ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs

The position being devalued... are you really that stupid? Yes the position was being devalued from the late 2000's to early 2010's, but it's value is massively increasing. Look at the NFL drafts since 2015 and see how many backs were taken in the top 10. The cowboys and Dak Prescott need Zeke to be a good team, no coincidence they sucked after going 13-3 last season. The rams and Jaguars both changed the culture and the offense around their stud top 10 draft pick running back. We just saw the giants selecr a running back with the 2nd pick of the draft in one of the deepest QB drafts we've seen in years. Denying the value of running backs is increasing is like denying evolution, which I'm sure you do. But you're right, the nearly unanimous first team All Pro as a ROOKIE Ezekiel Elliott was not a key in Ohio State winning a title...

The position is being devalued more and more every single year, both in the NFL and in college football. If you can’t recognize that you’re an idiot.

That’s a different contention than what you’re fighting against, which would be a contention that the position has absolutely no value whatsoever.

No one is claiming that there aren’t some good running backs out there, or that some aren’t valuable. But the position as a whole is simply nowhere near as valuable as most other positions on the field.

As far as your claims about the overall rushing offense is of the teams you mentioned, those are far more about the offense of line then about the individual running back. The Rams and the cowboys are both perfect examples of the fact that the running back position is at its lowest value ever.

The Rams and the Cowboys have had massive fluctuations in their ability to run the football, despite having the same running backs through those seasons.

That is because the running back position is simply not that important to the rushing attack, Especially when compared to the offense of line or the overall scheme of the offense as a whole.

You’re so stupid you’re actively disapproving your own point. Thanks for that!

Joey Bosa was the best player on the team....by a lot

Zeke is a great RB, but he wasn't even close to the key to that championship. A top flight OL, plus successful dual-threat QB play, plus great defense was the key (with the major NFL talents at WR and RB helping on top of that)

These moronic claims by fools such as @NDIRISH53 and @Get Nasty that the RB position is somehow a key position in CFB, and is anything other than a position being devalued in today's game and often being handled at elite levels by committees and True Frosh RBs.......is just that, moronic

Please tell me you're jumping on board with these idiots
ha ha ha, a position that touches the ball 20-30 times a game is extremely important. There just happens to be more talented Rbs than qbs, more concerning why Nd has such little recruited rb talent. Our most talented rb may be in trouble and not buy in, our second most talented is a converted wr.

Okay question remains, do you think Ohio state wins the title without Zeke? Do you think Bama wins without Derrick Henry? Do you think UGA makes it to the title game without Chubb and Michel? Do you think PSU wins a NY6 without Barkley? Running back is seeing a resurgence in college football. It is one of the most important positions in football. If you don't have an elite running back then you need a heisman level QB (or be Bama) in order to contend.
I do not disagree with you for a season. But my understanding is that the RB in question may be suspended for a few games. If you believe that the defensive competition is not elite then a spread & shred with a competent QB and a few fast guys getting to the edge works. As I mentioned in my example with OSU, it did not work against Clemson. But it worked just fine everywhere else. The Hback generated over 500 more total yards than the starting RB. Over 40% of OSU's completions were to running backs. This is what makes the spread & shred so dangerous in that all you need is a savy QB. He does not have to be an accurate passer. Just good enough to air out a few bombs. If you have a dual threat that can do both, than you have an unstoppable offense. Does not work in the NFL other than change of pace because your QB gets hit once and he might be dead meat. Even a Cam Newton will get beat up.

Reactions: tbonesays
ha ha ha, a position that touches the ball 20-30 times a game is extremely important. There just happens to be more talented Rbs than qbs, more concerning why Nd has such little recruited rb talent. Our most talented rb may be in trouble and not buy in, our second most talented is a converted wr.

Due to your low intelligence you confuse “who touches he ball” with “who’s impacting the play”

The OL and QB are far, far more important on running plays than the RB.
The RB position is at the lowest value it has ever had, and it’s getting lower every year. That’s not changing anytime soon.

Teams with quality QBs and OLs can just plug in the next RB or even run a committee and not miss a beat. Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and so many others have already shown this.

I have no idea how you can really be this stupid.

Due to your low intelligence you confuse “who touches he ball” with “who’s impacting the play”

The RB position is at the lowest value it has ever had, and it’s getting lower every year. That’s not changing anytime soon.

Teams with quality QBs and OLs can just plug in the next RB or even run a committee and not miss a beat. Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and so many others have already shown this.

Hahahahaha the QB is more important than the RB on a running play!!! And you have the nerve to call someone else stupid

Hahahahaha the QB is more important than the RB on a running play!!! And you have the nerve to call someone else stupid

Far, far more important.

The fact that you can’t acknowledge that les us know that you’re still stuck back in 1972, thinking that RBs are the reason that a run play succeeds or fails.

It must suck to wake up each morning and still be as stupid as your are.

Far, far more important.

The fact that you can’t acknowledge that les us know that you’re still stuck back in 1972, thinking that RBs are the reason that a run play succeeds or fails.

I'm done with you clown, I have heard it all today! QB's are more important than running backs on RUN PLAYS, Ezekiel Elliott wasn't a key to Ohio State winning the title, that's too much stupidity for me in one day. Back to blocking you I go. It was fun nailing you to a cross and exposing you like the idiot you are. Goodbye. You are the king of the dopes!

Reactions: echowaker
I'm done with you clown, I have heard it all today! QB's are more important than running backs on RUN PLAYS, Ezekiel Elliott wasn't a key to Ohio State winning the title, that's too much stupidity for me in one day. Back to blocking you I go. It was fun nailing you to a cross and exposing you like the idiot you are. Goodbye. You are the king of the dopes!

Ah yes, the “RB is a super important position” clown runs away again.

What else can we expect from a senile “man” who still thinks the “lessons” he learned in 1972 apply today.

It must be rough seeing how obsolete and pathetic you’ve become in today’s world.

Ah yes, the “RB is a super important position” clown runs away again.

What else can we expect from a senile “man” who still thinks the “lessons” he learned in 1972 apply today.

It must be rough seeing how obsolete and pathetic you’ve become in today’s world.
Senile man? Lol you probably have never even seen a girl naked

Senile man? Lol you probably have never even seen a girl naked

Is this what you tell yourself to feel better about how utterly ridiculous and without merit your “points” are?

Tell me more about how teams like the Rams and the Cowboys show that the RB position is not at it lowest value ever.....when those exact teams have massive fluctuations in their rushing performances, despite having the exact same RB in both/all years.

You’re so comically stupid, I’m doing you a favor by just assuming senility has set in.

The alternative is that you’ve been the dumbest person in the room for your entire life....in every room you’ve ever entered.

So all the chatter about Densons short comings seem valid, but at some point is it not Brian Kelly’s job to step up and recruit rbs with total effort if Denson is not getting it done? I always hear how urban and saban make it a priority to take over the recruiting when they want a rb very bad. I can’t remember a rb that kelly has put the full court press on from the beginning to the end of a kids recruitment.

Reactions: chitown sot
So all the chatter about Densons short comings seem valid, but at some point is it not Brian Kelly’s job to step up and recruit rbs with total effort if Denson is not getting it done? I always hear how urban and saban make it a priority to take over the recruiting when they want a rb very bad. I can’t remember a rb that kelly has put the full court press on from the beginning to the end of a kids recruitment.

He certainly has to push Denson buttons

Reactions: Maxgalt12

You are right, not like the nfl will soon be paying rbs close to qb value. It’s not like rbs are catching the ball more and becoming leathal weapons on the field. I mean Alvin Kamara, bell, David Johnson, Zeke elliot, gurley, etc etc do not have massive impacts on their team with their immense talent. Oh wait, they are more important to their team than their qb. Wonder the saints had a great season when brees had an average season for him.

Only Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady can get away without having stud rbs.

Up is down, down is up ... living in the world you do

Is this what you tell yourself to feel better about how utterly ridiculous and without merit your “points” are?

Tell me more about how teams like the Rams and the Cowboys show that the RB position is not at it lowest value ever.....when those exact teams have massive fluctuations in their rushing performances, despite having the exact same RB in both/all years.

You’re so comically stupid, I’m doing you a favor by just assuming senility has set in.

The alternative is that you’ve been the dumbest person in the room for your entire life....in every room you’ve ever entered.
Ummmm maybe you didn’t realize Zeke was suspended most of the season and they couldn’t run the ball throw the ball or win without him.

Joey Bosa was the best player on the team....by a lot

Zeke is a great RB, but he wasn't even close to the key to that championship. A top flight OL, plus successful dual-threat QB play, plus great defense was the key (with the major NFL talents at WR and RB helping on top of that)

These moronic claims by fools such as @NDIRISH53 and @Get Nasty that the RB position is somehow a key position in CFB, and is anything other than a position being devalued in today's game and often being handled at elite levels by committees and True Frosh RBs.......is just that, moronic

Please tell me you're jumping on board with these idiots
thats your opinion. they were incredibly deep on the d-line. his absence would have way less impact than elliots would have.

Come on, that’s not their only role. It’s not 1990. You have to get buy in.
i've been in education and coaching my entire professional life. its not absolute. some kids just aren't interested for whatever reason. if williams can't see the pot at the end of the rainbow (NFL) not sure what you expect any coach to do. it seems like few here puts ANY burden of responsibility on williams for the current situation.

Far, far more important.

way too vague of an opinion and reeks of a tremendous lack of understanding in the fundamentals of both the quarterback and running back position.

You are right, not like the nfl will soon be paying rbs close to qb value. It’s not like rbs are catching the ball more and becoming leathal weapons on the field. I mean Alvin Kamara, bell, David Johnson, Zeke elliot, gurley, etc etc do not have massive impacts on their team with their immense talent. Oh wait, they are more important to their team than their qb. Wonder the saints had a great season when brees had an average season for him.

Only Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady can get away without having stud rbs.
very true. brees benefited greatly from his running game this past season.

Ummmm maybe you didn’t realize Zeke was suspended most of the season and they couldn’t run the ball throw the ball or win without him.

Zeke was suspended for part of the season, and they couldn’t run the ball or throw the ball, regardless of whether he was here or not.

That proves my point.

Their issue was primarily the losses along their OL...not their RB
(Plus regression at QB and WR)

Cowboys are a perfect example of how unimportant the RB position is.

thats your opinion. they were incredibly deep on the d-line. his absence would have way less impact than elliots would have.

Incorrect.
That’s a fact.

For example, we got to see first hand how much easier their defense was to score in with Bosa our, when he was ejected for speaking against ND.

Before that, ND couldn’t do anything on offense, at all. He personally destroyed us. After that, we scored nearly 30 points.

Bosa was the best talent, regardless of position.
Zeke was a great talent at an unimportant position.

way too vague of an opinion and reeks of a tremendous lack of understanding in the fundamentals of both the quarterback and running back position.

Lol. Okay.

Feel free to try and counter my “opinion” then
(But it’s really a fact)

I’ve already exposed your lack of understanding over and over. I’m more happy to do so again.

You're an idiot hahaha. I like how you just refuse to answer my question of if any of those teams would be as successful without their heisman contending running back, classic. And look what oklahoma and Clemson have had when they won titles or made deep playoff runs, 2 generational talents at QB! Clemson clearly isn't at the same level as they were when they had Watson, and Ohio state clearly isn't the same level as when they had Zeke, both teams get murdered when they get into the playoffs due to mediocre Qb and Rb play. And what freshman running backs? Taylor from Wisconsin who played absolutely nothing and couldn't buy a yard? JK Dobbing who is an elite talent, or Najee Harris who is an elite talent. Honestly tell me, do not dodge the question, would Georgia have made the title game and almost won without Chubb and Michel? Think about that while you're in between Call of Duty games in mama's basement.
Come on, of course those teams wouldn't have been as successful without two of the top RBs in the last decade and a Heisman trophy winner. Your argument doesn't prove the importance of the position in college by simply stating the teams they played on wouldn't have been as successful without these once a decade talents.

Don't worry IIO, according to the football genius Friedman running back isn't an important position in college. Ohio state would have still won without Ezekiel elliot, and Bama would have won without Derrick Henry also. Oh yea and UGA probably could have beaten Bama if they didn't have Chubb and Michel.
So if the RB position was as important as you state, Georgia should have dominated Bama? They were way better than Bama's backs. Lost in all this is the best runner on the team, Wimbush, he can get to the edge.

So if the RB position was as important as you state, Georgia should have dominated Bama? They were way better than Bama's backs. Lost in all this is the best runner on the team, Wimbush, he can get to the edge.

It's more than just the quality of the back. Everything is relative and all the factors in a football game must be taken into consideration. The most ideal situation is an elite back, an elite offensive line in front of him. Playmakers at wide receiver that force defenses into coverage and out of the box. A quarterback that can get them the ball at will and who doubles as a run threat demanding further attention from the defense to create even more space for said back. Those are just a few of the factors in back's success. I could go further into detail if anyone would like me too... After those details are taken into account, you then have to factor in the quality of the defenses he faces.

It's not enough to simply say one team's Running backs are better than another's... All you can do recruit the most talented possible players at each position, with the best intangibles and maximize their development. What has stumped me about ND is not that they haven't recruited RB's at Ohio State's or Alabama's levels. I don't expect them too. What troubles me is that lately the gap has been significant. Too much so, IMO.

Reactions: Telx1
It's more than just the quality of the back. Everything is relative and all the factors in a football game must be taken into consideration. The most ideal situation is an elite back, an elite offensive line in front of him. Playmakers at wide receiver that force defenses into coverage and out of the box. A quarterback that can get them the ball at will and who doubles as a run threat demanding further attention from the defense to create even more space for said back. Those are just a few of the factors in back's success. I could go further into detail if anyone would like me too... After those details are taken into account, you then have to factor in the quality of the defenses he faces.

It's not enough to simply say one team's Running backs are better than another's... All you can do recruit the most talented possible players at each position, with the best intangibles and maximize their development. What has stumped me about ND is not that they haven't recruited RB's at Ohio State's or Alabama's levels. I don't expect them too. What troubles me is that lately the gap has been significant. Too much so, IMO.

No one is debating that elite RBs are better to have than mediocre RBs.

The debate is about the relative importance of elite RB, when compared with the importance of an OL, QB, etc.

Thus, how likely teams are to lose games, simply as a result of the dropoff from a good RB to a mediocre RB, if other (more important) positions continue to play at a very high level.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Obviously.

Before Elliott, Hyde dominates at Ohio State. Afterwards, Dobbins does. Why? Because it’s not really about the RB.
Georgia would have just subbed in Swift and not missed a beat.
And Alabama has never missed a beat, even when the RBs are NFL failures.

The only thing you’ve ever done is humiliate yourself.

Why did Clemson make the playoffs without an RB anyone could even name?
Oklahoma with RBs whonbarely ever played before?

The reality is that RB doesn’t matter, and everyone with a brain knows it.

But we all know that you’re too much of a pathetic coward to reply to this and even try to defend your pathetic stances.
Hyde and Elliot are NFL caliber RB's. In 2016 when it was Weber who is a few steps inferior OSU struggled. Dobbins is definitely better than Webber and in my opinion will be the starter. You can get away with an anybody against normal teams but not elite. Which is why OSU lost to Clemson 24 to 0. Webber was not good enough to make plays on his own where at Elliott will turn 2nd and 10 to 2nd and 8.

If Georgia had average running backs the game wouldn't have been close. Freshman qb remember that.

Lol. Okay.

Feel free to try and counter my “opinion” then
(But it’s really a fact)

I’ve already exposed your lack of understanding over and over. I’m more happy to do so again.
the next time you "expose" me will be the first time. my discarded toenail clippings have significantly more football knowledge than you'll ever hope to possess.

Incorrect.
That’s a fact.

For example, we got to see first hand how much easier their defense was to score in with Bosa our, when he was ejected for speaking against ND.

Before that, ND couldn’t do anything on offense, at all. He personally destroyed us. After that, we scored nearly 30 points.

not a fact because you state it. no one is questioning either players ability. the "fact" is that ohio st was much deeper on the defensive line than at running back and had they lost bosa the impact would have been much less had they lost elliott. citing one game to support your claim is silly. i can play that game. when urban refused to give the ball to elliot against msu they lost the game. both players were great in college and are both great in the nfl. disparaging elliott because you perceive his position to be unimportant is foolish and silly and yet another futile attempt by you to insist you are right in every single discussion. you are incapable of an educated, balanced respectful discussion of anything.

No one is debating that elite RBs are better to have than mediocre RBs.

The debate is about the relative importance of elite RB, when compared with the importance of an OL, QB, etc.

Thus, how likely teams are to lose games, simply as a result of the dropoff from a good RB to a mediocre RB, if other (more important) positions continue to play at a very high level.
I agree with you on this statement. I don't think a great RB is as important in a spread & shred if you have a QB who can read the keys efficiently. You just need some burners. I think talented RB's are more important for power. This is why Alabama takes the top 5 five star RB's. At an elite level clearly having a great RB even if the offense does not require it is still beneficial. Here is a good example. How many great RB's have come out of Oregon since Jonathan Stewart? Oregon ran amok with blazers but not individuals who could read a play like an Emmitt Smith. They could not even do one cut reads. Because in the spread & shred the QB is making the decision. That is the important thing as being a RB is not just about being fast, making people miss, or running them over. The best like Elliot are patient enough to read the blocks and find the hole. In spread & shred I can be dumber than a Michigan homer. I just have to run to the spot if the QB hands me the ball.

it's the ultimate team sport. everyone needs to do their job for the team to be successful. you can certainly put a premium on certain positions but they ALL must be efficient and productive for the team to achieve their goals.

Incorrect.
That’s a fact.

idiotic statement. no position is "unimportant" . to believe so reinforces the fact that you possess little if any football knowledge.

not a fact because you state it. no one is questioning either players ability. the "fact" is that ohio st was much deeper on the defensive line than at running back and had they lost bosa the impact would have been much less had they lost elliott. citing one game to support your claim is silly. i can play that game. when urban refused to give the ball to elliot against msu they lost the game. both players were great in college and are both great in the nfl. disparaging elliott because you perceive his position to be unimportant is foolish and silly and yet another futile attempt by you to insist you are right in every single discussion. you are incapable of an educated, balanced respectful discussion of anything.
What a genius Friedman is to use the 2015 fiesta bowl to support his claim. Odd that I remember Zeke absolutely demolishing our defense, and I remember Joey bosa playing about a half of a quarter, but somehow Ohio state still dominated. But let me guess Zeke had nothing to do with that, just like he had nothing to do with the cowboys going 13-3

Reactions: echowaker
What a genius Friedman is to use the 2015 fiesta bowl to support his claim. Odd that I remember Zeke absolutely demolishing our defense, and I remember Joey bosa playing about a half of a quarter, but somehow Ohio state still dominated. But let me guess Zeke had nothing to do with that, just like he had nothing to do with the cowboys going 13-3
gotta love his "facts ". he can certainly spin it.

The game was over after it was 14-0. The Irish clawed to make it competitive. I never thought we would win especially after smith went down and out also the offense eventually moved the ball but never with consistency. We were not as good on D and we were to inconsistent on O that game.

Hyde and Elliot are NFL caliber RB's. In 2016 when it was Weber who is a few steps inferior OSU struggled. Dobbins is definitely better than Webber and in my opinion will be the starter. You can get away with an anybody against normal teams but not elite. Which is why OSU lost to Clemson 24 to 0. Webber was not good enough to make plays on his own where at Elliott will turn 2nd and 10 to 2nd and 8.

My god, you get dumber with every single post.

In 2016, Ohio State was a Top10 Rushing Offense with ~250 yards/game and 5.5 yards/carry....while making the playoffs.

That's like claiming ND struggled to run the ball in 2017.

Just unbelievable amounts of stupidity from you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT