ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford, Cal, SMU to the ACC...

sjb75

All Star
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2004
Lots of smoke from reputable people that Stanford, Cal, and SMU could be added to the ACC...and that negotiations and talks are aggressively ongoing. Interesting to think about, all three would certainly be solid fits culturally and academically.

Reactions: Kelso86
Do we really need another thread on this topic?
Based on the latest news, and if you google it it's not that difficult to find, yes. Expansion of the ACC as it related to football and the future of the ACC, and the television contract situation which all plays. apart in this, is extremely relevant to Notre Dame, IMO.

And if you don't like the thread topic, don't open it.

Well all the "why do we play so many ACC teams" people could get happy if this happens. Stanford would obviously eat up one of the spots. Or do you think they would be an in addition to the other 5 games?

Well all the "why do we play so many ACC teams" people could get happy if this happens. Stanford would obviously eat up one of the spots. Or do you think they would be an in addition to the other 5 games?
Anything but full time in the Big 10.

Reactions: NDinNJ
It’s incredibly different than the new BIG10, and the TV contracts prove it.
Notre Dame is all I care about. And Notre Dame doesn't have money problems, and never will.

Notre Dame turning down the Big 10 for decades makes this fan smile.

Nothing I despise more than Michigan and the Big 10. Fu.. them.

Like in game 5. On Notre Dame's terms.

Not their terms.
It would be on both of our terms. If ND joined the Big10 then the Big10 would want to keep ND happy, if they didn’t or were unfair, we’d leave. Which would cost them millions.

The only way to “flip Michigan and the Big10 off” would be joining the SEC. Which none of us want. Not staying in the depleted ACC.

Agreed. I’m also for the ACC remaining a conference, but if Clemson and FSU bail, we have to follow suit. No reason to stay in that watered down league because Stanford is associated.
You could also make an argument that the ACC has more like-minded schools (private, academically-minded, etc.). While the Big Ten's mostly large state schools. So the ACC might be a better "fit" that way, in addition to giving us better access to East Coast recruiting.

Nine Big 10 games each and every season. The mere thought of that is depressing.
Yeah, playing Michigan USC USC UCLA Ohio State MSU Penn St Iowa Wisconsin Oregon Washington sounds so terrible.

Of course we’d play the lesser teams too, which is no different than Duke Virginia, Louisville and god forbid SMU.

Yeah, playing Michigan USC USC UCLA Ohio State MSU Penn St Iowa Wisconsin Oregon Washington sounds so terrible.

Of course we’d play the lesser teams too, which is no different than Duke Virginia, Louisville and god forbid SMU.
I do not believe it will ever happen. Ever.

Notre Dame, simply put, doesn't need or want the Big 10 nearly as much as the Big 10 would love to have Notre Dame.

Notre Dame, simply put, doesn't need or want the Big 10 nearly as much as the Big 10 would love to have Notre Dame.
I’d agree, Swarbrick indicated that the lack of a broadcast sponsor and/or the lack of a path the the CFP would be the driving forces behind ND joining a conference, and while he seemed open to all conferences I got the feeling that the ACC was in the lead

You could also make an argument that the ACC has more like-minded schools (private, academically-minded, etc.). While the Big Ten's mostly large state schools. So the ACC might be a better "fit" that way, in addition to giving us better access to East Coast recruiting.
That doesn’t even hold up. Here’s a link for the top 100 universities. 14 Big10 and 7 ACC which includes ND.

https://www.topuniversities.com/whe.../united-states/ranked-top-100-us-universities

Also, Michigan and Ohio State recruit just as well as us nationally and don’t play in the south or east coast. They’ll both now play west coast with the new alignment. Joining the big 10 would not negatively hurt us in recruiting. We recruit well in Texas. This is because we are a national brand which would not change. We don’t recruit we’ll in Texas because we play there twice every 10 years.

I don’t know if it will either. I’m not saying we will join the Big10, all I’m saying is IF we were ever forced to join a conference due to scheduling difficulties, I believe Big10 would be the best option.

That doesn’t even hold up. Here’s a link for the top 100 universities. 14 Big10 and 7 ACC which includes ND.

https://www.topuniversities.com/whe.../united-states/ranked-top-100-us-universities

Also, Michigan and Ohio State recruit just as well as us nationally and don’t play in the south or east coast. They’ll both now play west coast with the new alignment. Joining the big 10 would not negatively hurt us in recruiting. We recruit well in Texas. This is because we are a national brand which would not change. We don’t recruit we’ll in Texas because we play there twice every 10 years.
Notre Dame does not want or need the Big 10 nearly as much as the Big 10 desires Notre Dame.

It's been that way for decades.

Notre Dame does not want or need the Big 10 nearly as much as the Big 10 desires Notre Dame.

It's been that way for decades.
Agree with everything here. We certainly haven’t needed them. My point is if things shift to a point where we DO need a conference. I don’t think ND fans understand that there may come a time where remaining independent is not as beneficial as it once was.

For now we’re fine, but as we’ve seen, things are changing drastically.

Agree with everything here. We certainly haven’t needed them. My point is if things shift to a point where we DO need a conference. I don’t think ND fans understand that there may come a time where remaining independent is not as beneficial as it once was.

For now we’re fine, but as we’ve seen, things are changing drastically.
As Swarbrick stated, it’s all about the money.

He thinks that the landscape/environment in college football has declined significantly

As Swarbrick stated, it’s all about the money.

He thinks that the landscape/environment in college football has declined significantly
Exactly. And Swarbrick has said ND will remain independent IF it continues to make sense. Which we will all find out in the coming years. I truly hope it remains the same.

I will say if we remain independent with 5-7 ACC games that does not include Clemson or FSU because they bail, and we’re stuck with those games and leftover BIG12 schools, that would not be beneficial. If we can keep scheduling top teams which keeps our SOS up, awesome!

It would be on both of our terms. If ND joined the Big10 then the Big10 would want to keep ND happy, if they didn’t or were unfair, we’d leave. Which would cost them millions.

The only way to “flip Michigan and the Big10 off” would be joining the SEC. Which none of us want. Not staying in the depleted ACC.
I don't trust the Big 10 to do anything to keep ND happy. I believe the Big 10 would screw ND every chance it had. I am perfectly happy staying out of the Big 10 forever.

Reactions: Classic Irish

Also, Michigan and Ohio State recruit just as well as us nationally and don’t play in the south or east coast. They’ll both now play west coast with the new alignment. Joining the big 10 would not negatively hurt us in recruiting. We recruit well in Texas. This is because we are a national brand which would not change. We don’t recruit we’ll in Texas b

This is a very odd rankings list. Duke at #18? I've never seen another list put them outside the top 10. Ohio State one spot ahead of Washington University St. Louis? I don't think any other list has ever put OSU within 20 spots of Washington St. Louis. Academic reputation is not a great reason to play more ACC football games, but let's at least be honest: the ACC is well ahead of the B1G academically.

ND at # 58? Lists of this sort almost always have ND in the top 20, usually around 16-17. I have never before seen a list with ND anywhere near as low as 58.

Reactions: Holycrossover3

There are also more private schools (BC, Duke, Miami, etc.) - as well as the likely additions of Stanford and SMU.

And by my count, 9 of our 22 offensive and defensive starters hail from the ACC footprint, as well as our punter and kicker. That's quite a few. One co-starter is from Texas.

This is a very odd rankings list. Duke at #18? I've never seen another list put them outside the top 10. Ohio State one spot ahead of Washington University St. Louis? I don't think any other list has ever put OSU within 20 spots of Washington St. Louis. Academic reputation is not a great reason to play more ACC football games, but let's at least be honest: the ACC is well ahead of the B1G academically.
That’s fair. I just went with the first list I found.

Here’s Forbes. I counted 13-12 in favor of the BIG10. Regardless, saying ACC is better academic feels like a moot point as both conferences are great.

https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

Reactions: Juniper_Run
I don't trust the Big 10 to do anything to keep ND happy. I believe the Big 10 would screw ND every chance it had. I am perfectly happy staying out of the Big 10 forever.
X2.

The Big 10 literally despises Notre Dame. They simply see Notre Dame as a cash cow. Which is true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT