ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford, Cal, SMU to the ACC...

There are also more private schools (BC, Duke, Miami, etc.) - as well as the likely additions of Stanford and SMU.

And by my count, 9 of our 22 offensive and defensive starters hail from the ACC footprint, as well as our punter and kicker. That's quite a few. One co-starter is from Texas.
I counted 9 from the 2012 team. Before we joined the ACC. This doesn’t count many guys who weren’t starters yet, like CJ Procise. Also guys from Georgia like TJ jones and Stephon Tuitt.

I believe we recruit well from the entire country because of our brand. Not simply because we consistently play games there.

If teams could only recruit from where they play, then schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Georgia and Alabama wouldn’t be able to recruit well nationally. But we all know they do.

Does private/public really matter for this? I guess if that’s your schtick then Big 10 has 2, USC and Northwestern. Doesn’t seem like a relevant piece to this decision tho.

Last edited:
I counted 9 from the 2012 team. Before we joined the ACC. This doesn’t count many guys who weren’t starters yet, like CJ Procise. Also guys from Georgia like TJ jones and Stephon Tuitt.

I believe we recruit well from the entire country because of our brand. Not simply because we consistently play games there.

If teams could only recruit from where they play, then schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Georgia and Alabama wouldn’t be able to recruit well nationally. But we all know they do
We don't actually recruit that well in Texas. There are only 3 players in the 2-deep from Texas. That's out of 44+ players. But we get more from the West Coast, probably because we play USC and Stanford every year.

Having a national brand helps, but actually playing games in a region helps, too.

You could also make an argument that the ACC has more like-minded schools (private, academically-minded, etc.). While the Big Ten's mostly large state schools. So the ACC might be a better "fit" that way, in addition to giving us better access to East Coast recruiting.
Not really , both conferences have some strong academic schools. ACC is a weaker football conference and will only get weaker with smu,cal, Stanford. I would love to be playing OSU, Oregon, USC, penn st , Michigan. Clemson and FSU, ( sometimes) are the only games worth watching with an acc schedule. ACC is a pile of mediocrity but it sure has helped Dabo

Agreed. I’m also for the ACC remaining a conference, but if Clemson and FSU bail, we have to follow suit. No reason to stay in that watered down league because Stanford is associated.
Clemson has been dominant over the last 10 years … prior to that not so much.

I'm fine with playing them once every 3 or 4 years. Not every year

If they end up in the ACC, like it looks is happening, you are more likely to continue to play them every year. The Trees may be a more common opponent than USC in the future.

I could very well see a scenario where ND ends up playing USC/Stanford on a rotational basis. Rivalry or not. SC is not going to want to add another trip every other year. Stanford as well if they join the ACC. Maybe not soon but sometime in the next 5 years.

Well all the "why do we play so many ACC teams" people could get happy if this happens. Stanford would obviously eat up one of the spots. Or do you think they would be an in addition to the other 5 games?
If we can't play Mich/MSU/Purd then I prefer to keep Stanford; we have invested 30 years into making it a 'rivalry.'

For those that don't like it, one of the side effects of the ACC contract is that we play Pitt, Fredo College, and now perhaps Stanford less often.

If teams could only recruit from where they play, then schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Georgia and Alabama wouldn’t be able to recruit well nationally. But we all know they do.

Does private/public really matter for this? I guess if that’s your schtick then Big 10 has 2, USC and Northwestern. Doesn’t seem like a relevant piece to this decision tho.
Of course the brand/reputation is the most important. You can dispute the cause but not the facts that we rarely play games in Texas and we are not major players in their recruiting battles.

Of course the brand/reputation is the most important. You can dispute the cause but not the facts that we rarely play games in Texas and we are not major players in their recruiting battles.

Next year we open at Texas A&M. For those who have not been there, Kyle Field is a great place to take in a game.

Reactions: tbonesays
That’s fine, Texas was a poor example for ND. I still hold strong that traveling to an area every few years for a game holds little weight in recruiting.

The top schools recruit well nationally, and they all play regional schedules.

I could very well see a scenario where ND ends up playing USC/Stanford on a rotational basis. Rivalry or not. SC is not going to want to add another trip every other year. Stanford as well if they join the ACC. Maybe not soon but sometime in the next 5 years.
You may be correct. I also wonder why any top program in the big or sec will want to add nd to a schedule that will be much more challenging starting 2024. Is bama still scheduled for 28,29? Maybe it’s 29,30 I can’t remember? Why is bama interested in a series with us when their sec schedule is getting harder and they have a ccg to contend with? I could easily see sc saying , we’ll play nd every other year. Additional travel and a more challenging schedule why does sc want to lower their chances of playoff spot? Looking at future schedules I’m not seeing many games I’m scheduling vacations around

If we can't play Mich/MSU/Purd then I prefer to keep Stanford; we have invested 30 years into making it a 'rivalry.'

For those that don't like it, one of the side effects of the ACC contract is that we play Pitt, Fredo College, and now perhaps Stanford less often.
Don’t we have purdue on schedule for next few years starting in 24? Not a game I ever get excited about though

You may be correct. I also wonder why any top program in the big or sec will want to add nd to a schedule that will be much more challenging starting 2024. Is bama still scheduled for 28,29? Maybe it’s 29,30 I can’t remember? Why is bama interested in a series with us when their sec schedule is getting harder and they have a ccg to contend with? I could easily see sc saying , we’ll play nd every other year. Additional travel and a more challenging schedule why does sc want to lower their chances of playoff spot? Looking at future schedules I’m not seeing many games I’m scheduling vacations around
Stck to your day job.

I hear what you're saying, but remember NCAA is entering a 12 team playoff era. We are going to see 2 and 3 loss teams make the playoffs now, so I think the opportunity to play ND becomes more attractive. It's great for CFB and when doing a home and home series both programs stand to make a lot of money.

I hear what you're saying, but remember NCAA is entering a 12 team playoff era. We are going to see 2 and 3 loss teams make the playoffs now, so I think the opportunity to play ND becomes more attractive. It's great for CFB and when doing a home and home series both programs stand to make a lot of money.
well that’s true and it would be great for the fans but that doesn’t seem to be the motivating factor these days. There is the $ issue and if it’s substantial enough it’ll happen.

Don’t we have purdue on schedule for next few years starting in 24? Not a game I ever get excited about though

ND and Purdue have played 85 times. More often than any ACC opponent and only six fewer games than USC-ND.

Hello all. Respect to you and your fine University, and greetings from a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech.

In your deliberations, here's something to consider: the ACC is obviously at a crossroads right now. Everyone in the ACC wants to keep the conference together (that's why we all signed the GOR), but in the next few years, the money has to change. FSU (loudly) and some others (quietly), including my alma mater are considering all options right now.

If the B10 and SEC come in and make offers that can't be refused to 4-8 programs, then the ACC will go the way of the P12, and the Irish will be without a home for their Olympic sports. They might then, even be forced into tucking their tail and joining the B10 in order to find a home for them.

The ONE thing that could insure that would not happen, is if Notre Dame went ahead and joined the ACC for football. Then, the ESPN contract could be renegotiated, and the true THIRD power league would be created.

Make that negotiation now, while you're in the position of power and the ACC is in need. You'll get it done on your terms, and help save a little bit of sanity in college football too.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredame79
Hello all. Respect to you and your fine University, and greetings from a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech.

In your deliberations, here's something to consider: the ACC is obviously at a crossroads right now. Everyone in the ACC wants to keep the conference together (that's why we all signed the GOR), but in the next few years, the money has to change. FSU (loudly) and some others (quietly), including my alma mater are considering all options right now.

If the B10 and SEC come in and make offers that can't be refused to 4-8 programs, then the ACC will go the way of the P12, and the Irish will be without a home for their Olympic sports. They might then, even be forced into tucking their tail and joining the B10 in order to find a home for them.

The ONE thing that could insure that would not happen, is if Notre Dame went ahead and joined the ACC for football. Then, the ESPN contract could be renegotiated, and the true THIRD power league would be created.

Make that negotiation now, while you're in the position of power and the ACC is in need. You'll get it done on your terms, and help save a little bit of sanity in college football too.
In case that doesn't happen [opens garbage bin] do you thing GTech will get an invite to either of the two big conferences? Do you hear that UGA will fight to keep you out of the SEC?

In case that doesn't happen [opens garbage bin] do you thing GTech will get an invite to either of the two big conferences? Do you hear that UGA will fight to keep you out of the SEC?
I want the ACC to remain together. The best path back to conference championships and an occasional swing at the national title is there. We've also grown to love ACC hoops, and have developed some nice rivalries with some of our ACC brethren in both of the revenue sports.

Football has fallen on hard times for the past five years, but I think we're on the road back now. I expect that we'll be bowling again this year, and be back in the top five teams in the conference next year.

We had an invite from the Big 10 when Maryland joined, but turned them down for all of the reasons in my first paragraph. I think that if the ACC implodes, then that's where we'll end up - unless the SEC wants to keep the B10 out of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. I assume that Virginia and North Carolina will be split by the two power conferences in some way. I don't think that UGA will keep us out; they did not work against us the two times in the '70s when we tried to rejoin. I think that decision will be about media markets and recruiting - as I say above.

But again my preference, and the best thing for college athletics, is that the ACC remains together.

I miss the annual Purdue game. I kinda liked our locked-in 4 w/ Michigan st, Purdue usc & navy that was constant throughout most of my life. At the same time, we were playing Michigan virtually every year too. Sprinkle in some byu Stanford & fredo, plus an SEC team or FSU/Miami and there you have a great schedule that is national & local at the same time.

Replace Pitt & state penn w/ byu Stanford & fredo or fsu/Miami every other year too. That’s a great schedule. I know not realistic nowadays but I’d love that schedule right now.

I want the ACC to remain together. The best path back to conference championships and an occasional swing at the national title is there. We've also grown to love ACC hoops, and have developed some nice rivalries with some of our ACC brethren in both of the revenue sports.

Football has fallen on hard times for the past five years, but I think we're on the road back now. I expect that we'll be bowling again this year, and be back in the top five teams in the conference next year.

We had an invite from the Big 10 when Maryland joined, but turned them down for all of the reasons in my first paragraph. I think that if the ACC implodes, then that's where we'll end up - unless the SEC wants to keep the B10 out of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. I assume that Virginia and North Carolina will be split by the two power conferences in some way. I don't think that UGA will keep us out; they did not work against us the two times in the '70s when we tried to rejoin. I think that decision will be about media markets and recruiting - as I say above.

But again my preference, and the best thing for college athletics, is that the ACC remains together.
I did not know about the offer from the other conference, or that Tech tried to rejoin the SEC. Was it a stand alone offer or was it the BUG took a group of schools from the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT