Kelly shrinks under the spotlight.

My point simply is all the pre-game "shoulds" don't mean anything once you play the game. And once that game started, Miami outplayed us pretty much start to finish. End of discussion for me. (Kind of like how we outplayed USC pretty much from start to finish, except for an even stretch in the third quarter.)

One thing I can't for the life of me figure out is why we seem to come out so flat. Even a lousy coach can impress upon a team the importance of an upcoming game. But I believe Kelly tries to keep his team on an even keeled business-as-usual approach. He might be succeeding too well for all I know.

For what it's worth, I think I was the only person on the prediction thread to pick Miami, and I envisioned them winning a close game, not a rout.

My point simply is all the pre-game "shoulds" don't mean anything once you play the game. And once that game started, Miami outplayed us pretty much start to finish. End of discussion for me. (Kind of like how we outplayed USC pretty much from start to finish, except for an even stretch in the third quarter.)

One thing I can't for the life of me figure out is why we seem to come out so flat. Even a lousy coach can impress upon a team the importance of an upcoming game. But I believe Kelly tries to keep his team on an even keeled business-as-usual approach. He might be succeeding too well for all I know.

For what it's worth, I think I was the only person on the prediction thread to pick Miami, and I envisioned them winning a close game, not a rout.
See, I don t think they came out flat. Moving right down the field and had wimbush connected with st Brown for an easy score who knows how it plays out. His confidence level rises, Miami playing from behind right out of the gate. Who knows ?

See, I don t think they came out flat. Moving right down the field and had wimbush connected with st Brown for an easy score who knows how it plays out. His confidence level rises, Miami playing from behind right out of the gate. Who knows ?

Well, actually, I don't think they were flat either, just sort of businesslike. And when they didn't succeed, they just had no other options to fall back on.

I really don't think an early TD would have changed things. If we had jumped out in front 17-0 or something, sure.

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought of the play calling in that game as a former offensive linemen. (I'm no expert by any means, but I think when you call running plays out of the shotgun it has the effect of being like a very obvious draw play. Obviously, there's pulling and trapping involved so the little delay doesn't matter provided your line is handling its opponents. But that certainly wasn't the case against Miami.

Noooo no no. We want him to play. The optics will be “ND didn’t beat Stanford” unless Love plays. Hope he plays but I also understand the Title Game is a lot more important for you all.

Highs become lows unless you’re successful early. It’s alot easier to get amped up later in the game and not risk an energy outage since most of the players have exhausted themselves. Or some biological stuff like that. Idk but I’ve definitely heard BK talk about wanting his players on an even keel all game long. Same reason he always takes the ball first and uses his “chart” to decide when to go for two. He’s coaches for 25 years so he obviously has bored himself into over analyzing things.

What injuries? What starters are lost? Balis has kept ND pretty much in tact all season.

SC losing 6-8 starters is somewhat more than ‘banged up’. Losing 40% of your starters, ‘hampered’? And injuries are possibly the least of SC problems.

nd beat both of them. whats your point ?

Josh Adams, Dexter Williams are obviously hurt. Playing hurt. I think Wimbush is down a bit too as his accuracy has somehow got worse.

Navy is a typical good fight team this year like much of our schedule that does not include 'Mercer' or any other school no one has heard of. The Middies played close games against the top of the AAC in UCF and Memphis. We held them to fewer yards than they average but most of that average was made against the ACC in good weather. I think we would have handled them like Wake and NCST if the game was in September.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT