ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs

Tony jones is not 20 pounds heavier, he lost a lot of weight and doesn't look that wide anymore imo. And the 40 yard runs don't even impress me the most about Dex. He just gets 5 yards every single time and has amazing vision between the tackles, explosive as well.

One thing you do not respond to is to be a complete back you need to block and you seem to ignore Dexter's flaws there

One thing you do not respond to is to be a complete back you need to block and you seem to ignore Dexter's flaws there
I get that jones does the little things well in practice according to the coaches, and I know Dex has his flaws, but the talent gap between them is huge. All I'm saying. Also if ND had a legit running back coach Dex would be able to do the little things better in his 4th year in the program.

Reactions: chitown sot
Tony jones is not 20 pounds heavier, he lost a lot of weight and doesn't look that wide anymore imo. And the 40 yard runs don't even impress me the most about Dex. He just gets 5 yards every single time and has amazing vision between the tackles, explosive as well.

I get that jones does the little things well in practice according to the coaches, and I know Dex has his flaws, but the talent gap between them is huge. All I'm saying. Also if ND had a legit running back coach Dex would be able to do the little things better in his 4th year in the program.

Here is the problem with Dexter even with all the talents he has. If he is put out there and misses or wiff's on his blocking assignments it is a bigger problem that having tony jones get the bulk of the carries So he runs for 20 yards great run right. Next play misses a block and BW is sacked -11 yards. And worse he is injured. So what is the benefit to having him play if he is potentially a liability

Compared to ND's competition, you can't possibly be arguing that ND has a ton of talent at running back right now. They have whiffed on every top end running back since Tony Alford bounced for Ohio State. He was responsible for the recruitment of Dexter Williams and Josh Adams, btw. While Tony has been KILLING it at Ohio State, you can't say the same about the recruiting Autry has brought to Notre Dame.

Autry Denson (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Tony Jones Jr. 0.8926 Comp. #14 RB, #325 Overall
Deon McIntosh 0.8524 Comp. #48 RB, #777 Overall
CJ Holmes 0.9079 Comp. #19 RB, #245 Overall
Jahmir Smith 0.8721 Comp.#26 RB, #611 Overall
C'Bo Flemister 0.8456 Comp. #68 RB, NR Overall

Tony Alford (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Demario McCall 0.9767 Comp. #2 RB, #44 Overall
Antonio Williams 0.9286 Comp. #7 RB, #169 Overall
J.K. Dobbins 0.9791 Comp. #2 RB, # 46 Overall
Jaelin Gill 0.9831 Comp. #2 RB, #30 Overall
Brian Snead 0.9607 Comp. #3 RB, #80 Overall
Master Teague 0.9132 Comp. #11 RB, #228 Overall
Sampson James 0.9354 Comp. #7 RB, #152 Overall
Steele Chambers 0.8954 Comp. #25 ATH, #325 Overall

Tony Alford has completely dwarfed the effort from Autry Denson. Look at the disparity between those two recruiting efforts and somebody PLEASE try to defend the job Autry Denson has done in 3 years at Notre Dame, especially when you consider how many of his backs have gotten into trouble and are no longer on the team, or are suspended heading into the season. The depth chart has had to be bolstered by a wide receiver and a quarterback.
IIO....putting the Ohio St recruiting juggernaut aside, and Alford with it, there is no denying that RB recruitment has taken a big hit since Alford left. I think You can make The case that Denson’s has been the better position coach based on stats, especially turnovers, but it’s a team game and too simplistic to draw too many conclusions. Comparing Denson’s recruiting at ND to Alford’s at Ohio St isn’t a fair measure either, but simply comparing quality of ND talent is, and Tony wins hands down. Major area of concern going forward.

IIO....putting the Ohio St recruiting juggernaut aside, and Alford with it, there is no denying that RB recruitment has taken a big hit since Alford left. I think You can make The case that Denson’s has been the better position coach based on stats, especially turnovers, but it’s a team game and too simplistic to draw too many conclusions. Comparing Denson’s recruiting at ND to Alford’s at Ohio St isn’t a fair measure either, but simply comparing quality of ND talent is, and Tony wins hands down. Major area of concern going forward.

The other factor to consider is that Tony played a key role in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas as well. He was instrumental in pulling some of the "big fish" that weren't running backs. Outside of Kevin Austin in last year's class, Autry as been non existent when it comes to helping pull those big fish out off the South that ND absolutely needs to be competitive.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
There was a time when Lou Holtz had RB concerns. So he moved Autry Denson to running back. That move turned out pretty darn well. There are a couple of players on the roster that probably could make the move to RB. The question is, will Kelly make the move? Personally I’m not too concerned with the RB position. Backs are a dime a dozen in my opinion. The key will be the offensive line. Losing 2 first rounders is going to hurt. Can the Irish be as good running the ball without them? We don’t know yet. The talent is there. The main thing with the offensive line is to work as a unit as opposed to individuals. If one messes up then it affects the whole play. If you have a cohesive line, then a good running back can be a great running back. Lee Becton comes to mind. He wasn’t the biggest or quickest back. However, he had a terrific line who led the way and he turned out to be an outstanding player at ND. So let’s just see how things develop. If Quinn can get the offensive line to play at a high level, I believe whoever is in the backfield will benefit greatly.

Reactions: echowaker
I view ND's competition as a team they could face in the playoffs or a New Years 6 Bowl Game, not the teams on their regular season schedule. The reason being that ND doesn't play for anything other than a playoff spot and a potential birth in the national championship so comparing them to teams like Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State is more important than comparing them to Pittsburgh or Michigan.

All that said and I still am a firm believer that RB is an extremely deep position in every recruiting class given that at the high school level just about every team's best athlete plays running back. There are a lot of options. I'm just dismayed that ND has had to reach so far down the national lists each year to get a guy.

That’s fine.

I’d define our competition as the teams we know that we’ll actually compete against....because that’s what competition means.

Thus, our RB position is still better than most of our competition.

You're an idiot hahaha. I like how you just refuse to answer my question of if any of those teams would be as successful without their heisman contending running back, classic. And look what oklahoma and Clemson have had when they won titles or made deep playoff runs, 2 generational talents at QB! Clemson clearly isn't at the same level as they were when they had Watson, and Ohio state clearly isn't the same level as when they had Zeke, both teams get murdered when they get into the playoffs due to mediocre Qb and Rb play. And what freshman running backs? Taylor from Wisconsin who played absolutely nothing and couldn't buy a yard? JK Dobbing who is an elite talent, or Najee Harris who is an elite talent. Honestly tell me, do not dodge the question, would Georgia have made the title game and almost won without Chubb and Michel? Think about that while you're in between Call of Duty games in mama's basement.

Or the Boston College RB.

But hey, only 4-5 Frosh RBs in the top echelon of production...because the RB is the least important part of the emote run game.

Plus, Clemson just made the playoffs without a great QB or RB...because RB just doesn’t matter that much and other positions do.

And yes, those teams would have subbed in some other guy who would have blown up, because the RB is the least important player in the run game. Same way as we would have just subbed someone in if Prosise or Adams weren’t there.

You just get stupider with every single post.

But hey, only 4-5 Frosh RBs in the top echelon of production...because the RB is the least important part of the emote run game.

Plus, Clemson just made the playoffs without a great QB or RB...because RB just doesn’t matter that much and other positions do.

And yes, those teams would have subbed in some other guy who would have blown up, because the RB is the least important player in the run game. Same way as we would have just subbed someone in if Prosise or Adams weren’t there.

So your official stance is that Ohio state would have been national championships without elliot, and that UGA would have still played in the Title game without Chubb and Michel... and Alabama would have still beat Clemson without Derrick Henry? I never thought I would see this level of idiocy, but you surpassed it. Now back to muting you I go. You clutter the board with your pathetic bitch fits. Goodbye loser, I've enjoyed smacking you around like your a step son I hate. Complete clown that has the audacity to insault everyone who disagrees. Good riddance dope

Reactions: Get Nasty
That’s fine.

I’d define our competition as the teams we know that we’ll actually compete against....because that’s what competition means.

Thus, our RB position is still better than most of our competition.

That's fine as well. By definition you are correct. I'm more concerned about how ND manages not to get absolutely mutilated if they can get to the playoffs, however. There current roster is nowhere near good enough at a few positions.

So your official stance is that Ohio state would have been national championships without elliot, and that UGA would have still played in the Title game without Chubb and Michel... and Alabama would have still beat Clemson without Derrick Henry? I never thought I would see this level of idiocy, but you surpassed it. Now back to muting you I go. You clutter the board with your pathetic bitch fits. Goodbye loser, I've enjoyed smacking you around like your a step son I hate. Complete clown that has the audacity to insault everyone who disagrees. Good riddance dope

Obviously.

Before Elliott, Hyde dominates at Ohio State. Afterwards, Dobbins does. Why? Because it’s not really about the RB.
Georgia would have just subbed in Swift and not missed a beat.
And Alabama has never missed a beat, even when the RBs are NFL failures.

The only thing you’ve ever done is humiliate yourself.

Why did Clemson make the playoffs without an RB anyone could even name?
Oklahoma with RBs whonbarely ever played before?

The reality is that RB doesn’t matter, and everyone with a brain knows it.

But we all know that you’re too much of a pathetic coward to reply to this and even try to defend your pathetic stances.

That's fine as well. By definition you are correct. I'm more concerned about how ND manages not to get absolutely mutilated if they can get to the playoffs, however. There current roster is nowhere near good enough at a few positions.

I’m only concerned about the games well actually play for now.

If we make the playoffs, then we’re more than good enough to win them too, based in positions other than RB
(Since RB is massively, massively unimportant...despite what morons like @NDIRISH53 pathetically try to claim)

Obviously.

Before Elliott, Hyde dominates at Ohio State. Afterwards, Dobbins does. Why? Because it’s not really about the RB.

But we all know that you’re too much of a pathetic coward to reply to this and even try to defend your pathetic stances.

I thought Wayne Gallman was exceptional for Clemson. Did exactly what they needed him to do in order for them to be successful. Travis Etienne is going to be a good one too. The Louisiana prospect was highly coveted during his recruitment and I think he'll be a multi year 1000 yard rusher before he leaves Clemson.

I thought Wayne Gallman was exceptional for Clemson. Did exactly what they needed him to do in order for them to be successful. Travis Etienne is going to be a good one too. The Louisiana prospect was highly coveted during his recruitment and I think he'll be a multi year 1000 yard rusher before he leaves Clemson.

Gallman wasn’t on the team in 2017, so he’s completely irrelevant.

Etienne was a 3* RB who just helped his team make the playoffs, as a Frosh....so thank you for proving my point for me.

Always nice when I just use other people to prove that @NDIRISH53 is a moron, while also forcing them to agree that I’m absolutely right.

Appreciated.

which positions?

The runningbacks have been highly successfull under Autry. Tonys biggest success was Theo Riddick--A Charlie Weis recruit. And he had the same problems with running backs not completely buying in like Cierre Wood(suspended to open his last season for the same thing Dexter did))who could have been a superstar at ND. George Atkinson Cam McDaniel Meh. Tony = overrated. George Jetson could recruit great runningbacks to come to Ohio State. Easiest job in the country under Urban Meyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bumpdaddy and Telx1
Okay question remains, do you think Ohio state wins the title without Zeke? Do you think Bama wins without Derrick Henry? Do you think UGA makes it to the title game without Chubb and Michel? Do you think PSU wins a NY6 without Barkley? Running back is seeing a resurgence in college football. It is one of the most important positions in football. If you don't have an elite running back then you need a heisman level QB (or be Bama) in order to contend.
no and williams is nowhere near the quality of back as the guys you mentioned. not even close. if the line does its part the production will be there. that factor is way more important than who is carrying the ball.

blaming denson for williams for not being a hard worker is idiotic. he's not a child. you either have a work ethic or you don't.

Gallman wasn’t on the team in 2017, so he’s completely irrelevant.

Etienne was a 3* RB who just helped his team make the playoffs, as a Frosh....so thank you for proving my point for me.

Always nice when I just use other people to prove that @NDIRISH53 is a moron, while also forcing them to agree that I’m absolutely right.

Appreciated.

Gallman was on a national championship team and was a key factor the the previous year as well. Etienne was not a 3 star back. He was a composite 4 star back, nationally ranked #213 overall player, #15 RB in his class...

Gallman was on a national championship team and was a key factor the the previous year as well. Etienne was not a 3 star back. He was a composite 4 star back, nationally ranked #213 overall player, #15 RB in his class...
really good players.

you're leaving out the one thing jones clearly has over williams, availability.

Reactions: NDIRISH53

Gallman wasn’t on the team in 2017, and thus irrelevant to the point I made about Clemson making the playoffs without an elite RB and/or an elite QB.

Etienne was a 3* RB on this site, and not even a particularly high 3* at that.

Based on your logic, Tony Jones would also be a highly touted RB....because he was a composite 4* despite being a 3* on Rivals.

no and williams is nowhere near the quality of back as the guys you mentioned. not even close. if the line does its part the production will be there. that factor is way more important than who is carrying the ball.
I was responding to that dope Friedman. He actually said that Ohio state could have replaced Ezekiel elliot with any old running back and they'd still win the national title. That team would not have made the playoffs with him. That's the dumbest thing I've ever since he compared Michigan states defensive ends to jj watt and clay Matthews, im not kidding

Here is the problem with Dexter even with all the talents he has. If he is put out there and misses or wiff's on his blocking assignments it is a bigger problem that having tony jones get the bulk of the carries So he runs for 20 yards great run right. Next play misses a block and BW is sacked -11 yards. And worse he is injured. So what is the benefit to having him play if he is potentially a liability
Even Driskell who I have never heard rip on a coach, acknowledged what I have been saying. I get Dex doesn't have laser focus in practice, but as a coach, you need to find a way to make him respect and fear you to the point where he doesn't want to let you down. That clearly isn't happening with Dex. And let's not act like he's the son of Satan or something, every single program has many many many kids like that who end up being great players, they just have coaches who the don't want to let down. If a kid doesn't know the technique you do everything in your power to make sure he does, that's why he's paid.

do you just say things or write things without even thinking? Or are you that dumb? Or what is going on with your thought process?

Clemson - QB- There's probably only 10 schools or so that wouldn't want Kelly Bryant as their QB. He is what we were hoping for from Wimbush last year. completed 66% of his passes. he was a finalist for the manning award. I mean how dumb are you not to see how talented he is and how good he played last year.
RB - I Bet there is about 5 schools or so that like their RB situation better than clemson. Etienne is a stud and was a true frosh last year. He will be a good draft pick in 2 years. Fester as a true soph is a good RB, but he is getting over shadowed by the talent and potential of Etienne. Etienne is someone you have to game plan for. THose two are top tier 4 star guys, especially etienne. Clemson D was awesome last year and the biggest reason for their playoff run, but to say they don't have top tier talent and production at QB and RB shows your lack or intelligence and your farting out of your mouth. Without the studs they have on Offense they would have lost a few more games.

Obviously.

Elliot is arguably the best NFL RB, HYDE is a good NFL RB, Dobbins will soon be a good or great NFL RB, Swift will soon be a good or great NFL RB.... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? These are absolute studs, that is why the teams aren't missing a beat.

DUMB DUMB DUMB

BS......... Penn state's Oline has been crap for Barkley's entire career. THey had awesome skill players and OC. If they had an oline like ND's, Barkley would have rushed for well over 2k.

Gallman wasn’t on the team in 2017, and thus irrelevant to the point I made about Clemson making the playoffs without an elite RB and/or an elite QB.

Etienne was a 3* RB on this site, and not even a particularly high 3* at that.

Based on your logic, Tony Jones would also be a highly touted RB....because he was a composite 4* despite being a 3* on Rivals.
Maybe because Alabama, clemson, and lsu were interested in him......... I don't even know who actually had a comittable offer for tony jones.

I was responding to that dope Friedman. He actually said that Ohio state could have replaced Ezekiel elliot with any old running back and they'd still win the national title. That team would not have made the playoffs with him. That's the dumbest thing I've ever since he compared Michigan states defensive ends to jj watt and clay Matthews, im not kidding
Agree. Elliot was easily the best player they had. A real difference maker.

Friedman is either the dumbest person alive, or he's brilliant and trying to just get reactions and saying the complete opposite of common sense

Agree. Elliot was easily the best player they had. A real difference maker.

Joey Bosa was the best player on the team....by a lot

Zeke is a great RB, but he wasn't even close to the key to that championship. A top flight OL, plus successful dual-threat QB play, plus great defense was the key (with the major NFL talents at WR and RB helping on top of that)

These moronic claims by fools such as @NDIRISH53 and @Get Nasty that the RB position is somehow a key position in CFB, and is anything other than a position being devalued in today's game and often being handled at elite levels by committees and True Frosh RBs.......is just that, moronic

Please tell me you're jumping on board with these idiots

do you just say things or write things without even thinking? Or are you that dumb? Or what is going on with your thought process?

Clemson - QB- There's probably only 10 schools or so that wouldn't want Kelly Bryant as their QB. He is what we were hoping for from Wimbush last year. completed 66% of his passes. he was a finalist for the manning award. I mean how dumb are you not to see how talented he is and how good he played last year.
RB - I Bet there is about 5 schools or so that like their RB situation better than clemson. Etienne is a stud and was a true frosh last year. He will be a good draft pick in 2 years. Fester as a true soph is a good RB, but he is getting over shadowed by the talent and potential of Etienne. Etienne is someone you have to game plan for. THose two are top tier 4 star guys, especially etienne. Clemson D was awesome last year and the biggest reason for their playoff run, but to say they don't have top tier talent and production at QB and RB shows your lack or intelligence and your farting out of your mouth. Without the studs they have on Offense they would have lost a few more games.

Etienne was a 3* RB.....and not even a particularly high 3*

Unless you're counting the 247 composite.......where Jones is also a 4*

Try not to be so stupid the next time you decide to post a diatribe

Zeke is a great RB, but he wasn't even close to the key to that championship. A top flight OL, plus successful dual-threat QB play, plus great defense was the key (with the major NFL talents at WR and RB helping on top of that)

These moronic claims by fools such as @NDIRISH53 and @Get Nasty that the RB position is somehow a key position in CFB, and is anything other than a position being devalued in today's game and often being handled at elite levels by committees and True Frosh RBs.......is just that, moronic

Hey genius, you do realize that Ohio State won with its 3rd string quarterback, right? And no Joey Bosa is not a better player than Zeke. They are about the same talent. You are probably in the 1% of stupid people who would suggest that Zeke wasn't a key to winning the national title. That's a level of idiocy only an adult virgin could come up with due to all the time spent overthinking in mama's basement.

The position being devalued... are you really that stupid? Yes the position was being devalued from the late 2000's to early 2010's, but it's value is massively increasing. Look at the NFL drafts since 2015 and see how many backs were taken in the top 10. The cowboys and Dak Prescott need Zeke to be a good team, no coincidence they sucked after going 13-3 last season. The rams and Jaguars both changed the culture and the offense around their stud top 10 draft pick running back. We just saw the giants selecr a running back with the 2nd pick of the draft in one of the deepest QB drafts we've seen in years. Denying the value of running backs is increasing is like denying evolution, which I'm sure you do. But you're right, the nearly unanimous first team All Pro as a ROOKIE Ezekiel Elliott was not a key in Ohio State winning a title...

Hey genius, you do realize that Ohio State won with its 3rd string quarterback, right? And no Joey Bosa is not a better player than Zeke. They are about the same talent. You are probably in the 1% of stupid people who would suggest that Zeke wasn't a key to winning the national title. That's a level of idiocy only an adult virgin could come up with due to all the time spent overthinking in mama's basement.

Who cares what string he was?

He was an unbelievably talented dual threat quarterback who was playing at next Remely high-level… And what is the key (on offense) in there push for the title.

Elliot is talented, but he plays a devalued position, and as such was nowhere near as important in Ohio states push for the title as several other players on that team .

Your inability to understand even basic concepts about football is absolutely comical

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT