ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford will beat us

Our defense has not played well lately. I expect the trend to continue.

Our defense kept Navy to 100 yards below their game offensive average. Longest gain was for 19 yards. Do you guys honestly think this is the Navy from the late 1990s and the early 2000s? I do agree that this is starting to be a mental thing about Navy week with our players and staff but last year, we lose today's game.

This should have been a big game for Notre Dame. The Irish should be 10-1 heading into Stanford with a win sealing their college football playoff spot, but it isn't. ND will probably beat Stanford and get to 10-2 which is good, but losing to Miami was such a missed opportunity. The closer Notre Dame gets to the brass ring under Kelly, the tighter their sphincter gets. Kelly should get credit for getting Notre Dame to either a 10-2 or 9-3 regular season finish, but he isn't the one who will bring ND its next national championship.

They just edged Cal, 17-14. Should be a great game next week.

Our defense has not played well lately. I expect the trend to continue.

You’re quite the fan, I see. Playing Navy is one of the bigger challenges for any D, and the Irish D actually did just fine. Had the offense played better, the score would have likely been 34-17. And criticizing this team for being “only 9-2” is just ridiculous. Yes, yes, for God’s sake, they played poorly vs Miami. Get over it.

Reactions: rjg82 and NDSMC78
We're very banged up. 1-1 in our final two games is the most likely.

We’ll have to be better against the run. Offensively, we should be OK—we have the speed and athleticism advantage and if weather conditions are good, we should be able to make some big plays.

Outside of some poor tackling at times in this game today the defense played pretty good. Wimbush had a poor start to the game and I guess the play calling early might have been to try and get him over last week just think with the weather conditions that probably wasn’t the best idea.

Reactions: rjg82
This should have been a big game for Notre Dame. The Irish should be 10-1 heading into Stanford with a win sealing their college football playoff spot, but it isn't. ND will probably beat Stanford and get to 10-2 which is good, but losing to Miami was such a missed opportunity. The closer Notre Dame gets to the brass ring under Kelly, the tighter their sphincter gets. Kelly should get credit for getting Notre Dame to either a 10-2 or 9-3 regular season finish, but he isn't the one who will bring ND its next national championship.

Probably?

ND hasn’t won at Stanford in 10 years.

Last edited:
Irish should have beaten Stanford last yr in South Bend. they are nothing special this yr other than Love their rb. I watched them vs UW a few weeks ago. that qb for them was forcing the ball to that wr with the 2 last names. and he was making catches that was making me go how the heck is he catching those pass's.

contain Love and keep those prayer passes to a minimum. the Irish have a shot. but I think the team peaked a few weeks back and when that happens there is no way of getting back up to that high level again this season just my opinion.

You’re quite the fan, I see. Playing Navy is one of the bigger challenges for any D, and the Irish D actually did just fine. Had the offense played better, the score would have likely been 34-17. And criticizing this team for being “only 9-2” is just ridiculous. Yes, yes, for God’s sake, they played poorly vs Miami. Get over it.

Agreed. I'm not worried about our D. I'm worried about our offense. They played well all year but these last 2 games have not executed well. They put the D in poor position at Miami. Yesterday's game would have been a 2 or 3 TD win if we had connected on a few passes that were just inches off. Hopefully Wimbush and his wrs fine tune that this week.

The defense, not the offense has been most responsible for the improved overall season record.
The major change from the debacle that was ‘16 has been the additions and results achieved by Elko and Balis. Without those 2 staff additions, your probably reliving 2016.

ND just held Navy to its lowest point total of the season. That's no easy task when Navy had time of possession almost 45 minutes.

Notre Dame had 7 drives against Navy. We scored on 4 of those drives. That means 2 things. Our D played well which is true holding that Navy offense to 17 points. And our Offense played pedestrian. Like all games, we were successful in we generally started out fast. Wimbush slumped early on. If that happens in Palo Alto we are in trouble.

Notre Dame had 7 drives against Navy. We scored on 4 of those drives. That means 2 things. Our D played well which is true holding that Navy offense to 17 points. And our Offense played pedestrian. Like all games, we were successful in we generally started out fast. Wimbush slumped early on. If that happens in Palo Alto we are in trouble.
Yeah, yesterday may not have been a good time to try and get BW's confidence back in the passing game - weather was pretty sloppy. I thought he finished the game well, though, once he got back to his game of using his legs when the pass wasn't there.

Stanford willrun the ball in attempt try to shorten the gameand limit ND possessions. Then the SU D will be opportunistic trying to be patient waiting for a Wimbush mistake or bad throw.

ND’s defensive strategy is simple. Show them no Love.

Like a poster above said poor tackling and defensive scheme has been an issue. Bryce Love is the best running back i have seen. Also, the offensive lineman have been missing blocks and not playing with a mean nasty attitude. The OL is underperforming. I am amazed that some on here think yesterday was such a big accomplishment. Navy was one play away from tying the game late. And they are having a down year and we are supposedly top 10 material. To quote Kelly after Miami, we have to flourish in tough environments. Guys, the fundamentals just arent there on both sides of the ball. I hate Stanford just as much as anyone else but I see Bryce Love running all over us next week and the same old BK/Long big game lay an egg offensive performance. If i were the defensive coach i would spot Stanford the pass and put every guy i have on Love. Kelly and team should have every motivation in the world since that Stanford assistant mocked his job status at the end of last years game. If we play poorly or lose by a wide margin, Kelly should be let go immediately.

Bryce Love is banged up. I don't think he played most of the 2nd half last night. The Stanford offense is not as efficient as they lack the big pass catches, etc. You stop the run you stop Stanford. The key to ND winning next weekend is a balanced offensive attack. I've been very disappointed by Chip Long's playing calling of late. He needs to channel the USC game again and use the entire field and use 3-4 backs. Josh Adams is all but spent.

2 to 3 touchdown minimum.
i'm guessing that maybe you haven't seen Stanford play this season. they are a pretty decent team this year but are a ways off from being a great team. defense is decent for them but not dominating like it was a few years ago for them. they have have a rookie qb who is still finding his way right now. a 5-5 cal team almost beat them last night and so i'll be really surprised if they win by double digit scores as you claim. Wimbush being able to take off with his legs will give the trees fits all night. remember that our irish almost beat them last year in a year that everything went wrong on the field and so a better 9-2 irish team sould have a great shot at winning on sat

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Interesting? Have you watched Kelly in big games? He'll lay another egg. That's what he does...
And if ND wins those like you will say that Stanford is mediocre, so it wasn't a big game.

Kind of like posters did after we rolled Southern Cal.

Reactions: Pennick4
USC was both tired anf injured when we played them. The team was pumped up early and USC fell apart. I give credit for ND performance but we had a week break and USC did not. If shoe was on other foot then different result. Also where is Dexter Williams? Even when he plays he doesnt get the ball much if at all.
When i watch ND basketball I can just sit and relax and not have to question Brey all the time and we win more with less. When i watch a Kelly coached team it is constant head scratching. Oh, we held Navy to lowest point total with 45 min possession. Why do you think they possessed the ball so long because its in the rule book?

But, we already know Stanford is mediocre. SU has enjoyed excellent QB play for seasons, but the ‘17 team just does not get good QB play. The OL is young and there are nodeep threats at WR to open things up for the RB.

So, just so you cannot point that out as hindsight, there it is.

And SC was w/o at least half dozen starters and is one of the worst coached teams in football.

USC was both tired anf injured when we played them. The team was pumped up early and USC fell apart. I give credit for ND performance but we had a week break and USC did not. If shoe was on other foot then different result. Also where is Dexter Williams? Even when he plays he doesnt get the ball much if at all.
When i watch ND basketball I can just sit and relax and not have to question Brey all the time and we win more with less. When i watch a Kelly coached team it is constant head scratching. Oh, we held Navy to lowest point total with 45 min possession. Why do you think they possessed the ball so long because its in the rule book?
Then how did SC recover the very next week? Are you saying their injured and tired players healed up and rested up that quickly?

If you want to point out BK's shortcomings, fine. We all know what those are. But be fair and give credit where credit is due also.

Then how did SC recover the very next week? Are you saying their injured and tired players healed up and rested up that quickly?

If you want to point out BK's shortcomings, fine. We all know what those are. But be fair and give credit where credit is due also.

If your college football knowledge is limited to 1 team then that would be the simplistic response. That you ask the question indicates that’s so. At minimum you do not have much knowledge of the SC season.

If your college football knowledge is limited to 1 team then that would be the simplistic response. That you ask the question indicates that’s so. At minimum you do not have much knowledge of the SC season.
I have enough knowledge of the SC season for debate. Yes, they had injuries but that's part of football. And it's not as though their backups were terrible. That team as always is loaded with talent. There were posters on here saying we would get killed by SC, but then when the reverse happens it's "Southern Cal is really not that good". Now they could potentially be the PAC-12 champions.

It's funny that when posters talk about ND's injuries it's "making excuses", yet it's legitimate to use for our opponents.

Reactions: actionfx
Statement game for Kelly and the Irish. After laying a big fat egg vs. Miami we came back and beat an always tough Navy team. We're 9-2 and ranked in the top ten. Gonna be another tough one but if Wimbush plays like he didn't in the second half we win.

Reactions: Pennick4
The offense, especially Wimbush's throwing, in the first half was not good. The conditions were absolutely horrible, ( I know I was there). But to say our defense played bad was either one, you didn't watch the same game I did, or you just don't follow college football that closely. I think Elko did a great job adjusting to Navy every time they changed schemes.

Reactions: actionfx
ADVERTISEMENT