ADVERTISEMENT

Saban is retiring

So says ESPN. I wouldn't want to be the guy who replaces him.
I would. You walk into a team that has the best players in the country. A place that has top notch facilities. And will pay top dollar to you and coaches

Yes please

Reactions: chaseball
Who takes over? Sark? Muschamp? Meyer?
Look at this quote from On3:

"ESPN CFB insider Pete Thamel shared a number of names that could be attractive to Alabama, even if they might be hard to pull from a current job. It includes a bevy of current Power 5 head coaches: Oregon’s Dan Lanning, Washington’s Kalen DeBoer, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney (who played at Alabama), Penn State’s James Franklin, Florida State’s Mike Norvell and Notre Dame’s Marcus Freeman."

I think Thamel is just spitballing names. Unlike his predecessor, I don't think Marcus would ever leave ND for Bama, even if they waved a fistful of dollars in his face. I sense Marcus is pretty excited about the current direction of the program and wants to see where he can take it. Winning a NC at ND would be way more impressive than winning one at Bama, even if winning at Bama might be an easier task. Swinney would seem like a logical option, given his ties to Bama as a former player, but he apparently has a huge buyout in his contract if he leaves for Bama, though not for the NFL. Then again, money may not be a consideration for Bama, though I don't think they have the war chest that Texas, TAMU or a few other schools have.

Whomever Bama hires, I think Bama can wave goodbye to the glory years they saw under Saban. He was an incredible coach. I'm not sure Bama will sink back into the doldrums they saw in the 1980s, but I don't see them winning multiple NCs and being annually ranked in the top 4 teams in CFB like they were under Saban.

Dan Lanning from Oregon is also being mentioned.
Going to be a really interesting couple of weeks. Saban retires, Harbaugh maybe to NFL, NFL Falcons might be looking at Kirby Smart.

"ESPN CFB insider Pete Thamel shared a number of names that could be attractive to Alabama, even if they might be hard to pull from a current job. It includes a bevy of current Power 5 head coaches: Oregon’s Dan Lanning, Washington’s Kalen DeBoer, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney (who played at Alabama), Penn State’s James Franklin, Florida State’s Mike Norvell and Notre Dame’s Marcus Freeman."

I think Thamel is just spitballing names. Unlike his predecessor, I don't think Marcus would ever leave ND for Bama, even if they waved a fistful of dollars in his face. I sense Marcus is pretty excited about the current direction of the program and wants to see where he can take it. Winning a NC at ND would be way more impressive than winning one at Bama, even if winning at Bama might be an easier task. Swinney would seem like a logical option, given his ties to Bama as a former player, but he apparently has a huge buyout in his contract if he leaves for Bama, though not for the NFL. Then again, money may not be a consideration for Bama, though I don't think they have the war chest that Texas, TAMU or a few other schools have.

Whomever Bama hires, I think Bama can wave goodbye to the glory years they saw under Saban. He was an incredible coach. I'm not sure Bama will sink back into the doldrums they saw in the 1980s, but I don't see them winning multiple NCs and being annually ranked in the top 4 teams in CFB like they were under Saban.
Yeah, I don't think they would offer him the job. Nothing against MF who's doing pretty well at ND so far, I just don't think he would get it. That would be classic if Lane Kiffin was the hire. Talk about coming all the way back from the abyss if he did.....

It's gotta be Dabo. The fact that Clemson's fortunes have cooled a bit makes it more doable, I'm thinking, than if Clemson was still making the playoff every year....

Yeah, I don't think they would offer him the job. Nothing against MF who's doing pretty well at ND so far, I just don't think he would get it. That would be classic if Lane Kiffin was the hire. Talk about coming all the way back from the abyss if he did.....

It's gotta be Dabo. The fact that Clemson's fortunes have cooled a bit makes it more doable, I'm thinking, than if Clemson was still making the playoff every year....
It would shock me if Dabo left, what ever misfortunes people think are happening there would be his decisions, and he would take that to Bama
Personally I think Clemson had a down year nothing more, nothing less, and the option of player tranfrering adjustments

Last edited:
Reactions: edub72

I could be wrong, but I don't see Marcus Freeman being a candidate for the Bama job.

Several of those candidates are highly suspect. Franklin? Freeman?

Coaches' agents calling Pete and telling him "Bama is after my guy!". Anything to get the coach a raise and more money for the agents...

IMO Bama 1st offers either Kirby or Harbaugh a ridic amount like 5-10 years at 20-25 million a year.
2nd Options Kiffin, Sark, Lanning, Deboer
Dark Horse Urban lol

Reactions: deadirishpoet
lanning Kirby and dabo have to be discussed... The fact is all three schools won't get out bid, so one would have to really want the job to move. Following Saban is going to be next to impossible and anything short of contending for a naty inside two years will likely be a short stint.

I think kiffin and sark will also get a look.

IMO Bama 1st offers either Kirby or Harbaugh a ridic amount like 5-10 years at 20-25 million a year.
2nd Options Kiffin, Sark, Lanning, Deboer
Dark Horse Urban lol
Doubt Kirby or Harbaugh leave their alma maters (both programs have won nattys more recently than Bama). Dabo makes the most sense, if he wants to return his alma mater to finish out his coaching career.

Urban? You never know...I mean it's about the only place that has more to offer than OSU football factory wise & you know it's killing him that JH just won the Natty.

Bama players were told there would be a replacement within 72 hours. Now that’s how you do a coaching search. Big time programs do not mess around.

Rumors are that Lanning's already in Tuscaloosa and will interview tomorrow.

I could see that. He's from the Saban coaching tree, and is 22-5 so far at Oregon.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT