ADVERTISEMENT

ACC extends invitations to SMU, Cal, & Stanford

Probably good new for FSU as it gets more money and now can argue that this "fundamental change in circumstances" allows it to move on. It is not a great argument but it is 100 million times better than no argument. Probably smiling behind frowns in T Town. NC must be fighting mad and now owes no allegiance to Wolfpack when things hit the fan.

Reactions: NDDadx3
Probably good new for FSU as it gets more money and now can argue that this "fundamental change in circumstances" allows it to move on. It is not a great argument but it is 100 million times better than no argument. Probably smiling behind frowns in T Town. NC must be fighting mad and now owes no allegiance to Wolfpack when things hit the fan.

They might have an argument wrt travel costs and time for sports other than football. Sending field hockey out to Cal or SMU could be viewed as an additional hardship.

This strengthens ND’s Independence! The stronger and more viable the ACC, the longer ND can remain independent with an excellent home for our Olympic sports. Playing Stanford should Count as an in Conference game against our required five, and that will free up a nice spot for us to schedule an SEC or Big game. All good from my perspective.

FSU and Clemson are eventually leaving. The ACC needed to fatten up in case others like UNC bounce too.

With all due respect, who the heck was Clemson 10 years ago? One good season in 1980.

True. But unless Dabo leaves, there is no reason to think their program will slide. They are the only ACC program that has seriously challenged for an NC in the recent past. Losing them and FSU would hurt the ACC A LOT.

Reactions: NDDadx3
True. But unless Dabo leaves, there is no reason to think their program will slide. They are the only ACC program that has seriously challenged for an NC in the recent past. Losing them and FSU would hurt the ACC A LOT.
One likely way for them to slide is to have them play an SEC schedule rather than an ACC schedule … they’ve been great AND they’ve benefited from a simultaneous downturn by FSU and Miami

Reactions: NDinNJ
Personally I’m happy to see the ACC live to fight another day, it’s good to have multiple conferences … and the ACC has had many more football championships this century than the Big 10
We should step up and offer the other ACC schools to join us as Independents ;)

I think this benefits ND football, as it keeps Stanford as a P5 school (barely) and on the schedule. Adding SMU could give ND a road game in Dallas (I think ND should play a road game in CA, Texas, and Florida/SEC region every year for recruiting purposes). It stabilizes ACC for the near future.

However, I think this is terrible for the Olympic student athletes who have travel far in the middle of the week for a 90 minute sporting event, disrupting their studies and sleep schedule.

I think its terrible for CFB, as traditions/rivalries are being ripped apart. Cal and Stanford are now going to be making $7-8 million annually from TV revenue for I think the next 7 years. How are they ever supposed to compete with that? This is what I hate about what CFB has become. If you're not in the Big 10 or SEC. Good luck having the finances to compete.

All about the money, ACC is in an aexcellent market. FL to Mass. They need to nail a top TV contract and nobody is moving anywhere. Why would you. The playoffs will guarantee the super conferences 6 of the 12. Wouldn’t make financial sense. They should pick up UCF and Tulane.

They’ve already slid..it used to be Clemson, Alabama as 1A, 1B. Great move for the ACC/ND. This moves strengthens the conference, Stanford over the past 15 years is the 3rd best team in the conference.

Reactions: NDSMC78
This strengthens ND’s Independence! The stronger and more viable the ACC, the longer ND can remain independent with an excellent home for our Olympic sports. Playing Stanford should Count as an in Conference game against our required five, and that will free up a nice spot for us to schedule an SEC or Big game. All good from my perspective.
While the BIG adds Washington, USC, Oregon, and UCLA we as ND fans are supposed to be happy with Stanford, SMU, and Cal to the ACC?

This is what watching the college football world pass you by looks like.

While the BIG adds Washington, USC, Oregon, and UCLA we as ND fans are supposed to be happy with Stanford, SMU, and Cal to the ACC?

This is what watching the college football world pass you by looks like.
Na- ND holds the keys and will have the power to join any conference of their choosing. 5 ACC games and remain independent to schedule the likes of: USC, Alabama, Oh St, Texas AM, Michigan- all on future schedules. That’s a dream situation. If the time comes where scheduling becomes difficult, they can fold like you would and join the awfulness that is college football. Stay the course and do the opposite of what Chase says and ND will remain in its glory.

Yeah, if we can schedule USC and at least two great teams from the Big Ten or SEC each year to go along with our 5 games in the current ACC, then this is a great setup. I personally don't care whether Stanford is a regular opponent within the ACC - I just hope we keep at least one among the Clemson/FSU/Miami crowd each year.

I'm thinking ND will need to yield a 6th game within ACC play, and it will be a protected rivalry with Stanford. That would leave ND with 6 games a year to schedule whomever, which would still be more than any other P5 school by a large margin. It seems fair, and, should increase TV revenue for the ACC. I would also like to see ND arrange a caveat for playing in the ACC championship game if they have one of the top two overall records AND top two ACC record by win percentage.

I'm thinking ND will need to yield a 6th game within ACC play, and it will be a protected rivalry with Stanford. That would leave ND with 6 games a year to schedule whomever, which would still be more than any other P5 school by a large margin. It seems fair, and, should increase TV revenue for the ACC. I would also like to see ND arrange a caveat for playing in the ACC championship game if they have one of the top two overall records AND top two ACC record by win percentage.
6 acc games would still mean 4-5 games vs some of the worst teams in the P4 every single year to go along with the other 4 bottom feeder teams we schedule every year outside of the ACC.

NDs football schedule has been embarrassing since they joined the ACC. I can't believe fans are happy/content with it all let alone cheering the addition of SMU, Cal, and Stanford ... smh

It's almost like ND fans are living in a silo where only ND exists. Does nobody else see what the SEC and BIG are putting together and how much of a competitive disadvantage that puts Notre Dame in at football (to go along with the other myriad of disadvantages and handicaps ND likes to self inflict itself with)?

6 acc games would still mean 4-5 games vs some of the worst teams in the P4 every single year to go along with the other 4 bottom feeder teams we schedule every year outside of the ACC.

NDs football schedule has been embarrassing since they joined the ACC. I can't believe fans are happy/content with it all let alone cheering the addition of SMU, Cal, and Stanford ... smh

It's almost like ND fans are living in a silo where only ND exists. Does nobody else see what the SEC and BIG are putting together and how much of a competitive disadvantage that puts Notre Dame in at football (to go along with the other myriad of disadvantages and handicaps ND likes to self inflict itself with)?
Yawn

Simple. Go follow another team. The schedules are made years in advance. I guess having 3 top 10 teams on the schedule isn't good enough for you.

Gone are the days where top tier teams have 8-9 top 25 teams on the schedule with 3 or 4 being top 10. Show me a top 5 or top 10 program that has that type of schedule this year.

In my scenario Chase, the ACC scheduling remains the same, Stanford remains on the schedule - but within the ACC framework, and, ND is on the hook for an ACC championship game should their record be good enough. Adding the ACC championship in worthy seasons is an upgrade to the schedule that you seek.

Am I stoked about Tennessee St this weekend? No. But I see the angle playing an HBCU and a less challenging game coming off a trip to Ireland. No doubt the schedule has been tweaked more lightly between traditionally tougher programs. Is this not what Ohio State has been doing for decades? Seems to have worked out well for them.

ND plays their first FCS school in program history today, I believe only two other schools (USC, ?) have never played one. Alabama has been playing McNeese St, Citadel and Georgia Southern and the likes for well over a decade.

We beat South Carolina last year, LSU the last two times we played them. How good is Vandy? Missouri? Arkansas? Indiana? Minnesota? Rutgers? Iowa?... all bottom feeders and on the powerhouse programs schedule year in and year out.

Let's find some common ground, like, the training table (food). When Weis was here I believe our players were eating at the training table once per day whereas other top programs players had access to it all day - has that changed?

USC. 15 years more recently than ND.
Stanfords been winning Rose Bowls and ACC hs been winning National Championships … while USC Oregon Washington UCLA have been mediocre but somehow the BIG is your envy with one team that has won anything

Stanfords been winning Rose Bowls and ACC hs been winning National Championships … while USC Oregon Washington UCLA have been mediocre but somehow the BIG is your envy with one team that has won anything

Come on, now... You are comparing the ACC picking up Cal, Stanford and SMU to the Big Ten adding USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon?

That is just goofy.

Reactions: baron100
Stanford had a bad year but are usually a tough out. Is on par with UCLA or Washington.

USC and Oregon are the T1’s of the Pac.

ACC should go grab Utah. That team has been better than all the pac the last 10 years.

Be nice to see them grab TCU as well.

Nope I’m saying the BIG hs not been better than the ACC on the field or on the court and Washington and UCLA are yawn

Washington may be "yawn", but they are still better than Cal, Stanford and SMU combined.

Stanford had a bad year but are usually a tough out. Is on par with UCLA or Washington.

USC and Oregon are the T1’s of the Pac.

ACC should go grab Utah. That team has been better than all the pac the last 10 years.

Be nice to see them grab TCU as well.

Stanford has suffered through several bad years. 14-28 the past four seasons. The Trees are close to UCLA in all time winning percentage, .575 to .579, but far behind Washington at .616.

It’s not the 90s anymore, Steve Emtman is out of eligibility, Washington is not winning any championships … btw, Stanford has the best overall athletic department in the country. You bought the Big 10 marketing while they are giving you Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana and Northwestern. ACC stacks up just fine with Big 10 in every sport except hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT