ADVERTISEMENT

Saban is retiring

Bama IMO will have a hard time filling that job. Whoever takes that job is setting themselves up for failure.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Dan Lanning from Oregon is also being mentioned.
Going to be a really interesting couple of weeks. Saban retires, Harbaugh maybe to NFL, NFL Falcons might be looking at Kirby Smart.
Can’t see Kirby leaving for the Falcons dumpster fire. He has it made at Georgia.

Bama players were told there would be a replacement within 72 hours. Now that’s how you do a coaching search. Big time programs do not mess around.
Agreed, and they are also cognizant of not wanting to lose too many players to the portal or have decommittments. However, they are likely going to lose some players.

Wow Greg McElroy on Sirius just said, in order, Lanning, Norvel, Freeman. Absolutely raved about Freeman. Said he “loves freeman” for that job.

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
Its going to be odd not seeing Saben at Bama. I for one will miss him there. He's been a no nonsense, get the job done type coach there for years. Liked his personality. I'm sad too that IF ND ever makes it to the promised land and beats Alabama... it won't feel the same as beating Sabens Alabama. Sure time will fade, but for a while, I feel like beating alabama won't have the same clout that it did with him running the show.

Hell of a set of shoes to fill there, thats for sure.

Can’t see Kirby leaving for the Falcons dumpster fire. He has it made at Georgia.
Bill Belichik may take on the Atlanta dumpster fire, if you believe Adam Schefter from ESPN.

Is it presumed that T Rees will ascend to become the next Alabama head coach. Unconfirmed rumor Is he has contacted Carlo Calaberese to be part of his staff.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Dan Lanning staying at Oregon.

Lanning also reportedly turned down TAM.

Dan Lanning staying at Oregon.

Lanning also reportedly turned down TAM.
Good for him; he wants to finish what he started at Oregon. And the job security's probably better there, too.

From my understanding they are going after Sark. According to a couple of Bama grads I work with Saban wants Sark and will pitch in to pay the buyout. They expect a coach to be named within 24-48 hours

From my understanding they are going after Sark. According to a couple of Bama grads I work with Saban wants Sark and will pitch in to pay the buyout. They expect a coach to be named within 24-48 hours
It was my understanding on Wednesday Alabama wanted Dan Lanning.

What i have learned is do not believe everything you read.

From my understanding they are going after Sark. According to a couple of Bama grads I work with Saban wants Sark and will pitch in to pay the buyout
UT has deeper pockets, but is that the coach to get into a bidding war for

Is it presumed that T Rees will ascend to become the next Alabama head coach. Unconfirmed rumor Is he has contacted Carlo Calaberese to be part of his staff.
Calabrese - LBs
Diaco - DC
Troy Niklas - TEs
Rees - HC/OC/QBs

They're getting the band back together from the 2013 Notre Dame team.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
official now: Mora turns down Alabama Head Coaching job

Look at this quote from On3:

"ESPN CFB insider Pete Thamel shared a number of names that could be attractive to Alabama, even if they might be hard to pull from a current job. It includes a bevy of current Power 5 head coaches: Oregon’s Dan Lanning, Washington’s Kalen DeBoer, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney (who played at Alabama), Penn State’s James Franklin, Florida State’s Mike Norvell and Notre Dame’s Marcus Freeman."

I think Thamel is just spitballing names. Unlike his predecessor, I don't think Marcus would ever leave ND for Bama, even if they waved a fistful of dollars in his face. I sense Marcus is pretty excited about the current direction of the program and wants to see where he can take it. Winning a NC at ND would be way more impressive than winning one at Bama, even if winning at Bama might be an easier task. Swinney would seem like a logical option, given his ties to Bama as a former player, but he apparently has a huge buyout in his contract if he leaves for Bama, though not for the NFL. Then again, money may not be a consideration for Bama, though I don't think they have the war chest that Texas, TAMU or a few other schools have.

Whomever Bama hires, I think Bama can wave goodbye to the glory years they saw under Saban. He was an incredible coach. I'm not sure Bama will sink back into the doldrums they saw in the 1980s, but I don't see them winning multiple NCs and being annually ranked in the top 4 teams in CFB like they were under Saban.
Lanning says no to Bama over his devotion to Oregon and his wife loves Oregon. He has a loaded team next year

Wow Greg McElroy on Sirius just said, in order, Lanning, Norvel, Freeman. Absolutely raved about Freeman. Said he “loves freeman” for that job.
Lanning said no. Norvel could take the job. MF will be better off by staying at ND. I do not see Bama hiring Freeman

I have been to Eugene, Oregon numerous times. Nice place to live if you do not mind rain.

Calabrese - LBs
Diaco - DC
Troy Niklas - TEs
Rees - HC/OC/QBs

They're getting the band back together from the 2013 Notre Dame team.
No way does Bama do this. No way possible do they hire someone without any head coaching experience.

How about Vrabel. He might be tired of the NFL and have enough brass to take the BAMA job

It was my understanding on Wednesday Alabama wanted Dan Lanning.

What i have learned is do not believe everything you read.
My bama grads told me the AD wanted Lanning but Saban wants Sark

How about Vrabel. He might be tired of the NFL and have enough brass to take the BAMA job
Vrabel will be a strong candidate for the Patriots job, I think. Most older guys don't want to go from the NFL to the grind of college recruting, though obviously Saban and a few others have done it. But Saban is a different cat.

It looks like Sark is going to be the next Bama coach. Poor Texas, as soon as they get a good coach who turned the program around he goes to Bama

If the Washington coach says no thanks.
What’s the odds of Brian Kelly putting his hat in the ring ? Lol.

I think it will be DeBoer. He did a fantastic quick turnaround in Washington. Maybe a fish out of water, but arguably so was Saban, at least initially.

I think it will be DeBoer. He did a fantastic quick turnaround in Washington. Maybe a fish out of water, but arguably so was Saban, at least initially.
When you have coached at LSU for 5 seasons like Saban did, you are not a fish out of water at Alabama.

I hope the Washington coach does not take the job. He's done a great job out here. I thought Sark was going to be hired. It's a great job, but is pretty much Championship or bust at Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT