ADVERTISEMENT

Rookie Head Coaching Blues

A top 5 roster???

QB???? Are you saying ND has a top 5 QB? Pyne would not start on any team ND played outside of Navy.

WR??? Does ND have 1 top 5 WR???? Nope
ND does not have a top 30 WR

LB??? Good not great. ND definitely does not have a to 5 LB. Not even a top 20

DL? Isaiah maybe top 10-15???? Then that’s it

The secondary as a whole.

Joseph is good not great and Morrison is definitely going to be a top CB.

The rest of the secondary is no where near top 5.

I love the Oline

So, I see no top 5 players outside of maybe Oline.
We have a top 15 roster. It would be top 5 or so with a big time qb

You consider Kelly at the top of his profession? Someone that has yet to win a meaningful game? A NY6 bowl game, Playoff game, a championship. Glad I don't hang in your circles, and feel bad for those that do with those standards.
So you wouldn't consider Kelly a top-ten CF coach? I would say anyone in the Top 10% pf their profession is at the top...is he #1? NO...but close enough to see the guy that is...

And I'd be curious to know who you think #1 is...I think Kelly hit his ceiling at Notre Dame and never would be #1, but partly because he would never have the resources to be #1...Nicky gets all the glory in the world, but he is the CEO of a company, not a football coach, and is running a pro franchise...I think he has done a great job, but it comes down to this for me (with thanks to someone who was referring to Bear Bryant): "He can take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his..." Saban's proven that is not true of himself...

So you wouldn't consider Kelly a top-ten CF coach? I would say anyone in the Top 10% pf their profession is at the top...is he #1? NO...but close enough to see the guy that is...

And I'd be curious to know who you think #1 is...I think Kelly hit his ceiling at Notre Dame and never would be #1, but partly because he would never have the resources to be #1...Nicky gets all the glory in the world, but he is the CEO of a company, not a football coach, and is running a pro franchise...I think he has done a great job, but it comes down to this for me (with thanks to someone who was referring to Bear Bryant): "He can take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his..." Saban's proven that is not true of himself...
How hasn't he? And how would you prove that?

How hasn't he? And how would you prove that?
Couldn't take less talented teams at Michigan State and in the pros and make them as successful as when he has all the resources and advantages

Couldn't take less talented teams at Michigan State and in the pros and make them as successful as when he has all the resources and advantages
Pros don't count, and very few coaches can be successful at multiple stops. Ara was .500 at Northwestern. Holtz got no where near the success at Arkansas, and South Carolina as he did at ND. Urban Meyer won at every stop, name another coach that did that?

We have a top 15 roster. It would be top 5 or so with a big time qb
I guess we would have to agree on what a top roster looks like.

Is it who has the most NFL talent?

Is simply top players at each position?

How is team ranking and roster ranking different?

ND is 20th in the country. Does that mean their roster is 20th?

Texas A&M has a stacked roster but they are not a good “team”.

In the pros lol.

He won a NC at 2 different schools and turned around MSU before he left

Reactions: NDinNJ
I guess we would have to agree on what a top roster looks like.

Is it who has the most NFL talent?

Is simply top players at each position?

How is team ranking and roster ranking different?

ND is 20th in the country. Does that mean their roster is 20th?

Texas A&M has a stacked roster but they are not a good “team”.
I base it on overall talent. And you move up if you are elite at key positions...like QB

In the pros lol.

He won a NC at 2 different schools and turned around MSU before he left
He did win 2 nattys...at football factories...remember, one of those was a school that also produced NCs by Les Miles and Ed Orgeron, so that wasn't exactly an achievement. As for MSU, he had a .500 record until his last 10-2 season, after which he left for LSU...and lost three of four bowl games...

Pros? Didn't matter?

He did win 2 nattys...at football factories...remember, one of those was a school that also produced NCs by Les Miles and Ed Orgeron, so that wasn't exactly an achievement. As for MSU, he had a .500 record until his last 10-2 season, after which he left for LSU...and lost three of four bowl games...

Pros? Didn't matter?
No. Not at all. Who cares. How did Urban and Holtz do in the pros? Irrelevant

Yeah LSU was such a football factory, they hadnt won a NC since 1958 before Saban got there.

LSU wasnt much before Saban and now theyve become a power. He built that.

Alabama was down and he built them to the greatest stretch in cfb history

You dont have a clue here

No. Not at all. Who cares. How did Urban and Holtz do in the pros? Irrelevant

Yeah LSU was such a football factory, they hadnt won a NC since 1958 before Saban got there.

LSU wasnt much before Saban and now theyve become a power. He built that.

Alabama was down and he built them to the greatest stretch in cfb history

You dont have a clue here
Saban hasn’t been at LSU in 18 years, he’s hardly responsible for LSU’s recent success.

But Saban’s record is undeniable and spectacular

Saban hasn’t been at LSU in 18 years, he’s hardly responsible for LSU’s recent success.

But Saban’s record is undeniable and spectacular
There is no LSU powerhouse without Saban. They were nothing really before him.

He won a NC there and kids started to flock there. He left them well stocked

Just like if he left Alabama this year, they got plenty of talent to be really good

Once again MF took over a deep and talented roster, and ND based on they performed vs Ohio State, UNC and Clemson. has shown they can play and beat anyone.

But the mark of all inexperienced coaches at ND, is the massive inconsistency. Through 10 games ND has played 4 absolute stinkers vs B rate football teams

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

If ND was 4-0 in those games, I would not say a word. But if you took over a Top 5 roster and you are .500 in the games you should win? Then you will never, ever, compete for a National Championship.

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

That could easily be the worst half of offense in ND football history
I see your point of view. Clearly ND didn’t have a top 5 roster and was over ranked to begin the season. Losing your starting qb after a couple games wasn’t helpful to the continuity of the offense. The defense had a new coordinator with changes that took time to learn and adjust. Then playing freshman in the secondary was indeed a challenge. The receiver shortage showed throughout the season. Combined with new coaches it took awhile. I figured 8 to 9 max wins as season began. Freeman is in good company. Kirby Smart won 8 games his first year……and his recruiting has enabled Georgia to go for another NC this year. I’m with Freeman and happy with the team’s improvement.

I see your point of view. Clearly ND didn’t have a top 5 roster and was over ranked to begin the season. Losing your starting qb after a couple games wasn’t helpful to the continuity of the offense. The defense had a new coordinator with changes that took time to learn and adjust. Then playing freshman in the secondary was indeed a challenge. The receiver shortage showed throughout the season. Combined with new coaches it took awhile. I figured 8 to 9 max wins as season began. Freeman is in good company. Kirby Smart won 8 games his first year……and his recruiting has enabled Georgia to go for another NC this year. I’m with Freeman and happy with the team’s improvement.
Kirby took off in year two and allowed recruiting to sky rocket. Nd needs same to happen in 23

Kirby took off in year two and allowed recruiting to sky rocket. Nd needs same to happen in 23
We totally mis-timed our games. We could have had Richt's last year and Smart's first. Although one of those would have been 2016.

We totally mis-timed our games. We could have had Richt's last year and Smart's first. Although one of those would have been 2016.
Regardless, without Kirby’s phenomenal recruiting it’s all for not. Richt was a good coach and is a fine man. Yet his recruiting was never going to catch the upper echelon programs in SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT